Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**MOD NOTE UPDATED**Limerick woman complains about living in 3 bed house with 4 kids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

davet82 wrote: »
    how deluded is this guy... does he really think by going to a national newspaper and people reading his 'terrible' predicament which he brought on himself btw, will some how drum up sympathy for him and be given a bigger house that dosent exsist? More likely to lynched.

Seems to be quite high up there on the delusion- o-meter, he's nearly reaching teacher level:D:D I wonder would there be any jobs going in the public sector for him

Love the head and byline in the Examiner
    We want more babies but need a bigger council house’

An unemployed father of eight is demanding a bigger house from his local authority so he can have more children.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/we-want-more-babies-but-need-a-bigger-council-house-192006.html#ixzz1tF3G6dto

Are they joking?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

how deluded is this guy... does he really think by going to a national newspaper and people reading his 'terrible' predicament which he brought on himself btw, will some how drum up sympathy for him and be given a bigger house that dosent exsist? More likely to lynched.

I wish it was legal to just sterilise these 2 ****ing parasites. Sponging ****ing scumbags and nothing else to say about them.

Mod edit: User banned for this comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

micropig wrote: »
    "The truth is, I love having babies and my wife loves having babies. I’ll keep having babies."

a small orphanage wouldn't do this guy, let alone a bigger house! his statement is irresponsibility personified! honestly, if he likes having babies so much, perhaps he should give some thought to these children's future first, because they dont stay babies forever, and condemning them to a life of squalor and poverty just to satisfy his own inadequacies in other areas of his life is just short sighted selfishness! anyone can have children, but it takes a hell of a lot more to actually face up to the responsibility of providing for those children.

we've all fallen on hard times at one time or another, but social welfare is only a short term solution, and is not meant, like these people, as a lifestyle choice.

if these people had any pride in themselves or any glimmer of self respect, they would think twice about their choices, instead of making excuses for why they cant do this and that and the other. the media laps this crap up and throws it in our faces, most people are too busy to give a shíte, but sometimes, just sometimes, it does tick a nerve that angers me, especially when i think how i would've loved to have more children, but i couldnt afford to provide for them, and then this idiot comes out with 'i like having babies, and now i want a bigger house'.

im not normally one to advocate violence but i would love for this guy to chain himself to a gate rail outside the council offices, that way it'd make it far easier for me to walk up and give him an unmerciful kick in the stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

xsiborg wrote: »
    im not normally one to advocate violence but i would love for this guy to chain himself to a gate rail outside the council offices, that way it'd make it far easier for me to walk up and give him an unmerciful kick in the stones

your not going to believe this, but he actually has!

Jason Casey, who has been on a housing waiting list for 10 years, has staged a silent protest outside Limerick City Hall in Limerick for six weeks.

PS give him a kick in the nuts for me :cool:

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/we-want-more-babies-but-need-a-bigger-council-house-192006.html#ixzz1tFAuouws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Sappa wrote: »
    I think this hard working woman is caught in an awful situation,imagine her kids sharing a room in 2012 and another babee on the way sure the house will be mayhem.
    Having paid her taxes I am sure she should expect a decent liveable house,everyday she goes out into the world grafting a living for her family and the government turn their backs to her.
    That's 5 kids who will be paying the taxes of the future and the woman is doing a duty to society by populating Moyross with future workers who will pay for the pensions of the present day loungers and politicians.
    She is only looking for every entitlement she is owed and hasn't she paid enough into the system to warrant that.

that is a good joke, Jimmy Carr would be proud!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

allibastor wrote: »
    I think this hard working woman is caught in an awful situation,imagine her kids sharing a room in 2012 and another babee on the way sure the house will be mayhem.
    Having paid her taxes I am sure she should expect a decent liveable house,everyday she goes out into the world grafting a living for her family and the government turn their backs to her.
    That's 5 kids who will be paying the taxes of the future and the woman is doing a duty to society by populating Moyross with future workers who will pay for the pensions of the present day loungers and politicians.
    She is only looking for every entitlement she is owed and hasn't she paid enough into the system to warrant that.

that is a good joke, Jimmy Carr would be proud!!!!
    Yepp thought I would bring a bit of sarcasm to the thread although some didn't get it.

Yepp thought I would bring a bit of sarcasm to the thread although some didn't get it.

use emoticons sap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

use emoticons sap :rolleyes:
    I hate them lol and clearly this woman is just milking our system.
    Both myself and the wife work full time and aren't even thinking of kids for a long way off as we simply cannot afford one now never mind 5.
    These people are just daft in my opinion,more kids more problems more expense it's not that tough to figure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

"Our Constitution says that we, the people, are entitled to adequate housing, and that’s all I want."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jobless-dad-of-eight-criticises-limerick-council-over-housing-549255.html#ixzz1tFHFB7tl

There's a sense of Entitlement for you.

--
    Now not talking about anyone in particular but, if the kids are not being cared for correctly then perhaps they should be removed from the house.

If 5 kids sharing the one room is reason enough to get a bigger house then surely the person making the argument for a new house would agree that it's not right to have them in that condition.

Take the kids and cut their payments.

• Advertisement

Mossess wrote: »

i like your style... tough but fair :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah, stick 'em in the care system. That'll save the state money, alright....

I don't think that's a good final solution, long term

I actually think it would.

I actually think it would.

Foster carers get paid between €312 and €339 a week per child by the state.

And the house they want will cost about 300,000 and the payments for 5 to 8 kids will cost how much a year? Add on top of that the dole.

• Advertisement

Think of the money that would be saved when spongers like this fella realise ya cant keep poppin kids out cause ya like having them but couldnt be arsed paying for them

And the house they want will cost about 300,000 and the payments for 5 to 8 kids will cost how much a year? Add on top of that the dole.

The house would already exist - he's not saying he wants the state to build him a new house!

A person on jobseekers allowance with 8 children would currently be getting approximately €426 a week. Compare that to what it would cost the state to foster those children @ between €312-339 per child per week and he'd still also be getting the dole for himself.

Doesn't look like the cheaper option to me.

The house would already exist - he's not saying he wants the state to build him a new house!

A person on jobseekers allowance with 8 children would currently be getting approximately €426 a week. Compare that to what it would cost the state to foster those children @ between €312-339 per child per week and he'd still also be getting the dole for himself.

Doesn't look like the cheaper option to me.

The house still has to be paid for. They don't grow on free trees.
    And as davet82 said, it would stop others from doing the same. In the long term it would save money. It would also mean that the current crop of children would have better lives too.

Think of the money that would be saved when spongers like this fella realise ya cant keep poppin kids out cause ya like having them but couldnt be arsed paying for them

I agree this guy is irresponsible to keep having kids he can't afford. However, I also think it's ridiculous to suggest those kids should be put into care just because 5 of them have to share a room.

I agree this guy is irresponsible to keep having kids he can't afford. However, I also think it's ridiculous to suggest those kids should be put into care just because 5 of them have to share a room.

in reality no its not gonna happen but somethings gotta give with people like this. i'm sure there are lots of people who are working want more children but they cant afford it or they're stuck in some 1 bed apartment in a blackhole of negitive equity so if you are a moron like this fella it seems to be an option as the taxpayer will sort it out.

idk any suggetions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

Wow. The level of delusion in this thread is something else. Many families in Ireland grew up in council houses. Or ex-council houses that were sold on favourable terms to tenants. Why the hell were these parents even procreating?! Free houses I tell ye. (That the level and quality of council housing has declined in the last 20 years, whilst housing lists have exploded in local authority areas is another story altogether).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I'm sorry but i'd love to sit around all day procreating and knowing that the more successful i was at it, the bigger a gaff I could get.

It should be a case of the more kids you have the less space you're gonna end up. Welcome to the real world fella.

These two articles sum up the impossible task that the government is facing in balancing the books - every allowance and benefit that the Bertie-era heaped on these people will be fought tooth and nail.

As a taxpayer (and a bigger one by the year it seems), I feel we should look after the most vulnerable in society.

However, they should be given enough to keep them from destitution - not to wallow in luxury.

I personally would love to have a brood as big as that, but not in a million years would i be able to afford it with creche fees, school fees, and all the other things John Q (the Mug) Taxpayer has to cover to keep kids running while we slave in work.

Shame on the Examiner for highlighting this fella's plight - there's more deserving out there who's story needs to be told.

in reality no its not gonna happen but somethings gotta give with people like this. i'm sure there are lots of people who are working want more children but they cant afford it or they're stuck in some 1 bed apartment in a blackhole of negitive equity so if you are a moron like this fella it seems to be an option as the taxpayer will sort it out.

idk any suggetions?

I honestly don't know how you can legislate on the amount of children someone has based on their income. It's a fine line between financially discouraging people to continue having children you can't afford without plunging those children into poverty.

I would most probably start with affordable creches and after school care, to allow single parents to work outside the home. Perhaps putting more money into jobs initiatives, training and apprenticeships for the long-term unemployed. This money could come from means testing child benefit, instead of making it a universal payment.

What about 1st off saying that nothing above a 3 bedroom house will be given, then applying normal assessment to the situation to see if its suitable for the children to live in. If it’s not then take them out of it. And I don’t mean remove 3 of the kids and then drop them up to the grandparents, and then pay the grandparents a grand a week to mind them as happens at the moment (oh did I mention that scam??)

I honestly don't know how you can legislate on the amount of children someone has based on their income. It's a fine line between financially discouraging people to continue having children you can't afford without plunging those children into poverty.

People can have as many children as they want....but they should only get a three bedroom house, If they want to pack them in, they can..after all, who are we to tell them how to live.
    And I don’t mean remove 3 of the kids and then drop them up to the grandparents, and then pay the grandparents a grand a week to mind them as happens at the moment (oh did I mention that scam??)

Please tell us more:pac:

The guy in Limerick is clearing over €45,000/year cash from the state

And he has free medical & cheap housing on top of that.............. and he wants more:rolleyes:

What about 1st off saying that nothing above a 3 bedroom house will be given

thats the only thing that will work imo.

if most people in an average job decided to have 8 children, they'd probably only be able to afford the same size house, so if you dont work why should you reap the benifits of something the working man cannot afford?

Please tell us more:pac:

It’s been going on for years up and down the country. A mother phones the health service, says she going to lose it with the kids, come quick and take them away. They turn up and hand the kids over to the grandmother. The grandmother then gets an emergency foster care, and allowances, for the kids. The mother then moves back in with the grandmother and the payments stay in place.

It’s been going on for years up and down the country. A mother phones the health service, says she going to lose it with the kids, come quick and take them away. They turn up and hand the kids over to the grandmother. The grandmother then gets an emergency foster care, and allowances, for the kids. The mother then moves back in with the grandmother and the payments stay in place.

Wow :(That's interesting. I wonder if we could get numbers, even on the amount of grandparents who fostered would be interesting to see.

I'm too well up on all the scams myself. There is always someone one step ahead on how to scam.

*runs off to google furiously:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

thewing wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i'd love to sit around all day procreating and knowing that the more successful i was at it, the bigger a gaff I could get.

It should be a case of the more kids you have the less space you're gonna end up. Welcome to the real world fella.

These two articles sum up the impossible task that the government is facing in balancing the books - every allowance and benefit that the Bertie-era heaped on these people will be fought tooth and nail.

As a taxpayer (and a bigger one by the year it seems), I feel we should look after the most vulnerable in society.

However, they should be given enough to keep them from destitution - not to wallow in luxury.

I personally would love to have a brood as big as that, but not in a million years would i be able to afford it with creche fees, school fees, and all the other things John Q (the Mug) Taxpayer has to cover to keep kids running while we slave in work.

Shame on the Examiner for highlighting this fella's plight - there's more deserving out there who's story needs to be told.

i completely agree we need to look after the vulnerable in our society, now more than ever, and i spend some of my free time working with the homeless.

However there's a difference between the vulnerable in society and the leeches who choose not to work, who come from generations of social welfare claimants, who know the ins and outs of the social welfare system who can afford to take their family on foreign holidays on a regular basis. It is these people that Joan Burton and her department need to tackle, the leeches that have never had an interest in working or providing for their families.

Why are successive governments afraid to cut social welfare? And I mean seriously afraid?

• Advertisement

from 2008

Approximately 32% of children/young people in care today are in relative care, i.e. living with grandparents, aunts, uncles or other family members.

There are currently about 4,500 children in foster care in Ireland.(2012)

I don't know:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Why are successive governments afraid to cut social welfare? And I mean seriously afraid?
    Its a huge vote.
    Its not just social welfare though. Farmers get payouts, students get payouts, pensions etc. The far reaching implications of just cutting SW is huge and affects everyone on some sort of payment from the government.

I have to agree with you though. It does seem scandalous that people aren't means tested to tackle this issue.

We need to protect the 'poor & disadvantaged' in society.;)

We need to protect the 'poor & disadvantaged' in society.;)

LOL, by the 'poor & disadvantaged' I'm assuming your talking about the people with jobs paying their own way, and paying for people to take their holidays in Spain?

LOL, by the 'poor & disadvantaged' I'm assuming your talking about the people with jobs paying their own way, and paying for people to take their holidays in Spain?

No, no, no, not those suckers:D..The real poor & disadvantaged, the ones on holidays in Spain:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think cutting social welfare can actually be sort of damaging to an economy. People on social welfare generally spend all their money and generally all of it in Ireland.

The other side of the coin is it keeps a balanced level of standard of living. I would hate for things to be like in America. People with absolutely no support become desperate and increasingly dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I was prepared to give this fella the benefit of the doubt, but having read the article he does not deserve it.

Lets just, for arguments sake, take the example of an average PAYE worker, at least, one fifth of their wages goes directly to PAYE and the Universal Social Charge - that's one day a week, every week working just to subsidise what these people feel that they are entitled to, and they still want more, more bedrooms, more children, just more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No one has ever really demanded we cut welfare really. During the boom people were earning well and didn't give a sh*t so the government just kept raising the rates in order to buy votes. Plus cutting welfare across the board isn't the answer. Not everyone should be cut, just people like this with more kids than morals.

"Why should we have to manage" is just a brilliant quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

"Why should we have to manage" is just a brilliant quote.

That's the one that got me:mad::mad::mad:.

bamboozle wrote: »
    i completely agree we need to look after the vulnerable in our society, now more than ever, and i spend some of my free time working with the homeless.

However there's a difference between the vulnerable in society and the leeches who choose not to work, who come from generations of social welfare claimants, who know the ins and outs of the social welfare system who can afford to take their family on foreign holidays on a regular basis. It is these people that Joan Burton and her department need to tackle, the leeches that have never had an interest in working or providing for their families.

The only issue with this is, it is not as black and white as fraud. How do you class one case as a sponger and another as hard luck?

In fairness - these conversations only echo those of the eighties - sponger was practically the name give to every dole recipient back then.

I think we need to revamp the framework to make welfare uncomfortable enough for people not to see it as a long term solution but comfortable enough to survive. The sense of entitlement should evaporate then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

'The truth is, I love having babies and my wife loves having babies. I’ll keep having babies."

You gonna pay for them then?

We already are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We are yes :mad:

cloud493 wrote: »
    We are yes :mad:

but they deserve it, they're disadvantaged
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Am I not entitled to have childeren??????????????????????????

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Am I not entitled to have childeren??????????????????????????

no. you ruined your chance the day you got a job. bad move i'm afraid.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

cadaliac wrote: »
    Its a huge vote.
    Its not just social welfare though. Farmers get payouts, students get payouts, pensions etc. The far reaching implications of just cutting SW is huge and affects everyone on some sort of payment from the government.

I have to agree with you though. It does seem scandalous that people aren't means tested to tackle this issue.

1) Are you referring to Farm Assist? That is the only "farmer payout" from the Irish State and is delivered through the social welfare system. And it is means tested.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW27/Pages/1WhatisFarmAssist.aspx

Did you make a genuine mistake or do you just like talking about stuff that you have no clue about?

2) What payouts do students get? There used to be grants but again they were means assessed off the parents income. And the rates were far far less than the dole.

3) Pensions etc. Are you referring to any particular pension or type of pension? I presume you don't mean that students get pensions although your sentence structure actually implies that they do!

yore wrote: »
    1) Are you referring to Farm Assist? That is the only "farmer payout" from the Irish State and is delivered through the social welfare system. And it is means tested.

Did you make a genuine mistake or do you just like talking about stuff that you have no clue about?

2) What payouts do students get? There used to be grants but again they were means assessed off the parents income. And the rates were far far less than the dole.

3) Pensions etc. Are you referring to any particular pension or type of pension? I presume you don't mean that students get pensions although your sentence structure actually implies that they do!
    lets ignore the fact that students and farmers are actually productive members of society, are the grants they recieve to the tune of 40000+/year with free housing and medical thrown in? i think not

yore wrote: »

lets ignore the fact that students and farmers are actually productive members of society, are the grants they recieve to the tune of 40000+/year with free housing and medical thrown in on top? i think not

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement