Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**MOD NOTE UPDATED**Limerick woman complains about living in 3 bed house with 4 kids

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

saa wrote: »
    So the child having fits every night (:S) is sleeping with the oldest child, she's in one room, two are sharing the other. Why doesnt she move to a smaller room and put up a bunk bed and single and give the ill child the room, I know its not easy having young and older siblings sharing but when you have a child with needs something has to give at your expense it can't just be handed to you anymore. Going back to basics we are, 12 kids in a room ahoy.

He has ADHD, so basically his "fits" are him being a little bollix and refusing to go to bed.

Why is there no mention at all of the father(s) in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

He has ADHD, so basically his "fits" are him being a little bollix and refusing to go to bed.

dont be putting the squeeze on the children , he has issues, lets leave it at that

he has no choice in whats going on - the adults do

you have no way of knowing what his problem is so leave it out, like a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

dj jarvis wrote: »
    dont be putting the squeeze on the children , he has issues, lets leave it at that

he has no choice in whats going on - the adults do

Do you have independent confirmation of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Dear lord...

I've read though this thread, took me ages, and apart from the fact that she's apparently a baby factory, which is frankly none of my business or anyone elses (well up to a point, cos now she's made it our business). Forget that one of her kids has what ever the eff it happens to be, she has 2 kids sharing a room... well aren't we living in the 3rd world :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I grew up in a 3 bedroom house, my Mam and Dad had one room, my brother had a room to himself (granted it was the box room) and I shared a room with BOTH my sisters. My friend had 3 brothers and 2 sisters, so it was the same kind of house, 3 boys in one room, 3 girls in another room, and then their parents room. When my mother grew up, the was 6 kids 2 parents and 2 BEDROOMS.

I don't care, but she can kiss my a$$ if she wants an ounce of sympathy outta me. She has a home and shelter for her chilren, more than a whole lot have, she need to grow the fcuk up and learn a bit of gratitude!

They said ADHD. That is not a reason in and of itself to be given your own room.

I'd like to know if it was an actual Psychologist or Psychiatrist who diagnosed him, or simply her GP saying it after she gave the "symptoms" as it is a pretty damn common thing to do around my area, which would be similar enough in economic make up to Moyross.

Nice use of condescension too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To be honest if not having the extra room for the child was a detriment to his health I would probably just sleep on the couch in the living room myself and leave my room to him.
    But, hey, that's just me.

They said ADHD. That is not a reason in and of itself to be given your own room.

I'd like to know if it was an actual Psychologist or Psychiatrist who diagnosed him, or simply her GP saying it after she gave the "symptoms" as it is a pretty damn common thing to do around my area, which would be similar enough in economic make up to Moyross.

Agreed, people drop the mother effing terms like the actually know what the are ALL THE TIME... They read symptoms on a website and decide that's their child, a total pain in the hole, and usually an excuse for the fact that their kids a little fcukers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

I don't believe ADHD causes fits.

never let facts get in the way of a good story and all that, whoever this reporter is should be given a medal for the amount of publicity they have generated for this rag of a so-called 'newspaper'.

i have no doubt that the journalist encouraged, coached and coerced this imbecile into embellishing her 'tale of woes' to make for what the journalist and their editor knew would whip up a shít-storm of publicity.

they gave her more than enough rope and she being the imbecile she is, thought she was doing a great job of making a rallying cry for sympathy.

i also think she should never have been entertained by the mayor, but then the mayor himself is nothing more than an imbecile either.

since the story broke i had resisted commenting before now as i really didnt want to bother contributing to exactly what the newspaper wants- more publicity, and i reckon they've got a follow up in line already for the next edition.

mikom wrote: »
    To be honest if not having the extra room for the child was a detriment to his health I would probably just sleep on the couch in the living room myself and leave my room to him.
    But, hey, that's just me.

Wouldn't we all sacrifice for our kids... but I gotta say, my niece has epilepsy and having space or even a lack there of, does not induce fits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

xsiborg wrote: »
    never let facts get in the way of a good story and all that, whoever this reporter is should be given a medal for the amount of publicity they have generated for this rag of a so-called 'newspaper'.

i have no doubt that the journalist encouraged, coached and coerced this imbecile into embellishing her 'tale of woes' to make for what the journalist and their editor knew would whip up a shít-storm of publicity.

they gave her more than enough rope and she being the imbecile she is, thought she was doing a great job of making a rallying cry for sympathy.

i also think she should never have been entertained by the mayor, but then the mayor himself is nothing more than an imbecile either.

since the story broke i had resisted commenting before now as i really didnt want to bother contributing to exactly what the newspaper wants- more publicity, and i reckon they've got a follow up in line already for the next edition.

Agreed, the rag has used her gullibility to cause an outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Your one and only contribution to this thread. How interesting :rolleyes:
    well tbf i only happened upon this thread today when it appeared on the homepage as i'm only an occasional AHer and thusly i spent a good while reading through the entirety of this thread before i decided to take part as I would rather make an informed comment based on any and all new information that came to light later in the thread rather than just diving straight in.

I merely showed you to be mistaken in your claims to have not quoted a user. Note how i didn't say you were wrong, merely mistaken. The mistake is there in black and white (or whatever colour scheme you currently have your profile set to) and my pointing it out was not a personal attack onto you hairyprincess but rather just my attempt at showing you where you had in fact quoted the user. Your handling of having been shown to being mistaken is showing itself to be poor though i'm sure you mean no malice or harm in your reply.

And with regards to it being my first post in this thread i assure you while people are arguing in favour of this woman then there will be plenty of posts from me opposing such a view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Im very confused to me this is a non story, she wants a four bedrooms house, she's going to get it anyway.

If you a living in a council house no more than two kids can share a room, those kids also have to be the same sex, ie two boys or two girls, if you have one of each then that is 3 bedrooms, 1 for each kid. This woman is pregnant with her 5th child meaning she will have gone above the limit and be eligible for a house with another bedroom.

And if she is getting RA then it is her own responsibility to get a house that is suitable for her needs and the RA supplements it.

So I guess I don't get what she is whining about, also terrible reporting by the leader, then again I shouldn't have expected any less.

Do you have independent confirmation of that?

your just not getting it are you ?

it does not need to be proven one way or the other , its about a child.
    its about a child that we are not its parents so we don't need to discus its problems or lack of , adults are fair game in my book but

kids no matter what are off limits - insinuations about kids are just wrong

dont bring the children's medical health into the debate - but i thought everyone would understand this - obviously not

really missing the point , are we not .
    and thanks it was meant to be as obvious as possible

your just not getting it are you ?

it does not need to be proven one way or the other , its about a child.
    its about a child that we are not its parents so we don't need to discus its problems or lack of , adults are fair game in my book but

kids no matter what are off limits - insinuations about kids are just wrong

dont bring the children's medical health into the debate - but i thought everyone would understand this - obviously not

We didn't bring the childs mental health into any debate. The mother mentioned it as a reason she needs an extra couple of rooms. Which for those of us who have dealt with kids who have ADD or ADHD know it's not fundamentally true.

And I question whether or not it's actually diagnosed or he just acts hyper from the amount of high sugar snacks he eats. There are A LOT of people who claim that their kids have ADD/ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia and other conditions when they never really get a formal diagnosis, they just say it as an excuse for piss poor parenting. (NOT All, but there are a rather large number who do it)

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Agreed, people drop the mother effing terms like the actually know what the are ALL THE TIME... They read symptoms on a website and decide that's their child, a total pain in the hole, and usually an excuse for the fact that their kids a little fcukers!

you are discussing a actual real child's mental problems on a forum , diagnoised or not , its none of ANYBODY'S business , how are people not getting this , it does not matter a flying **** what he does or does not have

the debate is about his mother , remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

We didn't bring the childs mental health into any debate. The mother mentioned it as a reason she needs an extra couple of rooms. Which for those of us who have dealt with kids who have ADD or ADHD know it's not fundamentally true.

And I question whether or not it's actually diagnosed or he just acts hyper from the amount of high sugar snacks he eats. There are A LOT of people who claim that their kids have ADD/ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia and other conditions when they never really get a formal diagnosis, they just say it as an excuse for piss poor parenting. (NOT All, but there are a rather large number who do it)

Are you a parent?

people have been insinuating that his fits are a con , that he is being used as a excuse - no one in this debate actually knows what is going on with him other than his doctor and parents

im pointing out that people should not be debating a child's medical issues in a open forum with out knowing all the facts , please stop

mishkalucy wrote: »
    [/B]

Are you a parent?

What difference does that make at all to what I said? Please don't say "If you were a parent you would understand" I'm a carer for my 17 year old wheelchair bound sister. Being a parent doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

people have been insinuating that his fits are a con , that he is being used as a excuse - no one in this debate actually knows what is going on with him other than his doctor and parents

im pointing out that people should not be debating a child's medical issues in a open forum with out knowing all the facts , please stop

Nobody has called the child a liar. His mother said he has fits. That's who we are questioning. She brought it into the public domain as a way to garner sympathy, she should have thought of the possibility that she gets none.

And lets be fair, Any little bit of misbehavior can be called a "fit".

What difference does that make at all to what I said? Please don't say "If you were a parent you would understand" I'm a carer for my 17 year old wheelchair bound sister. Being a parent doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

In fairness it does make a difference as you infer that bad parenting is the cause of a lot of the children who are dx with neurological conditions.
    You are not your sisters parent but her sibling, regardless of whether you claim to be her carer.
    And you of all people should know the discrimination the ANYONE with a disablity faces on a daily basis or is that discrimination solely reserved for children whose disability is not visible to the naked eye?

• Advertisement

In fairness it does make a difference as you infer that bad parenting is the cause of a lot of the children who are dx with neurological conditions.
    You are not your sisters parent but her sibling, regardless of whether you claim to be her carer.
    And you of all people should know the discrimination the ANYONE with a disablity faces on a daily basis or is that discrimination solely reserved for children whose disability is not visible to the naked eye?

Are you kidding me? I specifically said kids WITHOUT a formal diagnosis. The fact is there are a lot of parents who will say there kids have something wrong with them I don't know why but some just do. I also didn't say that all parents who maintain their kid has a neurological conditions but without formal diagnosis are piss poor parents. But a parent who thinks their kid does have one will take them to be evaluated.

I've been her carer for years, I resent the implication that I may be lying, but this is a web forum, and there are a lot of people here who know me and what I do for her.

And finally, I am not discriminating against anyone at all. I just don't think a kid with ADHD needs their own room. It would be nice if every kid could have their own room, but it's not always feasible and I don't think this mother should get it just because a few kids have to share.

Are you kidding me? I specifically said kids WITHOUT a formal diagnosis. The fact is there are a lot of parents who will say there kids have something wrong with them I don't know why but some just do. I also didn't say that all parents who maintain their kid has a neurological conditions but without formal diagnosis are piss poor parents. But a parent who thinks their kid does have one will take them to be evaluated.

I've been her carer for years, I resent the implication that I may be lying, but this is a web forum, and there are a lot of people here who know me and what I do for her.

And finally, I am not discriminating against anyone at all. I just don't think a kid with ADHD needs their own room. It would be nice if every kid could have their own room, but it's not always feasible and I don't think this mother should get it just because a few kids have to share.

And you are aware that this child has no formal dx?
    I did not imply that you were lying but simply pointing out that you are not her parent but her sibling and unless there are no parents this would mean that you are not her sole carer.
    What I take issue with is that you make several references to children being "little fcukers", "total pains in the hole" and other quite inflammatory statements which while cleverly hidden behind "some not all" disclaimer lead readers to believe from your comments that you have no respect for these disorders.
    You also say "for those of us who have dealt with kids who have add and adhd" so I take it you claim to have experience with these disorders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

And you are aware that this child has no formal dx?
    I did not imply that you were lying but simply pointing out that you are not her parent but her sibling and unless there are no parents this would mean that you are not her sole carer.
    What I take issue with is that you make several references to children being "little fcukers", "total pains in the hole" and other quite inflammatory statements which while cleverly hidden behind "some not all" disclaimer lead readers to believe from your comments that you have no respect for these disorders.
    You also say "for those of us who have dealt with kids who have add and adhd" so I take it you claim to have experience with these disorders?

That's not what I took from his posts.

B]QUOTE=minidazzler;78319226[BHe has ADHD, so basically his "fits" are him being a little bollix and refusing to go to bed.[/B][/B]

Why is there no mention at all of the father(s) in the picture?[/QUOTE]

@ mackg Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Robdude wrote: »
    We're talking about the very basics of life. Food and shelter for yourself and your children. We're not talking about a summer villa in France or a yacht. Look at the total wealth and it's distribution; there is no reason for any child in Ireland to live in poverty, squalor or misery. But the hard working 'middle class' are taught to latch out against the poor who want to have bedrooms for their children while ignoring the truly rich, powerful, and corrupt who make it all possible. There is only so much wealth a single person can *earn*, and our wealthy are far, far, far, far beyond that. They have what they do because they get OTHER people to work hard for them.

Surely this is also part of gods plan for us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FreeasmyHair

Is this bitch serious? Up until I was 8, my 3 brothers shared a room, I got one and my parents got one. We managed.
    But when my mam gave birth to my sister she told my brothers to feck off and get a house. :D

mishka i actually AM a parent, and one thing i hate is the 'are you a parent?' nonsense! as if that makes any blind bit of difference!

you dont have to be a parent to know this imbecile was embellishing her story! nobody here is saying anything about the child's mental health, they are questioning this imbecile using mental health issues to garner sympathy for herself.

whether you do or do not believe in ADD or ADHD etc, the simple fact of the matter is that this imbecile used her children to embellish her story.

i too dont like seeing children being manipulated and judging from the photo i can only surmise that she was pinching the child's back to make him cry on queue for the camera- more manipulation. she purposely tried to paint her own children in the worst light so that she could show everybody 'look, even my poor child is upset over this travesty, give him a house and he'll smile again and he'll magically be cured of his ADHD and fits and wont be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning when i turn on the heating, heating that the health board will pay the bill for too!'.

she claims she cant move from the area because she's involved in the local soccer team? so she's well able to put herself first when she wants, and to hell with the children's welfare.

she says 'we' in the article when she mentions how they plastered the sitting room (surprises me they didnt whitewash the sitting room altogether!), so that infers that there is a partner in the picture, but that little detail seems to have slipped past even the editor when they were trying to make her out to be a 'struggling single mother'.

i can think off the top of my head of plenty of single mothers who would put this idiot mouthpiece to shame as they would not want her purporting to represent the vast majority of single mothers who i know to be decent and hard working contributing members of society, nothing like this whinging idiot, and none of them would want to be tarred with the same stereotypical brush as a lazy good for nothing whingebag scrounging off the state and whining when she hasnt the decency to be grateful for what she's already got for nothing!

i can understand someone making a mistake once, and bringing a child into the world when they couldnt afford it, maybe twice even i'd consider them extremely unfortunate, third time i'd suggest a serious chat with their GP about family planning and forms of contraception. but FIVE times? come on, these children are people too, and they dont deserve to be lumped with this shít. social services should've stepped in a long time ago because this woman is obviously incapable of taking care of herself, let alone four children with another one on the way!

mishka i actually AM a parent, and one thing i hate is the 'are you a parent?' nonsense! as if that makes any blind bit of difference!

you dont have to be a parent to know this imbecile was embellishing her story! nobody here is saying anything about the child's mental health, they are questioning this imbecile using mental health issues to garner sympathy for herself.

whether you do or do not believe in ADD or ADHD etc, the simple fact of the matter is that this imbecile used her children to embellish her story.

i too dont like seeing children being manipulated and judging from the photo i can only surmise that she was pinching the child's back to make him cry on queue for the camera- more manipulation. she purposely tried to paint her own children in the worst light so that she could show everybody 'look, even my poor child is upset over this travesty, give him a house and he'll smile again and he'll magically be cured of his ADHD and fits and wont be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning when i turn on the heating, heating that the health board will pay the bill for too!'.

she claims she cant move from the area because she's involved in the local soccer team? so she's well able to put herself first when she wants, and to hell with the children's welfare.

she says 'we' in the article when she mentions how they plastered the sitting room (surprises me they didnt whitewash the sitting room altogether!), so that infers that there is a partner in the picture, but that little detail seems to have slipped past even the editor when they were trying to make her out to be a 'struggling single mother'.

i can think off the top of my head of plenty of single mothers who would put this idiot mouthpiece to shame as they would not want her purporting to represent the vast majority of single mothers who i know to be decent and hard working contributing members of society, nothing like this whinging idiot, and none of them would want to be tarred with the same stereotypical brush as a lazy good for nothing whingebag scrounging off the state and whining when she hasnt the decency to be grateful for what she's already got for nothing!

i can understand someone making a mistake once, and bringing a child into the world when they couldnt afford it, maybe twice even i'd consider them extremely unfortunate, third time i'd suggest a serious chat with their GP about family planning and forms of contraception. but FIVE times? come on, these children are people too, and they dont deserve to be lumped with this shít. social services should've stepped in a long time ago because this woman is obviously incapable of taking care of herself, let alone four children with another one on the way!

You may have picked me up wrong here;)
    I have watched this thread and didn't post as I considered the issue with this woman to be a bit of joke story tbh(reckon it was a slow news day in the "Leader")
    What I took issue with was a certain poster making comment after comment and constantly referencing add/adhd/autism with very negative connotations ie little bollixs, little fcukers, total pains in the hole etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

She is married, according to his facebook page I would assume that they are still together going by this message "Hope u like your car babes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" posted on the 19th. March last. As far as I can make out the first two of her children are not his.

• Advertisement

B]QUOTE=minidazzler;78319226[BHe has ADHD, so basically his "fits" are him being a little bollix and refusing to go to bed.[/B][/B]

@ mackg Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

While not put in the most eloquent manner it looks to me to be differentiating between the symptoms of ADHD and "fits" which I take to mean seizures.

mackg wrote: »
    @ mackg Hope this helps

While not put in the most eloquent manner it looks to me to be differentiating between the symptoms of ADHD and "fits" which I take to mean seizures.[/QUOTE]

But surely you take the point that this name calling and disrespect to be irrelevent as to adhd, which incidentally can in some cases have co-morbid seizure activity

While not put in the most eloquent manner it looks to me to be differentiating between the symptoms of ADHD and "fits" which I take to mean seizures.

But surely you take the point that this name calling and disrespect to be irrelevent as to adhd, which incidentally can in some cases have co-morbid seizure activity

If you took it that way fair enough, I didn't.

Doesn't co-morbid seizure activity mean that the seizures are a result of a different condition to the ADHD that is present in the patient simultaneously?

You may have picked me up wrong here;)
    I have watched this thread and didn't post as I considered the issue with this woman to be a bit of joke story tbh(reckon it was a slow news day in the "Leader")
    What I took issue with was a certain poster making comment after comment and constantly referencing add/adhd/autism with very negative connotations ie little bollixs, little fcukers, total pains in the hole etc

mishka i think you picked mini up wrong, i dont think he was suggesting children diagnosed with these conditions were little fúckers, i think he was making the point that its all too easy for people nowadays to say a child has one of these conditions instead of saying that the child isnt suffering from anything only the fact he's a spoilt little shít that's been let get away with so much because his parents have abdicated their responsibilities as parents.

you dont have to be a parent to see when a neglected child is acting out and pushing their boundaries simply for no other reason than they crave attention.

i have experienced this phenomenon when i've been out with my own child and he threw a right strop (or a 'fit' as this woman would call it) inside in dunnes stores because i wouldnt buy him a packet of sweets.

i tried to reason with him at first but there's no reasoning with some people (either adults or children sometimes!), and when he punched me in the face i said enough was enough, picked him up, lobbed him over my shoulder and walked out of the shop!

half the people staring in the shop thought i was some pedophile kidnapping a child, while the other half tutted and whispered at 'the disgraceful behaviour'.

i let him down when we got outside the shop and was in the middle of giving him a stern talking to when a woman rushed out, i looked over, and she came over and said 'will you go easy on the child, he could be autistic you know? you should take him to be tested?'.

i didnt even entertain the woman, but it just goes to show you how she would have put his behaviour down to a serious mental condition through sheer ignorance, rather than believe that the child might just be acting like a spoiled little brat because he didnt get his own way.

it used be a case years ago where if the child did something the parents would say 'my little johnny wouldnt do that', nowadays though it seems to be a case of 'my little johnny did it because he has adhd', making excuses for the child's behaviour rather than do what a parent is supposed to do and correct him for his behaviour!

mishka i think you picked mini up wrong, i dont think he was suggesting children diagnosed with these conditions were little fúckers, i think he was making the point that its all too easy for people nowadays to say a child has one of these conditions instead of saying that the child isnt suffering from anything only the fact he's a spoilt little shít that's been let get away with so much because his parents have abdicated their responsibilities as parents.

you dont have to be a parent to see when a neglected child is acting out and pushing their boundaries simply for no other reason than they crave attention.

i have experienced this phenomenon when i've been out with my own child and he threw a right strop (or a 'fit' as this woman would call it) inside in dunnes stores because i wouldnt buy him a packet of sweets.

i tried to reason with him at first but there's no reasoning with some people (either adults or children sometimes!), and when he punched me in the face i said enough was enough, picked him up, lobbed him over my shoulder and walked out of the shop!

half the people staring in the shop thought i was some pedophile kidnapping a child, while the other half tutted and whispered at 'the disgraceful behaviour'.

i let him down when we got outside the shop and was in the middle of giving him a stern talking to when a woman rushed out, i looked over, and she came over and said 'will you go easy on the child, he could be autistic you know? you should take him to be tested?'.

i didnt even entertain the woman, but it just goes to show you how she would have put his behaviour down to a serious mental condition through sheer ignorance, rather than believe that the child might just be acting like a spoiled little brat because he didnt get his own way.

it used be a case years ago where if the child did something the parents would say 'my little johnny wouldnt do that', nowadays though it seems to be a case of 'my little johnny did it because he has adhd', making excuses for the child's behaviour rather than do what a parent is supposed to do and correct him for his behaviour!

My point is that at every hands turn children who have these disorders are being tarred as being little bollixs as mini in fact did refer to(I posted the requote earlier so need to over that ground again)It was his discriminatory tone that bothered me.
    The fact that you say a woman approached you for rightly reprimanding you child for un-acceptable behaviour in a shop and quizzed you as to perhaps he was autistic is mind boggling. Are you really telling me that a complete stranger said this to you????
    Fair enough if you say she did as she was clearly as misinformed about autism as the rest of the nation as a tantrum does not autism make.
    Also was this woman referring to fits as in fits of rage or seizure fits?

If you took it that way fair enough, I didn't.

Doesn't co-morbid seizure activity mean that the seizures are a result of a different condition to the ADHD that is present in the patient simultaneously?

Co morbid means in addition to an existing disorder but relative to that disorder and not always simultaneously.

• Advertisement

My point is that at every hands turn children who have these disorders are being tarred as being little bollixs as mini in fact did refer to(I posted the requote earlier so need to over that ground again)It was his discriminatory tone that bothered me.
    The fact that you say a woman approached you for rightly reprimanding you child for un-acceptable behaviour in a shop and quizzed you as to perhaps he was autistic is mind boggling. Are you really telling me that a complete stranger said this to you????
    Fair enough if you say she did as she was clearly as misinformed about autism as the rest of the nation as a tantrum does not autism make.

The woman being referred to is the woman in the original story and all the confusion is coming from the fact that she just said he had ADHD which caused him to have fits. We don't know what she meant but since she said it was a result of ADHD we're assuming it's not seizures.

The woman being referred to is the woman in the original story and all the confusion is coming from the fact that she just said he had ADHD which caused him to have fits.

I meant the woman in the original story apologies I was not clear on that.

no i genuinely understand where you're coming from mishka but i think mini (and myself there) was making the point that its far too easy for these disorders to be ascribed to children where no such condition exists, as you quite rightly pointed out- by people who just dont have any clue about these conditions themselves.

its far too easy for people to dismiss children acting out as children suffering from a mental disorder, and its people like this woman throwing in that little adhd tid-bit to get more sympathy for herself and juicy up her story that do a greater dis-service to parents whose children are actually diagnosed with these conditions.

in my opinion its a far more likely scenario that the child is just starved of attention and acts out, rather than any form of adhd.

i dont claim to have any experience of adhd myself, but i have experienced parents with just plain lazy children or attention starved children that have ascribed add and adhd to their children with no sound medical diagnosis whatsoever, and i think in the case of this woman its a case of same- "cant parent properly, child must have adhd, 'cause im hardly to blame, im a great parent me!", when clearly, she is anything but!

the only ones i feel sorry for in this whole ridiculous debacle, as i've said before, are the children, who didnt ask to be brought into this world only to be lumped with an imbecile for a mother!

no i genuinely understand where you're coming from mishka but i think mini (and myself there) was making the point that its far too easy for these disorders to be ascribed to children where no such condition exists, as you quite rightly pointed out- by people who just dont have any clue about these conditions themselves.

its far too easy for people to dismiss children acting out as children suffering from a mental disorder, and its people like this woman throwing in that little adhd tid-bit to get more sympathy for herself and juicy up her story that do a greater dis-service to parents whose children are actually diagnosed with these conditions.

in my opinion its a far more likely scenario that the child is just starved of attention and acts out, rather than any form of adhd.

i dont claim to have any experience of adhd myself, but i have experienced parents with just plain lazy children or attention starved children that have ascribed add and adhd to their children with no sound medical diagnosis whatsoever, and i think in the case of this woman its a case of same- "cant parent properly, child must have adhd, 'cause im hardly to blame, im a great parent me!", when clearly, she is anything but!

the only ones i feel sorry for in this whole ridiculous debacle, as i've said before, are the children, who didnt ask to be brought into this world only to be lumped with an imbecile for a mother!

I watched the six oclock rte news this evening and there was a march by parents with special needs children. There was a mother of an asd little girl speaking. My heart broke as this little girl was clearly affected with asd and the family had their dca cut off.
    My problem is the wider community and media are having somewhat of a witch hunt on children with these disorders because one or two bad apples have sullied the condition, now everyone bears the brunt

I watched the six oclock rte news this evening and there was a march by parents with special needs children. There was a mother of an asd little girl speaking. My heart broke as this little girl was clearly affected with asd and the family had their dca cut off.
    My problem is the wider community and media are having somewhat of a witch hunt on children with these disorders because one or two bad apples have sullied the condition, now everyone bears the brunt

unfortunately mishka this is the same wider community and media that are having somewhat of a field day with single mothers at the moment because of the one or two bad apples like this imbecile, at the expense of as i said many single mothers who are trying hard every day doing their best.

a friend of mine whose boyfriend left her taking care of two children, one of whom is a seven year old autistic boy, doesnt even qualify for DCA because the child is able to dress himself. he is, and just about, but this testing makes no mention of half the things he isnt able to do!
    this girl has worked in some seriously shít jobs to try and provide for her two children who she has to try and make arrangements with relatives or friends to mind them while she goes out to work.

its by no stretch an ideal situation neither for her nor her children, but she tries to tell herself that she wants her children to see that she wasnt lazy, even though she misses them when she's at work.

that's why the likes of this woman in the newspaper article sickens me, she's getting everything for nothing, therefore is grateful for nothing, and now demands a bigger house, because she refuses to accept any sort of personal responsibility, and lets not forget she wants to call all the shots too because she'll tell the council she wants to stay where she is!

she has proven herself to be the perfect patsy for the media to throw to the lynch mob while my friend who is a single mother is paying for her lavish lifestyle. and yes, it IS lavish, compared to how worse off she actually could be if she was receiving no assistance from the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I know this may sound like an obvious solution to a problem but given that she is not able to support 4 children and provide them a home paid for by herself why does she not just cross her legs and give up procreation ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

toexpress wrote: »
    I know this may sound like an obvious solution to a problem but given that she is not able to support 4 children and provide them a home paid for by herself why does she not just cross her legs and give up procreation ...

Why should she? Whats next we take up laws like China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Why should she? Whats next we take up laws like China.

Well the question is why should the tax payer have to support her? She got a free house and now it's not good enough? I mean honestly, I am not gone on my house, I'd much rather live in D.4 but sadly I can't afford to so I continue to pay my mortgage and live with the things I dislike. What's so special about this woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

toexpress wrote: »

Wow, what a refreshing opinion. Why didn't anyone suggest this before?

you are discussing a actual real child's mental problems on a forum , diagnoised or not , its none of ANYBODY'S business , how are people not getting this , it does not matter a flying **** what he does or does not have

the debate is about his mother , remember that.

Eh wanna got off your cross there love!

I didn't specifically mention that child, read the post correctly! People drop terms like ADD and ADHD and OCD like they know exactly what it is. I've seen kids who can sit for longer than 20mins watching telly and their parents tell me their child has ADD or ADHD or whatever. If he/she did had ADD/ADHD the likelyhood of them watching telly for that long is remote, possible but remote, and when I ask what the doctor said, oh we didn't go to the doctor, but he/she is always running all over the place. ADD/ADHD prevents sleep, eating, can lead to depression in children, lack self control, self harm (in very extreme cases), in fact the list goes on and on an on. They are REAL disorder, and can have awful effects on a family. The point is, is that an active or badly behaved child does NOT indicate that have either of the disorders!

People hear terms and use them incorrectly, and usually say it as an excuse for the fact that their children are little toerags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Keep scrimping and saving folks to pay your taxes, pension levies, mortgages, household charges, Etc. Etc., whilst the rest are living it up as they claim the poor mouth.

Magic Vacations

23 January

Disneyland Paris Question: Have you travelled with Ryanair to Paris Beauvais? Would you recommend it?

Reply:
    Serinna Corbett
    we went from dublin , flight was 6 in the morning travelled from limerick there , took ages to get to the hotel from the airport , but for the price it was well worth it cheaper than a holiday in the sun and the kids enjoyed it

“in despair” at having to look after her children in a three bedroom house.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick-s-serinna-in-despair-over-home-for-kids-1-3764536

Wonder how many shared a room at the Disneyland Paris resort?
    With Jordan suffering from fits due to his attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, she says none of her children have enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep in months.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick-s-serinna-in-despair-over-home-for-kids-1-3764536
    Sleep well in Paris?

Now, with a fifth child on the way, Serinna has said enough is enough.
    Seriously folks, on the dole, four kids hanging off the state, another on the way, practically free lodging............... and Disneyland Paris once the Christmas festivities have died down.

Mod edit: Again, I ask you not to link to this woman's facebook (or indeed, any other social media site) page. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Eh wanna got off your cross there love!

I didn't specifically mention that child, read the post correctly! People drop terms like ADD and ADHD and OCD like they know exactly what it is. I've seen kids who can sit for longer than 20mins watching telly and their parents tell me their child has ADD or ADHD or whatever. If he/she did had ADD/ADHD the likelyhood of them watching telly for that long is remote, possible but remote, and when I ask what the doctor said, oh we didn't go to the doctor, but he/she is always running all over the place. ADD/ADHD prevents sleep, eating, can lead to depression in children, lack self control, self harm (in very extreme cases), in fact the list goes on and on an on. They are REAL disorder, and can have awful effects on a family. The point is, is that an active or badly behaved child does NOT indicate that have either of the disorders!

People hear terms and use them incorrectly, and usually say it as an excuse for the fact that their children are little toerags!

Very true, people label children too easily these days with ADHD, when it's just bad parenting, lack of rules & structures in the childs life.

My experience working with ADHD children is: Yes it's a real condition but it's also over diagonised.

It's amazing how some uncontrollable children labelled with ADHD, suddenly become controllable when you mention lunch time detention or other unpleasant consequences to their actions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Many people with kids on here? Fancy taking them all for a break in Disneyland Paris? What...can't afford it? lolololol

Don't worry, because Serinna took the kids! They had a great time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

El Weirdo wrote: »
    From Boards' new translate feature:

I think you are wrong to say i don't want poor people living near me. i had the same problem when i lived in limerick, 5 families were moved to our estate as part of the regeneration. they got houses bought from private sellers. they were given a small grant to do up the house. they pay a small charge for rent.

the kids then proceed to wreck the place. i had many times where i have found one of the older ones breaking into my shed or car and ran them off. they constantly were bringing up their friends to go drinking around the estate as the guards had less frequent visits to my estate as it was decent enough. they smashed glass all over the place and ran around screaming at night.

i don't think it is fair to say you don't want poor people living beside you, being poor is not the same as being poorly mannered or lacking the respect that should come with being given something for free and a chance to better yourself. you clearly do not have to live near people who get a free ride and have no concept of thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Many people with kids on here? Fancy taking them all for a break in Disneyland Paris? What...can't afford it? lolololol

Don't worry, because Serinna took the kids! They had a great time!!!

ha, what a scumbag. i have a seven year old itching to go and could not afford it unless i dont eat for a few months. maybe i should go on the dole, i have 2 kids and a 4 bed, how much would i get more a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement