Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAIL!

Options
  • 23-04-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm not a grammar nazi.. (well, ok a little bit!) but check out the way 'Immitator' has been spelled on this website....

http://www.patrickgildea.ie/

Someone should really tell the guy. I would, but I am enjoying this too much... ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

What's to enjoy about (probably) a web design company misspelling a word on a website for one of the counties best businessmen? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

Really don't expect everyone to get this.

It is intended for those who like to write or women who no longer attend the PG salons.

I should have written [sic] after 'immitator' or some will think that I can't spell either! (imitate me not!)

Immitator and Immatator on one website. While a typing error can be overlooked a mistake made due to stupidity is priceless.

Again, this will go over some of your heads. Humour and grammar aren't everyone's 'thing'....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'm pretty sure humour is most peoples thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

"Patrick Gildea Hairdressing Team,
    A Name which has become synonymous with quality and excellent in innovative Hairdressing since opening in 1988"
    (excellence)

also the fact that its an image would seem to say that it wasn't the web designers fault. They were probably given a CD (actually knowing business a floppy disk) of material that they had to use.

The design was signed off on and boom web designers look like prats when it might not have been their fault.

well know i've ate shot and left*

*attempt at a play on a certain book that grammer nazi's will know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

danniemcq wrote: »
    also the fact that its an image would seem to say that it wasn't the web designers fault. They were probably given a CD (actually knowing business a floppy disk) of material that they had to use.

The design was signed off on and boom web designers look like prats when it might not have been their fault.

well know i've ate shot and left*

I had forgotten that book! It must be ten years since it was first published. Lynne Truss was a hero :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

It gets worse - check out the wig page:

http://www.patrickgildea.ie/wigs/index.html

How many errors can you count?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

jmark wrote: »
    It gets worse - check out the wig page:

http://www.patrickgildea.ie/wigs/index.html

How many errors can you count?

That's pretty amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

To be fair it looks like something they threw together themselves. Not bad for a hairdresser!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's beyond me why businesses spend time and money putting websites, publications and signs up and don't ask someone who can spell to look over them for a few minutes.

A few years ago Highland Radio were advertising on the scrolling neon sign you can see from the station roundabout in Letterkenny: "advertise your buisness with us"....em.....not if you can't spell business.....:rolleyes:

And don't get me started on the local free paper - most of the ads look like they were proofread by an eight year old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

It's beyond me why businesses spend time and money putting websites, publications and signs up and don't ask someone who can spell to look over them for a few minutes.

A few years ago Highland Radio were advertising on the scrolling neon sign you can see from the station roundabout in Letterkenny: "advertise your buisness with us"....em.....not if you can't spell business.....:rolleyes:

maybe they spelled the latin........rebuis..

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I'm sure they're glad of the spelling mistakes now with all the hits they're getting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And don't get me started on the local free paper - most of the ads look like they were proofread by an eight year old!

There is also a county-wide paper which is/was prone to this, particularly a 'connected' reporter who has since 'moved on'.
    I understand not everyone has perfect grammar, and within donegal itself there are plenty of examples of colloquialisms and the like, but being a paid professional making mistakes that an eight year old wouldn't make is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Again, this will go over some of your heads. Humour and grammar aren't everyone's 'thing'....

I wish a bin would go over your head...might shut you up, Mr. Knowall. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I wish a bin would go over your head...might shut you up, Mr. Knowall. :confused:

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Warning given. Any more of this and I wont be as lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

danniemcq wrote: »

I sea what you did their...;) :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Penfailed wrote: »
    I sea what you did their...;) :D

Genious, I had mist that

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and I didnt no what he ment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

576648_434245973271528_205344452828349_1547098_1755603475_n.jpg

560659_434160706613388_205344452828349_1546757_1693520279_n.jpg

:D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

Oooh, i love me a good grammar nazi. More, more! I especially love the Irish proclivity for should/could/would OF. It drives me B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Oooh, i love me a good grammar nazi. More, more! I especially love the Irish proclivity for should/could/would OF. It drives me B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Nothing is as bad though as being called a 'looser', or indeed any time 'lose' is spelled with two o's.
    AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! This drives me nuts :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I saw 'lose' spelled with two o's recently in an online survey. Unforgiveable mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Nothing is as bad though as being called a 'looser', or indeed any time 'lose' is spelled with two o's.
    AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! This drives me nuts :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I saw 'lose' spelled with two o's recently in an online survey. Unforgiveable mistake

Take it to the grammar nazi forum please!

Take it to the grammar nazi forum please!

sh*t i'd listen to him, he sounds like he's about to loose his temper

Advertisement