Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neon Tetra dying at a rapid rate

Options
  • 23-04-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

Had a shoal of 7 neon tetra and lost 3 over the last 24 hours. They seem to have either white spot (which i'm treating them for at the moment) but now i'm wondering could it be neon tetra disease. They were only put into tank a week ago and were fine up until yesterday.

Of the four remaining, three have white spots and rapid mouth and gill movement. The fourth has no spots and seems to be content with normal mouth and gill movement.

Any opinions please as if neon tetra disease would I be better off euthanising the remaining fish?

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    ph 7.6 (down from 8.4 with the help of alder cones)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have you increased oxygenation of the water?

The medication for treating whitespot reduces the amount of oxygen the water can hold so you need to leave on an airpump or adjust your filter output to churn the surface of the water a bit more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, ya I have an airpump running 24/7 since I medicated.

I wouldn't euthanise just yet tbh. Every time I've treated ich I've lost some fish, I think the medication is nearly as hard on them as anything else. If you're using the eSHa EXIT to treat, it can be combined with their eSHA 2000 which can be a good general purpose medication to help them survive anything else they're suffering from at the same time as the ich / simply prevent the ich wounds from getting infected. Not sure that it's compatible with other medications though?

@ Sleepy, do you think its just white spot? The only white spot treatment I could get yesterday (Sunday) was the Interpet one. Its a Blue liquid, don't know much more about it after that!!

Your nitrate's on the high end of safe so a water change wouldn't do any harm (if you're using a gravel hoover it'll help remove the white spot too).

Just make sure to treat the fresh water when you're topping the tank back up.

• Advertisement

Many thanks sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

I recently had ich, the interpet didnt work at all... Ran the treatment twice but no joy. I then increased the temp to 28 degrees and used Protozin (made by waterlife). Gone in 4 days. Whitespot stays in the substrate so its important to syphon as much out as possible.. As said above if you have a substrate cleaner so gravel syphon, use it ;)

If all the levels are ok ish, is there anything else that could stress them out in the tank? What temp is it running at?

Advertisement