Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Rager gets 12 years

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Another way of looking at things.

Maybe the guy with the hurley saved more innocent lives by killing the drunk driver there and then. Possibly, had the drunk driver not been in this altercation, maybe he would have killed innocent people due to his drunken driving.

A hero medal for the guy with the hurley maybe?

Too speculative. By extension of that logic, do you think a law allowing people to beat drunk drivers to death should be brought in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The sentence is way too harsh in my opinion . He should have got 12/18 months at the most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Motorist wrote: »
    Too speculative. By extension of that logic, do you think a law allowing people to beat drunk drivers to death should be brought in?

No, I don't think a law allowing people to beat drunk drivers to death should be brought in. Fcuk no.

All I am saying is that this beating to death could have been a blessing in disguise for some innocent motorist and their family who may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and had their lives fcuked up by a prick of a drunk driver.

Speculative, yes. Possible, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

initially I though he was a scumbag but when I read the media reports on the trial I don't see what he did that was wrong. he was defending child from a drunken manic who was threatening them with his jeep.

Did he even know that there was a child in the car? And why not get the guys reg and report it to the police instead of going ballistic with a hurley and beating him to death? Once the guy is on the ground he's not presenting much of a threat so why continue to cave his head in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

No, I don't think a law allowing people to beat drunk drivers to death should be brought in. Fcuk no.

All I am saying is that this beating to death could have been a blessing in disguise for some innocent motorist and their family who may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and had their lives fcuked up by a prick of a drunk driver..

The remote chance of that speculative prevention having occurred is far, far outweighed by the harsh reality that a man's life was brutally taken, another's has been ruined and two families have been devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

initially I though he was a scumbag but when I read the media reports on the trial I don't see what he did that was wrong. he was defending child from a drunken manic who was threatening them with his jeep.
    grounds for self defence (imo) esp with the kid in the car.
    Since when does having a child give you special dispensation to kill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The baby gives you primal instinct like. Ya cant be done for primal instinct. This one time I had a baby and its mother locked in the boot and some fcukin' cop rammed the car from behind so I stopped and shot him 7 times in the face.. just to protect the baby like ya know.

Having a baby in the boot is almost as useful as having a hurley in the boot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He wasn't defending his family.

I can't find the link but during the court procedings it was said that the guy that died said he'd throw the other guy's kid in the river.

I've an 8 year old, I'd have beat him to an inch of his life in pure fury. I'd be wrong to do it, but my word, I'd have taken him out. Not killed him, but wouldn't care either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Another way of looking at things.

Maybe the guy with the hurley saved more innocent lives by killing the drunk driver there and then. Possibly, had the drunk driver not been in this altercation, maybe he would have killed innocent people due to his drunken driving.

A hero medal for the guy with the hurley maybe?
    Yes get out there and batter all drunk drivers to death.

Its more likely locking up the roadside hurler has saved some anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If he was defending his kid it's completely backfired as he is now going to miss a big chunk of his formative years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gerryo777 wrote: »
    At the same court an old farmer who's in a home and has parkinson's disease gets life for killing his brother in a dispute over where their mother was to be buried.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/farmer-gets-life-sentence-for-murdering-brother.html

We have a funny system here, there's no doubt.

Whats funny about it? The guy shot his brother in the chest with a shotgun in a row over where the mother was buried. Thats crazier than beating a drunk guy to death that tries to run you off the road.

Are you expecting a free pass for having parkinsons, being old, or both? If he was 20 years younger would it be ok to lock him up?

Free murder tuesday for pensioners maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i read the thread title as 'roger rabbit gets 12 years'

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

If someone put one of my kids lives in danger I would do a Vinnie Jones on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Prick should be locked up and the key thrown into a deep, dark bog.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Prick should be locked up and the key thrown into a deep, dark bog.

No point now, he's dead. The other fcukwit killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If someone put one of my kids lives in danger I would do a Vinnie Jones on him.

Yes you might have been able to revive the victim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

humberklog wrote: »
    No point now, he's dead. The other fcukwit killed him.
    Interesting. The story I read earlier in the Irish Times, which has since disappeared, had it that the hurley wielder was the one who had drunk the ten pints and the English guy was protecting his child in the car. I wonder which version made it to print? It was a different picture too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

gurramok wrote: »
    By the way, the woman who rammed the elderly man to death in Mulhuddart got 6 years, perhaps a car is less of a lethal weapon than a hurley!

don't see how a weapon can be less lethal than another when they both result in death!

But she may have not had any previous, also courts seem to be a little bit more lenient in certain cases involving females.

There is no self defence in this case whatsoever, no matter which way you cut it.

If someone came into my house now and verbally abused me and I proceed to take out a hurly and beat that person to the ground and beat him while they lay defenceless while on the ground I would be charged with manslaughter or murder, even with the new legislation that allows me to protect my property and family.

Most rational people would be pissed off if this happened to them but they wouldn't beat a man to death over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

don't see how a weapon can be less lethal than another when they both result in death!

But she may have not had any previous, also courts seem to be a little bit more lenient in certain cases involving females.

There is no self defence in this case whatsoever, no matter which way you cut it.

If someone came into my house now and verbally abused me and I proceed to take out a hurly and beat that person to the ground and beat him while they lay defenceless while on the ground I would be charged with manslaughter or murder, even with the new legislation that allows me to protect my property and family.

Most rational people would be pissed off if this happened to them but they wouldn't beat a man to death over it.

She had 15 convictions, previous for drugs possession, 3 yr conviction
    http://www.herald.ie/news/carkiller-nolan-was-on-drugs-binge-after-release-from-custody-3047638.html

In comparing cases, this fella getting 12 years for beating a drunk driver is harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Wattle wrote: »

Did he even know that there was a child in the car? And why not get the guys reg and report it to the police instead of going ballistic with a hurley and beating him to death? Once the guy is on the ground he's not presenting much of a threat so why continue to cave his head in?

It doesn't matter if he didn't know there was a kid in the car - the fact is he was threatening them and there was a kid there and the father acted in the manner he did.
    Personally I think he went over board but it's understandable and I don't think he should be where he is today as a result. Esp as he was forced into that situation by the other lunatic.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Since when does having a child give you special dispensation to kill?

he didn't set out to kill him - hence the mansluaghter charge.
    And clearly it give you no right (see this case) however I believe it does give you the right to defend yourself and you family and if that means violence so be it.

As referenced above the same judge gave claire nolan 8 year with 2 suspended.

How is her case less worthy of jail time.
    If anything she deserved more.
    I believe judges should be held accountable and answerable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

The man did what most would have done to protect his kids. Harsh sentence hopefully the guy is out in 6. The guy he killed seemed like a complete scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

RichT wrote: »
    He got 12 years for manslaughter, not 12 years for road rage which your sensationalist thread title implies.

was it for manslaughter? i didnt realise... :eek:

sensationalist thread, well sorry i couldnt fit the whole article into the title but everyone besides you and the other knob that thanked you, knew exactly what the thread refered to

hate petty posts like that

anyways i think the sentence was suprisingly harsh imo but probably deserved, i believe if he hit the guy once and killed him he should have walked but when he hit him a few times, it was rage as the threat was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 School of french

What I find repulsive in the whole sad story is that an innocent child had to witness such wanton violence. Why are children always the silent victims?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/man-sentenced-to-12-years-for-manslaughter.html

Karl Donohue gets 12 years for killing that drunk driver with a hurley in that road rage incident.

Too strong a sentence maybe?

How is this too strong a sentence ????

scumbag , did that with his baby daughter in the car, what a role model he is ....

jcf wrote: »
    How is this too strong a sentence ????

scumbag , did that with his baby daughter in the car, what a role model he is ....

i should have included; in comparison to others

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Shocking stuff really, he deserves at least 12 years. Belting a guy over the head with a hurley just because of an argument is appalling really. The man's actions have probably ruined both the lives of his family and the family of the man he murdered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I mean when i read the title I thought : " OK , road rage, the guy he hit over the head probably just ran his kid over or something" - but over a f*cking petty argument ... jesus ... 30 years minimum...

jcf wrote: »
    I mean when i read the title I thought : " OK , road rage, the guy he hit over the head probably just ran his kid over or something" - but over a f*cking petty argument ... jesus ... 30 years minimum...

ya gotta take into account this guy was minding his own business, driving his child home when the drunk guy starts abusing him, tailgating him and then over takes his car and blocks him in on a the road. i can see how this situation esculated so 30 years is a bit OTT but multiple blows to the head with a hurley is OTT too admitedly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

if you're a Garda you get away with a fine :mad:

Yeah - I believe if you're a guard you get fined €450 per kill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

That will get knocked down to 8 on appeal and he will be out in 4-5 years. FACT.

agree, 12 (2 yrs off that = 10) include 25% remission which will leave 7.5,
    with good behaviour you are talking 4/5 years

davet82 wrote: »
    ya gotta take into account this guy was minding his own business, driving his child home when the drunk guy starts abusing him, tailgating him and then over takes his car and blocks him in on a the road. i can see how this situation esculated so 30 years is a bit OTT but multiple blows to the head with a hurley is OTT too admitedly

its all ifs and buts, if he hadn't used the hurley , i doubt we would be talking 12 years. its excessive force that he used tbh. the other guy caused it, was the agressor you like but he didnt deserve to die.

this young man has had his life ruined either way you look at it, i don't believe he should get 30 years. its not like he set out to kill someone that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont think enough mitigation was given to the fact that Karl Donohue (in spite of his previous convictions and possibly suspect character) did not initiate any confrontation or commit any crime until this situation was visited upon him.. If drunker Bates hadnt initiated the situation and then escalated it up to a physical confrontation, he would still be alive..

Donhue certainly used excessive force, but if your confronted by a seriously drunk, angry and unpredictable man, I think your primary concern is defending yourself and your child...

I found the statement from the victim's family quite nauseating tbh... They take no account of the fact that Bates was drunk, was driving drunk, and started the whole fight.. And though it's probably easier for them to blame Donohue for his death, if Bates had been behaving responsibly himself, then the situation would have never arisen and he would still be alive..

I dont think enough mitigation was given to the fact that Karl Donohue (in spite of his previous convictions and possibly suspect character) did not initiate any confrontation or commit any crime until this situation was visited upon him.. If drunker Bates hadnt initiated the situation and then escalated it up to a physical confrontation, he would still be alive..

Donhue certainly used excessive force, but if your confronted by a seriously drunk, angry and unpredictable man, I think your primary concern is defending yourself and your child...

I found the statement from the victim's family quite nauseating tbh... They take no account of the fact that Bates was drunk, was driving drunk, and started the whole fight.. And though it's probably easier for them to blame Donohue for his death, if Bates had been behaving responsibly himself, then the situation would have never arisen and he would still be alive..

he certainly would be alive. bates caused it and there could have been a situation where bates killed both donohoe and his kid by crashing in to them as a result of his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hate anyone using his child as an excuse.
    If he felt his childs life was in danger he would have pulled over well back and let the idiot pass. Somehow I reckon we would have the same outcome if the child wasn't in the car.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hate anyone using his child as an excuse.
    If he felt his childs life was in danger he would have pulled over well back and let the idiot pass. Somehow I reckon we would have the same outcome if the child wasn't in the car.

very true...

i keep changing my views on this story with every post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Nothing to see here folks move along there please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Dubit10 wrote: »
    The man did what most would have done to protect his kids. Harsh sentence hopefully the guy is out in 6. The guy he killed seemed like a complete scummer.

Nope, if anything he should have gotten more - complete scumbag imo.

Hopefully in for a case of daily ass rape over the course of his sentance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

humberklog wrote: »
    I can't find the link but during the court procedings it was said that the guy that died said he'd throw the other guy's kid in the river.
    By whom ?

Was it a bystander or was it yer man trying to dream up an excuse or what ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement