Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the unfair play and your wounded calf muscle, but I was actually inquiring about your recent international adventure. ;)

No cigars:mad:

Tue 2,000m swim, including 5x100m, 5x50m

First 1,000m was a steady paced 19:30.

Then 5x100m off 1:55 (1:41, 3x 1:45, 1:44), they felt tough. Going in the right direction, but still too slow, I need to be going under 1:40.

5x50m off 1:00 (47, 49, 52, 51, 48). Some of these are a little slow, as I scramble to hit the lap button and sometimes miss. I'll have to find a better way to do these, it's pointless timing 50's if I'm adding a second or three at the end fumbling with the watch.

250m slow warm down.

I assume you have it set to vibrate every 100 or so? Find the same myself, just count the vibrations, 10 vibrates=1k of swimming:)

I've had a look at the manual, and the web- I don't think there is a vibrate function with the Swim? Are you using the 910?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I've had a look at the manual, and the web- I don't think there is a vibrate function with the Swim? Are you using the 910?

I am indeed, i thought they were using the same swim functionality on both units.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I assume you have it set to vibrate every 100 or so? Find the same myself, just count the vibrations, 10 vibrates=1k of swimming:)

In that case would you not be just counting vibrations instead of lengths? It probably has additional features, but surely in such circumstances it's just as easy lose count? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It would surprise me if it doesn't have a vibrate swim function. Someone here probably knows for sure, but if you don't have a toll free Garmin number to call, let me know and I'll give them a ring. Or just ask Krusty. He knows everything Garmin. He usually answers my Garmin questions with a YouTube Garmin video link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Assumes then you don't take splits of your times then? no?

zico10 wrote: »
    In that case would you not be just counting vibrations instead of lengths? It probably has additional features, but surely in such circumstances it's just as easy lose count? Or am I missing something?

I have the vibrate function set to every 100, given most of my pool sets are 50 to 400 i never really need to use it as its hard to lose count doing those distances. Where i see the vibrate come in handy is whilst swimming OW (yet to use in OW), count the vibrations to get an idea on where you are in the swim. Edit to add it has lots of other features such as tracking your swolf, strokes per length etc.
    tunney wrote: »
    Assumes then you don't take splits of your times then? no?
    Oh i do take note of the split times, i hit the lap button at the end of whatever interval i am doing.

There's no vibrate function. There is a shrill alarm, which sounds at the start of an interval (need to press button), one would imagine it would be possible to pair this to sound every 100m or whatever, but I can't find any instructions to do so.

Its not the end of the world, but it would be handy for doing the longer sets. I'm sort of thinking I should have got the 910, ah well, at least I have a shiny crystal clear screen display.
    DC Rainmakers review

Pros:
    - Very accurate, I had no issues with false laps/lengths
    - Clear and easy to read display
    - Relatively cheap – $150
    - Integrates with Garmin Connect
    - Can be worn as a regular watch
    Cons:
    - Unable to add more than one customized page (I wish I could do 2-3, or customize the base ones)
    - Doesn’t contain alert functionality like FR910XT (distance/time)
    - Can’t support that crazy multi-mile long pool in Chile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I have the vibrate function set to every 100, given most of my pool sets are 50 to 400 i never really need to use it as its hard to lose count doing those distances. Where i see the vibrate come in handy is whilst swimming OW (yet to use in OW), count the vibrations to get an idea on where you are in the swim.

Is an accurate measurement of distance really all that important when swimming open water? Even in the same body of water there are so many variables from day to day, that I imagine time v distance is fairly meaningless.
    Maybe if swimming every day your average time might mean something, but if that's not the case I don't see the need to fret about it. Time spent in the water and guesstimates of distance were always good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's no vibrate function. There is a shrill alarm, which sounds at the start of an interval (need to press button), one would imagine it would be possible to pair this to sound every 100m or whatever, but I can't find any instructions to do so.

Its not the end of the world, but it would be handy for doing the longer sets. I'm sort of thinking I should have got the 910, ah well, at least I have a shiny crystal clear screen display.

Nope no vibrate function and no way to pair the alarm sound. I take a quick glance at the watch when touching the wall for turnaround. Screen is easy enough to read.

Did you get the drill function figured out? I initially found it a bit fiddly messing around with stop, start, pause, go all over the place, but think I've the hang of it now.

Nope no vibrate function and no way to pair the alarm sound. I take a quick glance at the watch when touching the wall for turnaround. Screen is easy enough to read.

Did you get the drill function figured out? I initially found it a bit fiddly messing around with stop, start, pause, go all over the place, but think I've the hang of it now.

Haven't started using the drill function yet amphking, mainly because I, er, don't know what swim drills are. I'm pretty clueless in the pool, beyond a few sets of interested's sessions I saw, I mainly just go up and down lots of times at a steady pace. I've the SwimSense book but am currently too busy to read it. Our Tri club will be getting an instructor in the new year, for the pool in Arklow, I need to learn some good habits:o

Fri 2,000m swim 38:29

I've been feeling very run down the last few days, little energy at all. I'm putting this down to working to an exam deadline last Wednesday- Computational Logic, its very new to me, and extremely challenging. Sometimes you can misunderestimate how a fatigued mind means a fatigued body, and that was very much the case recently. I had to drag myself to the pool today. Very glad I did though, because this swim helped both body and mind.

I purposefully concentrated on my underwater pull- bending at the elbow and "scooping" water under my tummy, and then keeping the exit long and strong. This was an experiment to see how fast I'd go keeping the stroke correct, rather than just going for pure swim power. As it turns out, it was useful, and faster than recent swims (19:09 for the first kilometer, 19:20 for the second). Those times make me happy, because there is power to bring to the swim yet, so i should be going 18:xx per km soon.

PS This swim was brought to you by the number 1, and the letter O. I was online with my maths books at 6am this morning, and Oryx posted something on her log at that time. I was still half-faffing around with the books at 9am, by which time she had already logged her swim. Got me up off my ar$e and out the door, nice one girl.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glad to be of service. Though you wont ever encourage me to take up computational logic, whatever that is. Right now Im struggling even to get my rusty brain to take in the causes of unconsciousness and symptoms of cerebral trauma, which is pretty uncomplicated compared to what you do.

Sat 80 mins turbo easy effort

Speaking of unconsciousness, I endured 80 mins turbo watching some dumb teenage movie about time travel, there's worse things you could be doing on a Saturday afternoon I suppose.

Sat 80 mins turbo easy effort

Speaking of unconsciousness, I endured 80 mins turbo watching some dumb teenage movie about time travel, there's worse things you could be doing on a Saturday afternoon I suppose.
    Like working in retail...

Oryx wrote: »
    Like working in retail...

...or client year-end investment portfolios, or Unlimited Register Machines, or...

Yup, small mercies, Oryx, at least I was on the bike. And it wasn't one of your 6am starts. And its an agreeable time to open a good Saumur red wine:)

Sun 3,200m swim

1,000m in 18:34, there was a guy in the lane who is fairly handy, I started as he turned, and it seemed as if he was doing a few steady. He did 500m, and was catching a meter on me each length, so I had to work a bit to stay up with him. I continued on feeling good in the water, decent stroke with good overall power.

5x100m off 1:55, came in 1:40, 1:41, 1:44, 1:47, 1:47

5x100m off 2:00, 1:46, 1:53, 1:54, 1:49, 1:47

500m in 9:36, 5x100m off 2:05, 1:54, 1:55, 1:54, 1:58, 1:56

200m w/d

zico10 wrote: »
    Is an accurate measurement of distance really all that important when swimming open water? Even in the same body of water there are so many variables from day to day, that I imagine time v distance is fairly meaningless.
    Maybe if swimming every day your average time might mean something, but if that's not the case I don't see the need to fret about it. Time spent in the water and guesstimates of distance were always good enough for me.

If you are away on hols or training camp and do not have access to a pool i can see it being useful getting a specific set done in OW. Allows you to do a 40x100 set in OW if thats what floats yer boat:)
    Surely in an IM swim pacing is key, knowing "roughly" where you are at in the swim distance wise at any given time would be a little help. As you say not something to really fret about but i find it a useful enough feature.

Tue 2175m swim

400m TT 6:50
    (Actually swam 450m in 7:40, could have done with a beep every 100m!). This is about 15 seconds faster than last TT. I'm a little disappointed, I'd have liked to have come in closer to 6:40. The aim is to be at 6:30 shape by the end of January, so there's a fair amount of work to go yet. My turns, are so bad, there's a surge of water to fight against at each direction change. I really need to learn to tumble turn.

1000m steady 20:46
    Garmin seems messed up, but this was slower than it should have been. I have a cold brewing, don't know if that's an excuse for the times being down a tad.

10x50 off 1:00
    Coming in 45-53 secs. Next time I do a set of these short ones I'm going to time off the pool clock, rather than hitting the lap button. It takes too long to find it for the timing to be accurate.

I'm a little disappointed in the times today, thought they'd be a bit faster. Perhaps the aforementioned cold brewing, or perhaps I need to HTFU. Probably a bit of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Donnie Darko? Good sound-track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

..... I have a cold brewing, don't know if that's an excuse for the times being down a tad.

It is

It is

Haha :D ya fecker, kick a man when he's down! I've got a cold all right, today the whole house is down with sore throats. No training today, I'll do the same 400m TT next week with the same intensity and it should be a good bit quicker. (Even if its slower, the one constant is you're still a jerk;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

hi p,were you a swimmer before you started your new log,

ultraman1 wrote: »
    hi p,were you a swimmer before you started your new log,

I was able to swim, if that's what you mean. Hadn't swam in a few years, but I could manage 500m+ without much difficulty when I started back a year ago. Bilateral breathing seemed to come back easy enough too, and my stroke is decent enough (all good habits learned 30 years ago). Any progress I made last year came from pure volume, so I'm trying to introduce faster reps and sets into my training.

If you're starting off I'd say its a good idea to learn bilateral breathing from the get-go, and to make sure your stroke is a full one (hit your thigh with your thumb when exiting for practice). Other people will tell you to forgat about that stuff until you can swim confidently, and its not wrong advice either. I'm hoping to get some coaching in the New Year, but in the meantime the SwimSmooth book and website is a great learning resource.

Fri 3,000m swim 57:45

One long, steady, swim, with a focus on faster open turns. I'm still not great at them, but getting better. You hold the wall with your leading hand, and bring your face almost to touching the hand, as the legs follow to the wall. Then an arm push off helps the pivot, and push strongly with the legs. Seeing as tumble turns aren't allowed in Tri's, I'm probably better off concentrating on my open turns.

Anyway, the reward was obvious, over 45 seconds quicker than the last time I did this distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fri 3,000m swim 57:45

One long, steady, swim, with a focus on faster open turns. I'm still not great at them, but getting better. You hold the wall with your leading hand, and bring your face almost to touching the hand, as the legs follow to the wall. Then an arm push off helps the pivot, and push strongly with the legs. Seeing as tumble turns aren't allowed in Tris , I'm probably better off concentrating on my open turns.

Anyway, the reward was obvious, over 45 seconds quicker than the last time I did this distance.

Do you mean that because you are swimming in open water there are no turns? Or do you mean that when doing a pool tri you are not allowed to tumble turn? It would surprised me if you are not allowed to tumble/flip turn in a pool tri, but I haven't a clue......and if you are talking only about open water, then working on your open turn is, well, you know. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Do you mean that because you are swimming in open water there are no turns? Or do you mean that when doing a pool tri you are not allowed to tumble turn? It would surprised me if you are not allowed to tumble/flip turn in a pool tri, but I haven't a clue......and if you are talking only about open water, then working on your open turn is, well, you know. ;)

Cheers Dory, I fill my days with advanced mathematics, but its refreshing to know someone still thinks I might be practising tumble turns for OW races:D You're a star!

Pool based Tris don't allow for tumble turns, thats the case in Ireland anyway. Probably because the vast majority of triathletes (in the races I've been in anyway) can't swim at a decent lane-sharing level.

Cheers Dory, I fill my days with advanced mathematics, but its refreshing to know someone still thinks I might be practising tumble turns for OW races:D You're a star!

Pool based Tris don't allow for tumble turns, thats the case in Ireland anyway. Probably because the vast majority of triathletes (in the races I've been in anyway) can't swim at a decent lane-sharing level.
    I've had strong 'swim club' swimmers carelessly flip turn in front of me and nearly take my teeth out. No matter how proficient the swimmer, its not advisable in a race situation imo

I have been told by them wot know, that flip turns are more fluid and give a better simulation of a non stop (ow type) swim when training. Open to opinion on that.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I've had strong 'swim club' swimmers carelessly flip turn in front of me and nearly take my teeth out. No matter how proficient the swimmer, its not advisable in a race situation imo

I have been told by them wot know, that flip turns are more fluid and give a better simulation of a non stop (ow type) swim when training. Open to opinion on that.

I mean this in the nicest possible way Oryx- but what was a strong swimmer doing flip-turning right in front of you? Did they overtake you on the way to the wall? (Not saying you're slow, but... well I guess I am, but slow compared to a strong club swimmer who would be tumbling)

*Edit* bad lane etiquette on their part is what I meant to say... apologies via PM and a virtual dozen roses heading your way for calling you slow... you rock these days!

Advertisement