Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toiler's Constant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Abhainn wrote: »
    I see JB got here first;)

Great going KG. This is getting competitive now:)
    To keep you on your toes for a sub 60 -
    4.15k OW swim last night. Went through 3.8k in 67 min high.
    Water was great. More important I felt strong

Bring it on, the competition is great! A rising tide lifts all boats, and all that:D

Seriously, well done on your swim progress. You're in a great swim shape for Barca. 67min is a massive improvement, and to come out of it feeling strong...

(just means you left a couple of minutes out there;)

Wed 1000m pool swim
    I twisted something in my back a few days ago, its been in agony. Painkillers mixed with alcohol to sleep, painkillers and grouchiness when awake. This morning I felt it "pop" back, and felt instant relief. Much of my early 30's was spent visiting chiropractors, osteopaths, etc, due to lower back pain; I don't want to go back there again. Easy enough swim this afternoon, should help with recovery.

Sat 1,500 pool swim

My back is still broken, so swimming is the only thing I can manage. Took the kids to the pool, and while they played, I grabbed a free lane, to do:
    250m warm up
    5x50m hard effort
    5x100m hard
    5x50m hard
    250m warm down.

The reps were tough going, hurting throughout (no idea of times, the pool clock wasn't working). I'll have to fit in at least one of these sessions a week, can't be doing every swim long and steady.

Seemed to help with the back afterwards, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sat 1,500 pool swim

My back is still broken, so swimming is the only thing I can manage. Took the kids to the pool, and while they played, I grabbed a free lane, to do:
    250m warm up
    5x50m hard effort
    5x100m hard
    5x50m hard
    250m warm down.

The reps were tough going, hurting throughout (no idea of times, the pool clock wasn't working). I'll have to fit in at least one of these sessions a week, can't be doing every swim long and steady.

Seemed to help with the back afterwards, too.

Good man!! Shame there is no clock. Maybe Krusty would let you borrow his fancy watch that has the swim setting on it that he never uses.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good man!! Shame there is no clock. Maybe Krusty would let you borrow his fancy watch that has the swim setting on it that he never uses.

Yeah, he's offered me a loan of it, but it's more value to me on his arm, where I can slag him into joining the tri ranks;). I have a cheepo waterproof Timex that I'll bring to the pool in future.

The faster repeats are useful, for mechanics, form, and breathing. I'm gasping after each, but did one of your fancy hypoxic lengths no bother after, in warm down:D

Mon 21k bike

Nothing special, just the first spin in a while. My back felt better. The roads were slick after rain, I almost came a cropper coming off a bend from a hump-backed bridge. Stupid hump-backs.

• Advertisement

Wed 1000m swim

I woke up Mon night with searing back pain- whatever I did on the bike didn't help. I reckon the saddle is too high- I'm trying to mimic a TT position with the aero bars- probably best to limit that, and work on core tummy muscles.

Today I tried the pool for half and hour, really to just loosen it up. On the main forum its been suggested that doing 10x400m would be more useful than my 4,000m straight, so I might have to focus on shorter stuff for some sets. No fear of that today, just easy strokes for the back. Felt ok, so I tried a few 50's. First one 43, totally protecting myself. Pushed the next, still just 40. Ditto the next. No good. I pushed harder the next: 39. Started to get into it again, next was 37. I left it at that, but will start reading up about swim drills and programs. Pure distance has been very useful in bringing down my times, but I suppose I will need more discipline if I want to get under 60 mins (actually I want to get under 55 by next year).

Thurs 3,500m swim reps

This forum can be really helpful at times! Catweazle passed on some of Interested's lesson plans over on Dory's log, so I'm all set to try them out. The idea is to put some structure into my swimming over the next few months- keep the long stuff, but bring in some reps, and speed drills. Equivalent's to LSR's, repeats, and speedwork; in my runner's mind.

So the first set is (as much as I understand it):
    1 x 400m warmup
    5 x 100m off 2:00 minutes (I think this means you do them quicker than two minutes, and can rest the balance),
    5 x 100m off 2:10
    5 x 100m off 2:20
    5 x 100m off 2:30
    5 x 50m b/c (back stroke?)
    4 x 100m off 2:30
    400m warm down
    (60 second rest between each set).

(If anyone can correct my terminology it'd be appreciated!)

After the warm-up, I did the first set of 100's, all came in between 1:30 and 1:35, and I rested until 2:00 (had my timex watch on, it helped). Then,
    5x100m between 1:35-1:40 rested until 2:00 (figured I was taking too much rest)
    5x100m between 1:40-1:45 rested until 2:00
    5x100m between 1:45-1:50 rested until 2:00
    (Cramping started on last rep, I was glad to break)
    3x50m backstroke, taking about 1:20 for each rep. Not good at back, so I did the other two f/c easy.
    4x100m between 1:45-1:50 rested until 2:10
    Warm down.

So that was it, my first real structured session. Time will tell how useful these will be, but I can see how they are an aid to maintaining form. I've never really taken breaks between sets before, you start off again refreshed. I had some calf and foot cramping issues towards the end, that's to be expected at this stage. Certainly my upper body feels like its had a good workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I stand to be corrected but i would have thought you would have been 1:45-1:50 territory which allows you about 10 to 15 sec rest which is more than adequate for 100s.

I stand to be corrected but i would have thought you would have been 1:45-1:50 territory which allows you about 10 to 15 sec rest which is more than adequate for 100s.

Does that mean each rep should be between (1:45swim+0:15break) and (1:50swim+0:10break)? That was my last set, for instance.
    First set was between(1:30swim+0:30break) and (1:35swim+0:25break).

Think I'm doing them wrong. Basically, I should be resting only 10-15secs, and adjust the "set" time accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Go to personal times and input your values in seconds save and the excel sheet will map itself to your times for the sessions, I think the only accurate one in there for me recently is the 400m time

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Go to personal times and input your values in seconds save and the excel sheet will map itself to your times for the sessions, I think the only accurate one in there for me recently is the 400m time

:o Jeez I was just doing the set as it appeared. I entered a few values, it just got a lot tougher:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

:o Jeez I was just doing the set as it appeared. I entered a few values, it just got a lot tougher:eek::D

Hence my comment:) when i meant 1:45/1:50 that includes recovery so coming in around 1:30 or 1:35.

Hence my comment:) when i meant 1:45/1:50 that includes recovery so coming in around 1:30 or 1:35.

I get you now:D! I was wondering what was the benefit in doing the initial 1:30's then looking at the watch for 25 seconds! Your way makes sense. I was slowing down thinking there needed to be a full recovery or something.

I need to TT a 400m, and input that time as the base. Thanks for your help!

:)

:)

All I ever wanted was a feckin lap counter to tell me when to stop. When did it become so complicated? :)

All I ever wanted was a feckin lap counter to tell me when to stop. When did it become so complicated? :)

And apologies, I never answered your question about how I count my laps - in my head. I count my laps in my head. I can see the laps in my mind in groups of 10s and/or 20s....and 50s and 100s. (Always wanted to experience synesthesia.) No fancy counter for me....I just tick the blocks off in my mind.

Your enthusiasm and passion are wonderful. I applaud you. ;)

And apologies, I never answered your question about how I count my laps - in my head. I count my laps in my head. I can see the laps in my mind in groups of 10s and/or 20s....and 50s and 100s. (Always wanted to experience synesthesia.) No fancy counter for me....I just tick the blocks off in my mind.

You really should try synesthesia, its much better than the decimal system. "Red" means a block of ten-and-a-bit. "Sparkles" means about four or so. "Lust" is the emotion for Pi.
    So I cleaned my goggles, swam a bit, lusted after the pool girl in the sparkly red swimsuit, and voila! (10-and-a-bit)*4*Pi*(pool length)=65 mins dead for 3.8k.

This is why I need a counter;)

Such beautiful animation, so artistic!

Sat 4k OW swim

After a day spent in the company of mathematicians preparing for an upcoming exam, and then an old friend climbing the Sugarloaf, I ended with several laps in the gorgeous brine of Wicklow harbour. Texted Abhainn to see if he was interested, but his reply said he'd done 4k last night. Fine, anything Abhainn can do, Kurt can do (let's overlook the minor fact ran 35k today, and is biking 130k tomorrow...;))

Anyway, down to business. Nothing to report except a wonderful endurance swim, 4 small laps round the boats, then 2 bigger laps of the larger harbour. Nice and steady, with some form and effort pick-ups in the latter stages. I find these endurance swims a great benefit- my form is all over the place, I slow down and correct it, and (I reckon anyway) that I end up going faster. Recently I've been looking at the superb form of Yang Sun- such a use of underwater power. Also, legs can be dragged for a long time, before kicking into final action.

Great evening tonight, Abhainn and his youngster waved to me from the pier. The poor little lad, he knows nothing other than all grown up men are into endurance and pain. He was a real cutie shouting hello down to me several times!

• Advertisement

Interesting - you typed it as "Yang Sun"....and "Sun" is the family name, but I always see it as "Sun Yang". I am in awe of his power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You looked very comfortable , a natural to me (though definitely not an expert at this swimming lark) and just gliding through the water.
    Me today as just a 150k bike today + 8k run off it. Morning is a nice 21 mile run:)

Such beautiful animation, so artistic!

Synesthesia in art!

Interesting - you typed it as "Yang Sun"....and "Sun" is the family name, but I always see it as "Sun Yang". I am in awe of his power.

I never know with Chinese names, where does the family (surname) go? Twice I asked this of Chinese co-workers, both just gave an exasperated smile; one said "Just call me Pete", the other asked to be called CoCo:)

You're right in that everyone calls him Sun Yang, I just cut-and-pasted the name from this youtube vid- in any case, what a long stroke!
    Abhainn wrote: »
    You looked very comfortable , a natural to me (though definitely not an expert at this swimming lark) and just gliding through the water.
    Me today as just a 150k bike today + 8k run off it. Morning is a nice 21 mile run:)

Wow, that's even more impressive! 4k swim, 150k bike, 34k run, back-to-back days... You're a machine, you'll tear up Barcelona.

Sun 9k easy run, 46min

New shoes! New Balance MT10, "almost" barefoot trail shoes. This is the last roll of the dice for my running with dodgy knees. I've tried a lot of placebo's, but I suspect my knee/joint problems stemmed from when they changed the Brooks Adrenaline 8's to newer versions. I've never felt right since, gait analysis always had me in thick heeled support shoes (Currently Mizuno Wave Inspire 7), so I may as well join the barefoot revolution. I've always done a fair amount of (proper) barefoot running on grass, so my calves didn't complain too much when breaking these shoes in.

Tonight's run felt instantly better; ok I could feel every sharp stone, but running in these shoes just felt better, freer, and lighter. I'd gone 4km, and wanted to just keep going, but a slight calf tightening convinced me to finish the loop and head for home. Really enjoyed the run, and my joints feel good and loose right now.

PS saw SloggerJogger drive by, as I set off. Gave him a wave, hope he's back joining me on these runs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice work. Would have loved to have joined you but 9k at that pace is still too hot for me. Beautiful evening coming up through Wicklow. The hills looked magnificent. Skirted by Tinahely to pick up the pooch from the minders. Dog kennelling.. now thats a nice little business.

Mon 60k bike 26.5kph average

Went out for an easy spin with PN this morning, he was highly impressed by my wearing knee high compression socks. Wait till he see's my elbow warmers. The route was Tinahely-Shillelagh-Tullow-Ardattin-Clonegal-home, the middle section from Tullow being "discoved" yesterday as I drove home from Mt Wolseley hotel in Tullow- super surface, and great views. Everything was working out fine until we returned from Clonegal, and started to hit a few hills. The usual drill for these is for PN to sprint up them, and I try and hold his tail until I die at halfway. Today, however, I noticed muscle strain above my knees- a good strain, from muscles that haven't been worked in a while, but enough to have me in a jocker at each crest. By the time we were coming in to Shillelagh again, I was exhausted, totally bonked. No food this morning before the bike, and nothing to eat or drink with me, clever lad. The remaining 5k was an exercise in attrition, as the overall pace plummetted. I was never so happy to get home, and had plucked and eaten two apples from my tree, before I even opened the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good to see you back on the bike.

For a while there, I thought this tri stuff was a mere transition to the swimming forum.

Speaking of which, are you re-considering Brittas Bay or still doing the OW swim?

So you're still picking apples from trees. :)

And was just thinking of PN.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

never nice days when you bonk, and after reading this I remembered the same feeling heading from Tullow to carlow and eating sugar beat on the side of the road, (thats a while back :rolleyes:)

sounds like a good spin do.

Advertisement