Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tue 2:15 turbo

Done, boring as hell, but done. Seemed to have helped the calf muscle.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I can't help but think of one of the great female swimmers I "grew up" with...whose quest to defy age as a limiter to the Olympics, and whose use of cables in training might be of interest to you. The pertinent part begins at 3 minutes.

Great watch Dory, I looked at all 4 parts, thanks for the link! Wow, she really has an incredible stroke. She's inspirational doing those times (and those abs!) in her mid 40's.

Wed 55 mins turbo, 3k bric run

SF "A very Dark Place", done with a pretty high effort. Then straight into a 3k run to test the calf. It seemed a bit tight starting off, but I kept going and it loosened up after, so I'm happy enough with that. Any runs for the next week will be flat and easy.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Must send you the Wimbleball session see what you think.

Oryx wrote: »
    Must send you the Wimbleball session see what you think.

?? What's that, a turbo workout?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ?? What's that, a turbo workout?

Yeah over two hours replicating a lap of the course

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah over two hours replicating a lap of the course

Ok we can swap sessions some time. Perhaps when you come to video me underwater in my new pool.

Or else I'll be at Pikeman.

Thurs 3km OW swim

Wicklow Harbour, 4 laps of the boats. First two were solo, Griffin was along for the last two. To scratch a mental itch, I wore last years wetsuit, a much cheeper Speedo than my (supposed) upgrade Speedo. It's XL and a bit loose (the new one is L and I've been told its too big), but seems to offer a lot more flexibility around the shoulder and chest, and to be honest, I prefer it.

First lap was steady, second put down a little speed, third was a decent speed, fourth I was fading a bit. There was some chop furthest outside the boats, which made it a useful exercise. Got changed back at the car, watching Griff do his third lap, and admiring his stroke, must take some pointers from him.

Sun 67k bike

Home-Aughrim-WoodenBridge-Arklow-Gorey-Hollyfort-the Gap-Home

Felt good starting, flagging into a headwind all the way into Gorey, kept up a bit of effort to finish.

Mon 30 mins tether swim, 5k easy run

I tried my first proper backyard pool swim with the tether, and I have to say it worked great. I'll hold off calling it a success until a couple of months, but for right now it works better than I could have anticipated.

The run was in the balmy forest, just to test the calf. At half way I felt a small tightness, massaged and stretched it out, and that seemed to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I tried my first proper backyard pool swim with the tether, and I have to say it worked great. I'll hold off calling it a success until a couple of months, but for right now it works better than I could have anticipated.

Oh, pleasepleaseplease pretty please with sugar on top post a pic of you all tethered and in action. Have one of your kids snap a photo for us all to enjoy. :):):):):) ....pretty, pretty pleeeeze......

Oh, pleasepleaseplease pretty please with sugar on top post a pic of you all tethered and in action. Have one of your kids snap a photo for us all to enjoy. :):):):):) ....pretty, pretty pleeeeze......

I already posted this vid (of the smaller pool) in the other thread, I'll get something in the larger soon.

Oh you have made my day, Kurt Godel!!! :D Way cool...and I tip my hat to your ingenuity and sincere enthusiasm.

But wait....larger pool??? You have a larger pool now?? Looks like you might want a longer tether too?? Maybe?? And are you finishing your stroke properly, because it looks a little short from where I'm sitting. Oh, and in the next video, lose the wetsuit. ;)

Oh you have made my day, Kurt Godel!!! :D Way cool...and I tip my hat to your ingenuity and sincere enthusiasm.

But wait....larger pool??? You have a larger pool now?? Looks like you might want a longer tether too?? Maybe?? And are you finishing your stroke properly, because it looks a little short from where I'm sitting. Oh, and in the next video, lose the wetsuit. ;)

Yeah, that pool in the vid is 30" deep, and my hand was scraping the bottom (I think that's whats causing me to finish the stroke early?). I happened to come across a bigger 36" deep pool at half-price, so bought it (and have a proper tether now too!). Todays 30 min swim was in that, it felt a lot closer to proper swimming, I could swim without hitting the bottom. (Thread here)

But I'll certainly put up a vid in the bigger pool, and by all mean please do give any and all advice on my stroke! I'll lose the wetsuit if we go over 20˚C over here- if we go over 25˚I'll lose the shorts;)

and have a I'll lose the wetsuit if we go over 20˚C over here- if we go over 25˚I'll lose the shorts;)

<crosses fingers and toes for a heat wave in Ireland> ;)

Its how I've always pictured you. Tied up with nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Love how the effort went in to the landscaping around the pool too!:D

You wouldn't see that work put in for flowers!! ;)

Regarding heating the pool....two words: solar cover!! You'll be losing the shorts in no time!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Regarding heating the pool....two words: solar cover!! You'll be losing the shorts in no time!!! :D

We'd need sun for that though....

Tue 3km OW swim

Well, no sun today, and with the wind earlier I had pictured crashing waves at Wicklow harbour. However, it had all calmed down by the time I got there. Very cold getting in, I did a first lap and was joined by Griffin from the second one. He was faster than me on the second and third, I upped the effort to stay up with him on my fourth. I'm a little concerned about the new wetsuit I have, its very tight across the shoulders and chest (although I can zip it up myself so I'm told that makes it too big for me?). Perhaps this is just a convenient excuse for being currently slower than guys I used be faster than, (and absolutely no offence meant to them!) but something is amiss. I seem to be labouring to rotate the shoulders, and it feels constricting to breath. My older Speedo is a size bigger (so looser), but has a different build and is much more flexible around the shoulders. I'm going to opt for wearing it at Pikeman on Saturday, we'll see if it brings me any more luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tue 3km OW swim

Well, no sun today, and with the wind earlier I had pictured crashing waves at Wicklow harbour. However, it had all calmed down by the time I got there. Very cold getting in, I did a first lap and was joined by Griffin from the second one. He was faster than me on the second and third, I upped the effort to stay up with him on my fourth. I'm a little concerned about the new wetsuit I have, its very tight across the shoulders and chest (although I can zip it up myself so I'm told that makes it too big for me?). Perhaps this is just a convenient excuse for being currently slower than guys I used be faster than, (and absolutely no offence meant to them!) but something is amiss. I seem to be labouring to rotate the shoulders, and it feels constricting to breath. My older Speedo is a size bigger (so looser), but has a different build and is much more flexible around the shoulders. I'm going to opt for wearing it at Pikeman on Saturday, we'll see if it brings me any more luck.

The real test will be on Saturday at Pikeman ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    The real test will be on Saturday at Pikeman ;)

Looking forward to it, glad you've entered. You're improving, you tasted blood in the water last night, should be a good race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Looking forward to it, glad you've entered. You're improving, you tasted blood in the water last night, should be a good race:D

Any race will end after the swim as I haven't been on a bike properly in months. That said i'll give it a good go.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Any race will end after the swim as I haven't been on a bike properly in months. That said i'll give it a good go.

That's what I like about Tri, the scope for races within races (better still when they play to your strengths). I've bought a perpetual trophy for "Winner of swim part and first run lap" at Bray aquathlon between myself and Abhainn. Although given his recent improvements I'm having the engraving changed to "winner of swim part and first 250m".

You should buy yourself a medal too for Pikeman, its all about the swim. Everything afterwards is gravy ;)

I would get you guys medals, but it would only make the other competitors jealous.

Do say hi at registration griffin.

Or a bottle of wine in lieu of a medal works too!! ;);)

Thurs 7 easy run

My calf remains a problem, its very tight, and I keep thinking its going to "pop" and put me out of action for ages. I've had this happen once before a few years back, imagine the sound of a tennis ball being whacked with a racquet, well that's the sound a calf tendon snapping makes. Not something I want to hear again without a Pimms in my hand, so I'm tentative about the run part at Pikeman. Today, though, I just wanted to see that there was no problems, and a short easy flat run passed with flying colours.

Good luck on Saturday, Mr. Fancy Pants. I hope your calf tendon doesn't pop, that would really suck and might put you in jeopardy of delivering on the award winning dancing you've promised after DCM.

Sat Pikeman Oly 2:22:05 (00:21:51 01:12:22 00:45:22)

Really enjoyed this race, the sun was shining, the swim went ahead;), the bike surface was fab, and my calf played ball on the run.

Swim 00:21:51 (16th)

Put on the (old) wetsuit, the seam splits way up the leg! Sh!t! quick spin on the bike back to my car, cut off the calfs, back to trans, sorted. Water was calm and warm, I paced the whole thing steady from the off, and by the time we hit the first acute bouy, the field had spread a little. I wanted to grab as much of a draft as I could, and found it easier to jump onto feet. Compared to my recent Aquathon mishap, this was a much more controlled swim. I kept sighting, and left feet if they weren't going where I thought they should. Breathing was fine, I felt good throughout, total contrast to my last swim race. Exited the water feeling good, a decent swim without over exerting myself, solid start.

T1 1:30 (40th)

We had racked together so a quick glance told me I had won the battle of the boozehounds, but Griff came in very soon after me. I laboured to put on talc-filled socks, grabbed the bike, and off.

Bike 1:12:22 (42nd)

This was a great bike route, the surface was so good that you could immediately feel any extra effort translate into forward momentum. Super surface, and Wexford Tri had marshalls at every junction, it worked very well. Drafting warnings were well heeded, as far as I could see. I got passed by a few superbikes, and looking at my results I'm a little surprized to see only 42nd, I thought I had a decent bike. Guess its under 30kph and thats the difference (edit*actually 33+kph, happy with that). The turnarounds at the ferryport meant you got to see who was closing, and I noticed Griff and counted seconds, the gap seemed stable enough. The one marshal waving a Stop sign at the last roundabout was a bit confusing though, I came to a standstill because he was looking directly at me and waving the sign, but only then I realised he was intending it for traffic. I wasn't the only one he confused, so thats maybe just the one small point in an excellant race to consider for next year? Happy with the bike, again it was solid rather than spectacular.

T2 0:00:58 47th

Minimal shoes in trans, cost me seconds getting them on (as well as the sock in T1), I need to get a better option, they don't work for fast transitions.

Run 00:45:22 32nd

I found it hard to get a rhythm in the run, starting off was a shuffle. It felt like running in a dream, where you can't go as fast as you want to. The couple of loops let me see how any ding-dongs were playing out, as I plodded around. After 3 or 4 k I managed to pick it up a little, and by 7k I started to pass a few. All the time I was conscious of keeping an even pace, of not stressing the calf. This seemed to work, I got around without incident. With a km to go I heard steps behind me closing, and determined to let them go, no point risking the calf for a single place, right? Wrong, if there's one thing I can do well its a sprint finish, so I upped the pace and held him off. The calf obeyed, no damage done, and its always nice to take back a sprint finish victory from a race :)

Overall I'm happy enough, my first Oly, and its a distance which suits me well. There's some simple trans things I can do which will help bring down that time to under 2:20, and with more training I'd like to get under 2:15 at Dublin Tri- its certainly a reachable target. I'm going to finish all the beer in my house this hot weekend, and go dry again for a while, that helps focus the training and weight. Today's race was a joy to be in, Wexford Tri really outdid themselves, its a beautiful part of the world (how couldn't it be, containing Oryx?;)), and I'll certainly be back next year. Nice to meet so many people down there today (never got to see Bambaata though, next time hopefully).

• Advertisement

Well done you!!! In your honor, I will drink all the wine in my house this hot weekend so you won't be drinking alone. It's sad to drink alone. So, let's not be sad....instead, let's toast your most awesome performance today! <clink> Cheers!!! :D

Advertisement