Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to memorise essays?

• 23-04-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Any tips on memorising essays? (Geography, english, etc)
    So far I've recorded myself reading them aloud and plan to listen to these regularly, should this help?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gentlemanne

write them out over and over.

It works (for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

write them out over and over.

It works (for me)

Yeah but takes forever. :rolleyes: Best way to do it is get a quiet place, recite the script aloud until you can say all of it. Then, a week later, learn it again, and then you'll just have to breeze over it as the exams are coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Any tips on memorising essays? (Geography, english, etc)
    So far I've recorded myself reading them aloud and plan to listen to these regularly, should this help?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    I dunno about Geography but learning essays off by heart for the like of English or History is, in my opinion, a waste of time! Just imagine you've learned off a full personal response to Plath's poetry in relation to her stark realism. Now imagine the paper comes out and it's a personal response discussing her psychological torment or something. If you have an essay completely learned off to a tee your gonna have to dissect it on the day, picking out the bits you can use and the bits you can't and that's gonna be very time consuming!
    My advice and what I'm personally doing is writing out essay plans. In regards to Hamlet for example I write out the title of the question e.g 'The Conflict between Claudius and Hamlet' then write my paragraph title as a subheading. Under this I'll write out the main points of the paragraph and the quotes. It's easy to remember and easy to deconstruct if you need to manipulate it on the day!!
    But if you would prefer to have stuff memorised, the only way that I could ever do it is writing it out.. A LOT.! :pac: Works for me in Physics anyways :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I actually dont think it is possible to learn an essay off by heart, word for word.
    What I do for like geography is:
    - write out the eassy
    - Highlight key words in each par in one colour
    - statistics/dates and such in another
    - place names/examples in another
    - try and learn it by reading through it
    - write it out from memory
    - make a flashcard with key points that were hilghlighted under the headings like intro, par 1 etc ..

I swear I make flashcards for everything :L
    But they really seem to work. I can imagine they'll be really helpful the morning of exams and such insted of cramming from textbooks. :L

Advertisement