Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fri pm 2,500m swim

My new pull bouy arrived, so I had to try it out. It's very useful for seeing what is wrong with the stroke, I think I'll get great use from it.

500m easy
    4x250 free, pull, kick, free
    10x25 hard, 25 easy
    500m easy

The 25's were smashing, I was on top of the water, moving fast, motoring along with my stroke. Streamlined, and going at a good clip. This is what I need to swim like for longer stuff. I think the pull bouy helped me see what was wrong, and correcting some of this transferred into the 25's.

Sat 2 hrs turbo

Losing my sanity by the end of it, but its done, the most efficient use of two hours without leaving the house.

Sun

13k steady run.

A good cold, wet day, the sort you're wary of starting, but delighted once you have started. The pace was nice and steady.

Overall another decent base week. Missed Thursday through illness, but that passed quick enough.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|Rest|
    Tuesday|3.5k swim, 7k run|incl 20x100 swim. Felt drained running.
    Wednesday|1.5k swim, 1:28 turbo|swim 400m TT in 6:35.
    Thursday|Nothing, wrecked|
    Friday|20k hill run EZ, 2.5k swim|Annagh hill trails. Drill swim.
    Saturday|2hrs turbo|
    Sunday|13km steady run|Forest, wet,cold, felt good.

Weekly km|Swim 7.5k Bike 95k Run 40k|Missed a couple of sessions with a bug. Happy with the latter runs.
    2012 km|Swim 17.3 Bike 200 Run 78.5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I am so jazzed you got a pull buoy! Mine is my very best friend in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sun

13k steady run.

A good cold, wet day, the sort you're wary of starting, but delighted once you have started. The pace was nice and steady.

Overall another decent base week. Missed Thursday through illness, but that passed quick enough.

Monday|Rest|
    Tuesday|3.5k swim, 7k run|incl 20x100 swim. Felt drained running.
    Wednesday|1.5k swim, 1:28 turbo|swim 400m TT in 6:35.
    Thursday|Nothing, wrecked|
    Friday|20k hill run EZ, 2.5k swim|Annagh hill trails. Drill swim.
    Saturday|2hrs turbo|

Weekly km|Swim 7.5k Bike 95k Run 40k|Missed a couple of sessions with a bug. Happy with the latter runs.
    2012 km|Swim 17.3 Bike 200 Run 78.5

Nice training of late.

psst - it's 2013

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice training of late.

psst - it's 2013

I meant to fix that date last week, will misremember to do so again next;)

On the training; my stash of good French wine is no more, so I gave up booze just after Xmas. It's amazing the extra energy I have just from that abstinence. Weight is moving rapidly in the right direction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I meant to fix that date last week, will misremember to do so again next;)

On the training; my stash of good French wine is no more, so I gave up booze just after Xmas. It's amazing the extra energy I have just from that abstinence. Weight is moving rapidly in the right direction too.

Nice, I'm restricting myself to a wind down beer on a Friday and a reward beer on a Sunday, a nice Hurricane Jack awaits this evening.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice, I'm restricting myself to a wind down beer on a Friday and a reward beer on a Sunday, a nice Hurricane Jack awaits this evening.

Enjoy! The abstinence is more to keep a clear head for a hectic exam period in June, but its having a positive knock-on effect for my sport hobby. However, I look forward to finding out what a Hurricane Jack is in a few months:D

Mon 3,250 swim

1,000m warm up

Main set
    4X100m off 1:55 (in 1:42, 1:44, 1:43, 1:41), 50m easy
    4x100m off 1:50 (1:38, 1:39, 1:41, 1:39), 50 easy
    4x100m off 1:45 (1:39, 1:44, 1:46, 1:41)
    250m easy
    10x25m sprint, 25 easy.
    warm down

I have been told the good sense that reps are more useful if done off descending times, and so it seems. The first 4 were at a steady pace with good form, the next good form but felt harder, the last steady but struggling to hold the form. Having said all that, times are getting better, as is my stroke. The set of 25m sprints once again showed that speed equals better form and glide, much less drag. This is the sort of form that needs to feed into the longer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

You have been doing some very consistent training over the last while Kurt, seems to be really paying off too. Them swim times are getting better and better. Fair play. What sort of sets are you doing on the turbo? Couldn't see it anywhere but might have missed it.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    You have been doing some very consistent training over the last while Kurt, seems to be really paying off too. Them swim times are getting better and better. Fair play. What sort of sets are you doing on the turbo? Couldn't see it anywhere but might have missed it.

Cheers joey100, hopefully the training will feed into a better position in this years Bunclody tri;)
    The turbo is just volume at the moment, no sets. I don't have any metrics from them, I'm calling 65min steady as 30k. I'll bring in sufferfest sessions in a week or so, but for now its all about just putting down a volume base. Ditto with the running. More structure will be introduced from Feb, with a goal of the Valentia Sprint in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Sounds like a nice plan there. Not sure if Bunclody will be on my calender this year but might do it if I can draft you for the swim;). Them sufferfest vids seem to be very good, I find that the structure on the turbo is great, make it a lot more bearable.

Tue 2,500m swim

Two wisdom teeth left home today, and with a possible week or more off training, I wondered which sport I'd miss the most. Hence another swim, as it's recovery-dependent when I'm next in the pool. (The dentist said I can start biking tomorrow, running the next day, and swimming after that, if recovery goes well).

1,000m warm-up steady 18:50
    500m pull bouy
    10x25m sprint, 25m easy
    500m pull bouy

Pull bouy is worth its weight in gold. Once I have a bit of coaching on a correct stroke, it will be very useful. The sprints once again showed what proper form is. With a bit of speed, my bow wave produces a lower breathing trough, so the head needn't rise so high.

Wed 1:50 easy turbo

Painkillers are making the jaw manageable, but I don't want to get my blood pressure up too high just yet. An easy spin on the turbo took care of business.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ouch.

Fair play doing the turbo. Hope it had a painkilling effect.

Oryx wrote: »
    Ouch.

Fair play doing the turbo. Hope it had a painkilling effect.

The turbo is great to distract from pain- I'm getting through loads of maths videos, and didn't even notice my jawbone (which is aching now). So officially the turbo pain is worse than getting your teeth pulled:)

Date for anyone interested, I just noticed the date for the Beginish Swim off Valentia Island in Kerry is up on the Valentia Tri Club website. This is a goal race for me, I know that loads of proper swimmers will enter so I'll not be competitive, but I know the area well and have a huge grá for these waters.

*** DATE FOR 2013 *** DATE AND TIME FOR BEGINISH ISLAND SWIM 2013 is SATURDAY 20th JULY – START TIME 13:50 (High Tide 15:20).

Thurs 4,000m steady swim 1:19:40

My jaw has ballooned up like Desperate Dan's, so I figured the best place for my ugly mug was hidden deep underwater. Seven weeks ago, when I started back in the pool, I did 3k just under the hour, and was beat in doing so. Today, the same pace was like an easy jog, could have kept going all day like this.

<aside> every time I exhaled on my sore side, the bubbles would run along the cheek causing a fair amount of hurt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus, I wish I was back at the stage of doing 3,000m swims. I've only swam 10x100 repeats in the last month (1000m). Can't see myself ever getting back to full swim fitness, think I've lost my mojo. Need to give myself a kick up the arse.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Jesus, I wish I was back at the stage of doing 3,000m swims. I've only swam 10x100 repeats in the last month (1000m). Can't see myself ever getting back to full swim fitness, think I've lost my mojo. Need to give myself a kick up the arse.
    Theres a lot of that about these days.

KG hope you've not got an infection there....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Theres a lot of that about these days.

KG hope you've not got an infection there....

I think after three years of fitting IM and marathon training into work and family life I've had enough. A year of sprint tris and short run distances beckons me thinks!!

• Advertisement

Sat 60 min turbo

I did nothing yesterday, felt chilly and run down all day, like I had an icepack on all my nervous system. Bound to be up and down on antibiotics, I guess.

Today I did Sufferfest revolver45, which the main set is 15xmin flat out, min easy. It was tough (they all are), but a great little session. My calf was twinging during it, I'll have to keep an eye on that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That swim sounds awesome. Shame I'm still too slow for it that would take me over 2.5 hours now.

Must keep an eye on those OW swims.

Sun

13k steady run.

Cold'n'wet run in the forest.

I had wisdom teeth out this week, and am on antibiotics and painkillers, so things were easier this week. I have to keep the heart rate down, so any focus was on steady volume. The turbo was the exception, seemed to go ok.

Monday|3,250m swim|Sets of 4x100m, descending.
    Tuesday|2.5k swim|Pull bouy
    Wednesday|1:50 turbo|Easy, spinning.
    Thursday|4,000m swim|1:19:40 steady pace, felt very easy.
    Friday|Rest|Felt wrecked.
    Saturday|60mins turbo| Sufferfest 16xmin hard, min easy.

Weekly km|Swim 9.75k Bike 80k Run 13k|Easier week because of meds.
    2013 km|Swim 27.05 Bike 280 Run 91.5

Mon 3,800m swim

I knew something was amiss today, my initial warm-up felt much tougher than it should have done. Antibiotics can mess with your system, and thats what seemed to be the case today, I had no energy or form. The intention was to do 20x100m, but I knocked that on the head after the initial set of 4 off 1:55- I was going backwards. Decided to just get an endurance swim in- I don't usually bail on sessions if they feel hard, but there's a time and a place for that, and my times were so far down that I chose to fight that battle another day.

1,000 warmup @1:59/100m pace
    4x100m off 1:55 in on 1:45, 1:49, 1:54, 1:54
    1,000m @ 2:05/100m pace
    1,400m @ 2:13/100m pace

[offtopic]Help a girl out here, Mr Maths.

Complete the sequence, and tell me how. Driving me mad since 8am.

3, 5, 13, 49, 241 ?

[/offtopic]

[offtopic]Help a girl out here, Mr Maths.

Complete the sequence, and tell me how. Driving me mad since 8am.

3, 5, 13, 49, 241 ?

[/offtopic]

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I even know that but still cant see how it's done.

Feel very stupid now.

Dory Dory wrote: »

Top marks to Dory! Bet she did it differently to me though (and I bet her way is far simpler and more elegant;))

Method:
    5/3 = 1 remainder 2
    13/5 = 2 r 3
    49/13 = 3 r 10
    241/49 = 4 r 45
    x/241 = 5 r 236
    x=1441

For the next term, take 6 from 1441 (6 being the term number of the sequence and that will give your remainder. So y/(1441) = 6 r (1441-6).

There's probably a far more elegant explanation, but all I've been doing for a while is modulo arithmatic, so I probably can't see the wood for the trees:)

Top marks to Dory! Bet she did it differently to me though (and I bet her way is far simpler and more elegant;))

Method:
    5/3 = 1 remainder 2
    13/5 = 2 r 3
    49/13 = 3 r 10
    241/49 = 4 r 45
    x/241 = 5 r 236
    x=1441

For the next term, take 6 from 1441 (6 being the term number of the sequence and that will give your remainder. So y/(1441) = 6 r (1441-6).

There's probably a far more elegant explanation, but all I've been doing for a while is modulo arithmatic, so I probably can't see the wood for the trees:)
    Got it add one to the 5 two to 13 three to the 49 and so on and they are divisible by the number before by an increase of one each time.

I need to study more. My brain is rusty. And is there anything Dory cannot do?

Back to training talk. Sorry for interrupting!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did it a little differently than you. I employed multiplication then subtraction. Sorry to butt in, but I'm a CPA by trade and always love a good math problem. :o

Advertisement