Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ha! Would you believe I was just thinking about fixing up the old xtracycle, two new tubes, some oil on the chain, and she'd be ready to rock!:D

Sun 60 min turbo

Sufferfest "Fight Club"

5:00 warm-up
    6:00 of tempo riding, with a few attacks
    1:00 recovery
    2nd - 5th lap:
    4:00 time trial effort (with attacks)
    2:30 climbing (with attacks)
    3:00 recovery
    5:00 minute warm-down

I was due a run but my darlin' wifey has the Sun morning joggers slot, so into my brand new dedicated space "pain cave" for a turbo session. We've a big art studio upstairs, which has been gathering dust, junk, boxes, and a turbo bike in the middle. We want to get back to some painting, so yesterday was a day of rearranging the whole studio, so that its ready for work, and my turbo is slotted into an inconspicuous corner, with all sports related items going into a dedicated cabinet, iPad on a shelf dead ahead, drinks on the counter to the side. The upshot was a really tough session was done this morning. I hadn't expected much from the look of the routine, but by the end I was impressed, some good effort put down. Lets hope that work ethic feeds into the art.

Mon 40k bike

Tinahely-Knockanna-Moyne-Tinahely-home

Calfs felt tight today, got dressed for a run, thought the better of it, got dressed again later, thought the better of it, got dressed for a bike leter, glad I went out, what a wonderful evening, and my calf feels better now too.

Thurs 2k OW swim

Nothing done the past few days- I picked up a bug or virus or something, have spent the past 48hrs hallucinating at night and feverish during the day, alternating between sweats and chills. Thankfully, it seemed to break this morning, as I really wanted to attend our last swim session. The water was incredible, I'd actually call it warm. Got there early, and did an easy lap around the boats on this beautiful sunny evening. After the past two days, I was glad to be doing this, feeling alive again. At 7:30 the rest of the club arrived, and coach had us doing sighting practice. Lots of work needed here! I kept being pushed wide by the general flow of the water in the harbour. Next some drafting practise- pretty new to me, I've only drafted once in a race before; again, lots of work to do. Some more drafting, and then another lap of the boats to finish. I didn't have a huge amount of energy tonight, but felt like a new man coming out of those refreshing waters.

Thanks to interested for all the hard work you put in with our group over the past 20 weeks, hopefully we'll start back again in the pool once the season ends.

• Advertisement

Very timely, this just popped up in my email today. A 1:17 100m swimmer drafts an easy 1:07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Very timely, this just popped up in my email today. A 1:17 100m swimmer drafts an easy 1:07

Drafting off the hip would be so much easier if only I could swim in straight line :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Drafting off the hip would be so much easier if only I Joe could swim in straight line :)
    ;)
    I found it hard last night to stay on the hip, and be sure of direction. Also lost my partner quite easily. I find the stream of bubbles from the feet easier to draft from (a lot more practice needed). I might try and get in to Wicklow harbour this evening at around 8pm, if you (or anyone else) are free?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Problem I have with drafting is that the people I can catch up with are then too slow once Im in their wake!

Oryx wrote: »
    Problem I have with drafting is that the people I can catch up with are then too slow once Im in their wake!

Practice sprinting out so you can get on good feet? I dunno, drafting is pretty new to me. I'll be at Wicklow harbour from 8pm- fancy an evening of toe-tickling tonight?;)

• Advertisement

Fri 8k easy run

Along the railway walk, but it could have been a trail in the south of France, such was the light and colours and heat. I didn't push this, as I know to come back from sickness slowly. With that in mind, I've knocked next weekends Boards Beer Mile on the head; its not a good idea to stress a weakened immune system with booze and exercise (at the same time). I've had a huge workload recently, covering da bosses holidays, and cramming for a big exam next Mon. Guess I'm just run down a bit, I'm going to keep an eye on that.

Practice sprinting out so you can get on good feet? I dunno, drafting is pretty new to me. I'll be at Wicklow harbour from 8pm- fancy an evening of toe-tickling tonight?;)
    I would love to tickle your toes, honey, but unfortunately I wont be anywhere near Wicklow tonight....

I would love to tickle your toes, honey, but unfortunately I wont be anywhere near Wicklow tonight....

I wi be running around a field with a group of kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Lucky me Oryx he was tickling mine last night and KG I was swimming straight

4 laps of Wicklow harbour with tide out gives you 3k if you take swim close along shore, dock point end and then across to north pier and down along north pier side

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/321764802

Fri pm 2.1k OW
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Lucky me Oryx he was tickling mine last night and KG I was swimming straight

I thought you were just playing hard to get...

Cheers for the link, I'll call my three laps tonight 700m a pop, I didn't quite go to the dock end. There were a few waves coming from here to the pier, nothing special, but it made sighting a bit more challenging. I cut my wetsuit legs- probably a little more than I intended, just below the knee, but I'm happy enough. My body position seems high enough, it made it easier to try a kick. I guess with less neoprone forcing your kicking (downward) feet upward, this counterforce is no more. Anyway, all seems well, and the swim itself was a magic way to end the day- I was a little late getting in (8:45), but the sun was still visible above the mountains throughout.

Sat 45min turbo/5km run

I spent five hours earlier standing in the middle of a sun-scorched field in Shillelagh, helping sort out each finisher from the races at Wicklow's Community Games final. Very well organized, loads of kids having fun, lots of competition (and a few tears), a good day all round. Little Miss had been expected to medal in the 80m hurdles, but hurt her knee a few days back and it showed, she suffered and finished fifth. Master Godel was in an especially loaded 600m heat, punching above his weight against fellows a couple of years older than him. He was last throughout, but paced it well, and was catching those that had blown up, but the finish line came too soon. However, they both gave it as much as they could on the day, so well done them. Next year they will be in the same age group, and will shine;)

Didn't know what to do myself when I got home- I was fairly tired and its still a roasting hot day. I decided against a preferred spin on the roads, as our local roads are covered in soft tar, massive farm machinery making hay while the sun shines, and red-necked sun-stroke victims driving like loons from one drunken BBQ to another. Safer to hop on the turbo for a spin, and then jump out onto some backroads for a sticky tarry 5km to complete the session. Tough in the heat, but you don't get to choose what temperature race days are at.

Big Statistics exam today in Dublin, up at 4:30am and 3 hours of a pretty difficult paper. Didn't do as well as I'd have liked, I'd say I'm agonizingly close to the magic 85%, but my gut tells me I'm a couple of % points below. Long wait till August results, fingers crossed. In the meantime, tonights swim acted as a catharsis for the past two months burning midnight oil deep in text books.

Mon 2,200m swim

400 wu in 7:20
    6*{100m ripple, 100 shoulder, 100 swim}
    Swims in 1:39, 1:36, 1:36, 1:34, 1:30, 1:30

Jeez, its been a while since I've been at the pool, and it showed tonight. The warm-up I was expecting 6:50 or so, was shocked at how slow it was. At least doing drills has helped- all the 100m swims were tests, about 95% effort. After the first two I realised my head was rolling all over the gaff. At least I know what limiters to look for now. Tried to improve head roll and general form, and I was catching the water a little better towards the latter 100's.

Tue 2,250m swim

400m wu in 7:13

5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:38, 1:42, 1:41, 1:43, 1:43)
    50m ez
    5*100 off 1:50 (in 1:40, 1:42, 1:45, 1:45, 1:47)
    50m ez
    5*100 off 1:45 (no rest, 1:45 av)

250 swim down

More difficulty in the pool. After a few weeks away, my form is dire- you really need to keep on top of this all the time. The warm up felt a lot easier than yesterdays. First set felt comfortable, second set was work, third set felt tough. I should be (was) doing the third set on 1:35-1:40, right at the moment that form seems a million years ago.

Tue 2,250m swim

400m wu in 7:13

5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:38, 1:42, 1:41, 1:43, 1:43)
    50m ez
    5*100 off 1:50 (in 1:40, 1:42, 1:45, 1:45, 1:47)
    50m ez
    5*100 off 1:45 (no rest, 1:45 av)

250 swim down

More difficulty in the pool. After a few weeks away, my form is dire- you really need to keep on top of this all the time. The warm up felt a lot easier than yesterdays. First set felt comfortable, second set was work, third set felt tough. I should be (was) doing the third set on 1:35-1:40, right at the moment that form seems a million years ago.

That's a nice looking set - might give that a go, albeit with longer intervals.

Wed Bray Aquathon, Race 1

I was shattered going into this- nearly fell asleep driving up, and napped for an hour in the car before registering. I'm not sleeping at night, every dream is about statistics- I pushed my brain too hard over the past couple of weeks and now it won't switch off. Plus I had whatever virus it was last week. Is that enough excuses? Because I had a total horror show of the race...

Very well organised by Wicklow Tri, reg was nice and easy, set-up in transition a piece of cake. I chatted to a few familiar faces, and then we marched down to the start. Ladies went off first, and then 10 minutes to acclimitize. Not cold at all, the slightest bit of chop, a little misty; decent conditions. I figured I'd experiment a little in this race, and rather than swim wide of any action, I determined to swim close to the bouys in as straight a line as I could. Got off at a nice clip, to the first bouy. Turning around it, I experienced my first washing machine; bodies everywhere, the sea was all thrashing arms and whiteout. I got winded- whether through being dunked, or panic, I don't know, but I struggled to breath for a while and was hyperventilating. It was so bad I considered pulling from the race- instead I swam to the white bouy with a polo stroke, head up out of the water. Any time I dunked my head I lost my breath. Things got a little better from halfway, and I cruised to the exit. Terrible swim, but valuable lessons learned, I know what to do next time. 9:45 for the swim.

Trans was another nightmare- my suit came off easy enough, but I couldn't get my wet heels into my (Vivo Breatho) shoes, so time lost here. Why don't running shoes come with velcro straps?

On to the run, and I struggled to get going, breathing again was an issue. Joe passed me going up the hill first time, he was going at some clip, good man. Found the hill a real drag- was glad for the turnaround. Opened the legs a little going down, and I had a guy from Wicklow Tri with me from here on we ran together. Heading down to the first lap turnaround, I saw interested coming the other way, he was a good bit ahead, but nothing for it but to open the legs a little and see if I can make ground. Wicklow Tri guy sped up with me, and I put in a burst going up the hill second time, to little avail, as I burned halfway up it. Mark was coming down again, I'd made a bit of ground but still had a ways to go to the summit, and I wouldn't see him again. WT guy passed me before the summit, a declaration of intent. Coming back down we sped up, and John D from Racing795 flew by us at some speed. I figured the only way I'd salvage anything from this race would be to beat WT guy, so I aimed for John along the promenade, and started eating into his gap. My lungs felt like they were going to explode, and kept up a decent finish along to the gantry.

Bit of grub after, and drove home. If it was a goal race I'd be disappointed, a crap swim and crap run does not a good aquathon make. However, I reckon I learned an awful lot by swimming in the shoal, and there's two more races to but that learning into practice. Also, I learned I can't wing the running off bike training, so more runs are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Cant send you a PM! Your inbox must be full of fat pacers details.

You heading to beer mile on Friday!

TRR wrote: »
    Cant send you a PM! Your inbox must be full of fat pacers details.

You heading to beer mile on Friday!

Thanks, I just have 5-hours band left, I'll put you down for that. Really appreciate you giving back, Dave.:)

No way of getting home without driving, so I hope to be there, but as a helper rather than a participant. That 7:30 prediction I made came so easy:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can always go a bit further north for the Pulse race next Wednesday to make ammends ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Well KG, tough going last night by the sounds of things. I love those Bray Aquathons and for the first time since 2010 I won't be able to do one this year :(

Anyway well done and now you have a target for the next time. One thing I will say about Bray is that no two swims are ever the same so don't expect a faster time next time even if you are swimming better.

You and your shoes.... can't help with swim or run tips so....
    If you haven't got them get speed laces :) Hold the shoe in both hands thumbs at the heel and tongue. Push your foot in then stamp to the floor to get it on fully. Fast and foolproof. :)

It's easy to forget you're a still a bit of a newbie when it comes to the mass washing machine start :) Once you've done a few of them you'll start to enjoy the rough and tumble.

@RQ Its too far from my gaff. I know you just want to ogle me in my Tri top so I've PM'd you some photos.

@ElD Great race all right, very good series. Time's aren't important, I'd say we had a strong current behind us last night. Its all about the race.

@Oryx I had lock laces in the shoes, the problem is minimal shoes are a lot tighter to get on that regular shoes (thread here). Just something to improve on for next time.

@Griff I usually swim wide of any action (the few times TI let me swim;)), last night was a conscious choice to see what drafting etc is like. I panicked, and hyperventilated. Next time will be easier.

Thurs 10k steady run

My chest is a bit sore, but the legs are fine, which suggests my limiters last night were the cardiovascular system. Plenty to work on, and in case I sound whingey, I'm very happy with what I learned from the race. Looking forward to drafting better in the next one, where I'll have that bit more experience.

Nice run this morning along the railway walk, wet foliage hanging heavy with the early rain, plenty on my mind, the start of a ramp up in running volume.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RQ Its too far from my gaff.I know you just want to ogle me in my Tri top so I've PM'd you some photos.

You're opening yourself up to all sorts with the abuse you give me for not running mountains for the same reason :p

• Advertisement

You're opening yourself up to all sorts with the abuse you give me for not running mountains for the same reason :p

Oh, sore point with you still?;) Listen sweetie, I'll travel the 65km to Bray for an aquathon, any further just seems a little pointless? And I didn't give you abuse, I just expressed mild disappointment with you in a way that I knew would get under your skin and fester:D

Advertisement