Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

France/hols

The family were in France for a couple of weeks caravanning, where the missus got to relax, the kids got to play and swim, and I got to pop decent corks from lunchtime. I must be getting old though, only woke up with one hangover, the rest of the time any imbibing was moderate and for pleasure.

I managed zero runs, but had a few good bikes and some decent swims. Highlights were:

Bike
    St-Jean-De-Monts to Ile Noirmoutier, about a 90 min bike, average speed about 28kph. Great, smooth roads, respectful drivers.

Saumur to Gennes loop, 40k circa 30kph speed. Saumur is my favourite place in France, there's so much to see and do, the landscape is straight out of a Corot painting, its a truly majestic area. This bike route follwed the Loire river, past the limestone cliffs where the wine merchants store their bottles in hundreds of miles of carved out tunnels. I had the wind in my face going out, and was slowed in the first few km of the town, but soon was motoring, along a pancake flat route. 30kph is a bit of a holy grail speed for me, I'd not yet hit 30k in the hour, so was determined to spin the big wheel on the return. It was hurting, but I was hitting a steady 35kph, to bring the overall average numbers way down. Happy with how this spin went.

Normandy beaches to Cherbourg. Car trouble on our last couple of days (a simple burnt fuse left us stranded and needing a tow) meant I had to bike 45k to Cherbourg to pick up the car from the Skoda garage. I planned my route to follow lonely backroads, and indeed its such a pleasure to bike through France. Had a sharp wind in my face the whole way, and its mildly hilly, so the average speed was only about 26kph. I love biking in France, would consider traveling on the ferry with just bike, tent, and corkscrew, some day.

Swims
    The sea was very rough and windy on the West coast, so any swimming was just for fun with the kids. Ditto the pool at the campsite was too packed for lengths.
    In Saumur, our campsite was right by the Loire, on a river island, so I formulated great plans to swim the 5k or so around. Alas, the many "Bagnaide Interdee" signs, and internet stories of Loire whirlpools and quicksand, meant i couldn't risk it. Pity. There's a swimming lake instead, so I went to that and did a good few k of boring laps, all the while beside the wide taunting Loire.
    I had a good sea swim in Normandy, was chopping away nicely against the tide for 2 or 3 k, before instinct told me I had gone far enough. Just as well, I got out (was parallel shore swimming), explored some German Bunkers from the war, and by the time I got back, saw to tide had retreaded to unveil thousands of jagged steaks sticking up from just after where I got out. D-Day forifications, or mussle farms; I don't know, but I'm thankful my underbelly didn't swim over them.

Back to normality now. Did I mention how much I like France?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Welcome back!! Started to wonder if you had joined that little bike tour they've got going on over there right now.....le tour du something or other I believe it's called. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Welcome back!! Started to wonder if you had joined that little bike tour they've got going on over there right now.....le tour du something or other I believe it's called. ;)

Just missed it on the West coast by a couple of days I believe... pity, I would have liked to see it! I saw some pictures of the lead riders, I'd say I weigh more than their combined team:D

(PS Sorry I missed your merry green isle visit- hope you had a great time!)

Thurs 10k steady run

No running for over two weeks, and yet still mild knee pain when I'm walking in my Mizuno running shoes... Hmmm. Any connection? Don't know, but I think I'll jump on the minimal heel bandwagon and se what gives.

Tonight I wore my speedcross hill shoes (lower heel), for a flat 10k trail run. Magic, no real pain, and I was gliding along as one does after a while off the horse. I missed the Bray aquathlon last night, next up is the Bunclody Tri in early August, which gives me a fortnight to get into shape. Plenty of time.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Just missed it on the West coast by a couple of days I believe... pity, I would have liked to see it! I saw some pictures of the lead riders, I'd say I weigh more than their combined team:D

(PS Sorry I missed your merry green isle visit- hope you had a great time!)

A descenders dream!!! Yesterday they were approaching speeds of near 70 mph....think of what you could with that weight! ;)

I did have a great time, hightlights included hiking Great Sugar Loaf with Marthastew and company, swimming in the Irish Sea with Interested, and relieving myself in Devils Glen Forest in your honor. Nature called, what can I say. Lovely art there too!! :D

• Advertisement

A descenders dream!!! Yesterday they were approaching speeds of near 70 mph....think of what you could with that weight! ;)

I did have a great time, hightlights included hiking Great Sugar Loaf with Marthastew and company, swimming in the Irish Sea with Interested, and relieving myself in Devils Glen Forest in your honor. Nature called, what can I say. Lovely art there too!! :D

Haha!:D I'm suitably honoured! When visiting Ireland from the States, everyone should partake in the Great Irish pastime of outdoor urination, its one of the joys of living here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Haha!:D I'm suitably honoured! When visiting Ireland from the States, everyone should partake in the Great Irish pastime of outdoor urination, its one of the joys of living here!

Well she was only here for a wee visit!

Fri 63k bike, 2:17, 27kph average.

PN came around, and we decided on a loop Aughrim-Arklow-Gorey-Tinahely. The first half was nice and flat, on halfway decent roads, and with hard tires we were averaging 30kph without much effort, for the first hour. With the company comes critique, and I'm learning what I do good and bad on the bike. For instance, I never drop down onto the handlebars, but tried it today. Spinning along at 32kph, drop down, no increase in effort, whoosh! suddenly I'm getting 37kph, for no extra effort. We were trying a few different things on the hills too, where PN would slaughter me going up, I'd have the advantage going down (top speed 54kph:)).

Second half of the spin was a bit slower, as it got hillier and worse roads. Biking is great for the company, didn't notice the time pass, or the effort, at all.

Sat 20k bike easy, 8k hill run easy

I biked over to Ballinglen near Tinahely, to cheer on Enduro, who is (as I type) closing in on what hopefully will be a new record for running the Wicklow Way. Must have got a puncture on the way, felt all the bad roads, dammit. Dumped the bike, ran up the second part of WWR leg 7, up and over the hill, and down to the valley. After a bit, he came by, and I ran alongside. He was running relatively quickly for someone who had 9 hours of hills ahead of them, but as he explained, the aim was to bank time now, and suffer the final stages. Good conversation for a few km, I said good luck, and went back to get the bike. Flat tyre, tried pumping, no good. Changed the tube using tyre spanners, but I must have nicked the new tube, that didn't work. Crap, had to phone the missus. Back home, I read up on how to change a tube, I wasn't stretching the tyre back on, lesson learned.

Sun 45k bike, 26kph av

When you live in the countryside, you soon realise that an appointment or meeting at 8 o'clock, means you turn up at 8:10, and wait for everyone else until 8:20. Not so with Slogger Jogger and PN, when I arrived at Tinahely Clocktower at 8:10, they were far in the distance biking up Barton's Lane. I flew after them, and in turn was flown after by Stephen from The Tri Club, who was going on to a 100k sportif in Ferns. We all bunched up, and had a decent spin and chat for 10k or so. On then to Clonegal, where SJ was to pick up his car. He was going well on a hybrid bike, with no clip-ins, but a few km beore his goal, got a puncture. He told me to go on, I biked to Clonegal, and soon after PN came by too.
    -Should we wait for him?
    -It would be the polite thing to do.
    -Did he wait for you?
    -Byebye Clonegal:D

(So by my reckoning SJ and I didn't wait one time each, but PN didn't wait two times, making him twice as impatient. That would go some way to explaining his general crankiness)

We took a different route coming back, with a lot more hills. PN destroys me on hills, and each one we treated as a hill repeat effort. Lots of burning legs, lots of hurt, lots of benefit. In between this pain, some chat on the flat, one crash when I stop and forget I'm clipped in, and some real fun on the downhills (almost hit 60kph on one). Great part of the world for a Sunday spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The clocks must be slow in your house. It was nearer 8.15 when we left the courthouse ;)

Cycling is great.. until you get a puncture and it gets a bit disillusioning. Got the puncture fixed when I got home but must stock up on spare tubes for another day. Could you swing by some evening and give advice on switching over to clip-on pedals? I have the tools but the voice of experience would be good to have.

Manual consulted and clip-on pedals put on without much fuss. When I tried this before on the mountain bike the pedals just wouldn't budge. This time it was fine (on the cyclocross). Couldn't wait to try it and see the difference. Did a 30 min spin in the strong wind. Really noticed the difference on the climbs. I'm hooked.

Manual consulted and clip-on pedals put on without much fuss. When I tried this before on the mountain bike the pedals just wouldn't budge. This time it was fine (on the cyclocross). Couldn't wait to try it and see the difference. Did a 30 min spin in the strong wind. Really noticed the difference on the climbs. I'm hooked.

Good man, there's a huge difference all right, especially going up the hills. You were moving at a decent clip earlier, for someone not on a road bike, so I'd say the bike will suit you. Now you need some aero bars and a helmet that matches your paintwork:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hows your swimming?

Manual consulted and clip-on pedals put on without much fuss. When I tried this before on the mountain bike the pedals just wouldn't budge. This time it was fine (on the cyclocross). Couldn't wait to try it and see the difference. Did a 30 min spin in the strong wind. Really noticed the difference on the climbs. I'm clipped.

fyp :p

Swimming is laughably poor. Had lessons before and I was no better after them. Some people are just better suited to dry land:) Others to water, hey Kurt?

Good man, there's a huge difference all right, especially going up the hills. You were moving at a decent clip earlier, for someone not on a road bike, so I'd say the bike will suit you. Now you need some aero bars and a helmet that matches your paintwork:)

How much time do you think is saved by clipping in? My brother estimates 20%....what say either of you lads? I'm trying to figure my improvement potential since I don't clip in.

How much time do you think is saved by clipping in? My brother estimates 20%....what say either of you lads? I'm trying to figure my improvement potential since I don't clip in.

I've been told 5-10% by some of the better bikers on this forum- in my novice (greater learning curve) experience, certainly up to 20%, and definitely so pulling up the hills. Clips also work different muscle groups, so you can take extra effort when needed.

FWIW I also have aero bars coming in the post. I was coasting at 32kph the other day, dropped to an aero position, and immediately was doing 37kph, for no extra effort. Seems there are certain "free" gains to be had on the bike (free once you flash the cash;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I've been told 5-10% by some of the better bikers on this forum- in my novice (greater learning curve) experience, certainly up to 20%, and definitely so pulling up the hills. Clips also work different muscle groups, so you can take extra effort when needed.

FWIW I also have aero bars coming in the post. I was coasting at 32kph the other day, dropped to an aero position, and immediately was doing 37kph, for no extra effort. Seems there are certain "free" gains to be had on the bike (free once you flash the cash;))

On first reading that I thought you were referring to chocolate:p if only that made us faster, a lot cheaper than the aero bars you're talking about

Dory, I was initially petrified by the idea of clips on the bike but I soon got used to them (after only a few embarassing displays at traffic lights)

Mon 2k OW swim

Clogga Beach near Arklow has been recommended as a great venue to swim, and it was deserted when I went down this morning. There is a horsehoe to swim across, but I was a little wary, being on my lonesome, and unsure of any rocks etc. Added to this, there was a very strange swell across the bay, which seemed to be pulling me out (buoyant wetsuits tend to mean a greater drift).

So I decided to truncate the swim, head for shore, and swim a bit closer to the shore. In the it was just a 2k swim, but without a shadow of doubt I will be back to this spot for some longer work, as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Did a little experiment this evening and put the clip-in pedals onto the mountain bike and hit the trails. Wow. Huge difference. Might have to invest in a 2nd set so I can keep both bikes similarly pedalled. Biked a trail off the beaten trail near Ballycoog. The bike up wasn't too bad with the clip ins. The bike down was a real blast.

Did a little experiment this evening and put the clip-in pedals onto the mountain bike and hit the trails. Wow. Huge difference. Might have to invest in a 2nd set so I can keep both bikes similarly pedalled. Biked a trail off the beaten trail near Ballycoog. The bike up wasn't too bad with the clip ins. The bike down was a real blast.

What sort of cleats do you have? SPD's (2 hole) or Look (3 hole)? Do a little google search before buying a second set of pedals, the 3 hole are better for road biking (and you can change over the cleats on your shoe if you want). But, yeah, there's a huge energy transference with clip-in's, sounds like you had a blast!

What sort of cleats do you have? SPD's (2 hole) or Look (3 hole)? Do a little google search before buying a second set of pedals, the 3 hole are better for road biking (and you can change over the cleats on your shoe if you want). But, yeah, there's a huge energy transference with clip-in's, sounds like you had a blast!

Shimano spds. Got them with the mtb originally, so the shoes almost look like normal runners. Easier to walk with.. not that you would :)

Came across this old windmill thingy, presumably used for drawing water up on the hill.
    7632770088_76382e6cc3_z.jpg

Tue 3k pool swim

It's been a while since I've done any pool work, and it showed. The wetsuit really does give a false sense of ability, it makes for much easier swimming. I did 1000m at a tough enough effort, only got around 17 or 18mins. Then 5x25m with return easy between each one. They were tough enough, and I was trying to work in a greater kick. 5x50m next, with easy length return between each. These were hard, I really noticed the lungs for each final 20m. Next another 5x25m, this time trying to keep good form. Success, I was gaining length as the stroke and kick synced a bit better.
    1000m easy for a cool down. Need to get to the pool a couple of times a week, OW is well and good, but form can suffer.

Tue pm 8k steady run

Met up with some of the Tri guys for a decent run through the Railway Walk and Tomnafinnogue. Loads out tonight, so it was dodgeball at times, and the "all you can eat" flies on the menu, in a soupy hot mist. Despite all that it was an enjoyable run- pain free knees for the first time in ages. Solomon Speedcross again for footwear, instead of my usual Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's- could I have found the source of the knee pain?

Art O'Neill 2013. Yay or nay?

Art O'Neill 2013. Yay or nay?

Nay for me. It seems like too much of a walkers event, one of those faux-achievement "I did it!" sort of gigs. That's for some people, but not for me. Best of luck to all doing it, but I'd prefer to run the mountains for free. Zero interest in the first road section.

Having said all that, I did a lot of recce's for it last year, before selling my entry. Some great sections over the hills, and some crazy weather. You thinking of running it?

Only doing it if I can run it. No interest in they hybrid. Probably not for me in 2013 but still on the radar.

Thurs 37km bike 1:20

My aerobars arrived today (last Tri purchase for this year, I swear!), and in putting them on I crimped a gear cable on the underside, so I've a bit of work ahead to fix that. Gears a bit tight now. The bars make a huge difference, my "easy riding" speed on the flat is now 32-35kph.

Tonights spin, whipping PN on the downhills, being whipped by him on the climbs, and chatting in between; was Tinahely-Knockanannagh-Hacketstown-Tinahely-home. Great evening for it, the first decent weather in ages. Legs were a bit tired, but this spin stretched out the tight calfs.

• Advertisement

Thurs 37km bike 1:20

My aerobars arrived today (last Tri purchase for this year, I swear!), and in putting them on I crimped a gear cable on the underside, so I've a bit of work ahead to fix that. Gears a bit tight now. The bars make a huge difference, my "easy riding" speed on the flat is now 32-35kph.

Tonights spin, whipping PN on the downhills, being whipped by him on the climbs, and chatting in between; was Tinahely-Knockanannagh-Hacketstown-Tinahely-home. Great evening for it, the first decent weather in ages. Legs were a bit tired, but this spin stretched out the tight calfs.

How's your aero position?

Advertisement