Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia - Bring the guns of sell them?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

I am moving to WA in a few months. I have three guns 2 rifles and a shotgun, none very valuable, should I flog them here for what I can get and start again in oz or join a club over there get licensed and have them shipped over? Has anyone here any idea of how difficult and expensive this would be? Any experience anyone has gratefully accecpted!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Might be handier to just get some new ones in OZ. you will have to be there a while before you can get licences id say

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Might be handier to just get some new ones in OZ. you will have to be there a while before you can get licences id say

Apparently have to own your own house too, was talking to an Australian relative last night about it. Sounds much more difficult than our system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

yeah I heard from a good friend of mine over there that the system is a lot worse than ours or there's stricter requirements or something :confused:

jesus I thought nowhere could be any worse than here :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sell them and start fresh when you get there.

There are prohibitions and restrictions on the types of firearms allowed to be owned/licensed in AussieLand, and frankly the cost of shipping could be more than the guns are worth.

Just my 2 cent.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have been talking to some lads over there and it appears to be a similarly strict licensing system, there is a club in the town I am going to so I will be joining that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

as far as i know your rifles will not be any good dow there because of the twist in the barrel. your barrel will have a right hand twist where as down there its left hand twists.

Huh?

Not being smart, as i have been known to miss the blatantly obvious, but how is that an issue?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I think thats water going down a plug hole in the sink you are on about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

surely the magnetism of the poles and all that isn't the deciding factor when rifling a barrel

Ghost. wrote: »
    The Simpsons. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Ezridax wrote: »
    Ghost. wrote: »
    The Simpsons. :D
    Now ya got it lad! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

Generally manufacturers create a twist that is clockwise causing the bullet to spin clockwise which is harmonic with the physics of of northern hemispherical rotational dynamics. The effect of being in resonance with this dynamic imparts accuracy and range beyond the intrinsic characteristics of the load.

On the other hand, a barrel engineered with the northern hemispherical bias to a clockwise rifling is out of harmony with the counter rotational dynamics of the southern hemisphere. In this case, range and accuracy are diminished in direct relation to the increased distance from the equator toward the southern pole. In other words, the barrel twist and the resulting bullet spin is out of harmony with southern hemisphere rotational dynamics. Spin and velocity are proportionally degraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

as far as i know your rifles will not be any good dow there because of the twist in the barrel. your barrel will have a right hand twist where as down there its left hand twists.

One of his guns is a shotgun, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But he'll have to use it as an under & over rather than an over & under.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thats one surely for Mythbusters!!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

lived there for 5 years,

The obsticles to firearms ownership are less , application for firearm is very transparent.

you do not need to own a property but you may need permission to put in a gun cabinet in a rented property. (not a safe but a cabinet)
    i rented for a while but never got round to telling the landlord :)

Semiautos including 22 are essentially no- no ,as are moderators and pump action shotguns but not pum action rifles:rolleyes:

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/PoliceLicensingServices/Firearms2/Licenceapplications/tabid/1905/Default.aspx

try ssaa.org.au

or pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mr Mullen is correct.

The British Army found out the hard way when they went to war in southern Africa with their right-hand twist Lee-Enfields back at the turn of the 19th century. Then, it was customary for companies and even battalions of infantry to fire long-range volleying fire, as the provision of long-range volley sights to early marks of Lee-Enfield would readily demonstrate from the extreme range markings of ~2400 yards . This feature was removed in the Mark III* version during the middle of WW1, BTW.

The RH twist of the Lee-Enfield barrel PLUS the opposition coriolis effect of shooting south of the equator made a stupendous difference to the volley-type fire - accounts note that bullet strikes could be as much as 100 yards - sometimes more - to the left of the intended target zone due to the magnified precession of the bullet inducing unwanted drift into the equation.

The problem was solved by the introduction of a somewhat offset rear sight - known as the South African rear sight, which can be found on some surviving guns from that era.

And yes, water DOES go down the plughole in the opposite direction.

tac
    vcrai.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sell them start again, make sure you know all the ins and outs. I remember reading of an English fella who moved with his guns. There was an omission in the paperwork, nearly lost his house and he was extremely lucky to stay out of jail, he was telling the story himself so it's not a friend of a friend type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Thanks for the advice lads, damn the coloris effect!! Strangely that came up in some of my lectures on wind energy this year!!! oh well!! I'd better get a few photos together and try to flog them!!!

Chiprus PM on they way tks!! I was talking via email to a lad in the SSAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I heard there are problems with semi's have a look here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia , I know its wiki but it is a good place to start, look at category C & D.
    Ouch thats tough!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Yea semi auto long rifles and shotguns are essentially banned. You can get them if you are a farmer but you are not allowed take them off the farm.
    Moderators are also banned. Pistols are allowed though.
    Ironically 10/22 rifles are banned but not 10/22 pistols!

That said the process is pretty simple. No waiting six months only to find the paperwork has not even been submitted.
    4 weeks for license process, 6 weeks to acquire a firearm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement