Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new paddocks

• 23-04-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hey im thinking of paddocking off 2 15 acre and 2 12 acre fields and theyre all fairly square.. im just wondering would breaking them into 4 be sufficient in the future with 70 sucklers...would 3 to 4 acre paddocks last that many cattle 3 or 4 days i know it depends on growth and quality but just a guide would be great..its good dry land say

also would 70 acres be big enough for 70 sucklers and they re young till weaning stage

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

hey im thinking of paddocking off 2 15 acre and 2 12 acre fields and theyre all fairly square.. im just wondering would breaking them into 4 be sufficient in the future with 70 sucklers...would 3 to 4 acre paddocks last that many cattle 3 or 4 days i know it depends on growth and quality but just a guide would be great..its good dry land say

also would 70 acres be big enough for 70 sucklers and they re young till weaning stage

thanks

I say it would be you can always use tempory fence reels and pigtail post for a year. no I do not think 4 acres would last 70 sucklers for 4 days even with good dry land am guessing at over 2 acres a day at height of growing season and more at shoulders
    If you are not cutting silage and useing it as grazing platform you will be ok, however if you are doing winter forage as well you equivlent stoking rate is 2.5 LU/HA, You would want to be fairly effecient you would be up there with the Derrypatrick herd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I asked the ag adviser how much land ran well (not excessively) to run 70 sucklers for weanlings. ideally i was told 85 acres. seems possible enough on resonable ground. theres a lad near me has three farms though and reckons that one he has in louth would carry twice the animals than his home place on the same acreage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danpaddyandy

cheers lads ya i was thinking 70 acres would be tight with 70 sucklers and replacements. that 70 acres included the silage as well for the moment but when i build up to over 50 i will probably have to rent 15-20 acres for silage/replacements with all the bad weather at the moment its hard to tell if the paddock systems are as great as everybody says..think ill temporary fence it for few years

Advertisement