Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advce please - PC wont turn on

Options
  • 23-04-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hi I just got my new pv from hardwareversand. I got it pre built cause I was afraid I'd wreck something.

Anyway I plugged it in powered it up and it just lets out a grunting noise and poweres off in the space of a second. The CPU fan trys to spin but doesn't even start. Any advice. Heres the thread with my build

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056590906

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

have you checked no parts came loose?

Also that all the wires/power leads are plugged in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Hi I just got my new pv from hardwareversand. I got it pre built cause I was afraid I'd wreck something.

Anyway I plugged it in powered it up and it just lets out a grunting noise and poweres off in the space of a second. The CPU fan trys to spin but doesn't even start. Any advice. Heres the thread with my build

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056590906
    Stuff gets knocked about in transit, so you might want to open it up and check everything, 24 pin, 4+4 CPU, CPU fan etc... If it still isn't working you could take it out and just put the mobo on its own, then just have one stick of RAM in and see how it goes. Don't worry though, I doubt it's a big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

NeVeR wrote: »
    have you checked no parts came loose?

Also that all the wires/power leads are plugged in ?

yup i've checked every wire. The cd drive is the grunt noise. My only thought is that the motherboard or the processor is fecked already which I will not be happy about

Eboggles wrote: »
    Stuff gets knocked about in transit, so you might want to open it up and check everything, 24 pin, 4+4 CPU, CPU fan etc... If it still isn't working you could take it out and just put the mobo on its own, then just have one stick of RAM in and see how it goes. Don't worry though, I doubt it's a big thing.

The thing is with that is I got it pre build for a reason because I knew I'd mess things up on my own. If I start going at it then Im afraid I'll make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

unplug the CD drive and try again.

• Advertisement

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Eboggles wrote: »

The thing is with that is I got it pre build for a reason because I knew I'd mess things up on my own. If I start going at it then Im afraid I'll make it worse
    Don't worry, nothing will happen. If you're really not confident about messing about in there, maybe just open the side panel and take a few photos.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    unplug the CD drive and try again.
    That happened to me before, but I feel it that was a one off :D.

I dunno how but I fixed it. Unplugged each wire then plugged them back in. Dunno which one it was but it worked. Thanks anyway lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it happens to me on EVERY build I do. you put it together, prey to the tech God's, (usually Alan Turing), turn it on, and nothing. get angry, unplug everything, put it back in and it magically works, without ever knowing the problem.

doesn't even matter how careful you are the first time.

have fun!

Advertisement