Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hey do those 5*100 sets in reverse order of RTs to make it a more challenging set. I hear ya on the bloody sniffles :mad:

Great idea.

I was talking to some of the Tri club last night, we need to start getting some professional guidance for what to do for swim sets, so I've got a few names from the local swim club. There's no fun in doing sessions alone, for short work like this I imagine a bit of rivalry will help everyone's times.

Fri about 2,800m OW

Drove into Wicklow Harbour, and immediatly came face to face with crashing waves, boats been flung all over the place, breakers hitting over the pier...:eek:! Abhainn was there waiting, which was just as well as I probably would have bailed a solo swim in those conditions. Nevertheless, in we went, and started swimming, we said we'd try a lap around the bobbing boats. Round one bouy, turn to face the swell... wow, I was thrown about in every direction. Pretty big waves had to be swam into, air gasped when you could get it- all in all it was very good sighting practice. I got one lap done, turned and saw Abhainn behind, and took off for more of the same. With lap two done, I couldn't see my buddy. He's probably drowned, but I should still finish the session, Joe would want it that way. Lap three was still as "interesting" as ever, although the worst of the waves seemed to have gone by lap four. I was going to make it five, but glanced up and saw Abhainn at the cars, fully dressed. Got out, he had bailed after one lap, the big baby. I guess he's got bigger fish to fry next week ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Fri about 2,800m OW

Drove into Wicklow Harbour, and immediatly came face to face with crashing waves, boats been flung all over the place, breakers hitting over the pier...:eek:! Abhainn was there waiting, which was just as well as I probably would have bailed a solo swim in those conditions. Nevertheless, in we went, and started swimming, we said we'd try a lap around the bobbing boats. Round one bouy, turn to face the swell... wow, I was thrown about in every direction. Pretty big waves had to be swam into, air gasped when you could get it- all in all it was very good sighting practice. I got one lap done, turned and saw Abhainn behind, and took off for more of the same. With lap two done, I couldn't see my buddy. He's probably drowned, but I should still finish the session, Joe would want it that way. Lap three was still as "interesting" as ever, although the worst of the waves seemed to have gone by lap four. I was going to make it five, but glanced up and saw Abhainn at the cars, fully dressed. Got out, he had bailed after one lap, the big baby. I guess he's got bigger fish to fry next week ;):D

You can't beat a swim in rough seas, it's great fun. Abhainn better hope Bara isn't too rough :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Abhainn better hope Bara isn't too rough :)

To be fair to him, Barca swim would be cancelled if it is anything like this evenings. The Sea 1, Humans 0, tonight; I'm wrecked from the battering I got.

Can't get that 5k outta my mind. Might see you down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

To be fair to him, Barca swim would be cancelled if it is anything like this evenings. The Sea 1, Humans 0, tonight; I'm wrecked from the battering I got.

Can't get that 5k outta my mind. Might see you down there.

Do the 5k, register now as you will kick yourself otherwise. There can be pretty big swells in Calella but not so bad once you get further out though. Bambatta and I had a swim a few months ago and surf boards would have been more useful, good practice for saving yourself when drowning.

Your obv a swim loon ploughing on :)

• Advertisement

Sat 10k steady run 46:25

While Junior started back at Rugby, I lapped the pitches, for a decent run on soft grass. The first mile (I still had my Garmin set for the HM last weekend) was 8:20, and they got progressively quicker as the laps went on. Finished with a 6:xx mile.
    Do the 5k, register now as you will kick yourself otherwise.

