Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thurs 2,400m coached swim

400m ez
    8*25 off 60 (in 14-16)
    5*100 off 1:45 (in 1:36-1:40)
    2*25 off 45 (in 18)
    100 ez
    8*25 off 60 (in 17-20)
    5*100 off 1:45 (in 1:36-1:40)
    2*25 off 45 (in 18)
    100 ez
    4*25 off 60 (in 15-19)
    2*100 off 1:45 (in 1:38, 1:39)
    100ez

A good lesson in pace tonight. I got into the pool exhausted, tired all day, and didn't think I'd last. Having a coach there is a great tonic for that nonsense though, and I'm happy to have given the session a good lash. The initial 25's were too fast- plenty of rest between them, but I found the next set of 100's very difficult. I slowed the next set of 25's slightly, and noticed a big difference in how I could swim the following 100's. So a big lesson in pacing and lactate threshold levels has been learned tonight. We ran out of time to finish the third set, but this was a very useful evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck on Sunday.
    Hope your bike passes the bike check ;)

Good luck on Sunday.
    Hope your bike passes the bike check ;)

Cheers Mick! Sunday will mainly be a dry run for Valentia, as regards gear-check, transition, etc.

My front brakes don't work, but a folded fiver stuffed in the blocks should get me through bike check?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah now...no time to get all shy on me. So does this mean you didn't cancel your kinky site subscriptions? ;)

Best to you on Sunday!!! :D

Sun Tinahely Duathlon

I'd been planning this race as a dry run for Valentia next week- so making sure I had the right gear, transitions were good, and most of all pacing was to be checked. It's very handy when a race starts 5km from your house, so an easy spin up to soak up the pre-race vibes, and chat with Slogger Jogger who was on bike-check duty (and he gave my steed a good going over!). Warm-up a bit, then jog down to the race start.

5k Run1 I started solidly, kept the breathing under control while going at a decent clip, and as we turned into the woods the field had found its positions. I started to pick off runners ahead, slowly moving up and passing. I ran without the watch, and am very glad I did, as pacing worked well. Came into trans a little behind my clubmate Stephen (who had came second in the Aughavannah 23km hill race yesterday, and wasn't showing signs of wear!).

T1 No issues, the bike was set up nicely beforehand, kicked off my minimus (wore them for the first run, no chance of getting them on quickly for the second though!), mounted well and was off.

20k Bike Made a couple of places right at the off, and picked off another coming into Tinahely. Up the steep climb from the village, passed another. I was climbing well, solid without too much effort. One lad in a yellow and black top zoomed by me, but I had another in sight up ahead, and got him along the flat. There's a long downhill to Shillelagh, which I attacked all the way, and passed out yellow/black guy, and another. Yellow/Black wasn't giving up though, he took me again on the flat, got 20 meters ahead, but I upped the effort and caught him again, passing him and another. I was happy with how the bike was going, everyone ahead was a target, and I was making up a few places.
    Up the long hill to Coolattin. Y/B climbs well and passes me. He's ahead at the top of the hill, with a lad from Wicklow tri. I descend well around the bendy turns, but am a little surprized to see the two lads have made a bit of distance on me. Pass the cheerleaders at Coolboy, its flat the rest of the way, and there's still a gap to the two lads ahead. Before dismount, I remember to drop the gears and spin fast to help stop jelly legs, place the feet on top of the bike shoes, and hit dismount.

T2 Fast rack, no issues. I have a pair of Vivo barefoots waiting, with lock laces, and two quick stabs see them on my feet without issue. The ends of the elastic laces are too long though, I thought I tied them but they were flapping for the whole run. Something to note for Valentia.

3k Run Legs are stiff, don't want to move, but I force some motion, and they respond well. Yellow/Black is cramping, I pass him, but he latches onto my back. Its weird trying to run with legs like this, but its the same for everyone. Wicklow Tri guy is ahead, and I make him my target. Get him before the halfway turnaround. I up the speed a bit, and step by step he's getting closer. Just before the turn, I take him on the inside, with a burst of speed. Now its just about getting home without issue. There's no-one in sight ahead, so I opt to run steady rather than push the pace. A better ending would have a battle and a sprint finish, but in the absence of anyone to chase I can save the legs for Valentia, the real goal. Finish tired but very happy. No idea just now of time or position, but it was a lot faster than I anticipated, I was a lot higher up the field than expected, and most importantly, it was a perfect race as far as pace and strategy goes. Hopefully those lessons will transfer well to Valentia.

Nice to talk to so many smiling faces there, and meet Basster afterwards (both beaming below). Yeah dude, the hills are a little harder than I let on;)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UU_ek82R8iE/UYZhyMpDPdI/AAAAAAAAA1o/1pW30uZ0PrI/s800/Screen%20shot%202013-05-05%20at%2014.41.01.png" height="535" width="800"[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Saw you waste at least 1 second in transition by starting to put your helmet on backwards ;) Always room for improvement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I just should have put more work in in the leadup so as not to notice! It's a lovely bike course in fairness, I did enjoy it.

Nice report, you were looking strong on the bike, I think you went by me at around the 10k point with another guy. You'll be flying in Valentia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Basster wrote: »
    Nice report, you were looking strong on the bike, I think you went by me at around the 10k point with another guy.

Are you accusing Kurt of drafting :eek:

catweazle wrote: »

It was probably my ding-dong with Yellow/Black guy. We both made sure to pass wide and get ahead of each other when passing. To be honest, I don't think I've ever biked in someones slipstream yet, honest guv! But if a novice like myself knows what drafting is, it must be fairly blatent when lads are doing it.

Mon 1,000m OW swim
    Drove back from work via Wicklow Harbour. Lovely sunny day, temperature rising, the boats are back, yahoo! It was certainly warmer than the last time I was in, although it still took a little time to get past the brain freeze stage. Once I got going, any cold wasn't noticed, and I got in a couple of laps practice with the new wetsuit. I had to adjust it after a lap, it was stiff across one shoulder, but felt much better on the second lap. I tried kicking harder on the second lap, and threw in some sprints. One thing I noticed is just how high my legs are, I'm thinking now they are too high when kicking. As I sit here my back is a little sore- that could be a symptom of swimming on tired muscles from yesterday, or from kicking too high, or both. I think I'll cut some material below the knees, that should help keep my kick more in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Ha! Nice try, but no, not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Congrats on the good race yesterday. You seemed to be in control

I'll be joining you soon in the harbour. Just wanted to make sure it is finally warming upbefore I take the plunge:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I think I'll cut some material below the knees, that should help keep my kick more in the water.

:eek: New wetsuit? And you're going to self-tailor it? Ohhhh.....that sounds like a very bad idea to me. Think about the stitching....the fact that a suit can tear easily....and the possibility that your new edges might not act like proper wetsuit edges. But what do I know? I swim in 80 degree water and the last time I put a wetsuit on I put it on backwards while my swimming companion allowed me to wriggle and squirm the suit up my entire body while he watched with delight and great amusement. (Hello interested!!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dont forget ,i have an entry for the donadea 5k with ur name on it ,,26th july 7:30pm....or u can defer to the 50k;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dont forget ,i have an entry for the donadea 5k with ur name on it ,,26th july 7:30pm....or u can defer to the 50k;)

Most of the reason I deserted the jogging forum was to get away from you and your bloody 50km sign-up sheet... you're an awful pain in the arse Anto! Tell you what, you do my race (Annagh Hill 19th May) and I'll do yours. Deal?;)

Tue 7km easy run
    2 hours of Community Games madness tonight, loads of qualifying races, loads of enthusiastic kids, brilliant. Little Miss and Master Godel came first and second in their events, class stuff.

I followed that with an easy Railway Walk. Trotted the first half, sped up as I bade "good evening" to a couple of hotties at the turn-around, but had to keep that speed up when another runner came up behind me. Legs feel good. Unfortunately, I can feel a cold coming on, scratchy throat etc. It's doing the rounds locally, hopefully it won't stop me travelling to Valentia.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: New wetsuit? And you're going to self-tailor it? Ohhhh.....that sounds like a very bad idea to me. Think about the stitching....the fact that a suit can tear easily....and the possibility that your new edges might not act like proper wetsuit edges. But what do I know? I swim in 80 degree water and the last time I put a wetsuit on I put it on backwards while my swimming companion allowed me to wriggle and squirm the suit up my entire body while he watched with delight and great amusement. (Hello interested!!) ;)

I've been told the first thing to do with a wetsuit is to cut the legs from it (beneath the knee). Admittedly this could well be to add to the delight and great amusement from our resident sadist... but I think I'll risk it anyway. I have a tube of Black Witch ordered for the seams, and I can see the benefits it might have.

80 degree water. My god. You could brew tea in that.

I've been told the first thing to do with a wetsuit is to cut the legs from it (beneath the knee). Admittedly this could well be to add to the delight and great amusement from our resident sadist.... but I think I'll risk it anyway. I have a tube of Black Witch ordered for the seams, and I can see the benefits it might have.

80 degree water. My god. You could brew tea in that.

Aren't you racing the above mentioned resident sadist this weekend? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

re: wetsuit tailoring ... cutting below the knee relates to getting yourself out of it easier - playing with buoyancy is the manufacturers job but hey ... Im no engineer

re: resident sadist ?
    Harsh ...

re: racing ?
    Hardly, its just a training day for me. It'll be my first bric session so Im looking forward to it. Local forecast is for really stormy weather so that'll really suit both the swim and the bike. Typically, in these conditions, the run is immaterial so it's no harm that Ive only run 3 or 4 times since last year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^sandbagging. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    ^^^sandbagging. :)

On a very short list of specialties it'd be no. 1 ;) but its nearly all true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

interested wrote: »
    Local forecast is for really stormy weather so that'll really suit both the swim and the bike. Typically, in these conditions, the run is immaterial so it's no harm that Ive only run 3 or 4 times since last year.

Let me see. Stormy wet weather?? Last year was sunny warm and calm wasn't it?? Must sign up next year so.... :P

• Advertisement

Absolutely, sandbagging, now a sandbaggers race to the bottom is one I might compete in...

Yeah the primary reason for cutting would be faster exit, but I read it will help sink your legs and my legs felt a bit high in it. However, I'm pretty clueless in this area, I'll show you the suit before I cut it and get your impressions.

Whats the swim options given the forecast, interested? I know its got its own local microclimate down there, didn't they have an alternate swim another stormy year? Personally, I'd relish a tough choppy swim across the ferry route, but don't fancy travelling if there's any likelihood the swim will be cancelled.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Doesn't cutting a suit invalidate any warranty? I reckon you should do a lot more swimming in it before chopping it up. Just don't seem right.

Absolutely, sandbagging, now a sandbaggers race to the bottom is one I might compete in...

Yeah the primary reason for cutting would be faster exit, but I read it will help sink your legs and my legs felt a bit high in it. However, I'm pretty clueless in this area, I'll show you the suit before I cut it and get your impressions.

Whats the swim options given the forecast, interested? I know its got its own local microclimate down there, didn't they have an alternate swim another stormy year? Personally, I'd relish a tough choppy swim across the ferry route, but don't fancy travelling if there's any likelihood the swim will be cancelled.

a) I was kidding about the storm but as BTH inferred - traditionally its been a case of post race ice creams one year and hot brandies the next. We're due a hammering. This is how it is but weather can be all over the place down there over 6 hours. Ask a local when you arrive and they'll know if theres a storm due in.

b) bring the wetsuit Thurs - cut diagonally - low - sharp scissors. Simples. You can always cut more ;)

c) Valentia has lots of alternative swim options because its an island. The mainland to the island is slightly short of 750 anyhow. Swim is very very very unlikely to be cancelled.

I think its really cute you're getting nervous already Paul.

:D

interested wrote: »
    I think its really cute you're getting nervous already Paul.

:D

This is what I mean by "resident sadist", one minute you're sandbagging and the next you're goading...

Right, prediction time- if I can see you at any stage running up on the hill, I'm catching you. Wear a bright top please:)

If you want a shortie wetsuit then buy a shortie wetsuit. I think taking a pair of scissors to it this soon in its life with you is a bit drastic. But again, i brew tea in my pool and enjoy resident sadiests watch me with delght and great amusement while i sqeeze into tight rubber backwards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Try it in freshwater before you make a decision on cutting it - the salt water is giving extra buoyancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Try it in freshwater before you make a decision on cutting it - the salt water is giving extra buoyancy

+1 to this. Also to add i know you have ideas of going longer 5/10k swim events, perhaps the swim sadist might offer up another opinion but i could imagine you would want to do less kicking over a longer distance to conserve energy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I would also say that you feel that your legs are too high because most of the time they are too low and this is a new sensation for you. Most likely they are actually at the correct position now due to the extra buoyancy.

However, I certainly aint an expert when it comes to swimming. :P

I think I'll compromise by cutting low, mainly for the exit benefit, and seeing how that plays out. As the man says, I can cut more later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Most of the reason I deserted the jogging forum was to get away from you and your bloody 50km sign-up sheet... you're an awful pain in the arse Anto! Tell you what, you do my race (Annagh Hill 19th May) and I'll do yours. Deal?;)
    jaysus,i hope i dont turn into GOM,when i do a runnybikeyswimmey race,....:D...il do it if i have to q up for a hour at reg,hand over 70 quid ,get a xl tee shirt,a goody bag with nutin in it and a medal and be told to fcuk off when i finish...

Advertisement