Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should you be able to defend your home with a gun?

• 23-04-2012 2:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

Mods, again feel free to lock/move this thread if need be, or PM me if there is an issue with it.

I am opening this thread in a response to some of the people who answered my other thread about capital punishment. Some of the posts have digressed onto burglaries and home invasion.

If you are at home and a burglar is breaaking into your house, ie, forcing in through the window, breaking the door down etc while you are in the house afraid of your life, should you be able to take a gun and shoot to defend yourself and your property?

Currently in our clown of a justice system, a burglar can break in and vandalise your house and make off with hundreds or thousands of euro of stuff or a priceless item left by a deceased loved one.

Has anyone been the victim of a grave miscarriage of justice regarding this?

Should you be able to defend your property with a gun? 53 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Absolutely
    22% 12 votes
    I would not hesistate for a second if my family were threatened
    77% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Currently in our clown of a justice system, a burglar can break in and vandalise your house and make off with hundreds or thousands of euro of stuff or a priceless item left by a deceased loved one.

I didn't realise that dead people had the monopoly on stuff it's ok to shoot people over.

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Pádraig Nally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Absolutely. The bigger the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Guns?

What about a Home Alone-like defense system consisting of upturned nails on the stairs, paint cans that fly down from the ceiling, making the doorknobs red-hot to touch, etc.

Much hilarity ensues when I invite the neighbours over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Ridiculous justice system indeed! It should be out there, proactively stopping thieves!

And by the way OP, you can use a gun to defend your home. If you have a gun lawfully, and you use it exercising what is reasonable to defend your home and your family, you will not have broken any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Guns?

What about a Home Alone-like defense system consisting of upturned nails on the stairs, paint cans that fly down from the ceiling, etc.

Much hilarity ensues.

Personally, I plan to tame and train a Kraken for home defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

If you are at home and a burglar is breaaking into your house, ie, forcing in through the window, breaking the door down etc while you are in the house afraid of your life, should you be able to take a gun and shoot to defend yourself and your property?

Of course you should. You work hard to pay for your house and the contents of the house and then some down and out comes in and tries to take what you've worked hard to pay for, I wouldn't think twice about shooting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

What is the legal position if someone is forcing their way in my window or door, and I am disabled an physically unable to put up a struggle, or I am elderly or a pregnany woman. Am I supposed to roll out the red carpet and give him my cash, car keys, a copy of my bank cards and the deeds to my house :confused: Are you legally allowed to take a bat to him or shoot ??
    What would be the legal ramifications in this instance.

Disregarding the story about the traveller, Ward, I am talking about a scumbag on a one off instance breaking into my house. What would happen should I shoot him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I would use a gun to defend my family, put 9/10 you end up shooting a family member rather than a home invader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

What is the legal position if someone is forcing their way in my window or door, and I am disabled an physically unable to put up a struggle, or I am elderly or a pregnany woman. Am I supposed to roll out the red carpet and give him my cash, car keys, a copy of my bank cards and the deeds to my house :confused: Are you legally allowed to take a bat to him or shoot ??

Disregarding the story about the traveller, Ward, I am talking about a scumbag on a one off instance breaking into my house. What would happen should I shoot him?

You'll get blood on the carpet, so best to get in a lot of "Vanish" to help with the cleanup...or cillit BANG! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Proper education and instruction on the use of guns as well as a psychological evaluation of anyone applying for a gun would be necessary.
    Eliminates guns being given to every pleb that applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Mods, again feel free to lock/move this thread if need be, or PM me if there is an issue with it.

I am opening this thread in a response to some of the people who answered my other thread about capital punishment. Some of the posts have digressed onto burglaries and home invasion.

You don't really keep up to date with the news do you?

This is the second thread of yours where I will point out that actually doing a bit of research can lead to a more informed thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I think a better question would be if you shot someone you thought was breaking into your house and it turns out it was a teenager looking for a football or a friend playing a prank...

i'm all for defending property/family but guns have no place in our homes or in society imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Yes . People should be able to defend their property

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, as long as they have clear intent to do harm at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Mayo example was given so another is Tony Martin in the UK, shot two thieves and was convicted of murder

One thief died
    The other later tried to sue for loss of earnings from his injury, some neck on him to try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You don't really keep up to date with the news do you?

This is the second thread of yours where I will point out that actually doing a bit of research can lead to a more informed thread.

Give the OP a chance, he/she only discovered Boards less than a week ago.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's a large proportion of this country who I wouldn't trust with a scissors, let alone a deadly weapon. What if you think it's an intruder, but it's something harmless, like some kid who's looking for a ball, or some drunk who just stumbles into the wrong garden, or some neighbour who comes onto your property for whatever reason? Are they fair game in this f***ing mad idea? Are we going to execute people who shoot someone by mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Give the OP a chance, he/she only discovered Boards less than a week ago.

let 'em have it, baptizim of fire, i say! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If there is a gun in your house you have a massively increased chance to injure or kill a family member. You are almost twenty times more likely to accidentally kill someone you know rather than a burglar or home invader.

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_19.pdf
    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/justify.cfm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8371731?dopt=Abstract

These stats are from the US, but its not unreasonable to assume the situation would be the same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

This new law states you can defend yourself and your family form an intruder by any means nessesary.
    it dosnt explain what any means nessesary are.
    It's down to you to make the decision but you will still have to prove that shooting an intruder was justifiable in a court.
    Personally and as a firearms owner, I wouldn't condone or encourage anyone to confront a burglar with a firearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mod

FYI, There's no point replying to the OP as s/he has been banned for being a re-reg

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

We got burgled on Sat afternoon. I had left the house onky ten mins. They were watching and when they thought everyone was gone they broke in and robbed a laptop. Only for my flatmate was there they would have fleeced the place.

Had I have been there I would have no trouble taking a baseball bat, stick, chair or watever was near me and rearranging their faces while in my home. I dont own a gun and dont want one but if i had seriously injured that person while he was in the process of robbing my home I would not be too bothered about him. If I were to see him on crutches a week later I would have no issue kicking them from under him. And I mean every word of that.

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I didn't respond to the poll as the second 2 options are the same.

I have numerous guns, all legally held.

I would be very reluctant to use them in a break in situation for the reasons stated above. Firing a gun in close quarters comes with a significant risk of injury or death to you or your family. I know how to use a gun safely, but i'm not trained to use one this kind of scenario.

You cannot get combat firearm training in this country. It's illegal.

Having said all that, if I felt my life or my families lives were under threat I would have no option.

Things can be replaced, lives are a different story. It's a situation I hope I never find myself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

dont own a gun and believe nobody should be allowed own a firearm or keep on in their home. however, i did answer absolutely because if i'd a gun to hand, or any weapon from a knife to miniature totem pole i'd stick it down anybodies throat who broke into my home.

a few year ago the downstairs of my house was cleaned out while me, my wife, my 2 year old son and 4 month old daughter slept upstairs. they cased the house i believe and thought I wasn't there because my car wasn't outside that night. anybody who breaks into my home threatens my family by the very act - someone, me or him/her/them would have died that night if i'd have copped them in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

El Weirdo wrote: »
    mod

FYI, There's no point replying to the OP as s/he has been banned for being a re-reg

/mod

There's a surprise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Whats up with all these threads you keep starting OP?

Batman is a cartoon charecter, not a lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kellybutler

yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes, once you break into someones house you give up your rights not to have the living sh1t kicked out of you or shot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I live in the states, and have a hell of a lot of guns*, I also have a license to carry a concealed pistol (I haven't in years though, I live in a very safe area)

I thoroughly believe in armed retreat though.

ie grab the phone, grab the weapon, grab the loved ones and retreat.
    Lock and barricade all doors possible between you and the aggressor, call the police and hunker down.

If the aggressor tries to break down the barrier between him and you, remind them that you are armed and will use said arm.

If they breach, do what you have to do to insure your safety, their intentions are demonstrably bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Blast them with piss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I believe if someone invades your home you should be able to shoot them in the face and stamp on their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Should you be able to defend your home from a burglar without fear of being punished by the state? Yes.

Should guns be legalised, even if used only for protection? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

i will have no hesitation in using voilence of any form in defence of my property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

The whole issue of using guns for self-defense in your home is a red herring: as it stands you are allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself and your property. This ranges from verbally confronting someone all the way up to lethal force.

As to what will happen if you defend your home by shooting someone with a gun? Well you'll lose your firearms licence, that's a certainty, the rest is up to the court to decide.

Sidenote: everyone should know how to use a gun - they're great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

If you're diasabled, physically unable to put up a struggle, elderly or a pregnany woman, I would not recommend:

A) Rolling out carpets
    B) Taking a bat to him

I would recommend:

C) Calling the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

A man in Salford in England stabbed and fatally wounded a guy who burgled his house. He wasn't charged. It'll be interesting to see what happens here if this new law is tested.

Advertisement