Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**MOD NOTE UPDATED**Limerick woman complains about living in 3 bed house with 4 kids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

American system of Employment. (during growth stage of economic cycle)

1. Get a job doing something you like and you are good at.
    2. Not being able to get the job you want, then man-up and get the job you need to support yourself and your family.
    3. Don't want to get a job at all? then good luck with the destitution

American system of employment(during recession stage of economic cycle)

2. Can't get any job due to the economic reality that there are more people unemployed than there are jobs? Then fúck off and live under a bridge you lazy cúnt.

The first stage is fair enough and should have been activated under the celtic tiger. Blame the Fianna Fail government for not doing so and for buying elections with high welfare. Blaming the unemployed is futile and a distraction from what actually happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Well after reading her Facebook and Twiter account, I have to say she has a great life altogether! Just to keep ye updated, she said she'll be off on holidays this year.

No complaint's about her life there! Just nice wedding and holiday photos, good times for all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Well after reading her Facebook and Twiter account, I have to say she has a great life altogether! Just to keep ye updated, she said she'll be off on holidays this year.

No complaint's about her life there! Just nice wedding and holiday photos, good times for all!!!

Ah we all need some R/R therapy sometimes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

forfuxsake wrote: »
    American system of Employment. (during growth stage of economic cycle)

2. Not being able to get the job you want, then man-up and get the job you need to support yourself and your family.
    3. Don't want to get a job at all? then good luck with the destitution

American system of employment(during recession stage of economic cycle)

2. Can't get any job due to the economic reality that there are more people unemployed than there are jobs? Then fúck off and live under a bridge you lazy cúnt.

The first stage is fair enough and should have been activated under the celtic tiger. Blame the Fianna Fail government for not doing so and for buying elections with high welfare. Blaming the unemployed is futile and a distraction from what actually happened.

This I absolutely agree with, there are people who rely on the system and basically because they can. We all know this and know people who do. But to tackle this, you do, in an up cycle. But what happens is they tackle it during a down cycle when resources are limited and then the people that due to the circumstances of a down cycle get tainted with the abusers. And yes another proud legacy of FF.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Advertisement

dj jarvis wrote: »
    for the millionth time#

she should not be having children she can not afford , because as a state we cant afford it ,
    people should not be rewarded for having large family's on welfare , ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT , a cut of point if you like
    its un sustainable and stupid , no matter what gloss you put on it

she is NOT a tiny minority , i live in a 100 plus council estate and 80 PERCENT are SW piss takers , working , cock lodgers , all chancers , its all around me , every day
    not my faulty you live in cloud 9 - grasp reality , dept of SW figures said that 150,000 people are either being over paid or getting benefits they don't deserve

well **** this moo im not paying , you can TRY defend the indefensible but you will not be fooling me and many others

as for you " should people on sw not have holidays " how about this moo , should the people who pay for her ****ing life style also not have the right to a holiday ????? , because i dont get one , and in fairness sittiing on her hole is a holiday enough for her , she is whats wrong with our country and those who try defend this lunacy

The problem is that everyone blames the person who steps in **** and has the smell of ****, no one thinks to blame the person who left the **** on the ground in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

i live in a 100 plus council estate and 80 PERCENT are SW piss takers , working , cock lodgers , all chancers , its all around me , every day .......... she is whats wrong with our country and those who try defend this lunacy

You live in a council estate? Does that mean you are renting from the council or bought your house from the council? If you, this also means you are getting something for nothing (according to some people) and eventually the people who have to rent privately or had to buy their house at a then 'realistic' price will turn on you too.
    my heart bleeds for her....me hole.....we have a 2 bed apartment(i use the term apartment lightly more like a shoe box) and there's 5 of us here,were told by the council that we weren`t eligible for a transfer because we weren`t overcrowded,then i done a bit of digging and found that they were totally lying to us,firstly we werent measured properly and second they told us that if we do get a transfer then it has to be into another 2 bed place! which is horsesh!te and gets totally contradicted on their website...so finally after a year we are on the transfer list,so hopefully in another 6 or 7 years we might get a chance at having a house...and before anyone pipes up my fiance works and im heading to college in september and have been looking for work everywhere but cant even get an interview, anyway the best way to sort out the social welfare here is to have a massive crackdown on cheats, hire company's to do the detective work and pay them on commission,i guarantee that within a year we would save millions...then any non nationals caught boot them out of the country,any irish caught either make them give up the dole or give up the job there doing, this social welfare system here is the biggest joke in europe no wonder we`re feckin screwed

Who are the five people living in your two-bed apartment? Are they your children? Your fiance's children? How come you are in council accommodation when you can afford to go to college? Why haven't you applied for a job in MacDonalds? Why did you have children that you can only afford to raise in accommodation subsidised by those working? Why should you have a chance at having a house of your own when there are couples who have been working all their working life who can't afford to buy a house of their own?

None of these are nice questions. They are demeaning and intrusive, but when the social welfare problem has been sorted out to the satisfaction of the majority of the posters on this thread, then they will start looking at the amount of money being spent on council housing and you could find yourself defending your lifestyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

she is from Moyross, need we say more ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I had to lol at the authors surname.............. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick-s-serinna-in-despair-over-home-for-kids-1-3764536

Made for the piece it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

For last 5 weeks an unemployed father of 8 in limerick was picketing council office to demand bigger house.
    Council met him last week.
    Should have stopped his dole instead as he was obviously unavailable for work or to even search for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The problem with these kind of stories being highlighted is that it gets people totally wound up at social welfare recipients, instead of their ire being directed at the government.

These sensationalist stories do nothing but cause ill will between 'us' and 'them'

It isn't all that sensationalist. It's factually accurate and borne out by her radio interview. And for most people, it is them and us. It's those who can't be bothered working because they 'earn' more money on the dole and feel entitled all the time. And us who earn money, save money and live responsibly, forced to pay for what most normal people can see are totally irrational levels of welfare and 'entitlements'. If it takes tabloid rags to highlight that and stop it being swept under the carpet, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Stiffler2 wrote: »

About you? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

If those are really her replies on that trashy article then she has simply confirmed what we all thought of her in the first place as a parasitic leech. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

FutureGuy wrote: »

Victor Mildrew is certainly putting the boot in on her...."I don't believe it!!!" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Stiffler2 wrote: »

As is Keith Earls and he's done well for himself.

Not everyone there is a feckless layabout.

billybudd wrote: »
    Ah we all need some R/R therapy sometimes :p

All joking aside, that's indefensible. She's a disgrace and a disgusting example of what's wrong with this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

GowlBag wrote: »
    Haha! The picture is class.

The young lad crying cos he doesn't have his own room...

Or maybe he got a slap across the back of the head just before the photo was taken? :P

Sounds good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

She's digging a hole with Victor on that rag.... :D

She wants to be a midwife....You never know. She might find out what causes babies then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Gone
    Do you not read the papers these have all been cut or gone I would love to see where the figures quoted of what they receive in black and White .

What has been cut completely?
    Childrens Allowance?
    Domiciliary allowance + €1000 holiday money/year for her ADHD child?
    Fuel Allowance?
    Discretionary payments?

She is also (or should be) receiving maintenance from the childrens mother

token101 wrote: »
    All joking aside, that's indefensible. She's a disgrace and a disgusting example of what's wrong with this country.

I dont find it disgusting, i find it wrong on many levels but you must remember the electorate and government created this and nobody put up much fight against it pre-2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

Us Irish people are so spoilt!

one woman tries to get some free stuff for stupid reasons, and everyone who doesn't agree with it resorts to horrible insults.

we're all as bad as eachother...

(reading this thread is shameful, except for those who put up reasonble arguments and dont go as low as to saying things like her "gee should be stapled shut" )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Isn't it a pity about her. There were 8 of us living in a 3 bedroom house until I was 4. We weren't entitled to SW coz dad worked; the poor man had to build an extension himself at weekends and after work. Until 5 years ago my brother, his wife, and 2 kids lived in a 1 bed cottage, again no SW coz he was working. That woman doesn't know she's born.

micropig wrote: »
    Childrens Allowance?
    Fuel Allowance?
    Discretionary payments?

fuel allowance as far as i am aware has gone
    discretionay payments for communions has gone
    and they are currently looking at reducing the single parents allowance to end awhen the child reaches a certain age i think they are propsing 7? they are looking at ways to stop some people choosing to live of benefits as a lifestyle choice .
    All of this has been and is being talked about in the media . the amount of misinformed staements in regards to what she is or isnt claming is :eek: i know the above and i wouldnt even begin to claim that i have read extensively on this subject . brutons proposed changes to the single parent allowance was headline news but lets not facts get in the way of the arguement .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

fuel allowance as far as i am aware has gone
    discretionay payments for communions has gone
    and they are currently looking at reducing the single parents allowance to end awhen the child reaches a certain age i think they are propsing 7? they are looking at ways to stop some people choosing to live of benefits as a lifestyle choice .
    All of this has been and is being talked about in the media . the amount of misinformed staements in regards to what she is or isnt claming is :eek: i know the above and i wouldnt even begin to claim that i have read extensively on this subject . brutons proposed changes to the single parent allowance was headline news but lets not facts get in the way of the arguement .

the only fact that matters,,is....there are people getting money, paid for by people that cannot afford to pay it.....and those paying are suffering as a consequence.....while the people who are getting their money, are being rewarded...................is that fair..????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

"They (the kids) were in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning for a year and a half,” she said.

And yet Social Services haven't taken the kids off her yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

micropig wrote: »
    Childrens Allowance?
    Fuel Allowance?
    Discretionary payments?

Where does it state she receives domiciliary allowance, holiday money (never heard of such a payment) and discretionary payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

kylith wrote: »
    Isn't it a pity about her. There were 8 of us living in a 3 bedroom house until I was 4. We weren't entitled to SW coz dad worked; the poor man had to build an extension himself at weekends and after work. Until 5 years ago my brother, his wife, and 2 kids lived in a 1 bed cottage, again no SW coz he was working. That woman doesn't know she's born.
    Did your brother and his wife own the one bedroomed cottage or were they renting? They probably would've been entitled to go onto the housing list.

Social housing isn't just for unemployed people. Just saying.

the only fact that matters,,is....there are people getting money, paid for by people that cannot afford to pay it.....and those paying are suffering as a consequence.....while the people who are getting their money, are being rewarded...................is that fair..????????

where did i say it was fair?? and what are you talking about these people ? who ? this woman ? or anyone on welfare ? your post is ambigious .

poozers wrote: »
    Us Irish people are so spoilt!

one woman tries to get some free stuff for stupid reasons, and everyone who doesn't agree with it resorts to horrible insults.

we're all as bad as eachother...

(reading this thread is shameful, except for those who put up reasonble arguments and dont go as low as to saying things like her "gee should be stapled shut" )

Come back to me when you are have a family to feed, mortgage, household charge, ESB bills, TV licence, house insurance, water rates, bin charges weighing down on you.

A bunch of things I'll hazard a guess you are not fully facing at present........... and neither is the bould Serinna or corolla or whatever her name is.

• Advertisement

where did i say it was fair?? and what are you talking about these people ? who ? this woman ? or anyone on welfare ? your post is ambigious .

people who pay.....and people who recieve payments......

mikom wrote: »
    Come back to me when you are have a family to feed, mortgage, household charge, ESB bills, TV licence, house insurance, water rates, bin charges weighing down on you.

A bunch of things I'll hazard a guess you are not fully facing at present........... and neither is the bould Serinna or corolla or whatever her name is.

Hang on, the only payments there that differ from her to you is the household charge.

In place of the mortgage, she has rent to pay. Contrary to the picture some people like to paint on here, local authority tenants don't get a 'free' house.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

im not talking about peoples financial situations... im talking about the aggression on this thread.

i have PLENTY of financial problems weighing me down, dont be so quick to assume i don't because i dont agree with calling someone a "c*nt" or a "sl*t" and judging her so aggressively. im trying to work as much as i can to get out of my own problems. but while i obviously dont agree with this woman, i'm not going to stoop so low as some of the posters on this site, where the abuse was so bad that a mod had to to "snip" it out!!

Hang on, the only payments there that differ from her to you is the household charge.

In place of the mortgage, she has rent to pay. Contrary to the picture some people like to paint on here, local authority tenants don't get a 'free' house.

Except most people earn a wage and pay their way with their own money, including income tax. She gets this tax money and pays for her life and gives nothing in return.

In place of the mortgage? Are you serious? Do they have to save 1000s for a deposit? Does she get kicked out if she falls behind on the council rent? Does she owe anything extra? It's a free ride whether you want to admit it or not.

Local authority rents are based on your "ability" to pay, so if your income is "low", your rent will be low
    She is probably paying something equivalent in price to a Supermacs meal deal a week.
    What a trooper.

Except most people earn a wage and pay their way with their own money, including income tax. She gets this tax money and pays for her life and gives nothing in return.

In place of the mortgage? Are you serious? Do they have to save 1000s for a deposit? Does she get kicked out if she falls behind on the council rent? Does she owe anything extra? It's a free ride whether you want to admit it or not.

a guaranteed standard standard of living......that hard working people do not have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't see it that way, she's contributed a handful of children to Irelands future. People are still much more important than taxes in every conceivable way.

Not entirely true:
    Serinna, who arranged a 90 minute meeting with Mayor Jim Long - insists she wants to remain in Moyross, where she acts as fundraiser for the local soccer team.
    We don't know what other voluntary work she may do in the community.
    Of course she can be kicked out if she doesn't pay her rent.

Social housing is not a "free" ride. It is there for people that cannot provide housing from their own means. Rents are approx. 15% of the household's income. Edit: Up to a certain maximum, I grant you, normally around €120 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

jaysus she's commenting now on that Limerick Leader thread about how she's 'entitled' to a holiday - fasinating stuff here. the rest of us, if we wanted to move house to stop our kids freezing to death/dieing of carbon mono poisoning (insert relevant complaint here) we dont think about holidays, we think about saving.

sorry - this woman is a great exmaple of everything that's wrong with 'entitlement' Ireland.

Many people don't save 1000's for a deposit on a house. If you wish to own a house, that's your choice. No one forces anyone to take out a mortgage. You can choose to rent instead.

Yes, she would be evicted if she didn't pay rent to the local authority. If she fell behind, a payment plan would be put in place to pay back arrears. I'm not sure what extras you're talking about.

There's no free ride - everyone has bills to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Nah. Come on. On the radio last night she stated she had around 600E per week between herself and her husband. Its unclear if her husband gets child support for his 2 kids. That in addition to the 1700 she would get every summer for the child with ADHD brings it to around 32k per year. In hand. She has been on SW for the last 12 years. She is 32.

She has medical cards and no mortgage worries. How much is her 'rent'? 10E per week? Given that she gets free maintenance of the house, thats better than free in real terms

I don't begrudge her address, and I cant blame her for claiming what she is 'entitled to'. But she is asking for one of the 4 bedroom houses nearby earmarked for renewal. The council cant change their policy just because she got pregnant. Even if they would how much would it cost to renovate those boarded up houses?

There are a few things wrong here in my opinion

1. The SW system bloating that happened over the last 15 years. If you make SW tat attractive its going to have long and deep repercussions

2. The aggressive sense of entitlement of some people on SW. I have spent time with families in Moyross. They laugh at the PC bleeding hearts. They really do. They consider them suckers

3. The blind snobs here who write her off as a slut, scumbag etc

4. The blind trying to defend the indefensible. Our SW system is a joke. And it will sting this country and burden all working people until it is reformed

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't see it that way, she's contributed a handful of children future spongers to Irelands future.

yeah - you know i just FYP'd ya there. sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

solerina wrote: »
    My brother works for our local council....and I can guarantee you that before any tenant moves into a local authority house that the house is habitable....so if she has problems with the house its because she caused those problems.
    She is exactly whats wrong with our country, expecting to be given everything for free.

That's not true. There have been many cases in Limerick in the past ten years or so in which council housing HAD to be knocked because it was deemed unsafe. For example the flats in Ballynanty Beg. Houses in Moyross aren't exactly the newest and problems do come with these houses that were built before there were proper minimum standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

for the millionth time#

she should not be having children she can not afford , because as a state we cant afford it ,
    people should not be rewarded for having large family's on welfare , ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT , a cut of point if you like
    its un sustainable and stupid , no matter what gloss you put on it

she is NOT a tiny minority , i live in a 100 plus council estate and 80 PERCENT are SW piss takers , working , cock lodgers , all chancers , its all around me , every day
    not my faulty you live in cloud 9 - grasp reality , dept of SW figures said that 150,000 people are either being over paid or getting benefits they don't deserve

well **** this moo im not paying , you can TRY defend the indefensible but you will not be fooling me and many others

as for you " should people on sw not have holidays " how about this moo , should the people who pay for her ****ing life style also not have the right to a holiday ????? , because i dont get one , and in fairness sittiing on her hole is a holiday enough for her , she is whats wrong with our country and those who try defend this lunacy

80%. Did you take a head count.

D1stant wrote: »

How much is her 'rent'? 10E per week? Given that she gets free maintenance of the house, thats better than free in real terms
    Can I just take this?

If her income is €600 p/w, then her rent, depending if the husband is a joint tenent or just an additional occupant could be anything up to €120 p/w.

Free maintenance should only include repair the actual structure of the building and electrics and plumbing - pretty much the same as if she was renting privately.

Many people don't save 1000's for a deposit on a house. If you wish to own a house, that's your choice. No one forces anyone to take out a mortgage. You can choose to rent instead.

Yes, she would be evicted if she didn't pay rent to the local authority. If she fell behind, a payment plan would be put in place to pay back arrears. I'm not sure what extras you're talking about.

yes, bills have to be paid........but great when you are given money to pay them.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

yeah - you know i just FYP'd ya there. sorry.
    I was going to say someone would accuse the children who've done nothing of being low lifes but I thought I'd let someone say it instead.

if you choose to rent without being 'entitled' to local authority housing - you'll be evicted if you dont pay. she wont, or at the very least it'll take years...and she'd no doubt start another 'campaign'.

if this womans not on a free ride - see post above where she's getting at least 32k tax free + housing related benefits - then i dont know what you'd define free ride as....

You know her personally do you?

Lol you pay the TV licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

jaysus she's commenting now on that Limerick Leader thread about how she's 'entitled' to a holiday - fasinating stuff here. the rest of us, if we wanted to move house to stop our kids freezing to death/dieing of carbon mono poisoning (insert relevant complaint here) we dont think about holidays, we think about saving.

sorry - this woman is a great exmaple of everything that's wrong with 'entitlement' Ireland.

Have you 100% proof that the poster on the Limerick Leader thread is the real Serinna Corbett or could it be someone taking the piss?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement