Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

pgibbo wrote: »

FYI - DCT is far from flat. I think it's one of the hardest run courses I've done. I found it much tougher than Kilkee. There's only one hill on the bike and you go up that 4 times IIRC

It's in the Phoenix Park! I've never done Kilkee, but running up Khyber Pass a couple of times is considered fairly flat in my book (used to be a hill runner)! Certainly its nothing like the hills of BOTE. Anyway, hills are all relative, so I take your point. A couple of sharp drags on an otherwise flat course suits me down to the ground- its the constant slog up a long hill that wears me down!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'd challenge him to some kind of food contest, but it'd be like taking candy from a baby. ;)

You've nothing left to give up! No contest!:D

Tue 11k hill run

With thoughts of hills and lard on my mind, I decided to head up around my old training ground, Annagh Hill. I haven't been here for a while, being happy to stay on flat routes while my knee repaired itself. There's no noticable knee issues these days, so I paid the old trails a visit. It felt like good work- you always get benefit from hill running, even if you race on the flat. I did what I used to do, take the hills with a bit more effort, and coast the downhills. There's plenty of variety on Annagh, and I got in a good bit of climbing. Found some new routes on the way back, there's always something new to discover, I love running around this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You've nothing left to give up! No contest!:D

Who said we had to give up anything!!?? ;):D

Who said we had to give up anything!!?? ;):D

Ok, a Nathan's hot-dog eating challenge then. I can be the obese football-loving jock; you get to be the skinny Japanese kid with the bottomless stomach...

• Advertisement

Wed 50 min turbo

Sufferfest "A very dark place"
    I'm growing to really like the turbo, you can throw down a lot of structured pain intervals on it. Main set was 5*(4 mins various hard, 3 mins easy), and I gave it what I had. Tough session.

Knee feels a bit sore from yesterdays hills, nothing too bad, but enough to remind me not to run downhill too often.

Ok, a Nathan's hot-dog eating challenge then. I can be the obese football-loving jock; you get to be the skinny Japanese kid with the bottomless stomach...

Ooooo.....she is referred to as the Black Widow. I'm liking that! :D

Thurs 13k steady run 60:30

Warm muggy day along the flat forest, I felt good trotting along at a steady clip. This route (+ about 150m more) used be my "tester" for run fitness; if I can do it under and hour I'm happy (pb is about 56mins). So to do it at a cruising speed in this time gives me confidence that running is going in the right direction.

Boom! The (shotgun) trigger has been pulled, I now have all the parts of a TT bike upstairs ready for assembly. Let's hope De Selby's atomic theory of bikes is correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Boom! The (shotgun) trigger has been pulled, I now have all the parts of a TT bike upstairs ready for assembly. Let's hope De Selby's atomic theory of bikes is correct :)

Can we see a before and after picture of the assembly, are you going to try it yourself, its something I have been considering myself

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Can we see a before and after picture of the assembly, are you going to try it yourself, its something I have been considering myself

I'm thinking a video of the assembly as it unfolds is in order here! Can you even imagine Kurt's blow by blow commentary??? ;):D

Sat 32.5k bike

Carnew-Shillelagh-Tinahely-home
    First time using the pointy helmet, deffo makes a big difference. My neck is a bit sore now though.

I'm thinking a video of the assembly as it unfolds is in order here! Can you even imagine Kurt's blow by blow commentary??? ;):D

It'd be X-rated for language;) I have the bike assembled, however I tried the cabling that was on previous, but it is cut to fit a Medium frame. After hours of trying to thread frayed cable ends into tiny holes, I admitted defeat and gave in to the inevitible. I'm waiting for new cabling from CRC before fixing the breaks and gears, should be good to go in a few days. "Before" picture below. (BTW the bike stand is one of those Lidl €35 jobbies, great value for the money and very sturdy)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WgyK2FebRaM/UfQir4BOhTI/AAAAAAAAA94/gpaPxDuneSA/s800/SAM_0622.JPG" height="533" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_Tfq-cj35EY/UfQiuWTF8tI/AAAAAAAAA94/5UkuZDFAkys/s800/SAM_0623.JPG" height="533" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q5Tsh67N4K4/UfQlYBtECLI/AAAAAAAAA-U/u3eDLTtAz6Q/s800/SAM_0631.JPG" height="533" width="800"[/IMG]

Sun Hillbrook loop (10.14k, 46:52, 143m elevation gain)

Guess who found his old Garmin 305?;) It was hiding under a carseat, but a fresh charge and its working good as new again. I decided on my old Hillbrook loop, it was very hot out there, and I gave it a good lash. The first hills are a real drag, but I upped the pace along the top road, eased downhill, and upped pace and effort all the way to the end from there. I'm happy enough with the pace etc, which compares favourably to what I used to run this route in when fitter, so running continues to improve in the right direction.

40 mins tether
    I've been neglecting swimming a bit this week, my "method" as such is to target my weakest discipline, and right now thats running. Todays swim felt good, a nice catch going on. I'll need to visit the pool this week to see how some timed 100's are playing out- whether the tether makes better :)

Catchy little phrase there. Could put that on a tshirt or swim cap. ;)

Catchy little phrase there. Could put that on a tshirt or swim cap. ;)

"I've been neglecting swimming a bit this week", should really be the motto of this forum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

"I've been neglecting swimming a bit this week", should really be the motto of this forum;)

Agree. I entered the 3.9 on the Sunday so see you there :)

Quick build there. Figured the cables may be short. Really interested to track your progress on those much loved wheels.

Quick Q. How did you find the swim watch for accuracy/GPS pick up/pool vs OW ?

Agree. I entered the 3.9 on the Sunday so see you there :)

Quick build there. Figured the cables may be short. Really interested to track your progress on those much loved wheels.

Quick Q. How did you find the swim watch for accuracy/GPS pick up/pool vs OW ?

Great, look forward to seeing you there Mike. It really is an incredible place to swim.:)

The bike build is a useful lesson in itself. Can't wait to get out on it!

The Garmin Swim doesn't have GPS, it uses an accelerometer to measure stroke. I found it pretty accurate in the pool- it might only drop a length if you slowed or stopped halfway- and the stroke analysis afterwards was helpful.

Mon 60 mins turbo

Sufferfest "Downward Spiral"- hard and sweaty, 'nuff said.

Weekly weigh-in|Weight (kg)
    22nd July 2013|88.5
    29th July 2013|87.0

Out- beer, wine, biscuits, crisps, chocs.
    In- food diary, porridge for brekkie.

Tue 6.67k easy run, 1,800m swim

The run this morning was just an easy leg-loosener, it was the slowest I've run in a while (5:09/km), and felt good. I should start to include more easy runs in double days.

The swim... well lets just say I was apprehensive about my first return to the pool in a couple of months. Besides a few sea swims, the vast majority of my swimming lately has been with the tether, an unproven training form for me. Recent swim races have been mixed (OK in Rosslare, good in Lanesboro, crap in BOTE), so I didn't really have any markers on my progress, if any. I figured I'd do 3 sets of 5*100, descending off 2:00, so maybe the first should be in around 1:50 or so. That way I could see how I held up as they got faster.

I started the first, going at a pace that was steady, but I had no idea what time it was. All I knew was it was manageable, my catch was noticeably stronger, and I was expecting in around 1:50- 1:55. Got the four lengths done, stopped and glanced up at the clock- 1:31, wow! I was gobsmacked, and went again for another on 2:00. This one was a similar feel, again felt like I had a strong catch; in on 1:33. I decided to ditch any descending session and just see how I'd continue doing 10 of them off 2:00. It felt tougher towards the end, but they were all in 1:31-1:34. I'm pretty happy with that now, as it means all the work with the tether is showing results. My catch is a lot stronger, and form seems better too. I did another 5 off 2:00, purposefully slower, at a cruising pace so that breathing felt a lot easier; all in 1:40- 1:43. Form wasn't quite so good for these, its as though my form is better if I'm traveling faster.

Main set: 10 off 2:00 (in 1:31-1:34); 5 off 2:00 (in 1:40- 1:43)

Well, tether my @ss and call me Dory. Well done you!! :)

• Advertisement

Ooh shotgun vs KG at Glendalough on Step 8 :D. Your experience swimming sets in dead water might be the difference by then

Great swimming there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I did another 5 off 2:00, purposefully slower, at a cruising pace so that breathing felt a lot easier; all in 1:40- 1:43. Form wasn't quite so good for these, its as though my form is better if I'm traveling faster.

You stopped kicking.

interested wrote: »
    You stopped kicking.

This wouldn't have occurred to me, but thinking about it you're on the money. My form when slower deteriorates, I certainly felt less streamlined in the latter set; sinking legs.

Wed 60 mins turbo, 30 mins tether

Easy spinning on the turbo, watching "Dredd" again. I could so do the jaw better than Karl Urban.

I usually use a pull bouy when tethered, as the legs tend to drop without hydro dynamic lift. Kicking otherwise is a lot of work, but I need to work a bit more on my kick. So the first 20 mins was without pull bouy, and it was tough. Hopefully more of this will transfer into a better kick in general. Finished with 10 mins pull.

Thurs 10k run 43:30

A lot of traveling and work today meeting clients, I was really looking forward to letting off some steam come eveningtime. I needed a small part for the new bike (a small headset steerer bung to replace one I broke with too much torque:o), and it arrived when I got home, so the bike is now fully assembled. However, its raining and windy here, and I'm not giving it its first test run in dodgy conditions, so a run was on the cards instead.

Up to the forest, and straight into a nice 10k trail out'n'back. The first few km felt great, the next felt good, the last felt grating. Steady pace all the way, I passed by a few clubmates going in the opposite direction on the return (really should have checked, its better to run with company). I'm happy enough with the time for the effort.

Hopefully bike tomorrow:)

Fri 32k bike

New bike! I finished the bike and took it for its first spin this evening. Straight away I noticed how easily it climbed the first hill. Onto a flat stretch, start spinning, down on the bars for the first time... the bars started turning downwards. Stop for an adjustment to tighten them. Onward again towards Tinahely... I heard a "ping!" and knew a part had fallen off. Luckily I found it undamaged (small screw-in part from the pedal). This ride was all about teething problems, and getting them sorted. I raised the saddle a little (legs felt cramped), and set off again. Riding on the bars is tricky, a new skill-set I'll have to get used to. Through Tinahely and up the steep hill like it wasn't there. I opened up along this section, and the ride down into Shillelagh was terrifyingly fast. This bike can really move down hills. I couldn't stay on the bars so moved to the breaks. Another lesson learned, don't leave any fingers between breaks and bars when squeezing...

Through Shillelagh and along a straight flat section into Carnew. My shoulders were aching, squashed reach on the bars. So when I got to the town I moved the bars forward, and raised the saddle a bit more. This was more comfortable alright, but I think power suffered.

Initial thoughts- the bike certainly is a big advantage, it climbs well, descends like a demon, and eats up the flat. I'll certainly have to find my best position, or get a fit. Handling will need more practice, and some minor gear/brake cable adjustments. Once these things are sorted, it'll make a huge difference to bike times. It just cuts through the air like a blade. The wheels were tearfully let go by their previous owner, and I can see why, they are very very fast. Photo below (well what else was I going to use as a backdrop?:D)

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A6_31TGBN08/UfwTgP6O-zI/AAAAAAAAA_M/iSfW_qPX5ZI/s800/SAM_0638.JPG" height="533" width="800"[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

That's some badass bike!!

Well wear Kurt, those wheels hum for sure :( good job on the assembly too. The seat can go back too. Lots of options to make it fit. Adjust millimetres at a time. You have it set up aggressively enough. Worth getting a fit done. Oh and chain on big ring for pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Bike is looking really well Kurt. Hard to tell from the angle but looks like your saddle is fairly sloped forward. This could be causing you to fall forward onto your TT bars and could be leading to some of the feelings of being squashed. You would be using your shoulders and arms to try and keep your body from slipping off saddle. Another +1 for what Shotgun said too, millimetres at a time when your adjusting.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Bike is looking really well Kurt. Hard to tell from the angle but looks like your saddle is fairly sloped forward. This could be causing you to fall forward onto your TT bars and could be leading to some of the feelings of being squashed. You would be using your shoulders and arms to try and keep your body from slipping off saddle. Another +1 for what Shotgun said too, millimetres at a time when your adjusting.

Good advice from you and shotgun, I'll be tinkering with it for a while yet. The sloping saddle is certainly putting pressure on my shoulders and arms; that'll be the next thing to tinker with. I've noticed alright that very small changes make very big differences in performance. Think I'll try and get a bike fit this week.

Advertisement