Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Izoard wrote: »
    Good to see you back on the bike.

For a while there, I thought this tri stuff was a mere transition to the swimming forum.

Speaking of which, are you re-considering Brittas Bay or still doing the OW swim?

Very much Tri oriented, Izoard, its just that lately back and knee problems have kept me off the bike and trails. Plus I look hot in speedos; not so hot in gay compression socks:)

I've deferred the Sporting Proud Tri until next year, and am doing the Glendo swim. I'm swim fit, and nothing else, so that takes care of that. Pity, I'd like to do it, and I reckon the distance would have be perfect to have a showdown between the both of us ;). Best of luck doing it!

BennyMul wrote: »
    never nice days when you bonk, and after reading this I remembered the same feeling heading from Tullow to carlow and eating sugar beat on the side of the road, (thats a while back :rolleyes:)

sounds like a good spin do.

Classic!:D Pity the sugar industry is gone!

I know from marathon training, there's one school of thought that says unfueled runs where you bonk a bit, are beneficial, in that they force your body to adapt, and will push back the point when you bonk next time. Ultimately, its meant to help your endurance.

Tue 1,200m swim, including 400m in 6:30

I was still pretty tired after yesterday's bonk, but I needed to put down some sort of 400m marker to plug into the swim excel sheet. 400m warm up was done with tired and heavy arms, and then into the main TT. Nothing much to say, 6:30 for the lot seems about right. Pace felt strong enough, not quite all out speed, but more steady, and enough to leave me panting at the end.

Getting an exact time with my Timex watch is no doubt more accurate than the pool clock and counting laps, so some of my previous long swim times may not bear close scrutiny. No bother, the main thing now is to have a reliable measure from which to check progress. 400m warm down afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

400m is an ugly distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Nothing much to say, 6:30 for the lot seems about right.

Make sure to adjust the time upwards in the excel sheet for that one ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    400m is an ugly distance.

You mean because its somewhere between a sprint and long swim?
    catweazle wrote: »
    Make sure to adjust the time upwards in the excel sheet for that one ;)

One whole second:) You just painted a great big target sign on your back catweazle;)

Wed 10k run, 46:27

Along the railway walk, in the new shoes again. They are fantastic to run in (although I'll reserve full judgement until a month in). Ground was a little harder than usual, but its still mostly trail, and decent underfoot. The first half of this run was done at an easy-ish pace, hitting 5k in 12.5kph average pace. I picked it up for the return, and there was loads of power there- zero knee pain, and it seems as though I'm getting the most from my stride, for the first time in ages. Its a pleasure running like this, so fingers crossed, and I'll just enjoy it while I can. The second half ended with a 4:10 km, to bring the overall pace to 12.9kph.

One whole second:) You just painted a great big target sign on your back catweazle;)

it wont be long before you are pushing sub 6 I would guess, you are way faster than me on your longer distances so its only a matter of getting some speed into the stroke

Alas my swimming days are more or less over until after the Dublin Marathon but I am looking forward to getting back into it then. Swimming was always the favourite of the three

You mean because its somewhere between a sprint and long swim?

Yup. Exactly.

Thurs 2,000m OW swim

Staring at a computer screen all day, moving numbers and amounts around. How did evolution lead us to this? Couldn't wait for 6:00pm, into the refreshing waters of Wicklow Harbour, for 45 mins splashing about. I came out a new man. The computer screen seems friendlier than it was a few hours ago.

• Advertisement

It's like the water washes all of the crud off of us!!! :)

Oh, and I'm just back from Oryx's thread.....she was gunning for sub 3:30 marathon, which I believe is a reasonable (translation, she will smash it!) goal for her. :)

Oh, and I'm just back from Oryx's thread.....she was gunning for sub 3:30 marathon, which I believe is a reasonable (translation, she will smash it!) goal for her. :)

Shhh! Can't mention any times! But that sort of goal would be Marathon-Barbie-esque.

Fri 13k easy run

What amazing shoes.

Shhh! Can't mention any times! But that sort of goal would be Marathon-Barbie-esque.

I know....I should have typed it in pig-latin, she'd never know what the heck we were talking about!! ;)

Question for you - as I was blazing down the mountain Wednesday night clocking a 6:xx min/mile :cool: (if only I could replicate on flat land....<sigh>...) I had two bottles of water (uber-cool donut shaped ones that fit nicely in your hands - part of the Achill half marathon gift bag) - one in each hand (usually I either carry none or only one) and I noticed the slight addition of weight, especailly when my arm pump became faster as my stride became faster, and I wondered if the additional weight was actually benefitting me going downhill - did the slight extra weight in my hands allow my arm action to have a bit extra pizzazz??

I know....I should have typed it in pig-latin, she'd never know what the heck we were talking about!! ;)

Question for you - as I was blazing down the mountain Wednesday night clocking a 6:xx min/mile :cool: (if only I could replicate on flat land....<sigh>...) I had two bottles of water (uber-cool donut shaped ones that fit nicely in your hands - part of the Achill half marathon gift bag) - one in each hand (usually I either carry none or only one) and I noticed the slight addition of weight, especailly when my arm pump became faster as my stride became faster, and I wondered if the additional weight was actually benefitting me going downhill - did the slight extra weight in my hands allow my arm action to have a bit extra pizzazz??

Hmm... I'd say better arm action was feeding into your overall stride and form, more so than gravity sucking the extra weight downwards at a faster rate. As a swimmer you should be using your upper body as part of your overall running motion anyway- maybe this is something to pay attention to on the flat? (you probably do anyway)

(Nerd answer- If you are on top of a hill, holding a liter of water (= one kilogram- see the benefits of the metric system?;)), your {body+water} system holds a certain amount of Potential Energy. Lets say you are 50m higher than the bottom of the road you will run down to. Your potential energy is PE=mgh
    PE= potential energy
    m=mass
    g=gravity=9.8
    h=50m
    Lets say you weigh 60kg, so you have PE of 61*50*9.8=29,890Joules. This energy is released by the time you reach the bottom of the hill, so its been part of your downhill effort.
    Without the water, your PE is 60*50*9.8=29,400J, meaning you require more energy inputted (effort) to reach the base in the same time. Therefore if you carry enough barrels of water to the top of your hill, you'll soon be running down at the speed of light.

There may be minor flaws in discounting turbulance, friction, and other limiting factors, but otherwise this exercise has been a nice diversion from Group Theory;))

Hmm... I'd say better arm action was feeding into your overall stride and form, more so than gravity sucking the extra weight downwards at a faster rate. As a swimmer you should be using your upper body as part of your overall running motion anyway- maybe this is something to pay attention to on the flat? (you probably do anyway)

(Nerd answer- If you are on top of a hill, holding a liter of water (= one kilogram- see the benefits of the metric system?;)), your {body+water} system holds a certain amount of Potential Energy. Lets say you are 50m higher than the bottom of the road you will run down to. Your potential energy is PE=mgh
    PE= potential energy
    m=mass
    g=gravity=9.8
    h=50m
    Lets say you weigh 60kg, so you have PE of 61*50*9.8=29,890Joules. This energy is released by the time you reach the bottom of the hill, so its been part of your downhill effort.
    Without the water, your PE is 60*50*9.8=29,400J, meaning you require more energy inputted (effort) to reach the base in the same time. Therefore if you carry enough barrels of water to the top of your hill, you'll soon be running down at the speed of light.

There may be minor flaws in discounting turbulance, friction, and other limiting factors, but otherwise this exercise has been a nice diversion from Group Theory;))

I converted the 60kg to pounds and was like :eek:. Shave 8kg off that and we're talking!! ;)

I actually don't pay attention to my arms most of the time when I run, but that's a very good point - I will do that this weekend.

I certainly knew about the excess weight assisting with gravity, I just felt like my arms were a pendulum (or maybe the excess weight just drew my attention to my arms) and my mind starting thinking....

As always, thanks for your perspective. :)

I converted the 60kg to pounds and was like :eek:. Shave 8kg off that and we're talking!! ;)

I actually don't pay attention to my arms most of the time when I run, but that's a very good point - I will do that this weekend.

I certainly knew about the excess weight assisting with gravity, I just felt like my arms were a pendulum (or maybe the excess weight just drew my attention to my arms) and my mind starting thinking....

As always, thanks for your perspective. :)

I've no real idea about body weight- we don't have scales in our house- so don't take offence if 60k is high for girls! (Reminds me of a joke I heard today, "Does my ass look fat in this dress?"- "Let me take a few steps back so I can have a look").

You've got it in one about the pendulum effect. A good swinging motion in your arms will feed into a longer stride, and a more dynamic running form. Maybe the water bottles "forced" your arms to swing parallel to your direction? That's efficient, but often runners when tired will swing their arms across their body, and that's a loss of momentum. Everyone's different though, I know some really good runners whose elbows would take your eyes out if you ran beside them. But no harm if all this gabbing results in you considering your upper body form for running.

Sat 1,500m swim race, 25:2x

This has to be the best day of the year- sunny, warm, clear; and Glendalough is one of the best parts of Ireland. Where else would you be but the upper lake, the first time the National Parks have permitted a swim race?

Driving down the valley, the mist was slowly lifting on the lake, a magical scene. Met PeterX who was doing the 750m swim. There was a good crowd gathered, and it was a treat to see the initial race go off. Within a minute, the field had spread, and it was as spread wide as it was long. Lots of sighting error! Anyway, great to watch, and Pater was all smiles exiting, straight away saying he wished he had opted for the longer option.

I entered the water to acclimatise- it was a bit cold, but supremely magical, the water a dark peat brown, with sunrays cutting through it. Imagine water the colour of Guinness. Soon the race gathered, and we were off. I went out hard, and found a good line to the first (of three) bouys. Lots of drafting going on around, my feet were tapped for the first half. I was close to the front, but it was obvious this pace was beyond me, so I eased back a little, and let the frontrunners off. Sighting was great all around, I hit the second bouy, and made for the third. This was a tough effort, I was breathing on two, and could feel the pace. Round the third, and a lad passed me. I got on his feet, and followed those magical orange bubbles as we traversed the top of the lake. Now came the bend for home.

Turn, and look around quickly. There were swimmers ahead, swimmers each side, swimmers behind, this was no walk in the park. At this stage it was all about hanging on, and making sure the effort levels didn't drop. I was on a pair of feet, had someone trying to swim over me; anyone who eased off now would be dropped. Kept the sighting going, and maintained my position to the last bouy, with arms screaming pain now. There was someone trying to pass, I fought them off, but wasn't gaining on the two ahead, who had upped their efforts too. I tried to sprint, but this was as fast as I could go, and came in just behind the two. Turns out the feet I was on were 2nd lady home, and as her time was on the board (25:21), I can guess mine. Never so happy to finish a race, but elated at having given it my all. Tough race!

There was a very relaxed vibe at the whole thing. We were amazed at the different body shapes on the podium- truely swimming is about your engine. Very well organized by openswimmer.ie, I'd recommend their races next year (although €35 per person is too dear- hope they stick with the 2 for 1!). Great day out altogether. (11th place)

Well done and super job keeping the effort high. I assume since this was a "swim only" that it probably attracted some "real" swimmers which makes your placing even more impressive than it already is. And blazing time - 25 minutes is really awesome - and so glad you had a grand day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Did you go skins for this one?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Did you go skins for this one?

Mostly everyone was in a wetsuit (as was I), although there were a few hardy skins all right. Recognized some faces from Wicklow harbour. The water was colder than I expected, certainly colder than the sea, and took a while to get used to. Talking to some of the National Park and Mountain Rescue people there, they said there's a cold current along one side, fed from the river. Great place to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wow. What a setting for a race. Great performance. You have found your niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done sir. I had a nice swim in there with the dog once - fab.
    I have seen that some of the best swimmers are not the slimmest
    You will find your times could be own a bit compared on the salty Irish sea

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well done sir. I had a nice swim in there with the dog once - fab.
    I have seen that some of the best swimmers are not the slimmest
    You will find your times could be own a bit compared on the salty Irish sea

The lad who came second wouldn't have looked out of place swallying pints on a Saturday afternoon-Sunday evening barstool. Large lad, but he was some swimmer.
    Deffo less buoyancy than the brine, I was a little surprized at the time, given the effort (although I don't know how much +/- 1500m it was).

Did you find any pennies on the side of Wicklow roads today? Hot day for bike scavenging.

Well done, thats a great time. Peterx swimming :eek: - does that mean we might be seeing him try out a few triathlons next year. I would hazard he would fairly steam through his rivals once he is out of the water

catweazle wrote: »
    Well done, thats a great time. Peterx swimming :eek: - does that mean we might be seeing him try out a few triathlons next year. I would hazard he would fairly steam through his rivals once he is out of the water

He's the nicest guy to talk to, genuinely into any sport for the fun of it, and was trying swimming for the craic. But one eye was on the times of the winners, their build, and their training- I'd say he'd be a demon in Tri next year.

Sun 21k easy hill run

Yesterday's brilliant sunshine has given was to more misty and damp conditions, so I skipped the club bike spin, and ran from Tinahely up Mangan's Lane, and did a circuit of the Kyle loop. It's soft and grassy underfoot for many sections, but other trails have pointy gravel thrown on them, and in these shoes, you feel every stone underfoot. The pace was kept steady- if I had any running friends left, I could have managed a conversation throughout. It's a tough drag back up the far end of the hill, but great views from the top. Coming back down was jarring a bit on my knees, but if I took off the breaks and let the legs run, that pain disappeared. Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Enjoyable weekend Paul by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great going in the swim, Kurt -I recognize some solid swimmers in that list - you are keeping good company!

Advertisement