Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Moonlight run sounds cool! I'll get back to ya soon about the lodge, depends on how far away Obe Wan's gaff is. Probably itinerary for the 29th sir? If we leg it up the hill for a dip, do we leg it back down then repeat on bike? Have you got arm bands for the hobbit or will I bring some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Moonlight run sounds cool! I'll get back to ya soon about the lodge, depends on how far away Obe Wan's gaff is. Probably itinerary for the 29th sir? If we leg it up the hill for a dip, do we leg it back down then repeat on bike? Have you got arm bands for the hobbit or will I bring some?

I'm guessing meet up at 1pm, begin run to lake, swim, run back down. Might be too messy organizing bikes- they would need to be brought up the trails beforehand, and people will just be arriving around lunchtime. I have an awesome run route back down, though! We'll need to be off the hills by 4:30 for daylight. Back to the Lodge for a shower, drinks & meal.

There are taxi services to local towns, I guess a few sharing a taxi to Wicklow wouldn't break the bank. Might be the way to go- but I'll hold off confirming/cancelling rooms for a few days yet.

Wed 2,000m swim

400m warm up (missed the start button again, I now need to listen for the shrill underwater beep that tells you its started)

400m TT came in about 7:05 (missed stop button at end). I was doing this in 6:30 a few months back, my recent swim fitness has gone to pot.

1,200m mixed, including 5x50 off 60 secs (coming in about 50), then messing around with strokes to see what the watch could do. It's mixed up my breast and back.

Wed pm 5k recovery run

Nothing exceptional about this forest run, excepting the fact it was done in the gleaming of two colours; any light was silver, and any dark was comprised of the darkest of dark yellows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Make sure they have a large buffet with muffins in the lodge. The big man likes his food:).

I have my own armbands btw.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm guessing meet up at 1pm, begin run to lake, swim, run back down.
    Are wetsuits happening or is it total hardcore?

Oryx wrote: »

;)

These glacial lakes are a good deal colder than the sea. I don't imagine it'll be anything more than a quick dip and splash. Wetsuits if you wish, and a couple of swim hats, will mean you can stay in a bit longer- and how often do you get to spend time swimming in a lake in the mountains? It'll just mean running up with a bag of gear and towel.

Needless to say, safety is something to be considered, we don't want anyone suffering from hypothermia in the hills. I'll have foil blankets, bivvy bags, hot flask, first aid, etc. just in case.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

;)

These glacial lakes are a good deal colder than the sea. I don't imagine it'll be anything more than a quick dip and splash. Wetsuits if you wish, and a couple of swim hats, will mean you can stay in a bit longer- and how often do you get to spend time swimming in a lake in the mountains? It'll just mean running up with a bag of gear and towel.

Needless to say, safety is something to be considered, we don't want anyone suffering from hypothermia in the hills. I'll have foil blankets, bivvy bags, hot flask, first aid, etc. just in case.
    Glacial lakes. Nope youre not making it sound warm alright. It will replace my normal Christmas dip in the sea. :)

Yeah, I get hypothermic easily. :p But as long as we dont hang about and get running again quickly I imagine it will be fine.

Thurs 7k steady

I managed to squeeze in a run after dusk this evening, just before the heavy rains started. Headlamp all the way, the trail was an obstacle course of branches, puddles, and slop, after last nights rain. Picked up the pace from the get-go, and kept it at a decent clip to the turnaround and home again. The rain was just starting over the final couple of km's, a meteor shower of bright dashes from the torch.

Now for a slap-up Thanksgiving dinner, my American missus has been preparing hard for a few days. Local pheasant instead of turkey, but she will have sweet potato and marshmallows, pecan pie, cranberry sauce, and I have a nice bottle of French Freedom fleurie to wash it all down. Happy America day, pilgrims!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Oryx wrote: »

I was going to suggest we do the honourable mad thing and strip off and brave the icy waters in our birthday suits.
    Then I thought some of you guys might not want to do that with the cold water and all that...;)

KG Where is the lodge?

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    I was going to suggest we do the honourable mad thing and strip off and brave the icy waters in our birthday suits.
    Then I thought some of you guys might not want to do that with the cold water and all that...;)

KG Where is the lodge?

http://www.glenmalurelodge.ie/

Google maps, "Glenmalure" or "Drumgoff".

About 10k west of Rathdrum.

Sat 3,000m swim 59:58

A long drive to a long tutorial with a long drive back means a long swim was needed. Two lanes roped, which is good for a Saturday afternoon. The first 1000m was 18:xx, the next was about 20:00, the last was drifting a bit, and I was lucky to dip under the hour for the full 3km. I was going quicker a few months back, but that'll come again once I build up endurance and time in the water.

The watch is a great help, don't have to count laps at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The watch is a great help, don't have to count laps at all.

I assume you have it set to vibrate every 100 or so? Find the same myself, just count the vibrations, 10 vibrates=1k of swimming:)

I assume you have it set to vibrate every 100 or so? Find the same myself, just count the vibrations, 10 vibrates=1k of swimming:)

That's a handy feature, will do. We need a Garmin Swim megathread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm waiting for your swim charts and graphs so I can analyze your data. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm waiting for your swim charts and graphs so I can analyze your data. ;)

Click on the blue hypertext for data, I've linked each of my swims to Garmin connect since getting the watch.

Sun 10k run

Steady pace, up along the soaked forest paths, very wet out there today. I feel good running in the rain, seem to go faster with less effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sun 10k run

Steady pace, up along the soaked forest paths, very wet out there today. I feel good running in the rain, seem to go faster with less effort.

Around next Saturday morning for a jog around the intended Annacurra route? More wet trails but great fun.

Around next Saturday morning for a jog around the intended Annacurra route? More wet trails but great fun.

I'd like to, but can't commit just yet. Another tutorial next Saturday, this time probability. There's a chance I might skip it though:)

Tue 2,250 swim

400m warm-up.
    10x100m off 2:00 (coming in 1:44-1:49)
    250m easy
    10x25 hard, 25 easy, no rest.
    100m warmdown

I need to get more of these session into my program. The 10x100 felt tough enough, but having a 10 sec break after each meant that the form felt decent throughout. These need to be going under 1:40 off 1:50 in a months time or so.
    The watch messed up the data for the 10,25 hard, 25m easy, but no real issue with that, these are going to be on feel in any case.

I got some very good news this morning in the form of my Pure Maths exam result, so I was in tip-top form. The pool was empty except for me and a chinaman, who kept on swimming to the rope at the end wall, and swinging on it so that his head was over my every turn. Most passing strange.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the Pure Maths exam!! :)

Wed 7k run

It's a great fresh bright winters morning here, perfect weather for a run along the railway walk. Met up with Slogger Jogger, between the two of us we might have one functioning pair of legs. Easy enough pace, good to have company. I could see Lug in the distance, covered in a thick shroud of brilliant snow.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats on the Pure Maths exam!! :)

Thanks Dory! No rest for the wicked though, Applications of probability, and Computability, are my bedtime reading for the moment :)

Fri 3,000m swim 58:43

I'm happy with this one, its well over a minute quicker than last week, with no discernable extra effort. That sort of tells me that my times from earlier in the year should come back quick enough, once I keep in the pool on a regular basis.

The first 1,000m was a steady 19:05, focus was on keeping the underarm motion solid with a good exit. Second was a little harder, had to concentrate on keeping form from halfway; 19:32. The last came in 19:41, so the consistency was there all right, its just a matter of trusting in your stroke once tired.

Sat 11km hill run

Met up with slogger for a first look at his new extended Anncurra race route. First impressions are good, its a decent improvement with the additional spurs. They are a bit less traily, and add some of the spectacular views that this area is abundant with. We negotiated a huge ice-covered puddle (that'll be fun come race day!), and jogged around the back side of the hill, to see a magnificant snow-covered Lug across the valley.

Knees were getting a little sore, not enough to stop me enjoying this run, but enough to tell me my IMRA running days are over. Pity, as I really liked those races, but every cloud has a chlorine lining, as they say.

Sun 10k steady run

Met up with PN on a particularly dank and wet Sunday afternoon. It was freezing starting off, but the comfortable pace soon warmed us up. Lots of puddles, lots of rain, lots of cold wet mist.

Tried out my new Vivobarefoot zero lift shoes, they felt good, decent sole on them, and they felt good underfoot. My calves will be tight tomorrow (though not as tight as someone elses...)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

Damage might not be as bad as first suspected, there's no swelling or discoloration. Next time you have guests,entertain them properly.

PosNeg wrote: »
    Damage might not be as bad as first suspected, there's no swelling or discoloration. Next time you have guests,entertain them properly.

So it was just the pace was a bit fast for you and you needed an exit? Suspected as much.

Point taken about Sunday entertaining; no more Cavan dinners.

Speaking of entertaining....PN, how was your adventure?? Everything and everyone intact? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

He shined his new spikeless spikes into my face. Something had to give and it was one of my calf muscles. I'll run again, but not for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

PosNeg wrote: »
    He shined his new spikeless spikes into my face. Something had to give and it was one of my calf muscles. I'll run again, but not for a few weeks.

Sorry to hear about the unfair play and your wounded calf muscle, but I was actually inquiring about your recent international adventure. ;)

Advertisement