Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You're an artist? Well theres somethin I didn't know. Funnily enough I dropped out of art college. Oh, to change that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wed 9k hill run

Met with a couple of the club lads who are doing GF in 10 days time. Mangan's Loop, first time I've run this in quite a while. It was very hot and close this evening, and sweat was dripping off before long. Over the gate, hit the hill, and start the hard work. I got to the fence and had to walk a bit, but the two lads powered on up ahead. Looking good for Crough Patrick! I picked it up again to the top after I caught my breath, and jogged back down. Good to be hill running again, but as ever I have to watch the knee.

Oryx wrote: »
    You're an artist? Well theres somethin I didn't know. Funnily enough I dropped out of art college. Oh, to change that! :)
    Used to be an artist, had a a decent career painting murals in the States, but there's not really much of a market over here. Studying maths and statistics now, as it will hopefully pay better and finance painting at the weekends. Haven't picked up a brush in a couple of years, I'm sorry to say, but will start back drawing, thats a promise. You should too, Art is one discipline where you get better with age.

Thurs 21k bike

Nothing too hectic, just a leg-loosener spin to check out my serviced bike (Revolve in Gorey did a very good job), and to dry run my new club Tri-suit. Very tight-fitting, bordering on indecent.:o

Fethard-on-Sea Sprint Tri in a couple of days, 750 swim from Baginbun, 20k cycle around dodgy road (tight and gritty, I believe), and a 5k run around an area I know well from my childhood holliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Peter in Relolve in Gorey is a really nice guy and brilliant bike mechanic. I'd reccomend the shop without hesitation.

What club did you join Kurt, Tinahealy?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Peter in Relolve in Gorey is a really nice guy and brilliant bike mechanic. I'd reccomend the shop without hesitation.

Yeah, they're one of only a handful Shimano certified mechanics in the country. He did a fair amount of work on my gears (Ultegra, loose connection found and sorted), adjusted the headset, checked everywhere, and fixed a rear wheel buckle, all for €20 plus parts. Gear changes like a dream now, no rattles on the bike, perfect man/machine hybrid on today's test run. Good shop alright.

Joined Tinahely, good bunch of lads. I'd whip any of them in the water, but most of them would serve my ass on the bike, and there's plenty who leave me gasping in the running. New-ish club, growing well, hope to improve interclub training structure for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck in the tri (is it the tri-the-hook event tomorrow?).
    Looking forward to the report. Remember, the run is always short, so might as well go out hard from the start. :)

Best of luck in the tri (is it the tri-the-hook event tomorrow?).
    Looking forward to the report. Remember, the run is always short, so might as well go out hard from the start. :)

Cheers Krusty, yeah, Tri-the-Hook is the one. Taking the family and caravan down for the weekend, weather looks good, packing everything in. There's so much more preparation than for a running race. Bike, bike shoes, run shoes with lock-laces, number belt, trisuit, wetsuit, talc, rubber bands, sunglasses...

Now, where are my goggles?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cheers Krusty, yeah, Tri-the-Hook is the one. Taking the family and caravan down for the weekend, weather looks good, packing everything in. There's so much more preparation than for a running race. Bike, bike shoes, run shoes with lock-laces, number belt, trisuit, wetsuit, talc, rubber bands, sunglasses...

Now, where are my goggles?:)

Unless you're sporting a pony tail these days, I'm not sure what the rubber bands are for. ??? (of course, I am new to this tri thing....)

Best to you at the weekend. Have fun with it and BE AGGRESSIVE on the swim!!!! Get a good start and get out ahead of everyone if you can. Be the first to come out of the water to the cheers, whistles and swooning of all the ladies!! ;):D

griffin100 wrote: »

I go to Peter too in preference to my lbs. A really nice guy to deal with.

Good luck in the race. Hope the sun stays smiling.

FFS. There were waves on the water, so swim gets trucated from 750m to 500m. A few minutes before the start, the TI guy makes a call, its now down to under 250m swim. Have to respect the marshall, but there's no need to be wrapping everyone in cotton wool. Small waves (no breakers), a bit of a breeze, sunny day, cove beach, RNLI and kayaks everywhere.

• Advertisement

(Before I start, this is not having a go at TI or marshalls or whoever- I understand they have to make safety calls, and whether I agree with them or not, I'll always abide by what they say.)

I was looking forward to Tri the Hook sprint today, especially the 750m sea swim. Took the family down in the caravan, forgot that a certain class of Dubs also like this area, so any sleep was truncated by the obese loudmouths in the pitch next door (in "Traps Army" and "Liverpool" jerseys), on the gargle, and talking ****e for half the night. Anyway, morning comes, packed and ready. Bit of a breeze last night, so when I get down there and see the waves, I'm rubbing my hands, here's a bit of swimming that will sort the men from the boys. Small waves (no breakers), a bit of a breeze, sunny day, warm water, cove beach, RNLI and kayaks everywhere. Then I notice the two bouys look a little close, and during briefing, we are told the swim has been chopped to 500m, on account of conditions. Also told that safety is the most important element (why didn't we all just stay in bed?). I'm not being foolish here, there was a swell and it was a difficult swim, but surely that's what a sea swim is all about?

Waiting down at the beach, two waves (I'm in second with chicks and auld fella's), told the TI marshall has made a call, the swim will now only be less than 250m. Cue huge relief from the "have-a-go" bunnies, much joking and laughing, can we just scrap the swim altogether? I'm very annoyed by this, I hate when back-of-the-pack ability dictates what everyone else does. The swim was well within capability of anyone prepared, surely a better option was to have those fearful of the swim to elect to run a Duathlon on the day? If its safe to put hundreds in the water to swim 250m, its surely safe to put most in to swim the whole thing? Ok, rant over, I don't know how I did time or place wise, so I'll just give a general report, as last week.

Swim
    We would now be swimming diagonally from shore to a bouy, and back. Into the water, marshall marks an arbitrary line straight out perpendicular from shore, and says go. It's a difficult swim alright, taking gobfuls of water and being thrown a bit by the swell. Sighting is difficult, I had taken a general bearing off the peninsula, although this seemed to be taking me a little wider than the general pack. Hard going at times, you knew you were working. Turn at the bouy, swim to shore alongside a group. Don't know what position I exited, between 4th and 8th according to conflicting eyewitness kids accounts. Certainly it was as good as I had, so beaten out fair and square, although my strengths are in the longer stuff. Would have fecking loved a 750m in those conditions today!

T1
    A big steep run up from Baginbun beach to trans, get the suit off, no messing around, helmet on, race belt, run to Mount. Got my feet in pretty quick, thanks to using elastic bands to hold the correct position (means the shoes don't hit the ground when running with bike, and are steady when yo hop on, Dory;))

Bike
    Thought the surface was better than I had expected (maybe I'm just getting used to crap surfaces). Since the first swim wave was 10 minutes before ours, there was constantly targets to pass. A couple of TT bikes whizzed by me in the early stages, but I kept turning at a nice cadence, and was taking loads. One lad from my wave passed by, went outside of draft zone, and seemed to slow. I took him on a downhill, he got me back on an uphill. This ding-dong battle went out throughout the 21k loop, and caused us both to up our game. One would get a good bit further ahead, so far there was no drafting benefit, and the other would attack. If my swim was to be ruined, I put my foot down over the last couple of k to make sure I won this phyrric battle, coming into trans just ahead.

T2
    No issues, fast enough, although I again took the shoes off the bike, rather than the feet out, at Dismount, and slowed a bit running through a muddy field to my rack.

Run
    My bike friend exited trans with me, and took off. I was suffering from jelly legs a bit, so the first km was slow (superb cliff run over Carnivan Bay). From there I plodded on the undulating backroads, passing a stream of runners. One strong guy passed me with 2k to go, more training is required if I'm to be able to fight on runs again soon. Knee didn't hurt too bad, into the well-supported finish at Fethard-on-Sea.

Overall
    Well run Tri, lots of marshalls, all turns and junctions were doubtless, water and pasta at the finish. No booming music either:). Crowds and locals were many and supportive. The swim I'm annoyed about, for reasons stated above. Wouldn't do this again, and am very wary of doing any sprint Tri, if water safety under conditions like today, is an issue. Lots of guys I was talking too at the end (so they weren't tail-end have-a-go's) were baffled as to why the swim was curtailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It seems to happen a lot alright with the swims shortened - their attitude is they have to cater for the worst swimmers and not the best. They are probably right but its very frustrating when it happens and it is your best split!

catweazle wrote: »
    It seems to happen a lot alright with the swims shortened - their attitude is they have to cater for the worst swimmers and not the best. They are probably right but its very frustrating when it happens and it is your best split!

I reckon thats not a good attitude- if you can't do the swim, maybe be given the option of truncating to a Duo? Anyway, I'm ranting about it, and feel so strongly catweasle that I have started a Whole New Thread on the main forum. The Main Forum, that's how important this is to me :mad:;)

I know here in the States it would come down to liability, liability, liability. Yeah, sure you sign a waiver, but it's all about CYA.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I know here in the States it would come down to liability, liability, liability. Yeah, sure you sign a waiver, but it's all about CYA.

I fecking hate insurance, and ambulance chasing lawyers. You want to swim 750m OW? You're liable, not the organizers. Want to bike tight corners on slick roads? You're liable, not the organizers. Want to run hard way past your Central Governor threshold? You're liable, not the organizers.

I can't think of a single society or civilization that progressed without Risk.

Jeez. You really are mad about this. Go do 'tough guy'. They really don't care if you die.

Jeez. You really are mad about this. Go do 'tough guy'. They really don't care if you die.

How about a "Devil take the hindmost" Tri, and proper tough. Last out of the water? Bang, you're shot dead. Bringing up the rear on the bike? Bang, clean-up in T2. Imagine the increase in standards... feck that, imagine the excitement at the finish line!

How about a "Devil take the hindmost" Tri, and proper tough. Last out of the water? Bang, you're shot dead. Bringing up the rear on the bike? Bang, clean-up in T2. Imagine the increase in standards... feck that, imagine the excitement at the finish line!
    Stephen King wrote a short story like that. A marathon where if you stop, you get shot dead. Last man standing won. There might be an increase in standards but feck all competition the second time you run it. :)

Results are out, so a bit of a post mortum on the numbers:

Swim
    6:15, 16/200
    Overall positions looks a bit high, with some relay and suspect times on the timing website, but it looks as though a good few finished under 6 mins, so there's scope for personal improvement there. That time includes the long run up off the beach, along the cliff, and into trans, which would give you an indication of just how short the swim actually was. I exited the water about 5th or 6th from my wave, (the first three getting 5:22-5:28!).

Bike
    45:25, 25/200
    Had a generally decent bike, can't complain about those numbers. Some of the TT bikes that passed me must have been relayers.

Run
    25:44 58/200
    Crap run, I didn't really try hard enough. I passed plenty of bodies, but in the main they were from the first wave, and its too easy to relax into a comfortable pace and be content in passing people.

Overall
    23/200. Probably top 20 if the relayers are taken out. It was hard to know who you were racing, and who was in the previous wave. Looking at the numbers, my heart wasn't really in it, after the shortened swim essentially made it a duathlon. To add insult to injury, I just had a look at photos from Wexford Tri clubs facebook page http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151002585901482.420013.283994131481&type=1 ; can anyone tell me those conditions look harsh? I'm done with sprint tri's, the swim section isn't really considered part of the race, more an ordeal that can be shortened to suit those who can't do it. Maybe there's less of this messing in Oly distances.

Someday before I fall apart, I hope to do the Norseman tri. You should look at it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

God I would barely want to put my wetsuit on for a 200m swim!

Well done though, you've transitioned into triathlon so well.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    God I would barely want to put my wetsuit on for a 200m swim!

Well done though, you've transitioned into triathlon so well.

Thanks solobally8, I like to think I'm better at being mediocre across three events than just one;)

Sun 7k run, easy
    I'm going to have to do something radical about my runs- radical in doing some actual training. Today's was an easy jog to take care of any race stiffness, along the Railway Walk. Eazy peasy, lemon squeezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Someday before I fall apart, I hope to do the Norseman tri. You should look at it ;)

I see our own Kevin Thornton finished it in 13.45 - 1st out of the water though as per usual. Christ it must be crazy tough for a guy at his level to cycle 7+ hours and run 5.30 :eek:

catweazle wrote: »
    I see our own Kevin Thornton finished it in 13.45 - 1st out of the water though as per usual. Christ it must be crazy tough for a guy at his level to cycle 7+ hours and run 5.30 :eek:
    And self supporting too. None of your IM catering and hand-holding.

Tuesday: 6,500m OW swim

I took full advantage of a few days in Kerry, and entered the beautiful waters off Valencia island at 7:30 in the morning. Straight swim all the way down to knightstown, then straight back. Loads to look at underwater, distance is estimated, time was 2:20. Longest swim yet, and one ingrained in memory.

I took full advantage of a few days in Kerry, and entered the beautiful waters off Valencia island at 7:30 in the morning. Straight swim all the way down to knightstown, then straight back. Loads to look at underwater, distance is estimated, time was 2:20. Longest swim yet, and one ingrained in memory.

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! You are my new hero!!!!! At some point, if you are motivated and inspired to do so, please share with us in your characteristic lyrical fashion some of what you experienced. Or at the very least, did you have any seals accompany you??

You are quite, quite mad. And I am very, very jealous of that epic swim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You should be thinking of this swim - http://valentiaislandtriathlonclub.com/beginish-island-swim/

It's on my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one well done! That's you on the swim roll of honour with Interested and hoochiedoubledee!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great result there Kurt. You seem to have found a great event

That 6500m swim is awesome as our west friends would say. When you have clear water and can see things it does make it so enjoyable

Advertisement