Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synching/backing up game saves?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 2:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Just interested in how many of you do this, and how you go about it? Like what programs you use and why, how to set games to save into a folder that will synch etc. Also would be interested in hearing what options there are not just for PC but CFW PSP and DS' with R4 style carts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I got in the habit of backing up my PS3 game saves when playing Little Big Planet. You could lose a lot of work on a created level thanks to one of the many glitches that plagued the game early on. I have tons of back-ups on USB sticks and hardrives, whatever happened to be connected at the time.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to back up my Dark Souls characters prior to YLOD :mad: but I do have my Mass Effect 2 save preserved for ME3!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a 120GB HDD used for game save backups. I have a .bat file that I rarely use that copies over PSP saves to my PC. Steam cloud has started doing some of the work for me though :) Playing Civ V, saving to the cloud and playing on another PC elsewhere is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I don't know about a PSP but the R4 type cart in a DS should have a .sav file for every game stored on it. This is the save file for the game. I would just copy this to another external disk to back it up.
    With PC games, generally the save files are either stored in the game directory in Program Files or else in the Documents folder. Just browse to the particular directory, right click on the Saves folder and select Sent To, choose your backup drive and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You can copy Wii save games to SD card. But can't do it with games like Mario Kart that have online access for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of the best services offered by playstation plus is the ability to link saves to your account on "the cloud" and download the save if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah I am familiar with those ideas, steamcloud is indeed great. None of you use dropbox or boxx though? Is it possible to get the free versions of those services to synch selected folders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The dropbox client will only let you select one folder to sync, but I suppose you could use something like Synctoy to copy the save folder to the dropbox folder, which would then sync it with dropbox. Box.com doesn't have a Windows client for personal use.

Advertisement