Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband

• 23-04-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello

I have returned to Ireland after an absence of many years and
    setting up house. I have trawled through all the broadband options and the
    one thought that struck me was that they all seemed to charge about the
    same amount. This strikes me as possibly a cosy cartel as besides this commoness just across the border the same options can be had for just about half the price. Is there any official body in Ireland who investigates
    cartels etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Majoni wrote: »
    Hello

I have returned to Ireland after an absence of many years and
    setting up house. I have trawled through all the broadband options and the
    one thought that struck me was that they all seemed to charge about the
    same amount. This strikes me as possibly a cosy cartel as besides this commoness just across the border the same options can be had for just about half the price. Is there any official body in Ireland who investigates
    cartels etc.

Thanks

The Competition Authority or Comreg (or as they are affectionately known Comwreck).

All DSL providers mostly just resell eircom services which is why the pricing is so similar. The pricing of DSL includes line rental which is the highest in the EU by a long margin, this line rental price is set by Comreg.
    Then the other providers see such high pricing and set their own pricing to "compete"...which means no real competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Majoni

Hi Bealtine

Thanks for that informative reply. Sounds like it may be wasting time to complain. However with the ease of email perhaps if enough people complained. I must google to see if there is any Competition group around.

Regards

Advertisement