Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking electricity meter reading when leaving

Options
  • 23-04-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I had to leave my rented house last month, my landlord agreed to give my deposit back 2 weeks after leaving. Today I receive a call stating my deposit has been used to cover my notice period (fair enough) and that I owe the ESB. To be obligated to pay the ESB, does the landlord have to have taken the meter reading on the day I moved out, I don't think he has.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It's not up to the landlord to read the meter when you leave. You should do that and then ring the ESB with the meter reading and close the account, giving them your new address so they can send you your final bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The ESB is in the landlord's name, he always got the bill first (delivered to him) and then passed it onto us to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Hes taken my deposit to pay my rent for the notice period, now hes threatening me for the ESB via phone. I've requested a copy of the bill in writing, but it hasn't been sent. Do I have to pay it? Hes left me 270 in arrears from having to pay a UPC cancellation fee charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You/he should have taken and agreed the final meter reading on the day that you moved out. You can then calculate from this how much you owe him from the last bill.

Failing this the only way I can see to resolve this is to estimate the average usage per day of the bill and then pay for the number of days you were still in the place.

Of course you have to pay for the ESB you used up until the time you moved out; is this what you are questioning, or do you feel that he is overcharging you for the amount that you used?

Advertisement