Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commencement of Build

Options
  • 23-04-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

hi guys, we're hoping to start our build soon. We haven't confirmed our builder yet - we were waiting to receive confirmation of our mortgage approval. He has given us a quotation for the build contract, which we were very happy with but it didn't contain an excessive amount of detail.

We not want to go back to him and ask for a detailed spec. Should we be providing him with the level of detail we want? I just want to know that what we're getting is what we're expecting? Should we speak to the engineer about this, should he be able to look at the quotation and ask the builder to come back on the certain areas that he would require information on.
    We have received a plumbing and electrical spec- ie how many light fittings, rads and all of that but not the standard of products being used etc.
    I could do with a bit of direction on where to go next. Thanks very much in advance....

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

go to an architect and get a set of drawings and specification, otherwise work away with your builder with as you say a vague performance criteria and loose contract terms..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thread locked pending review by moderators

Thread opened again

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

judging by what you have posted above i think its safe to assume you have practically no experience in construction.

therefore the most prudent move you can make is to engage a professional on your behalf to look after you interests in this project.

firstly, i dont know how a builder can give you a quotation when he hasn't been told how to build it.... builders are NOT building regulation professionals so the specification required to comply should not be dictated by them.
    Get a professional to:
    • carry out a provisional BER assessment to find out what is needed to comply with energy conservation regulations
    • compile a detailed written specification of works proposed
    • prepare detailed working drawings of proposed works
    • quote you to supervise the project on your behalf
    • obtain at least 3 quotations for proposed works
    • ensure that contractor signs contract

then and only then can you start to rest easy and assured that there wont be extras popping up all over the place and that the build will be carried out to a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

sydthebeat wrote: »
    judging by what you have posted above i think its safe to assume you have practically no experience in construction.

therefore the most prudent move you can make is to engage a professional on your behalf to look after you interests in this project.

firstly, i dont know how a builder can give you a quotation when he hasn't been told how to build it.... builders are NOT building regulation professionals so the specification required to comply should not be dictated by them.
    Get a professional to:
    • carry out a provisional BER assessment to find out what is needed to comply with energy conservation regulations
    • compile a detailed written specification of works proposed
    • prepare detailed working drawings of proposed works
    • quote you to supervise the project on your behalf
    • obtain at least 3 quotations for proposed works
    • ensure that contractor signs contract

then and only then can you start to rest easy and assured that there wont be extras popping up all over the place and that the build will be carried out to a high standard.

Thanks sydthebeat, indeed you are correct! The builder had been given 'basic specifications' but we hadn't given enough detail for them to to work with. I will take your above comments on board, start again andmove forward from that.
    Thanks again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the more detail you have for contractors to price from... the more exact your budget can be... leave nothing to chance... there are many threads in this forum (C+P) which you should take time to read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement