Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks a million. Ran it later myself to demark. Its amazing what 160 people charging around a mountain can make on a little hill. Footprints everywhere. Mid afternoon the views were terrific. I still can't get over that winning time. Its not far off 4 min k pace for a tough hill race. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thanks a million. Ran it later myself to demark. Its amazing what 160 people charging around a mountain can make on a little hill. Footprints everywhere. Mid afternoon the views were terrific. I still can't get over that winning time. Its not far off 4 min k pace for a tough hill race. :eek:

It was awesome, the pace he hit the top at, and he seemed to be hurting less than the chasing pack too. Great running altogether.

One poor girl just came over the summit, and her calf went into spasm, luckily I've some history of calf spasms and managed to help her get rid of it. She insisted on carrying on, and seemed to finish the second half in good time, fair play!

Summit marshall is a great gig- I had a good laugh running down with the back marker, who was enjoying her first IMRA race. We entered the final forest section, I said I'd give her a ten second headstart and start chasing. Should have seen her go!:D

Sun 1,400m swim

All drills, before playing with the kids. I showed junior how to lengthen his stroke by hitting thumb against thigh, he could not believe how far a few strokes took him afterwards. Followed by some very important, very fun, diving lessons.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|3,000m swim|including 400m pb 6:26
    Tuesday|7k run|Tempo, strong pace.
    Wednesday|80min turbo|steady
    Thursday|2,250 swim|Coached, tough set, made last week's look easy.
    Friday|2,500m swim|2x400, 3x200, 6x100. Tough enough effort.
    Saturday|14k run| Hill run around Annacurra
    Sunday|1,400m swim| drills

Weekly km|Swim 9.15k Bike 40k Run 21k|Tough swim week
    2013 km|Swim 54.2 Bike 405 Run 150.5

I got a lot out of this week swim-wise. Some tough sets done, a 400 pb, and drills are feeding well into my stroke. Running is back at a place where I can run hard again. I'll add another run from next week, fartlek based. Biking volume needs to pick up from here, one 2-hr spin needed. So the goal for next week is 3-4 swims, 3 runs, 3 bikes. I'm entered into Valentia Sprint Tri, and with 13 weeks to go I'm happy with how things are progressing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    We entered the final forest section, I said I'd give her a ten second headstart and start chasing. Should have seen her go!:D
    I think it was the menacing 'Here's Johnny...!' that did it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I see you managed to get into the photos too :)

• Advertisement

I see you managed to get into the photos too :)

And I look only gorgeous in them too ;)

Mon 4,200m swim

1050m w/u (1:46 pace, with very little effort, that's a sign of progress!)
    500m pull bouy
    100m ripple
    100m point
    100m pull
    3x 50m
    100m ripple
    100m point
    100m pull
    3x 50m
    100m ripple
    100m point
    100m pull
    450 various
    1,000m w/d (1:58 pace)

It was crowded at the pool tonight. Its also early in the year, so little pool etiquette! A slow breast stroker joined my lane, opting against joining the slow breast stroker in the other lane:rolleyes: Then I was joined by various hawaii shorts looking to race me for a single length, and sprawl by the wall for five minutes. The one guy who did join and was doing drills himself, never gave me a pass at the wall, despite my overtaking him several times.

Lest I sound like a total grouch, this is par for the course when half the pool is given over to aqua aerobics, and I didn't mind too much. The drills went well, my form is improving, and the easy warmup is I think one of the fastest kilometers I've swam. The lessons are helping, things are starting to fall into place (still a lot of work to do yet though). Good to see more from the Tri club there tonight just before me, the group swims are really galvanizing people into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

That's some improvement there Kurt, well done. Particularly impressed with your 1,000m warm up pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    That's some improvement there Kurt, well done. Particularly impressed with your 1,000m warm up pace.

+1
    I see Dory..esque swim sets in this log soon enough :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

+1
    I see Dory..esque swim sets in this log soon enough :cool:

T minus 2 months and I'll be back in the speedo swimming my heart out. :D

(nice work going on in this log!! :))

Tue 47 mins turbo

Sufferfest "Revolver" The main set is {(1 min hardest effort, 1 min easy)x16}. The first bead of sweat dripped from brow to floor during the first minute, and became a broken faucet for the rest. Sweet Jesus, this was hard.
    griffin100 wrote: »

I was surprised by the time, for it was just a "comfort zone" steady swim. Six weeks back I was pushing hard to break 1:52 pace for my "all-out" 1km. I'm putting in a fair amount of effort in training now, but any dramatic improvements are down to one thing: having a coach who knows what he's talking about, and communicates that effectively. Unfortunately, any improvements I post up here seem to get fed into his Satanic Algorithm Machine, which spew out increasingly hard sets each week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Unfortunately, any improvements I post up here seem to get fed into his Satanic Algorithm Machine, which spew out increasingly hard sets each week :D

Tell me about it. 3400m in an hour last night :eek: shattered, I could barely sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Unfortunately, any improvements I post up here seem to get fed into his Satanic Algorithm Machine, which spew out increasingly hard sets each week :D

a) your improvements are down to you
    b) calling my mellon a Satanic Algorithm Machine is a little unfair ... and besides I use a Magic 8 Ball ... for example
    "Will Kurt head out to sea at valentia this year instead of to the Island?"
    Signs point to yes

Its never wrong.

BTH wrote: »
    Tell me about it. 3400m in an hour last night :eek: shattered, I could barely sleep!

Magic 8 Ball - was Eugene drafting his a*s off last night and hiding down the back of the lane taking it handy ?

"You may rely on it"

Its always right.

interested wrote: »
    any dramatic improvements are down to one thing: having a coach
    I'm the one pushing through the water all right, but I'm doing it much quicker because of good stroke advice. I'd not be swimming this fast but for coaching.
    (Actually, there's one other factor, I gave up booze at Xmas and this has allowed more, and higher quality, training. Now I hit the pool or bike in the evening, instead of the bottle.)
    Signs point to yes

Sounds like a value-for-money Skelligs swim is on the cards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Magic 8 Ball - was Eugene drafting his a*s off last night and hiding down the back of the lane taking it handy ?

"You may rely on it"

Its always right.

"hiding down the back"??

I was 20m behind everyone else in the lane and still in on 6:00 for the first two :eek: what else can I do? A couple of easier ones when CD went ahead of me before he and then Gav faded and started holding me up.

Anyway, its good practice for when I race. I have every intention of drafting off people who are otherwise much faster than me :D

I was surprised by the time, for it was just a "comfort zone" steady swim. Six weeks back I was pushing hard to break 1:52 pace for my "all-out" 1km. I'm putting in a fair amount of effort in training now, but any dramatic improvements are down to one thing: having a coach who knows what he's talking about, and communicates that effectively. Unfortunately, any improvements I post up here seem to get fed into his Satanic Algorithm Machine, which spew out increasingly hard sets each week :D
    b) calling my mellon a Satanic Algorithm Machine is a little unfair ... and besides I use a Magic 8 Ball ... for example
    Signs point to yes

Its never wrong.

"You may rely on it"

Its always right.
    I'm the one pushing through the water all right, but I'm doing it much quicker because of good stroke advice. I'd not be swimming this fast but for coaching.
    (Actually, there's one other factor, I gave up booze at Xmas and this has allowed more, and higher quality, training. Now I hit the pool or bike in the evening, instead of the bottle.)

Sounds like a value-for-money Skelligs swim is on the cards ;)
    "hiding down the back"??

I was 20m behind everyone else in the lane and still in on 6:00 for the first two :eek: what else can I do? A couple of easier ones when CD went ahead of me before he and then Gav faded and started holding me up.

Anyway, its good practice for when I race. I have every intention of drafting off people who are otherwise much faster than me :D

It's finally starting to feel like one big slightly dysfunctional happy family around here!! :D;)

Wed 3,800m swim

1,000 wu
    500 pull bouy
    5x (100 ripple, 100 point, 100 pull, 100 swim)
    300 wd
    10 mins tumble turn practice.

I skipped the club run last night, I was beat from the turbo, and figured there wasn't much point in me jogging the 7km. So today I got to an empty pool, and worked on my stroke. Two things are evident; I'm sometimes entering with too flat a palm, and flicking the thumb is still necessary in order to see out the stroke.
    The tumble turn practice was strange. I have read a bit about best practice for learning, and managed to crunch, tumble, and kick off relatively well. However, I'm using my arms to assist the tumble, and when I try to flip my arms in the correct manner, I end up aiming at the floor. Practice.

Flip turns...gosh, it comes so naturally to me and I have not had to teach one for so long....but....are you crossing your entry hand across your body, dropping your shoulder, and then is your body following that arm with a twist/flip motion? And then when you complete your flip your body will be at a slight angle as you push off the wall.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Flip turns...gosh, it comes so naturally to me and I have not had to teach one for so long....but....are you crossing your entry hand across your body, dropping your shoulder, and then is your body following that arm with a twist/flip motion? And then when you complete your flip your body will be at a slight angle as you push off the wall.

I'll find it hard to explain this Dory, but here goes...

I can turn well if I use my arms at the sides to assist with the tumble, and then think about where to position them, but can feel the water resistance in doing so. Sort of like if you stand still in the water, and were to do a series of tumbles on the spot- you'd use your arms and hands to assist the turning motion.
    What I need to do is turn and have the arms positioned forward, ready to spear the water on push-off (as in this video).

Thurs 3,050m club swim

400m descending warm-up
    4x200m off 3:50 (in 3:25-3:30)
    60 secs rest
    4x200m off 3:45 (in 3:30- 3:35)
    60 secs rest
    4x200m off 3:40 (in 3:25- 3:30)
    4x50m off 70, descending (in 45-41)
    50m arm placement

The first set of 200's felt very comfortable, and I was conscious after last week of not burning all my matches too early. Second set felt more like work, as did the third. However, by the third I was swimming on tired arms, and so bad form starts to creep in, and that needs to be corrected. I'm throwing my arms into the water when tired, thats something that needs to be controlled.

• Advertisement

Fri 13.84km run 4:47 min/km pace

I had some time to kill this afternoon in Dublin, so parked in Marlay and ran 4 laps. This was my first Garmin run in quite a while, and I've no idea where I stand with running fitness. The pace was steady, meaning a conversation would have been possible, but only if I was asking very short questions and hearing long answers. Pace slowed a little each lap, but that's ok, I'm happy to be "starting" run training from this sort of position. I heard a chap chasing me down on the third lap, getting steadily closer. Nuh-uh, upped the effort heading back uphill and lost him. Small victory, but I'm not yet ready to discount these tiny triumphs.

Man your swimming is going well! Pick an event and let's do battle...:D I'm kinda missing the tried smack talk..

Fri pm 65 mins turbo

I find spinning helps alleviate any sore knees after running, so this was just easy pace.
    Man your swimming is going well! Pick an event and let's do battle...:D I'm kinda missing the tried smack talk..

Ha! I'm down for Valentia Sprint, Rosses Point, and Pikeman, so take your pick:D But I'm going to look at some OW events too during the summer, Beginnis, and maybe the Lough Dan 5km (if I can get in).

But looking to race me... did you pick on smaller kids in school?:D

I was talking about OW swim events! Beginish is calling alright but it may be Warrior of the sea for me as I may be up in Westport that weekend. And you started the smack talk aiming for my i3 time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

We could make it a three way for the warrior, but I suspect I know who'll come third :)

Those sort of events attract all sorts of loons, you'd never know who'd show up on the day.

Sounds like a foursome to me!! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sounds like a foursome to me!! ;)
    Youre sick and warped individuals.

How far is it?

Oryx wrote: »
    Youre sick and warped individuals.

How far is it?

Wait a minute!!!! Are you signing up for a distance OW event missy? When is it....and how cold will the water be??? (you can't have all the fun with these studs, you know!). ;)

• Advertisement

Sat 65 mins turbo

Just spinning the legs on a steady big ring.

Warrior of the sea in Sligo and Beginish Swim in Kerry are both about 6km. They were originally scheduled for the same day (July 20th), but I now see that the Kerry date has moved to a week later (July 27th)!!:D I'm very happy about this, as I think we will be caravanning around Ireland this year, and I'm going to try and get to both of them. So any foursome tag-team smackdown featuring Oryx (and hopefully Dory- sea will be at its warmest so get booking!) may be followed by Smackdown II... followed by hot cocoa and Irish Dancing in a small caravan :)

Advertisement