Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

+1 to this. Also to add i know you have ideas of going longer 5/10k swim events, perhaps the swim sadist might offer up another opinion but i could imagine you would want to do less kicking over a longer distance to conserve energy?

It is physically impossible for Kurt to do less kicking.
    That is all.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

interested wrote: »
    It is physically impossible for Kurt to do less kicking.
    That is all.

;)

I probably shouldn't have laughed as long as I did:D

Wed 60mins easy turbo

Legs, body, feels good now, any back pain has passed. Work is very busy, I'm looking forward to packing the car and leaving it all behind for a couple of days. Valentia should be a blast.

The goal at the start of the year was to base train to Valentia, expecting injuries to reoccur. Thankfully that hasn't happened, so I'm quietly confident those days are behind me. Entered the Dublin City Oly Tri on 25th August, that will be my main goal training-wise throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Entered the Dublin City Oly Tri on 25th August, that will be my main goal training-wise throughout the summer.

Snap! Same goal here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Looks like DCT could be a re run of our meeting in the Bunclody one last year so. No getting stuck behind slower swimmers in the lanes this time tho.:)

joey100 wrote: »
    Looks like DCT could be a re run of our meeting in the Bunclody one last year so. No getting stuck behind slower swimmers in the lanes this time tho.:)

Bring it on Joey:D! I'll have to up my game a lot if I want to be within shouting distance of you, but a bit of competition is what its all about!

• Advertisement

Thurs 2,200m swim

400 EZ
    4*200 off 4:00, hard first 25, 50, 75, 100
    4*100 off 2:00, hard first 25, 50, 75, 100
    4*100 off 2:00, hard first 25, 50, 75, 100
    50EZ
    6*25 no breaths off 90

This was a very useful lesson to take with me to Valentia, its all about pacing. The hard 100's from the 4*100 sets were in 1:30, and had me panting. The others were in 1:35, and felt easy. A really useful pointer for a Tri swim.

The 6 hypoxic lengths were fun, they really show you what a smooth, controlled, streamlined stroke can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck in Valentia Kurt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck in Valentia. Lovely event. Looking forward to reading about your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, I hope you and our resident sadist have a good day out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck Kurt. It's a nice race.

• Advertisement

What an amazing drive down here! Equally showers, glorious sunshine, thunderstorms, and the brightest rainbows I've ever seen. Got the ferry over just in time to make registration. Take a bow Valencia tri club, it's a fast and easy reg, perfect as many have travelled far. Drove to the house and lashed on the wetsuit, straight into the dark water, for a few quick minutes before nightfall. It's lovely, much warmer than the Irish sea. Lets see what tomorrow brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good Luck Kurt

Sat Valentia Triathlon Duathlon

Woke up early, straight away checked the weather. Sun, awesome. I looked out at the sea having breakfast, a bit of a breeze, but nothing you'd even call choppy, great. Got all my gear together and biked down to set up, 1.5k from where I was staying. Everything looked good, a nice buzz about the place, preparation for this couldn't have been better, I'm psyched. Enter registration, a bit of friendly banter with the bike check official, followed by "and you know the swim has been cancelled, right?". I didn't know what to say, he confirmed it was because of the wind, and I walked in a daze to rack my bike. No point arguing the toss with a volunteer. I racked, looked out at the sea (no breakers), and the penny dropped that I had travelled all this way just for a duathlon. Feck that, I took my bike and gear and exited, asked the marshall who I should give my timing chip to, he said someone in the hotel, so I went in there. Mayhem, very crowded, and although I didn't want to support the duathlon because I didn't support the decision, it wasn't worth a drama hissy fit hunting down which overworked volunteer I should give my chip to. Back to set-up, its not Valentia Tri's fault, they've put on a great show, cop yourself on lad. I spoke with interested about the cancelled swim, he had a much better attitude than I, stay positive, do your best, take any transition tips and use it as a learning experience. Hard to argue against that.

1st Run 3k
    They asked for five waves, first 100 would be triathletes who have Sprinted under 1:09. I've no idea what my time is (because the only Sprint I entered the swim was truncated by TI safety officials... can you tell how I feel about this issue;)), so decide to go in the second wave. Bang, we're off, a lot of have-a-go's in this wave, I start passing them after a km. I'm jogging, but don't really care, so cop myself on, and make the guy in front a target. Then the next, etc. This seems to pick me up a bit, I'm passing people until the end.

T1
    Remember, use it as a learning experience, so run in, note landmarks where my bike is, locate it, hat on, grab and run with bike until mount line... *Perfect*

Bike 20k
    ...hop on, rotate to break elastics, get feet in, why wont feet get in, oh its because I still have my running shoes on...:rolleyes: I dismount, and think about what to do. That DNF looks tempting, I start walking back. Then the aginbite of inwit kicks in, so I slip off the shoes, tell a lad I'll be back for them in 40 minutes, and hop on. Up the hill, its all about overtaking the guy in front, all the way to the top. Now on the back side of the island, its very breezy, enough in places to know you off the bike. I've never experienced such loss of control, and if we're into the realm of which leg should be scrapped because its too dangerous... sorry, sorry, couldn't help myself. Anyway I had a decent bike leg once I got started, passed a load but was only passed by at most 5. Feet out with 500m to go, high cadence for the legs, into trans.

T2
    Quick rack, run to exit in socks, no hassle

2nd Run 5k
    Locate my shoes, get 'em on, up the hill. Its a bit of a slog, but I'm catching people. Once it gets really steep a guy from Pirahna Tri comes alongside, starts chatting. We shoot the breeze for a few minutes (both annoyed about the swim), before he ups the game and takes off. I follow, and continue taking places. I see interested who has passes the turnaround and is on the down section. I figure he'll have started in wave 1, so I've a minute to play with. This makes me run a bit harder, so I'm up to the cones, around and head down.
    There's a heap of runners on my tail, so if I better move or I'll lose a heap of places. I open up, and start tracking down guys ahead. When running downhill, you need to take runners at speed, or they'll latch onto you, so thats what I do. I get complacent. There's a lad ahead, 2k to go, no shame in holding positions... have to admit, if it wasn't for the bit of banter and slagging afterwards, I'd had let it be, but interested was ahead and I knew he'd be putting down the foot. So off I go, probably running for the first time that day. Got one guy, got another, hear a guy behind me, he's fast, he passes me, but he makes me takes two or three. The line is down there 300m to go, will I try and catch the lad ahead? Feck, go for it, I'm sprinting all the way, and just take him before the line. Happy to be finished, but... meh.

Aftermath
    I've targeted and been looking forward to this race for about 6 months, After hearing about the swim cancellation, I just couldn't get into it, could not be arsed. I talk to interested after who is dashing off to Dingle (but has taken something from his first Duathlon), bike home, have a quick bowl of soup, and hit the water. Its cold, but that goes after 2 minutes, and in fact feels positively balmy after. I swim out to our bouy looking for muscles, but seaweed has talken over. Swim with the current hard, this feels good, what I came here to do. After 15 minutes, I turn. Its harder, against the wind, but thats just the conditions that are faced. Its a lovely feeling to swim hard into the waves, with sunlight hitting all your bubbles. Back to the house, I feel a new man. No point hanging around, because I know how I really feel about the day. The TI call on the swim was wrong, and is to the detriment of the sport. I'm never doing a sprint again, the risk of over-protection is too great. I actually feel like getting destructive about it, either getting violent or creative. But I can't be apathetic towards it. I trained long and hard for this race, put in a large amount of travel, cost, family brownie points; to do it, only for the swim to be cancelled in case some of the bikers got wind chill in their wet trisuits. Wrapping athletes in cotton wool does not produce Ironmen.

Photos below taken about 30 mins after I finished, about 1km along the shore from the event, where I swam for 30 mins. Just in case anyone thinks there was crashing waves or gale force winds (click images for bigger)
    [IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_21_37_52.jpg

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_21_38_08.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You do pick em. Inland swims don't get cancelled as much, at least I've never had one.

Actually you must be a damn jinx :)

And thank you for a proper giggle at your runners on the bike goof. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya look for a sheltered lake swim or even better a river for the next one - you just know that TI will always be ultra cautious with their safety calls

Creativity wins in my book every time. ;)
    And good on you for not being a quitter. You didn't come away empty handed. :)

Sun 3,000m swim

3k steady, licking my wounds. Feel better for it.

What's done is done, I'm going to look forward now. My calendar looks like this:

May 25th WWrelay leg 8
    July 6th Pikeman Standard Rosslare
    Aug 25th Dublin City Standard
    Sept 8th Glendalough 3.8k swim

If I can fit in a couple more I will (family plans dependent). I'm training towards Dublin, with Glendo as another goal. Pikeman should be good too.

Looking at recent performances, my bike is actually better than I thought. I'm not putting in much distance, but the turbo work seems to have raised the bar. Focus will be on getting 1 long (2+ hrs) spin a week, and 2 turbos.

My swimming is better than its ever been, my strongest discipline. If I can get to a few OW swim events, I will. Wicklow harbour beckons, great place to train.

Running is still my weakest discipline. Going by a couple of training runs, I'm about 40 min 10k race standard, and I'd like to test that in a race. More volume is needed. I'll draw up a structured training plan leading to Dublin. Onwards and upwards.

You must be going very well on the bike if its stronger than an approx 40 minute 10k time. I sense an age grade prize somewhere my friend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »
    You must be going very well on the bike if its stronger than an approx 40 minute 10k time. I sense an age grade prize somewhere my friend

55+ isn't very competitive is it?

55+ isn't very competitive is it?

TI should move Limericks Tri Clubs Joan Griffin over to the mens and give them both a bit of competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm training towards Dublin, with Glendo as another goal. I'll draw up a structured training plan leading to Dublin. Onwards and upwards.
    Sorry to hear about the swim. That's sh1te. Still, you're in great nick, and the next time you get to compete you'll be even quicker than you would have been today. Would they cancel an open water (swim-only) event under the same circumstances?

Sorry to hear about the swim. That's sh1te. Still, you're in great nick, and the next time you get to compete you'll be even quicker than you would have been today. Would they cancel an open water (swim-only) event under the same circumstances?

No, totally different rules. The OW swim guys build up immunity to cold, and are able for temperatures much less than Tri guys (in fact a lot of them are already swimming skins). ITU rules are worldwide, and I don't think they take into account the specific tolerance to cold Irish swimmers are forced to adapt to (as the less stringent British Tri Fed rules recognise). Imagine a bunch of IMRA guys being told an XC is being cancelled because the downhill is too dangerous on H&S grounds.

Beer mile. Forgot to add that to the calendar. Another glass of wine needed for tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Beer mile. Forgot to add that to the calendar. Another glass of wine needed for tolerance.
    It's gotta be a blast. Not sure that supping a few glasses of wine are really going to help though. You'll be long finished (in theory) before any drunkenness has a chance to get a look in. What (I reckon) you really need to do, is start doing fartleks/strides after every visit to the pub; just to get used to having a jiggly belly full of fizziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Pity about the swim - a long way to go for a duathlon:mad:

On a brighter note, I see you've found your calling - speedy transitions (top 20-ish in both)!

Not bad for a German p0rn star...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That sucked about the weekend, but, go back. Give it another chance. The race is worth it on a good day. I guess its a lottery so early in May in this country :rolleyes: Thought you were doing Warrior of the Sea?

That sucked about the weekend, but, go back. Give it another chance. The race is worth it on a good day. I guess its a lottery so early in May in this country :rolleyes: Thought you were doing Warrior of the Sea?

Maybe Beginnis will be a better idea (Saturday 27th July). It would be a positive way of killing my Valentia demons...

Yup, I'm doing Beginnis:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Maybe Beginnis will be a better idea (Saturday 27th July). It would be a positive way of killing my Valentia demons...

This race is on my bucket list. Didn't enter this year as don't know if I'd be up to it and logging qualification swims would be a pain in the arse. I'm entered the Sligo swim the week before.

Just got word from the organizers... Beginnis swim cancelled for 2013. You couldn't make it up!:D

Thankfully I woke up this morning and realised my attitude was crap, sh!t happens, you need to make the best of it, and roll with the punches. I should have raced harder on Saturday instead of sulking around the course. Best foot forward from now on:)

Tue 3,000m swim

Breakthrough, massive breakthrough. I've been breathing explosively, which means I hold my breath for part of the stroke, and exhale all in one go. Today, I tried breathing out with a relaxed constant exhale, and it worked wonders. I didn't have the watch, and the pool clock wasn't on, but I know this was the fastest steady swim I've ever done. My form was... in my humble opinion... excellent throughout the hour in the water. Kick was more than its usual quiver, my stroke was strong, high elbow all the way, and streamlined in a smartie tube throughout.

I realize now that holding my breath may have built up CO2 in the blood, which was probably causing the cramping I've experienced. The new, relaxed, laid back me can now swim at a nice pace forever, now that I have the breathing under control. Peace and love, dudes.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I woke up this morning and realised my attitude was crap, sh!t happens, you need to make the best of it, and roll with the punches. I should have raced harder on Saturday instead of sulking around the course. Best foot forward from now on:)

SNAP! ;)

Peace and love, Kurt.

Advertisement