Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

That's a pain Kurt. At least you are being positive about it. I'll see you in Dublin for the 3.30 run for fun, well I might be with you for the first hour, 3.30 does not sound like a fun run to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    <Vent>

A-goal this weekend, I've been in good shape leading up to it, and now I get a cold. Throat and chest hurt, feel zapped of energy, very annoying. I'll turn up for Dublin and give it what I got, but energy-wise its in the lap of the gods. I'll say a prayer to Bernardino of Siena, (patron saint of chest problems, lung problems, gambling addictions), and while I'm at it, may as well cover my ass and give it up for Saint Joseph (patron saint against doubt, against hesitation, dying people, expectant mothers, happy death, holy death, interior souls, people in doubt, people who fight Communism, pioneers, pregnant women, travellers, and fetuses). Catholics are crazy.

Garlic and vodka. Or is that for something else?
    try and get some long runs in for a 3:30 Dub marathon run for fun.

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

<Vent>

A-goal this weekend, I've been in good shape leading up to it, and now I get a cold. Throat and chest hurt, feel zapped of energy, very annoying.
    Have you any idea how normal it is for that to happen? The last few weeks before any A race are dodgy as feck, you feel like going around with a surgical mask on. Youll be fine, though. The body is an amazing tool, and can shake of lurgy amazingly well in a race situation. Dont stress!
    I'll turn up for Dublin and give it what I got, but energy-wise its in the lap of the gods. I'll say a prayer to Bernardino of Siena, (patron saint of chest problems, lung problems, gambling addictions), and while I'm at it, may as well cover my ass and give it up for Saint Joseph (patron saint against doubt, against hesitation, dying people, expectant mothers, happy death, holy death, interior souls, people in doubt, people who fight Communism, pioneers, pregnant women, travellers, and fetuses). Catholics are crazy.
    I'll send one up to Jude for ya just in case. 'The Saint for the Hopeless and the Despaired'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Have you any idea how normal it is for that to happen? The last few weeks before any A race are dodgy as feck, you feel like going around with a surgical mask on. Youll be fine, though. The body is an amazing tool, and can shake of lurgy amazingly well in a race situation. Dont stress!

I'll send one up to Jude for ya just in case. 'The Saint for the Hopeless and the Despaired'. :D

Yeah, it's probably normal all right. Two days to get over it. Who is the patron saint for achy joints and general crankiness?

Yeah, it's probably normal all right. Two days to get over it. Who is the patron saint for achy joints and general crankiness?
    Achy joints is this guy.

For General Crankiness I find a novena to St Cadbury usually helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

General Crankiness... thats you isn't it?

Get out and lay some paving stones that'll sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hope you're feeling better for Sunday. See you up there. Good luck

I hope you've rid yourself of your plague. Knock it out of the park tomorrow!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not a bad performance for an old man today. :)

Dublin City Oly 2:33:36

Had a bit of a 'mare today, I was in two minds as to whether to do this one, but now that its done I'm glad I did.

Swim 26:27
    Started in the first wave, the Liffey was calm, but with a large bunch of eager swimmers, and a limited width of the river, it was always going to be a scrum. I headed out hard (or so I thought), and endured a boxing match for the first half, kicks, punches, headbutts; you'd be locked up for doing less on O'Connell Street on Saturday night. One lad in particular got on my wick, he was drafting very tight to my hip and was a metronome of punches to my kidneys. Tried to shake him and moved a little wide, got a hard kick in the gob for my troubles. This argy bargy lasted all the way to the turnaround point, but it was clearer water from there on. I jumped from halfway, and was towing someone on my feet (suspect it was the Punch-em-up Kid), with a gap to the next group. I tried closing them down, but don't think I made much headway, so most of this part was swam into bubble-free water. The inflatable boom that divided the up and down parts seemed to be moving a fair bit, you'd crash into it in places, and other times look and it would be far away. Certainly you couldn't really sight from it. Didn't have the energy for this swim today, thats a fairly poor time.

Bike 1:16:25
    Out on the bike, over the cobblestones, up the first hill, and my back wheel locks up. Feck. No idea what it was, I tried brakes, it still was turning slow. I thought it might be some elastic wrapped around, so I had to take the wheel off and reset it. Adjusted the brakes and this time it turned. Probably cost me 2 or 3 minutes, what can you do. I was talking later to a guy who punctured, its worse if that happens. Off I go again, I quite liked the course, and the first couple of times around didn't see too much congestion. The downhills were amazing, we're not used to such good surfaces where I come from. I enjoyed the bike part.

Run 47:49
    Nightmare run. As soon as I racked the bike I felt a spasm in my lower back. Ran a bit, had to stop and stretch a few times over the first km. I ran in pain until km 4 or 5, by which time it had diminished a bit, and just plodded along as best I could for the rest of the race. Managed to hold off someone in the sprint finish, that phyrric victory is about the only good to come out of this race personally.

In summary I was well below par today, probably from having no energy the past few days. My club mate was saying the same thing after, she also had done nothing but feel lethargic the past few days- although she came second lady in the Super Sprint so maybe there's something to be said for shorter distances! Well done to Piranha, this was the best organized race I've ever been at. Got a great massage at the finish, and that helped my back a lot, thank you kind magic-finger lady. Free ice-cream whoo-hoo:) And its easier to disappear from the family all day when you can bring back a goody bag as stocked as that one for them to divide and devour. Good to meet so many people from here out there today. Time now to lick my wounds and hope for a better showing at Hook or by Crook.

• Advertisement

Not a bad performance for an old man today. :)

Good to see you today, but I'm not yet so senile as to require that compliment- it was a pretty crappy showing, but onwards and upwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you today, but I'm not yet so senile as to require that compliment- it was a pretty crappy showing, but onwards and upwards.

Notice how I didn't say ''wow old man that was a great performance'' ;) knew it hadn't gone great for you when I saw your times.

I was actually almost worried about you when you hadn't appeared out of the water earlier. :D Was very surprised to see you take so 'long' to do the swim.

Your run time stood out for me when I checked your time, the back spasm explains it. I think that seems like a horribly tough course though. Not one I'd do in a hurry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I was going to say you weren't going hard enough if you could spot me at the top of the kyber, but I'd feel bad now after reading your report.

BTH wrote: »
    I was going to say you weren't going hard enough if you could spot me at the top of the kyber

Good to see you out supporting, but difficult to spot at the top of the kyber? In the spectrum of all hues Ochre, Sienna, Vermillion, Cadmium, Quinacridone; your own particular version of orange can be spotted from space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Good to see you out supporting, but difficult to spot at the top of the kyber? In the spectrum of all hues Ochre, Sienna, Vermillion, Cadmium, Quinacridone; your own particular version of orange can be spotted from space ;)

You referring to the jersey or the hair??

You referring to the jersey or the hair??

We'd need to do a colour swatch test to see which is more vibrant. I'll have to source a welding mask first though...
    Bittersweet for you to be watching this race instead of competing, I'd say you're fairly handy on a bendy lap bike course like that.

I was going to say you weren't going hard enough if you could spot me at the top of the kyber, but I'd feel bad now after reading your report.

Maybe that's where I went wrong so........

Nice meeting you yesterday Kurt

pgibbo wrote: »
    Maybe that's where I went wrong so........

Nice meeting you yesterday Kurt

Good to meet you too pgibbo. Sorry for blanking you when you introduced by non-Boards-therefore-real name. You're right though, its a sorry state of affairs when silly usernames are an introduction. This one time, bollock naked in a pool changing room, this lad came up to me and said "Hi, I'm interested..."

Mon 20 mins tether, 90 mins easy turbo

Back to the drawing board, Part XIV. The task at hand is to get the back in shape for Saturdays last hurrah. I tethered my ankles today (can't believe I never thought of this before now), and swam with an exaggerated slow stroke. I definitely felt more flexibility in the lower back stepping out.

This evening was an easy double catch-up screening of "Breaking Bad", while flushing the legs on the turbo. They don't feel too bad today, I'll take that as proof of the power of massage rather than a testament to my lack of speed yesterday.

Bollock naked in changing rooms.
    Being interested.
    Tethered feet.

You're frying my little brain here.

• Advertisement

Just so I get the correct visual in my head, which one of you was bollock naked? You, or interested? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"Hi, I'm interested..."

.... you clearly find it freezing in here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

interested wrote: »
    .... you clearly find it freezing in here

So there are some advantages to having a hairy back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

griffin100 wrote: »
    So there are some advantages to having a hairy back :)

lots
    additionally, seasonally I tend to shed ... sadly for Paul ... well ... lets just leave it there. We're all friends here and it's ok. He's happy.

how did I arrive back down here in the gutter ? its like I never left.

"Freezing"? I'm just as god made me...

Now. This is a serious triathlete's training log. Normal bawdiness will resume for your entertainment in the off-season.

Tue 30 mins tether
    Back continues to improve, a non-wetsuit swim in my pool for half and hour, which ironically enough was pretty cold.
    The NS scores are out for Dublin Tri, and I got my lowest score yet, 95.6. That's to be expected, but I'd have aimed for 100+, so I'm sort of considering entering Blacksod to get a better score. Don't fancy the drive though!

Wowser, Blacksod is a long drive from Galway, never mind you're neck of the woods!!! :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Wowser, Blacksod is a long drive from Galway, never mind you're neck of the woods!!! :eek:

Yeah actually its probably too far... over 5 hrs according to Google maps. That'd be a long day out. Hook or by Crook will be my last race this year so, then I'll jump on training for joining the Dory 3:30 DM express. The tri season goes so fast!

:D I was actually wondering about your marathon training - when it would begin and in what fashion. I believe last year was a bit of an experiment with your creatively condensed plan....any hint of what might be in store for the next 8+ weeks?? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :D I was actually wondering about your marathon training - when it would begin and in what fashion. I believe last year was a bit of an experiment with your creatively condensed plan....any hint of what might be in store for the next 8+ weeks?? :)

I'll try and get two 18milers* and a 20 miler, everything else will just be 5-8mile steady runs. Goal pace is 8min/mile. Endurance is the only thing to work on, there's no point in bringing in specific speedwork or tempo's at this stage. If I can do 18 miles at 8min/mile then I'll be fine on the day.

*Dory language. Ah-LOOM-ih-num.

• Advertisement

Abyooos.*

*lernt dat from yer man meno, the tree-tirty pacer. ;)

Advertisement