Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why bother? Because you don't get faster swimming with slower people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You don't get faster swimming 1km straight stopping at the wall every 3 lengths to let someone past you either. Whatevah. Minor irritant in the grand scheme of things.

Thurs 1:40 turbo easy

This was practically useless spinning- I broke a sweat but only barely. The main purpose was to get the blood pumping a bit more so it will flow around my overheating brain. Screw body fitness for these couple of weeks, the old gray matter is more important. Braaaaiiiinssss.......

Sat Nada
    Got in my gear, drove up to the meet point, expecting to do an LSR with the club... no-one turned up, so I canned the run. Figured 3 hours study would be more beneficial then 3 hours running; needs must.

Sun 1,000m swim
    Very enjoyable "training" day with my kids. The pool was jammers, but the one lane happened to be free, so I took the kids into it for a few lengths. Got a few glares from adults who then came looking to do lengths, so I figured I'd take the kids out. However, when I saw my kids were going faster than the adults I decided that speed wins, and they stayed in the lane. They earned that right:)

Its very important that work is followed by play, so the kids departed for "touch the pool floor" and "how many twirls can you do?", and I got a chance to do a 400m TT, first in ages. First 100m was about 1:35, but I slowed after that, 6:48 all in, without killing myself. It's a soft foundation, but gives me a mark to improve on.

Mon 1:40 turbo
    Recent turbos have been giving me back pain, and I figured its because my turbo (road) bike is still set up in faux-TT position, even though I sold the TT clip-ons. So I adjusted for this spin: no back pain.

Tue 9.45k run 4:40 min/km
    Felt good on this steady run, until my left achilles started paining after 3k or so. I ran through it, but it felt like it was getting worse towards the end so I slightly truncated my intended 10k. Don't know what caused it, I was wearing new compression socks. Might have been the new bike position too. Anyway, I'm limping a bit now, but not too worried, it should clear up soon.

Catchup

Well the limp lasted a few days and gave way to a dull pain. I didn't run on it for 9 days, during which I did a bit of turbo and pool stuff (and a massive amount of more-important study, which fingers crossed has paid dividends in my exam). Yesterday I attempted a run, to see how the achilles would fare- it started to hurt after a km in. I kept going, doing about 13k at slow pace, but today the heel hurts like a fecker, and I can hardly walk on it. Any hope of running behind Dory's lycra-clad ass, or Oryx's lycra-clad ass, has long gone, as has the faint hope I held for running behind Izoard's running behind. Anything slower than 4:20 and the ass's get wider, wobblier, and less attractive, and I don't run marathon's for that sort of view.

C'est la vie, its hardly the end of the world. I took myself to the pool today to stretch the heel a bit, maybe 1km done, as I was "training" the kids. They're coming on well, Junior brought his 25m down to 26 secs today, so he's thrilled about that. I got in a 25 sprint myself that felt brilliant, streamlined and floating on the water, thought it was 16 secs but it may have been 21, my capability for mathematics is worn down right at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a pity KG, though I have a feeling you wouldn't have been looking at Izoards rear too much ( I just discovered last week who Keamore Hill is ;)).

Anyway the good news is you can now indulge in even more fleurie on Sunday night :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our lycra-clad asses shall miss you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Our lycra-clad asses shall miss you :(

^^^^ What she said. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Catchup

Well the limp lasted a few days and gave way to a dull pain. I didn't run on it for 9 days, during which I did a bit of turbo and pool stuff (and a massive amount of more-important study, which fingers crossed has paid dividends in my exam). Yesterday I attempted a run, to see how the achilles would fare- it started to hurt after a km in. I kept going, doing about 13k at slow pace, but today the heel hurts like a fecker, and I can hardly walk on it. Any hope of running behind Dory's lycra-clad ass, or Oryx's lycra-clad ass, has long gone, as has the faint hope I held for running behind Izoard's running behind. Anything slower than 4:20 and the ass's get wider, wobblier, and less attractive, and I don't run marathon's for that sort of view.

C'est la vie, its hardly the end of the world. I took myself to the pool today to stretch the heel a bit, maybe 1km done, as I was "training" the kids. They're coming on well, Junior brought his 25m down to 26 secs today, so he's thrilled about that. I got in a 25 sprint myself that felt brilliant, streamlined and floating on the water, thought it was 16 secs but it may have been 21, my capability for mathematics is worn down right at the moment.

Pity - as headmasters go, you are not the worst.

However, I won't take your position as gospel, until at least 1 mile into the race.
    We all know your sense of theatre with the late entrance...:)

Mon 19k run at zzzzzzzz/kph pace

I just deleted my post here an my impressions of running with the 5:00 pace band at the DM yesterday, probably for the best. Lets just leave it as saying I ran the first 19k and pulled out, not wanting to risk injury to the achilles. It was very hard to jog that slow, not something I'd ever choose to do again.

Great to meet so many from here in McGrattans yesterday, had a great time there talking nonsense. My head hurts today so I took it for a blast of fresh air and was on top of the Sugarloaf at 9am this morning. That blew away some cobwebs! Had been talking to Bambatta about hill running in the pub, and there are some great routes I spied from up high today. I really must try and get the body fit again for hill running. Right after I fix my sore head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yeah I thought you were mad doing the 5 hour pacing gig. That's by far the hardest group to pace. I'd question why anyone would need 5 hour pacing in the first place.

Best of luck getting back into hill running. In the same boat myself after a summer off, so hoping to do lots of long hill runs over the winter.

Advertisement