Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensors for a room

Options
  • 23-04-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    Hoping someone could steer me in the right direction here and save us a few quid in bills. At work we have a first floor display area that has lights on all day. This room is upstairs and most of the time there is nobody there; staff or customers and to save on electricity bills we were thinking that we should install some sensor switches so that the lights are only on when there is someone in the room.

What we want is for a sensor to be pointing down the stairs to the first floor room that would turn on all the lights when someone started coming up the stairs and keep them on for say 3 minutes or for as long as there was someone still in the room after they entered the room from the stairs "trigger area" (might need two sensors for that maybe?).

Similar I suppose to hotels where the lights in a corridor come on or a toilet area. The load for this room is about 1Kw.

Can this sort of system be retrofitted to the original switches or would the whole room have to be rewired? ANyone done something like it or can point me in the direction of what would be needed before I go and get a sparky for the job.

THanks for any input you may have.
    Cf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A PIR supplied and fitted should cost about 80 Euro. What type of bulbs are you using, perhaps you could change these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Well in theory it is a simple enough job, find the switch wire feeding the lights (this would be going to the wall switch that you use to turn on the lights) hence the term "switch wire". Next pick up a permanent phase and Neutral,bring all of these wires to your sensor. There will be a terminal block which will have 3 connections on it. These will be "Live in" neutral and "live out". The live out is the switch wire that you will have picked up from the wall switch,you can also likely get your live in or permanent phase from the same switch, unless its a 2 way switch with no phase.
    The trick is to do this without having to extend cabling to reach your sensor which would be a distinct possibility unless you are lucky.
    My advice, get a registered sparks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

ted1 wrote: »
    A PIR supplied and fitted should cost about 80 Euro. What type of bulbs are you using, perhaps you could change these too.

Hmmm I dont know where lads pull these prices from but i would think they would be doing very well to get a contractor out to supply and fit a pir for €80.

If I lived next door to the place and had no more than an hours hardship I`d think about doing it for €80 on the hope of getting some more work out of them..

Things are tight out there but people still have to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's the price I've gotten off various people. 50 for labour and 30 for part. Often the part is got for cheaper.

What would you charge, what area do you work? Are you industrial or residential?

• Advertisement
Advertisement