Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sat 58k bike including 40k @ 31.8kph

Lovely morning here, bright and fresh, if a little blustery. I moved the bars back a fraction from yesterday, and set out on the road. A gear change after 10k caused my chain to drop off- need to limit the front derailleur. The route was Aughrim-Woodenbridge-Arklow, roads are decent enough in the main. It always slows a bit going through Arklow town, but the old N11 road to Inch is a good stretch, if into a headwind today. I hit 40k a couple of mins quicker than the last time I did this route at pace, and there's certainly more to be gained with some tinkering.

Easy 18k back home, over the hills.

Sun 100m swim;)

Never has such little in a training day been such fun. On a whim we decided to take the kids OW swimming, a web search threw up river swimming at Graignamanagh, so we headed there. Unbeknowst to us, the annual Graignamanagh Regatta was on, with a heap of water based activities going on- rowing, swimming, Cot racing, rope-across-the-river... The latter was a blast to watch, as men would try to traverse a rope suspended across the river, using only their hands, to reach a bag almost at the other bank, which contained €200. Invariably they fell with a splash at various stages of attempt... great to watch!

There was an U10's swimming race, so my daughter entered, and much to her fathers delight, won the race:D She led from the start before almost being caught, looked around at her chaser, and took off again to the wall like a shark! My son had to jump up a couple of years above his age to the U14's, who were altogether a more formidable looking bunch. He came last, but was catching the bunch all the while, he still came in 58secs for the (advertised) 50m. Of course he's disappointed- and he just missed the final of the tyre tube float by coming a close third in his heat- but my job now is to turn that disappointment into analysis so he can learn to be better prepared and faster next time around. In case he's figured out how The Internet works- I'm really proud of your swim too, son!:D

Soon came time for the adults 100m race, a diving start from the (high!) bank, touch the other side, and back. I came up from the dive in fourth, the first two opened a gap to the other side, and I battled to stay with third. Hit the bank and turned, and I was finding it hard to make any progress into the gap to third. I lengthened my stroke and increased the kick, and slowly I was catching him... he must have tired, because I made a couple of meters lead on him over the last 25m to take third place. The cheesy trophy will be thrown into a drawer but secretly glanced at with pride every so often.

There was a mile race scheduled, which I was really looking forward to, but unfortunately cancelled due to not enough competitors, pity as this is a really fantastic stretch of water to swim in. I'll be back!:)

PS. At the end of the day, last year's local hero champ had a final go at crossing the rope. He made it to within 10 meters of the bag, with the crowd going wild. He paused there for his first breather, then made another hard-won 5 meters, paused again (agony on his face), made it to 2 meters to go... and fell in! Better luck to him next year:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You doing the Bray Aquathlon on the 14th?

Weekly weigh-in|Weight (kg)
    22nd July 2013|88.5
    29th July 2013|87.0
    5th Aug 2013|86.5

You doing the Bray Aquathlon on the 14th?

Yeah I hope to do it, I've a swim monster to kill from last time. Are you doing it yourself? Anything with the WTC stamp on it is always well organized; great little race this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Yeah I hope to do it, I've a swim monster to kill from last time. Are you doing it yourself? Anything with the WTC stamp on it is always well organized; great little race this one.

Yeah, thinking of heading out...off work that day so either this or Castlepollard 5k will suit. Not race fit so aquathlon will prob suit better with swim to boost me.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thinking of heading out...off work that day so either this or Castlepollard 5k will suit. Not race fit so aquathlon will prob suit better with swim to boost me.

Great, hope to see you there. As ever, I'll be the tall sexy figure poured into my wetsuit and sucking in my gut.

Mon 2,000m OW swim
    A great evenings swimming in Wicklow Harbour, brilliant tonic for a long day.

Tue 1,500m OW swim, 6.3k run

Down at Courttown tonight, the sea was as good as it gets, so I swam in just the trisuit. A little brain freeze at first, but that soon was forgotten as I battled a few choppy waves and swam straight out to the flag. The waves were bigger out here, and there was a pull in the water, so I swam in again quickly. It felt great tonight, bashing into the waves, a lot more of a battle than sheltered Wicklow harbour. I was relishing the freedom of the trisuit- this weekends' Greystones Sprint is optional wetsuit, so I might just see how I get on with a bit more freedom. Up and down a few times along the shore, waiting for the rest of the Triclub to arrive- this really was great fun!

Soon they joined me in the water, and we swam with the current for about 450m along the shore. They were suited up, and it took a fair amount of effort to get ahead of them, they were a lot closer than usual. Come the turnaround, however, we swam back against the flow, and what a difference! I cut open a very large gap, as they struggled against the waves. I think the suits had a large part to play here- wetsuits will carry you along with the current, but are an increased resistance against it (at least as far as I could make out tonight). Everyone's swimming is coming along fantastically though, and its great to see several newbie swimmers (as of this Jan) take on OW waves with confidence.

Out of the sea and a quick change for a loop of the forests, beaches, backroads, and trails of Courttown. Ray had scouted a loop a couple of days previous, and its a great one to be running on. Soft forrest trails at first, then onto and along the beach, before more forest leads you to a quiet backroad. Stephen picked up the pace from here, and I kept with him until a small hill, where he just tore open a gap and maintained till the end. The last couple of km were done at a decent clip, overall time was 27 or 28 mins or thereabouts.

Thurs 27k bike, 6k hill run, 27k bike

I fiddled with the saddle a bit, and did the first 20k of the bike in 36:36. The parts that were the same as my last bike (first 15k) were faster, so I'm happy enough. I'd like to be racing 20k under 34 mins though, so more effort needed. A few hills after this, and I changed into my runners for the hill run.

This took me along a forest route to the summit of Croaghanmoira, where I wanted to photo the dumped toilet on the summit. Some retarded fukwit mutants went to huge effort to drag a portable toilet to the summit, and spray paint "Hill Walkers You're Welcome", so that everyone could share in their misery. I needed to get the photos to report the dumping to the CC tomorrow. This horrible snoid behaviour is the worst thing about living in Ireland, that there are scum who deliberately set out to offend and bring everyone down. Now anyone who summits this wilderness gets to see the fruits of their "creativity". Anyway, 6k done, slow and plodding.

Back into the bike shoes, and some furious descending (on the brakes!) into Aughrim, and back home again. I had raised the saddle a half cm for the return, and I think it was too much. I need to get the bike fit, but won't have time before this weekends Sprint race in Greystones. The family are coming to this one, I'm looking forward to the day.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z1D3-O7HP1E/UgO7ykatsnI/AAAAAAAABAM/C1vZ4kyEKCw/s800/IMAG0254.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0RxDljpaOUs/UgO70klHxNI/AAAAAAAABAM/0QSmTbIZ7AA/s800/IMAG0256.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MZI4G-Bv3ks/UgO75p_bNUI/AAAAAAAABAM/X7ag04dwYYI/s800/IMAG0259.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

Fri Tinahely bike loop 19.7k 38:36

My legs are wrecked after yesterday's climbing- almost three hours biking and running takes its toll. I especially noticed a muscle pain in my ass starting this loop off today, but it soon went. I have the bike back in yesterday's starting position, and wanted to see how it felt. I need to raise the saddle I think, legs seem a bit too bent at full stretch. Until I get the bike fit it'll just be trial and error.

This loop went ok, a minute faster than the last time I timed it, but it should be a couple of minutes quicker still, I want to get down around the 36 min mark.

Sat 8k bike, 10 min tether

Nothing much today, with the race tomorrow (King of Greystones) I just fiddled with the bike and took it for a spin, and wore the tight wetsuit for a stretch. My legs still feel dead from Thursday (it was worth it though as I got in touch with the owners of the Portaloo who will take it off the mountain next week). I'm still in two minds about the wetsuit- I'd like the chance to swim without it (which is permitted in this race), but would probably lose time as the swim will be in the direction of the prevailing current.

For the rest of the race, the plan is just to give it what I got on the day, there's a good few from the club entered so I'll have to watch my back during the bike and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

This will probably be your last chance to race skins this year and the pressure from behind will keep you going. If you are even thinking about it I'd go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sat 8k bike, 10 min tether

Nothing much today, with the race tomorrow (King of Greystones) I just fiddled with the bike and took it for a spin, and wore the tight wetsuit for a stretch.

I assume you did not wear the tight wetsuit while you took the bike for a spin. ??

Good luck tomorrow!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    This will probably be your last chance to race skins this year and the pressure from behind will keep you going. If you are even thinking about it I'd go for it :)

I ditched my suit when I saw we would be swimming against the current. Report later, but for now- what a brilliant swim; tough, unrestricted- swimming skins is so much better!

Sun King of Greystones Sprint

I've no idea whatsoever of my times or place, so this report is once again done on feel, and stands to be ridiculed once the timing company get their finger out..

I was pretty apprehensive driving up (with the family) to the race, that's a good thing. These races tend towards being dreaded beforehand, and life-affirming during and after. So it was today. Regged easy enough, but had to spend a while walking up and down looking for a spot to squeeze the bike into, space (unassaigned) was at a premium. Eventually I forced the bike between a heavy steel mountain bike, and a top-end Carvelo, and hoped for the best. I walked down to the swim start to Stephen, who commented that the swim looked a lot longer than 750m. It did, and I was quite happy with this- payback for every other "have-a-go" swim I've done that got truncated;) Into the cold water to acclimatise, and straight away I noticed the current was against us. The race was wetsuit optional, but we'd been told swim direction would be decided on the morning, and would be with the current. I beached myself and stripped off the wetsuit, no way I was going to pass up this chance. A non-wetsuit swim with the current would lose too much time, but I fancied my chances against the flow.

Swim
    Deep water start in a line, looking at those far off blue bouys. The gun goes, and I hammer it. This is all about killing that $h1t BOTE swim. After 150m or so I look up, there's bodies around, jump on legs. Another 50m, they're slowing, dump 'em, jump on someone faster. Another 50m, they're slowing, quick look, no-one close, just go myself. I was enjoying this swim, it was tough, my legs were lower without the suit and I needed to work hard to hold good form. My arms reveled in the freedom of no suit, and I reckon I was swimming strongly. Who knows what the final analysis will be once the times come out, but as far as I'm concerned I was holding my own again wetsuits. From about half way point, people began to tire, and I dropped a few and pushed on to the next group. I was breathing on 2, drinking a fair share of water, but feeling like I was doing the swim justice. Past the first bouy, and its 200m to home. I pushed on here, caught a few, turned for home and exited (wide of the proper exit, which was very hard to see with all the people on the beach). Ran to trans, knowing I'd saved a little time by not having to take off a wetsuit, got my photo taken, a snap I like because I look like one of those "enough-blubber" salt-ravished proper OW swimmers rather than a skinney-malinkey €800-wetsuited Tri guys;)

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wq1pmaOaYG8/UgfvC6cpQ0I/AAAAAAAABBM/0swerW7hhU0/s640/Screen%20shot%202013-08-11%20at%2021.04.26.png" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

T1
    Hahahaha so long, suckers!:D

Bike
    Mount was a bit of carnage, run to exit and try to mount alongside a stream of irate stopped motorists. I ran further up the road with the bike, and mounted there. Two laps for the route, each of which was a long climb through roundabouts, followed by a descent on the other side. The bike worked well, I think I have it in a decent position now. Hard to tell who was who with the waves, put I don't think I was passed by more than maybe 4 or 5 from my wave, which I'm happy about. The descents were great, super fast on the Dura Ace wheels. I was breathing hard throughout, worked well on the bike, and don't think I could have gone much faster, so I'm happy about the bike.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Yl7TYl0bwTU/UgiMD6fKaII/AAAAAAAABCE/2EAzA3Fn8hg/s640/Screen%20shot%202013-08-12%20at%2008.16.23.png" height="640" width="465"[/IMG]

T2
    K-Swiss velcro shoes, as ever its a job getting the heel in, so maybe 30 secs lost here. No real complaints.

Run
    I felt like I started running off the bike better than I have been before. That's not really saying too much, but I've to be content with the run. I was passed by 3 or 4 maybe, and didn't really put the hammer down, maybe picking up the pace a bit after 3k or so. No sprint finish as noone was close in front or behind.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KBUmT6UeURM/Ugfx-hfczaI/AAAAAAAABBo/l82l9GGfTWg/s640/Screen%20shot%202013-08-11%20at%2021.19.19.png" height="426" width="640"[/IMG]

Overall
    No complaints, if it was a goal race I'd have had to run faster and enter the pain zone for the run, as I did for the swim and bike. Obviously I'm happiest about those two disciplines, and I feel I got that BOTE swim monkey off my back. Even if the times/positions don't tally with my perceived effort, I'll be happy enough, this race gave me confidence. A good sharpener for Dublin in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done Kurt. Inspired. If I do a sprint tri I might try the Skins approach :)

Results Swim 20:07.9 T1 00:35.6 Bike 32:48.3 T2 00:41.0 Run 22:11.3 Overall1:16:24

Ha, well that's just burst my bubble!:D My swim was a lot slower than other guys were, so there should have been a benefit in being suited after all. Not to worry, I enjoyed the swim immensely and this wasn't a goal race. Lesson learned for next time. Fastest T1 of the day, though!;)

Bike was quicker than I expected, that's down to the new rothar, run was as I expected. Overall place 21st, I'm happy enough with the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

First time I've seen someone taking a wetsuit off before getting in to the water. Well done on a very good result and making the rest of us look like wimps.

Basster wrote: »
    First time I've seen someone taking a wetsuit off before getting in to the water. Well done on a very good result and making the rest of us look like wimps.

I got my ass handed to me by some of those wimps! Very glad I raced skins to know what it was like, but having seen the results, I wouldn't do it again, there's too much of a time difference.
    With that in mind I paid a visit to base2race this morning, and had a proper suit fitting from Cian. Well, all I can say was this was a lesson in itself, as I dropped down (another) size, and squeezed into a MediumTall. This cut and flex of the suit was explained, I was shown how to put it on correctly, and got to try out the endless pool. The suit is amazing, a totally different experience than any wetsuit I've worn before. It's tight, but doesn't constrict, my shoulders have full movement. Very impressed with B2R and the effort they put in with customers.

Mon 2.2k OW swim
    I met up with Abhainn tonight for three laps of the harbour, to give the suit a wet dry run. Amazing, it felt great in the water. My sighting was all over the gaff (foggy goggles) but I didn't care; freedom of movement in the sea was what tonight was all about. Some choppy waves wide in the harbour threw us around a bit, but it was all good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

You go for one of the zeroD wetsuits Kurt? Look very nice, the girlf got one at the start of the season and was half looking at getting one myself if I could sell the one I got under warranty. Didn't happen tho, maybe next season.

joey100 wrote: »
    You go for one of the zeroD wetsuits Kurt? Look very nice, the girlf got one at the start of the season and was half looking at getting one myself if I could sell the one I got under warranty. Didn't happen tho, maybe next season.

Yeah, the Neptune. The blue area is all one piece of less dense neoprene, so you've bouyancy along the pivot of the torso and flexibility where needed elsewhere. I can't put it on without assistance, and even then its a struggle! Feels like a second skin though. Go for it Joey, you deserve a new suit;) Stick a price on your old one an sell it, I've sold a few things on the forum to help pay for newer things (amazing how the kit can grow:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I wish! Currently building a new road bike and the electronic groupset is arriving soon so wont be allowed spend any more for a while. Really are nice suits, girlf very briefly had a top of the range speedo suit before it and much prefers the zeroD, says it's as flexible and the reverse zipper is pretty cool. Maybe next season I'll be able to sneak one into the house......

Tue 10k easy run

My legs were in bits today, maybe DOMS or some hangover from Sunday's race. I was beat after a day of laying heavy paving slabs too, and after dinner it was all too easy to take a day off. Logged onto boards, read someone's training log... and the sheer volume in it shamed me into getting out the door at sunset. 5k easy up Hillbrook, and turn to catch the easel of colour that was the sun setting over distant mountains, clouds wisped with orange, then pink, then red... my pace picked up along here, legs felt much better, a real tonic of a run.

Bray Aquathon tomorrow evening, work permitting.

Wed Bray Aquathlon Race 3

My legs were in bits today, really sore (I think from lifting and placing slabs yesterday). So much so that I really was considering ditching the run part of this race... instead I did it, and I'm really glad I did...

Great hassle-free well-organized registration again from Wicklow Tri. This series is so well run, and only €15 a pop, you'd have your faith restored in humanity by all the helpful people in blue tops. Well done to them, again. I suited up and got in the water for a splash. The new suit feels so comfortable, I love it. We were to swim in a southerly direction this time, with the (slight) prevailing current. A harder swim suits me better, but no matter, it was a great night to be in the water. Ladies and relays went first, men went after. I lined up wide, determined to just do my own thing and avoid any scrum; I wanted to enjoy this swim. The gun went, and I hit off, hard out to the first bouy. This was good, I was going well, stayed out of trouble around it, and kept plugging away to the midpoint, jumping on feet for a while, before dropping them if too slow. Things had settled down from half way, swimmers tend to be in packs at this stage, so your finish time is somewhat predetermined by who is around you for the race. I was feeling strong, it was a tough effort for the swim, I kept the head up and plugged away. Goggles fogged up bad, and my sighting was askew in places, so that needs to be sharpened up. Unfortunately we were hitting the back markers of the ladies at this stage, so every so often some random pink hat would be violently rear-ended by faster swimmers. I crashed into about four or five, apologies ladies, its very hard to avoid doing. You see a mass of bubbles and make a dash for them... crash! Anyway, I'm happy with the swim, was out in 10:50 for the (assisted) 750m, can't complain about that.

Trans was okay, the beloved suit came off without issue, took a little longer than I'd like getting the K-Swiss shoes on, grabbed my number belt and off.

Right, the run... the run was an unknown. I was expecting that I'd cramp early on, or that my legs would be dead- but what I didn't want is my usual slow gear plod until I warm up after too late kms. I've been running terribly in races, and its a bother. I had talked this over with Abhainn a few days back, and got some tips from him. As I started the run, I knew my legs were ok, so there was no excuse to not go for it. My overall position was quite high (don't know what it was exactly as I write) after the swim, but usually this just means I get passed by a constant stream of runners throughout the rest of the run. But this time, once a runner passed me straight out of trans, I determined to hang on to him, so I upped my pace and stayed with him. A few more passed us, but from the speed some of them were going I knew they were gone. I stayed with my guy to the top of the hill, took him at the cone and sped up down the hill. This made me catch another overtakee. I was hurting now, running at a decent clip, but fixed my eyes on the guys ahead and said I'll run hard to the end of lap one. Once that was done, I said I'd try and up the pace to the bottom of the hill. I was in a real pain zone now, but the legs were working, I was reeling in targets, this was better than I've raced in years. The hill came for the second time, and I knew I couldn't let up. It was tough to climb, but its tough for everyone. I took another guy on the downhill, and was bust at this stage, maybe another km to go and I was in real pain. Thankfully, I was travelling at a decent clip, so no-one caught me, and I managed to reel in another. I was delighted to finish, probably the most complete race I've done in years, very happy with it altogether. No idea of time or position, but they will be a lot better than the last time I raced this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice one Kurt; good to see you flog the run for a change. I don't do it often but I was in a mile race tonight, after gauging my pace for the first lap or two it was great to just race the last few laps "you are not beating me you b******" makes for a better time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Somehow I didn't think you would not see out the run.
    That is good racing, good to see your back and in good shape for last 2 races

Abhainn wrote: »
    Somehow I didn't think you would not see out the run.
    That is good racing, good to see your back and in good shape for last 2 races

Yeah it was good to suffer more on the run, and get results, felt great.

Hard to compare directly between races, as its all about who turns up on the night, but 23rd place last night versus 54th in the first aquathon, says it all. The swims were on different courses, so no point comparing there, but the run was the same course (about 4.7k), and I took 2:15 off last night. Might have taken a bit more off if you'd been chasing me down;)

My calfs were very tight after the Aquathon, so much so that I just did gentle non-impact stuff for the past few days. That's either wussing out or being protective, depending on your viewpoint. I'd have liked to consolidated recent training gains a bit more over the weekend, but my legs are good to go now so I'm content with that course of action. Some spinning on the turbo, some tethered work, but no running.

Tue 2k pool swim, 8.4k run

I grabbed 40 minutes in the pool at lunchtime, the first pool swim in ages. Straight away I can see the benefits of the tether- I actually have a kick now, and my form in general and for the catch in particular is much improved. I've lost some speed from not being as swim focussed since May, but I'm a whole lot more efficient. This winter is going to see a lot of time gains in the pool, but for the moment I'm happy enough with where my swimming is at.

The run was with some of the guys and gal from the club, a nice steady run along the New New Railway Walk extension. A bit hard on the sole of my minimal shoes, but a good run out and back. No issues with the calfs, and my legs just wanted to take off. Hopefully they'll feel this good at the Dublin race this weekend.

<Vent>

A-goal this weekend, I've been in good shape leading up to it, and now I get a cold. Throat and chest hurt, feel zapped of energy, very annoying. I'll turn up for Dublin and give it what I got, but energy-wise its in the lap of the gods. I'll say a prayer to Bernardino of Siena, (patron saint of chest problems, lung problems, gambling addictions), and while I'm at it, may as well cover my ass and give it up for Saint Joseph (patron saint against doubt, against hesitation, dying people, expectant mothers, happy death, holy death, interior souls, people in doubt, people who fight Communism, pioneers, pregnant women, travellers, and fetuses). Catholics are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Day off. Sleep as much and you can. Double fluids. Hide.

• Advertisement

Day off. Sleep as much and you can. Double fluids. Hide.

Took a day off today, will try and get sleep tonight. Double fluids- this means beer as well as wine?, check. Worst case scenario I'll hide for one of the bike laps.

If I'm sick or not sick, I'll give it what I got at the weekend. What will be will be. I'm happy with this year Tri-wise, its a hobby and I'm not threatening medals. Dublin Tri, hopefully recovered for the Hook or by Crook sprint, GlendaLough swim will be an experience, try and get some long runs in for a 3:30 Dub marathon run for fun. Don't want to sound too mopey, its all good. Next year I'll aim for some AG placings.:)

Advertisement