Your obv a swim loon ploughing on :)

You're right, I have registered just now, and you're right, I'm obviously a loon. Fifty smackeroonies is pretty high, but I'm in good shape for it, it's not going to interfere with any goal races, and I'd be kicking myself doing nothing next Sun, when everyone else is having fun with big races:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The 5k swim needs your crazy arse in there stroking with the best of them. Right call on signing up! :D

Sat pm 4,200m OW swim

I had to work in Dublin this afternoon (have to pay for that race one way or another), and decided to swing by the harbour on my way home. I figured I'd do about 1,000m, very easy. When I parked the car, by total coincidence Abhainn was suited up and ready to go in. He was in good form, having done 60k+ hard on the bike, and a run off that, already today. My "baby" comment above was mentioned, and I knew all hopes of an easy swim had gone out the window. Hoist by my own petard;)

The water was very calm today, a total contrast. I felt it tough enough today, my body was feeling yesterdays waves. First lap went ok, then just at a steady effort for the rest. Abhainn was moving well, I pulled away on lap one, but he maintained the distance over the next few laps, he's going to slay that swim Barca. My arms were tired after the agreed four laps, but no sign of Abhainn slowing down, he was going for a fifth. If I didn't do this I'd never hear the end of it, so around again one more time. Decent swim effort wise, but on tired arms, I doubt the time will be anything to write about.

That's 10k swim total for the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sat pm 4,200m OW swim

I had to work in Dublin this afternoon (have to pay for that race one way or another), and decided to swing by the harbour on my way home. I figured I'd do about 1,000m, very easy. When I parked the car, by total coincidence Abhainn was suited up and ready to go in. He was in good form, having done 60k+ hard on the bike, and a run off that, already today. My "baby" comment above was mentioned, and I knew all hopes of an easy swim had gone out the window. Hoist by my own petard;)

The water was very calm today, a total contrast. I felt it tough enough today, my body was feeling yesterdays waves. First lap went ok, then just at a steady effort for the rest. Abhainn was moving well, I pulled away on lap one, but he maintained the distance over the next few laps, he's going to slay that swim Barca. My arms were tired after the agreed four laps, but no sign of Abhainn slowing down, he was going for a fifth. If I didn't do this I'd never hear the end of it, so around again one more time. Decent swim effort wise, but on tired arms, I doubt the time will be anything to write about.

I suspect you may be fnishing your 5km next week somewhat faster than I will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool, good luck with the 5k KG. No bother to you since you have a 6k solo under your belt this summer...

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    I suspect you may be fnishing your 5km next week somewhat faster than I will be :)

Yeah but if there was a bike and run afterwards...;)
    Cool, good luck with the 5k KG. No bother to you since you have a 6k solo under your belt this summer...

Cheers MCOS. The distance will be no bother alright, but its all about time, in particular the coveted Boardsie Perpetual Trophy Record Time ;)

May as well aim high! :D

Sun 1 hr turbo

Bleeeuugh! Sufferfest "Downward Spiral" for 60 minutes. Hard effort was as hard as I could go in the saddle, I'm going to leave standing effort until I get used to the turbo.

5 mins WU

2 min hard, 2 mins easy
    1:45 H, 1:45 E
    1:30 H, 1:30 E
    1:15 H, 1:15 E
    1:00 H, 1:00 E
    0:45 H, 0:45 E
    0:30 H, 0:30 E

5 mins easy

Repeat the above set

15 sec "bonus" sprint
    Another 15 bonus. Last one, we promise.
    Did we say last one? We meant this 15 sprint is the last one.
    Haha. We know you know we were lying. Lets test your tolerance with another 15 bonus.

5 min WD

I considered going for a swim in the pool of sweat under the bike, gulping water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Is your 5k swim in Killaloe Kurt? I seem to have missed where you said it was on?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Is your 5k swim in Killaloe Kurt? I seem to have missed where you said it was on?

Yes, its on next Sunday in Killaloe (i3 swim), when everyone else will be tackling Challenge Barcalona or Berlin marathon. Looking forward to it!

Yes, its on next Sunday in Killaloe (i3 swim), when everyone else will be tackling Challenge Barcalona or Berlin marathon. Looking forward to it!

Coolio I should be down having a look as I live nearby. Will keep an eye out for you (although I have no idea what you look like :D)

Great! Be sure and say Hi!

I look like this if I'm trying to charm pretty ladies, but there's a good chance I'll look like this monster out of the water ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I was hoping to do it next weekend too but unfortunately cannot get the time off work, working weekend nights, would have liked to give it a lash- would have been very slow though...the bro is doing it - he is aiming for sub 1hr20mins- think i would have been looking more at 1hr50mins myself:D...hope weather is good for ye, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sat pm

Is that your first time for 10k in a week?

Really impressed by your effort after Fri's Perfect Storm conditions, well thats how is looked to me.

Hey Aqua Boy!!! You got your snorkle and fins ready for the weekend???? :D

Abhainn wrote: »
    Is that your first time for 10k in a week?

Hmm, thought it was, but looking back, I've done it before. Not at the same intensity though.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey Aqua Boy!!! You got your snorkle and fins ready for the weekend???? :D

I'm really looking forward to it:) Training has been zero the past few days as I have a lousy head cold, but I should be right as rain by Sunday.

• Advertisement

I wish you good weather and look forward to your report. I really think you are going to love this swim! :)

Sun 5k swim race lough Derg, 1:45

I had a bloody disaster today, I'm pretty pissed off about it. No training last week owing to a head cold, but that had sort of lifted, so I don't think it is any excuse. One night during the week I woke up with an almighty Charlie horse (calf cramp), nearly crying from the pain, and it took a while to disapate... should have paid it more attention.

Anyway, drove down to Lough Derg, regged, met with Griffin, and we took the bus to the start. Decent conditions, only a bit of chop in the widest section. I was at the front at the start- useless place to be in a 5k race, as I got cought up in the scrum for position at the beginning. Bodies everywhere, a shoal of sprinting swimmers. After a bit of argy bargy I let them go, and swam a bit wide of the pack. Sure enough, I started passing sprinters after 500m or so. I was feeling good, holding a nice stroke in the water, sighting well- and I had target after target. I had read MCOS's report from last year, about how he blew up in the final km, so I was determined to keep something in reserve. Even so, things were going to plan. I had no idea of pace or distance, but was content with the way things were going up to the half way point (just before a headland).

Suddenly, my calf wrenched into spasm, and I felt an excruitiating pain envelop the muscle from knee to ankle. I stopped for a couple of minutes, tried to knead it out, no use. No kayak nearby either (I would have quit with the pain). All the while seeing swimmers gaining on me, so I took off again, and spent much of the rest of the race fighting spasm. I held my feet at a hard 90 degree angle, and dragged them behind. Anytime I tried to kick, cramp came again. I started getting passed by more and more, a horrible feeling since my stroke was decent, I felt strong- if I ever wondered before what difference my kick makes, now I know.

Got into the channel after an eternity, tried to keep pace with a guy who was audibly giving it effort, but no use. Passes by more, I just wanted this part to end. Finally, out across the river again (and dragged downstream unexpectedly), and over the finish line, 1:45. I had been targeting under 1:35, and if I'm honest, 1:30. Nightmare.

The race itself was ok I thought, organization decent enough, but I wouldn't be back, its just too pricey. Still, a marker (of sorts) for a 5km swim, and I'm going to look into stopping that sort of cramp again. It convulsed when I stood up at the line, thankfully a medical officer knew what to do, and talked about trigger points while digging his thumb into the most knotted part. Ouch!

Well done in completing the 5k - quite an accomplishment in itself, with or without the cramp. Mind the calf - don't know if your diet (potassium?) has anything to do with the cramp, or perhaps it's just your body still recovering from illness, or maybe you were tensing up....????.....but still, another race box checked off for you today! :)

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day while visiting my part of the world. I didnt get a chance to come down to see it. At least you know you are well able for this long distance swimming lark, even with only one leg working :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad day while visiting my part of the world. I didnt get a chance to come down to see it. At least you know you are well able for this long distance swimming lark, even with only one leg working :)

Thanks bally8, it is indeed a wonderful part of the world. What a great resource to have in Lough Derg! I didn't hang round too long after in case the dark cloud over me spread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sun

Suddenly, my calf wrenched into spasm, and I felt an excruitiating pain envelop the muscle from knee to ankle.

I knew it, just knew it, swimming is bad for you!
    Off with Speedos and on with the Solomans I say ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I knew it, just knew it, swimming is bad for you!
    Off with Speedos and on with the Solomans I say ;)

I've PM'd you those photos, Speedoless and Salomon clad. Whatever floats your boat BB, its all good, but try not to puke. ;)

I don't know where I go from here. My shoulder is still aching from 2.5k pulling rigid legs in the race, my cold has moved to the throat, so nothing done training wise since. I'm really annoyed after spending so much money and time into a race I fecked up owing to cramp; to be honest, one of those "why am I at this lark?" feelings. MCOS is a much better swimmer than me, but he swam a bad (previous year) 1:35 on a choppy day, and I was never so disgusted at a race as when I saw 1:45 for mine on a calm surface. (No offence meant by using you as a standard Mike, I consider your low points aiming high for myself; I was expecting under 1:35 on the day at least). Not looking for ego boosts by posting this at all, but I'm on the brink of deciding my "career" as such is over (not that it ever began), and just thinking of hanging on this forum and doing an IronMan because it ticks a box. Which is a useless way to be.

I'm only logging here because it stops me getting fatter than I already am, so any sport I do is primarily for fitness. But it burns like crazy to just give up, so instead I'll put my cards on the table, and make a stupid goal (or be embarrassed next year for having done so): my knee hurts right now (long term), shoulder hurts (short term), throat hurts (its winter), and I'm borderline fattie alco auld fella: but decent sub-1:10 Valentia Sprint next year, thats the shout-out goal. And I need a goal or it just becomes ticking boxes.

*Edit* Just re-read that, it sounds very whiney. I really enjoy the swimming, bikes have taken me on some lovely routes, and I can run far and high enough without pain, to include some great off-road routes. If that's all I have, the training, that's enough. Anything better or faster, I'll have to earn by putting in the work. Sometimes writing stuff down makes it clearer.

Two things:

1) Can you PM me that photo. ;)

2) You are one of my inspirations...you help keep me going sometimes when I'd rather stop.....you are funny.....you are smart....you are witty....and have experience and knowledge that I look to and learn from....and sometimes things don't go according to plan, but that's when we step back and realize it's about the bigger picture rather than the smaller - translation: it's about the adventure and what surrounds us and not the time on the clock. I love that you've set a goal, but never, ever, ever, ever be embarrased for setting that goal. However, if you ever quit this forum, we'll use your Speedoless and Salomon clad photo and give you something to be embarrassed about!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

How about a wine tasting log? ;)

Chin up, forget about it. A bad day at the office, thats all. A cycle at the weekend for sure. That, or a gentle hill run :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Two things:

1) Can you PM me that photo. ;)

2) You are one of my inspirations...you help keep me going sometimes when I'd rather stop.....you are funny.....you are smart....you are witty....and have experience and knowledge that I look to and learn from....and sometimes things don't go according to plan, but that's when we step back and realize it's about the bigger picture rather than the smaller - translation: it's about the adventure and what surrounds us and not the time on the clock. I love that you've set a goal, but never, ever, ever, ever be embarrased for setting that goal. However, if you ever quit this forum, we'll use your Speedoless and Salomon clad photo and give you something to be embarrassed about!!! :)
    How about a wine tasting log? ;)

Chin up, forget about it. A bad day at the office, thats all. A cycle at the weekend for sure. That, or a gentle hill run :rolleyes:

Cheers lads, I was editing as both those comments came in.

@DD, agree with you 100%, its the journey. That's what makes it fun- and reading about everyone else's journey is what makes hanging on Boards fun, its why we post here. We've here to do whatever best we can, whatever that may be. FWIW I've been here since 2008, and you are a hugely positive breath of fresh air, certainly reading your log is something to click in for every evening, thats what its all about. Reading other people's highs and lows helps us gauge our own yardstick. I think I actually will PM you some saucy photos, god knows the world needs more chicks with a kink for mopey M40's :D

@ Mick, like I edited; whiney. Sure, lets get out for a bike ride this weekend mate, gotta grab it while you can. Easy hill run too, any time that suits you (did I ever do any other sort but easy:D)

Advertisement