Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

pc11 wrote: »
    Did you have to beg them or was it no big deal?

I was tied up with a crazy workload in March, maybe I could get them to take pity. Or I could contact the admissions office in the college and beg them to consider it.

honestly it was no big deal, the big deal was if i was registered with the cao! i even made her go off and check with the cao manager and he confirmed it was fine for me to send it in for the july date! but as i said dont hold me to it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Did you have to beg them or was it no big deal? The fact they have to meet in July for the new grads does show that it's only then the final decision on eligibility happens.

I was tied up with a crazy workload in March, maybe I could get them to take pity. Or I could contact the admissions office in the college and beg them to consider it.

It's no big deal. I'm a UCC GEM, I sent my transcripts in after I got my GAMSAT score in May. They sent me a nice reminder letter to let me know I still needed to send them documentation and that July was the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Tazzle wrote: »
    It's no big deal. I'm a UCC GEM, I sent my transcripts in after I got my GAMSAT score in May.

Hey Tazzle

Can I ask you what UCC GEM is like? There is very little info about the course on boards.. Can you tell me, how you find it, what's the layout of the course and the group demographics...?

It would be very appreciated!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

demure wrote: »
    Hey Tazzle

Can I ask you what UCC GEM is like? There is very little info about the course on boards.. Can you tell me, how you find it, what's the layout of the course and the group demographics...?

It would be very appreciated!

Howdy, I'm just finishing up year 3 now. Here's something I wrote in 2011, so it's a bit dated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72968620&postcount=8

I think class size is ~75 now. They've made a good few adjustments to the course, I'm not really up to par on what's going on in Years 1&2 anymore. There's a bit of a disconnect from the academic side after Christmas of Year 2 because you join the direct entry stream on full time clinical rotations.

Oh and demographics, all over, ~40% Canadian, ~10% US, 50% Irish. Off the top of my head we have people from Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Follow up on missing the transcript deadline: I rang the CAO and they said the colleges will look at the documents in July so I'm ok, BUT he said they will NOT do that after this year so take that as a warning!

I do think it's a little unfair to have a deadline in July for 2013 grads and March for older grads, but there you go.

• Advertisement

Follow up on missing the transcript deadline: I rang the CAO and they said the colleges will look at the documents in July so I'm ok, BUT he said they will NOT do that after this year so take that as a warning!

I do think it's a little unfair to have a deadline in July for 2013 grads and March for older grads, but there you go.

but new grads dont get their parchment and full transcripts until the complete their exams etc, which wont be until may time......sure they wont even know they have the required 2.1 until then, makes sense to split the submissions as its a lot of applications to go through!

Tazzle wrote: »
    Howdy, I'm just finishing up year 3 now. Here's something I wrote in 2011, so it's a bit dated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72968620&postcount=8

I think class size is ~75 now. They've made a good few adjustments to the course, I'm not really up to par on what's going on in Years 1&2 anymore. There's a bit of a disconnect from the academic side after Christmas of Year 2 because you join the direct entry stream on full time clinical rotations.

Oh and demographics, all over, ~40% Canadian, ~10% US, 50% Irish. Off the top of my head we have people from Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Roscommon

taz are you final 2 years 100% clinical/hospital based like UL?

nerrad01 wrote: »
    but new grads dont get their parchment and full transcripts until the complete their exams etc, which wont be until may time......sure they wont even know they have the required 2.1 until then, makes sense to split the submissions as its a lot of applications to go through!

Yup, then making it July for everyone would be fair. I know some older people would like an early confirmation of eligibility for their planning, so they could continue the existing way, just let people submit for March OR for July. Effectively that's what happens now anyway, just regularise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 IEMedAp

I must have read that information leaflet 10 times and the 15th March deadline never registered. Shows how much attention I was paying.

As such, I have no idea when I sent off my diploma supplement and GAMSAT scores, but I assume it was before 15th March!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Yup, then making it July for everyone would be fair. I know some older people would like an early confirmation of eligibility for their planning, so they could continue the existing way, just let people submit for March OR for July. Effectively that's what happens now anyway, just regularise it.

That would be a mess. The reason why it's split is for convenience. CAO also has thousands of undergrad applications to process so it's very fair. If the deadline was July I doubt people would be rushing to submit it by March 15. It helps everyone out. I really don't see any problems with March 15th if you already graduated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 IEMedAp

Email from CAO today.

Apparently I need to submit proof of my EU status and a certified copy of my 'parchment', even though I was not asked for either of these things originally?

CAO does not seem to be a very efficient organisation.

I come with good news (I think :S) I was in contact with the woman in charge of GradMed loans yesterday in BOI at UCD. So the first thing is that the fees have a very high chance of increasing. The full terms won't be released until July for the gradmed loan but she has a fairly good idea of what to expect. She said as the loan won't cover any increase in GradMed fees over the 4 years and that we have to cover the difference ourselves. She roughly estimated that by the time we are finished (4 years) the fees will increase over time and we should be prepared to cover 4,000e difference over the 4 years (worst case scenario). I don't even think it will be that much but who knows I guess. Of course we won't know till July if the grad fees are going up again but she was really confident that they were.

Bad News:

1) There is no way you will even be considered for the loan if;

- You haven't been a permanent resident in Ireland for the past 10 years. (You will be asked for proof)

- If you're in debt or arrears with Bank of Ireland or any other bank for that matter. (Background checks are performed)

- If you* have substantial mortgage payments.

- If you have completed an undergraduate degree anywhere outside the Rep. of Ireland. (This includes the Queens Uni and UK)

Good News:

Last year there were between 60-64 applications for the GradMed loan. 57 were approved (That's what she told me anyways) :)
    That was kind of nice to hear. One was refused based on age and circumstance (Had dependants, i.e kids in his household), one based on his/her age ( I think she said 35+), one with bad credit rating and one who had a mortgage on a house already and a couple for failure to produce a guarantor.

I don't know about you guys but 57 is a good percentage of successful applications.

Now let's see... what else. Oh, they take into account your undergraduate degree (not the result but what you have a degree in). She said some degrees have a lower risk factor and can secure employment more easily if something goes wrong. The criteria people are assessed on is;

Credit history, past loans, current loans, your age, employment (if you graduated before 2013, especially if you don't have a guarantor), your undergrad degree, dependance, marital status and that's all I can remember.

She said if you qualify for application (by meeting the minimum requirements listed above; 10yrs in ireland, no arrears, undergrad in ireland etc) then you have a chance and the reason anyone might fail otherwise if they have a few high risk factors on the other criteria. She said the most useful (non essential) thing you should have is a guarantor. I asked a lot of questions as you might gather.
    In the case of no guarantor your employment history will make or break you (full time/part time, job/career, degree etc).

Anyways, hope that was of some use. Apart from the Minimum requirements to be considered you can take the rest with a pinch of salt I guess, because it's down to the underwriters then I suppose.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Let's say you get an offer of a place on GEM in one of the four universities, you accept that offer, but then find out that you haven't been accepted for a loan. Can you then defer your place on the program or do you have to fully pull yourself out of the program?

gh1 wrote: »
    Let's say you get an offer of a place on GEM in one of the four universities, you accept that offer, but then find out that you haven't been accepted for a loan. Can you then defer your place on the program or do you have to fully pull yourself out of the program?

Sadly you can't even apply for the loan until you Accept the offer. So proof of choice isn't an option. You can't defer grad med. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do in that situation is apply next year. Bank of Ireland covers the Dublin Universities so if you don't get accepted for the branch in UCD you don't have much chance for the RCSI branch because it goes to the same underwriters.

But what if you accept the place, you're ready to start med, and only after that point do the bank tell you you're not getting the money, do you simply just have to drop out? I was sure people could defer their place, that's a bit disconcerting!

Hypnos wrote: »
    Sadly you can't even apply for the loan until you Accept the offer. So proof of choice isn't an option. You can't defer grad med. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do in that situation is apply next year. Bank of Ireland covers the Dublin Universities so if you don't get accepted for the branch in UCD you don't have much chance for the RCSI branch because it goes to the same underwriters.

Really? I had understood that you had to have the offer to apply for the loan, which is then processed in 3-4 days which gives you time to accept the offer then.

And you can indeed defer, at least as far the colleges are concerned. They may only allow a small number of deferrals but they do allow it.

gh1 wrote: »
    But what if you accept the place, you're ready to start med, and only after that point do the bank tell you you're not getting the money, do you simply just have to drop out? I was sure people could defer their place, that's a bit disconcerting!

You can't defer gradmed places as far as I know. Yeh you have to drop out. It happened to a couple of people. They tell you usually 2 weeks before the semester starts. Yeh you can defer undergrad med. Gradmed as far as I know you can't and I'm sure I've read a thread where couple of people tried.

Really? I had understood that you had to have the offer to apply for the loan, which is then processed in 3-4 days which gives you time to accept the offer then.

And you can indeed defer, at least as far the colleges are concerned. They may only allow a small number of deferrals but they do allow it.

Nope. That's one thing im 1000% sure on and I asked that at BOI as well. You need proof of acceptance before you can apply. You can hardly be considered for a loan with BOI UCD if you didn't even accept the place. This is the one thing I can tell you with not a single doubt in my mind that you cannot do that. You have to accept before you send your loan application.

Nope. That's one thing im 1000% sure on and I asked that at BOI as well. You need proof of acceptance before you can apply. You can hardly be considered for a loan with BOI UCD if you didn't even accept the place. This is the one thing I can tell you with not a single doubt in my mind that you cannot do that. You have to accept before you send your loan application.

Ok, not doubting you, it's just I was given a different understanding. I actually don't see how it would be a problem applying for the loan with just the offer, to be honest. I can't quite understand how they would need you to accept it to apply for the loan. In practice, it doesn't really matter as you can accept and pull out a week or 2 later.

And you certainly can apply for a deferral: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721710

It's just they will only allow 3 or 4. I think RCSI might allow 1 or 2 to do it.

EDIT: what is really the problem here is that you might get turned by BOI and then it's too late to fall back to UL where Ulster Bank are slightly more generous and won't normally require a guarantor. If only there was a way to hedge but I'm pretty certain it can't be done.

Ok, not doubting you, it's just I was given a different understanding. I actually don't see how it would be a problem applying for the loan with just the offer, to be honest. I can't quite understand how they would need you to accept it to apply for the loan. In practice, it doesn't really matter as you can accept and pull out a week or 2 later.

And you certainly can apply for a deferral: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721710

It's just they will only allow 3 or 4. I think RCSI might allow 1 or 2 to do it.

EDIT: what is really the problem here is that you might get turned by BOI and then it's too late to fall back to UL where Ulster Bank are slightly more generous and won't normally require a guarantor. If only there was a way to hedge but I'm pretty certain it can't be done.

Ahh I stand corrected on the deferrals. I just know I read somewhere on these forums that they were told they couldn't defer gradmed.
    I completely understand the problem there but I don't think that it's an issue. UL does have the most flexible loans but you don't know that for this coming year. Grace at BOI made it abundantly clear because that was one of the specific questions I asked. She gave me a reason but I can't remember it now for the life of me. They do have some logic with the need for the acceptance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

is it possible to reapply for the loan in second year if youre refused in first?
    is the loan amount fixed or do they tailor to your needs?

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    is it possible to reapply for the loan in second year if youre refused in first?

It's very fixed @ 59,660e. You get to choose whether you take out 7K+ and pay UCD by semester or take the 15K sum per year.

I really have no idea if it's possible to reapply in the second year. If you can fund one year, best ask them for 15K less and fund the final year yourself. Might be the difference between an acceptance and refusal.

WoolahUrma wrote: »

You could ask, but I have the understanding it's an all or nothing situation. Of course if your circumstances change considerably, it may be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

I just decided a few weeks ago to sit GAMSAT hoping for a 2014 entry and I'm focused on sitting and getting the result I need in the UK this September. Anyone else looking at 2014 prep?

I've ready numerous threads and can't quite get my head around what I should be reading for Chemistry. I have no science background (does JC science count!?) and have started making my way through a leaving cert chemistry book and have also ordered Organic Chemistry I for dummies. Does this sound like enough material? It's not that I want to do the bare minimum, it's more about not wanting to over read for this section and not leave time for sample tests/questions (and all the other sections!) Thanks for any advice.

letsdothis wrote: »
    I just decided a few weeks ago to sit GAMSAT hoping for a 2014 entry and I'm focused on sitting and getting the result I need in the UK this September. Anyone else looking at 2014 prep?

I've ready numerous threads and can't quite get my head around what I should be reading for Chemistry. I have no science background (does JC science count!?) and have started making my way through a leaving cert chemistry book and have also ordered Organic Chemistry I for dummies. Does this sound like enough material? It's not that I want to do the bare minimum, it's more about not wanting to over read for this section and not leave time for sample tests/questions (and all the other sections!) Thanks for any advice.

I did Chemistry for the LC and now I'm in my final year of chemistry in Uni. Having seen all the ACER papers and sat the GAMSAT in 2012 and 2013, I can tell you that LC chemistry is next to useless. It can help you understand some harder concepts but the chemistry in the GAMSAT is university level. There were questions on the GAMSAT that I covered in 2,3 and 4th year in my chemistry degree (Mainly 3rd and 4th year) so having a good knowledge of chemistry really helps but LC chem won't really help you. You're best of buying a a book called "Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry" - McMurry. You can get it for 15e second hand no problem. I happen to have 2 copies of it and it covers the principals of first and second year organic chem.

There is also physical chemistry on the exam and that is 1st/2nd year standard at uni so it definitely isn't at a standard as high as O. Chem on the GAMSAT. Not too much inorganic chemistry at all. Certain concepts in chemistry such as Spectroscopy, Diels Alder type chem and carbohydrates come up quite often and they are covered in most university text books but just the basics. You learn it in much more detail in the final years. I know questions that came up this year I only covered in Semester 1, 4th year. That's not to say you can't figure out the answer from deducing the information you're give, but knowing these things helps a lot.

If I were you, I would just learn all the basic concepts in O.Chem and Physchem and then practise at extrapolating relevant information from the material you're not familiar with and that you probably won't study. Biology you can't really study for so I don't know what to tell you there. Mostly graph interpretation so you just have to be familiar with how to extract information from the graphs. Then there is physics. Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little. I would know learn some of the fundamental concepts such as force, friction, acceleration, velocity, electronics like circuit diagrams, capacitance and resistance, charges etc. (you know that mathsy type of stuff). I have no background in physics but I spent a week trying to grasp some of the concepts in physics and it really paid off even if it helped me get the answer to only 5-6 questions. Felt like it was worth it. Some of the more difficult physics I really cannot do.

As for physical chemistry, diffusion, effusion, electrochemistry, redox chemistry, colloidal properties etc tend to come up so knowing them will be some pressure off your back. And definitely thermodynamics.

I heard O. Chem for dummies was good for people with no chemistry knowledge so I can't recommend it myself since I didn't use anything specific to learn chemistry; just the course work and all the modules I took over the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

To add to that, check out khan academy online. Its a great resource and if you learn like me its worth checking out. He covers everything pretty well.

Also, with the bio, I must say that it does help to be familar with the terminology. If the question asks about a bunch of stuff that sounds like one of the smart doctorey bits out of greys anatomy or somethnig like that, it makes it easier when you have some handle on what bits of the body theyre asking about. So again khan with fill that info out for ya.

understanding graphs is a big thing so check out all you can on that.

finally, to agree with hypnos, there will be bits that you dont get. Dont worry, dont get bogged down especially early on in your study.

finally, the test just gone was very heavy on org chem. if i could had given myself some advice back to the future style, i would say, learn your org better.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Thanks to both of you for the very useful advice. I had just come across Khan Academy and it's very useful. Something about the visual/audio reinforcement that works quite well for me! Any recommendations for a Biology text? It does seem like the most general knowledge of the sections but I definitely need some grounding in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

I know this has been thrashed out here before but I'm just curious as to whether anyone has any experience negotiating extra finance from the banks for living expense by putting property up as collateral. Just curious as to whether or not they would be flexible in this regard? Will discuss it with them personally closer to the time? Also is it only the branches affiliated with the colleges that deal with the gradmed loan? Would there be any point in, for example, talking to someone in my local branch?

trendy88 wrote: »
    I know this has been thrashed out here before but I'm just curious as to whether anyone has any experience negotiating extra finance from the banks for living expense by putting property up as collateral. Just curious as to whether or not they would be flexible in this regard? Will discuss it with them personally closer to the time? Also is it only the branches affiliated with the colleges that deal with the gradmed loan? Would there be any point in, for example, talking to someone in my local branch?

I really have no idea. I don't think you can negotiate the Gradmed loan. It's kind of set in stone. As to whether you can pull extra money out, I don't know but I'm sure the interest on that will be the normal interest rather than the Gradmed 4.3%. Sounds like a long shot. You won't know till you try :)

• Advertisement

I really have no idea. I don't think you can negotiate the Gradmed loan. It's kind of set in stone. As to whether you can pull extra money out, I don't know but I'm sure the interest on that will be the normal interest rather than the Gradmed 4.3%. Sounds like a long shot. You won't know till you try :)

Wait does that interest of 4.3% have to be payed back every year :confused: ??

Advertisement