Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

nerrad01 wrote: »
    i think its very much a generational thing, we get a lot of lectures on the legal implications and owning up to mistakes and admitting them, there and then.

the old days of the doc being god are long gone, as you make a mistake and act like an arrogant twat you WILL be sued and nothing will, take these docs back down to earth like a day in the high court and being named and shamed whether they are guilty or not!

Medicine is a noble profession that I hope to get into myself and take it from me, I'm a really nice guy but it does seem to throw up a few right peaches.

I heard of one guy recently who shall not be named etc etc.

He was an anesthetist who didnt give a patient enough dopey juice and she was conscious during surgery. He found out afterward and the woman was hysterical and traumatised as you might expect. He went into her room to speak to her. I assumed to sympathise, apologise and so on but no. He knew he was shagged so he explained to her how much work he had put into his career and how she was going to end it. The nursing staff had to remove him in the end.

I think its up to people within the profession to make it unacceptable to behave like a tit. Nothing like a bit of social pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    Medicine is a noble profession that I hope to get into myself and take it from me, I'm a really nice guy but it does seem to throw up a few right peaches.

I heard of one guy recently who shall not be named etc etc.

He was an anesthetist who didnt give a patient enough dopey juice and she was conscious during surgery. He found out afterward and the woman was hysterical and traumatised as you might expect. He went into her room to speak to her. I assumed to sympathise, apologise and so on but no. He knew he was shagged so he explained to her how much work he had put into his career and how she was going to end it. The nursing staff had to remove him in the end.

I think its up to people within the profession to make it unacceptable to behave like a tit. Nothing like a bit of social pressure

Actually now that you mention that there was a similar case like that somewhere else in the E.U and it made the news. However it was found that the man under anesthesia had a hyper metabolic state and just metabolised the sedatives faster and awoke so it wasn't the anestheisologists (I can never spell that word and I'm cool with that)
    I'm not sure if that's a common thing but it must be if National Geographic made a documentary on it.

Also there are bad doctors and 'bad' patients. I'm sure that there are doctors out there who unknowingly are somehow being lied to in order to get some prescription drugs. There is also a global problem when it comes to oxycodone and other opiates where doctors take huge bribes to prescribe them in big doses. (National Geographic) again. The best selling drug for the past few years has been hydrocodone and oxycodone with sales of >30bn, so there are bigger problems than a bad attitude :)

Hypnos wrote: »
    Actually now that you mention that there was a similar case like that somewhere else in the E.U and it made the news. However it was found that the man under anesthesia had a hyper metabolic state and just metabolised the sedatives faster and awoke so it wasn't the anestheisologists (I can never spell that word and I'm cool with that)
    I'm not sure if that's a common thing but it must be if National Geographic made a documentary on it.

Also there are bad doctors and 'bad' patients. I'm sure that there are doctors out there who unknowingly are somehow being lied to in order to get some prescription drugs. There is also a global problem when it comes to oxycodone and other opiates where doctors take huge bribes to prescribe them in big doses. (National Geographic) again. The best selling drug for the past few years has been hydrocodone and oxycodone with sales of >30bn, so there are bigger problems than a bad attitude :)

I hear ya on the bad patient deal. Whether you're working public or private you're gonna get dodgey customers. If you're in the right frame of mind and have the right training you should be able to cope with that.

I know that the bribes situation is an issue for the pharmacy crowd as well. Delinquent doctors taking bribes is a big problem from the profession's perspective. I guess that that's down to the governing body to take it on, although I doubt that they would have the skills to investigate that kind of problem and maybe they just don't want to.

From a patient satisfaction point of view, the tactless doctor would be a pretty big deal. Although, like I say I think that there is less of that now.

Is there a module concerned with the doctor-patient relationship? I'm not talking about ethics. Something to train medics on how to deal with dodgey customers but also to give the training required to treat patients sympathetically.

I hear ya on the bad patient deal. Whether you're working public or private you're gonna get dodgey customers. If you're in the right frame of mind and have the right training you should be able to cope with that.

I know that the bribes situation is an issue for the pharmacy crowd as well. Delinquent doctors taking bribes is a big problem from the profession's perspective. I guess that that's down to the governing body to take it on, although I doubt that they would have the skills to investigate that kind of problem and maybe they just don't want to.

From a patient satisfaction point of view, the tactless doctor would be a pretty big deal. Although, like I say I think that there is less of that now.

Is there a module concerned with the doctor-patient relationship? I'm not talking about ethics. Something to train medics on how to deal with dodgey customers but also to give the training required to treat patients sympathetically.

Not too sure actually. Never looked into that. Even if there isn't I'm sure you'd be thought it over time.

Not too sure actually. Never looked into that. Even if there isn't I'm sure you'd be thought it over time.

Therein lies the problem I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

You made 2 very good points there. On the bad patients, most of the time the patient isnt the problem, its the family that cause the problems. As long as you act in the patients best interest and take reasonable steps and all your actions are justifiable then you have yourself covered. In the early days of my training i always found some families can be down right nasty and bullies but with experience you learn to be more assertive and they wont be long backing the f**k down.

As for the bribing aspect of things. As a student (during the celtic tiger), drug reps would call to the clinics every couple of weeks and treat all the staff to lunch while they gave a 20 minute presentation on the product. One company gave the consultant and registrar a golfing trip to Abu Dhabi. So while they may not give a brown envelope full of cash they give "gifts". One particular company sticks out who had launched a new intramuscular injection that cost like €254 for 10ml's of it. And that drug became widely used and prescribed not too long after that.

chips365 wrote: »
    You made 2 very good points there. On the bad patients, most of the time the patient isnt the problem, its the family that cause the problems. As long as you act in the patients best interest and take reasonable steps and all your actions are justifiable then you have yourself covered. In the early days of my training i always found some families can be down right nasty and bullies but with experience you learn to be more assertive and they wont be long backing the f**k down.

As for the bribing aspect of things. As a student (during the celtic tiger), drug reps would call to the clinics every couple of weeks and treat all the staff to lunch while they gave a 20 minute presentation on the product. One company gave the consultant and registrar a golfing trip to Abu Dhabi. So while they may not give a brown envelope full of cash they give "gifts". One particular company sticks out who had launched a new intramuscular injection that cost like €254 for 10ml's of it. And that drug became widely used and prescribed not too long after that.

I have heard some horror stories about the a & e alright.

Are there any rules against taking gifts? Do the council have guidlines on the taking of gifts? Is there any part of the degree that broaches the issue of bribes/ aggressive patients/ a patients aggresive family/ the doctor-patient relationship generally?

I have heard some horror stories about the a & e alright.

Are there any rules against taking gifts? Do the council have guidlines on the taking of gifts? Is there any part of the degree that broaches the issue of bribes/ aggressive patients/ a patients aggresive family/ the doctor-patient relationship generally?

Honestly I dont know, you cannot accept gifts from a patient and if you accept it you have to notify the ward manager. As for the drug companies, my 4 years as a student nurse i have never had to buy a piece of stationary equipment because the drug companies would bring in the best of stationary (marketing). Lundbeck and Novartis were pretty descent that way. Other companies would fly consultants out for conferences to the USA and Dubai. Everything is well documented and covered in case questions are asked.

As for how to deal with patients, there isn't really any modules on it. You cover law and ethics and I'm not sure about doctors but for nurses we are told once you do not deviate beyond the scope of practice you are safe. The only way to deal with awkward situations is watch how other do it and learn from them, and use you're own cop on. In the event that something goes wrong with a patient (god forbid), the notes you write in the patients file are the only thing considered by the nursing board, medical council and court of law, after that it doesn't matter what you say you did or meant to do. If it isn't written down, it wasnt done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snizzledan

Well these are the days of my life. I have spent the last 3 days obsessively looking at my phone waiting for that dreaded email to arrive. Nobody has any idea of when the release date is. Emailed Gamsat ireland and they just used the word "soon" in their response. Wholly unhelpful.

From what I can glean from this thread equivalent last year they came out on the Monday the 20th at 02.00 in the morn.
    There is also this unsupported piece of evidence which goes against last years post obviously...
    http://www.gamsatpreparationcoursesireland.ie/gamsat-ireland-dates-2011-2012-2013

Let my madness end. Every small bump in the night I am checking my phone. Clues, discussion or even the knowledge that others are in my pitiful state much appreciated.

Follow up query. Anyone hazard a guess at the numbers sitting the exam this year compared to last. Also know if overall places up or down? All with the distant aim of guessing CAO point trend.. Are we going up or down.

• Advertisement

snizzledan wrote: »
    Follow up query. Anyone hazard a guess at the numbers sitting the exam this year compared to last. Also know if overall places up or down? All with the distant aim of guessing CAO point trend.. Are we going up or down.

I would type out loads of information to you but all that was already covered in this thread in detail. Scroll back halfway and scan through :)

snizzledan wrote: »
    Well these are the days of my life. I have spent the last 3 days obsessively looking at my phone waiting for that dreaded email to arrive. Nobody has any idea of when the release date is. Emailed Gamsat ireland and they just used the word "soon" in their response. Wholly unhelpful.

From what I can glean from this thread equivalent last year they came out on the Monday the 20th at 02.00 in the morn.
    There is also this unsupported piece of evidence which goes against last years post obviously...
    http://www.gamsatpreparationcoursesireland.ie/gamsat-ireland-dates-2011-2012-2013

Let my madness end. Every small bump in the night I am checking my phone. Clues, discussion or even the knowledge that others are in my pitiful state much appreciated.

Hope it doesn't come out till the 20th. Have my last exam on Saturday the 18th and it would ruin my day since I wouldn't check till after the exam but knowing the result is there would kill me. As far as I'm aware they're only released on weekdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Hope it doesn't come out till the 20th. Have my last exam on Saturday the 18th and it would ruin my day since I wouldn't check till after the exam but knowing the result is there would kill me. As far as I'm aware they're only released on weekdays?

Who knows, maybe it'll happen this Friday :)?

It was 17 th last year?

It was 17 th last year?

Have a look at this website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 doug365

The wait Is awful. I hope it's this week. Am I correct in assuming that a very minimum of a 56 will assure you have a place in grad med in some college in Ireland?

doug365 wrote: »
    The wait Is awful. I hope it's this week. Am I correct in assuming that a very minimum of a 56 will assure you have a place in grad med in some college in Ireland?

It should do! Judging on last year's, it would open the door to UL and UCC.

Judging on last years you could also be very very lucky and get in on a 52 in Limerick. If that website is right we should have results by 03:30 Friday morning, tomorrow will be the longest day!

Just an update. I emailed GAMSAT Ireland to enquire wether the results are out this week or next week. Their response was 'in line with the CAO instructions we will be releasing results next week'.

So I guess we can enjoy our weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Oh my nerves are shot!!!

doug365 wrote: »
    Just an update. I emailed GAMSAT Ireland to enquire wether the results are out this week or next week. Their response was 'in line with the CAO instructions we will be releasing results next week'.

So I guess we can enjoy our weekend.

got the same email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Haven't given the GAMSAT any thought since the day we sat it...until today. All I want are my results now for whatever reason.

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Haven't given the GAMSAT any thought since the day we sat it...until today. All I want are my results now for whatever reason.

Know this feeling, I'm just want up know if I'm going back to college this year or jumping on a plans to Oz in next month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Know this feeling, I'm just want up know if I'm going back to college this year or jumping on a plans to Oz in next month!

Oz would be great, you could even sit the GAMSAT over there :P I just want to know whether I should apply for a masters or not. I'm hoping not!!

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Oz would be great, you could even sit the GAMSAT over there :P I just want to know whether I should apply for a masters or not. I'm hoping not!!

That's the plan anyway. I'm sort of hoping I would get a high enough score (not gona happen) so i could go traveling for the year and not worry about resitting the exam. If i scrape a pass then i'll have to take any offers i get and if i come no where near a good score then that's ok, I get to go abroad! Just registered with me that im only after coming out of a 4 year degree, don't know if I want to give my 20's away doing another one. Maybe revisit it in my 30's.

Are most of you first timers? What scores are you hoping for..?

A positive thought from me: I sat the G in September, and felt it was an absolute flop, the results will most probably surprise you very positively :)! So, chin(s) up, we're nearly there!

got the same email

Weird cause i emailed them maybe them the day before and the word they used was soon. Offering no information of the week. How recently did ye contact them..

Im still staying up late hoping they come out tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

I'm also up and going a bit crazy!!
    It's my 3rd time... First time was London, results real eased around 1pm on a Friday 9 weeks after the exam. 2nd time was Ireland, results around 2:15am Friday morning 7 weeks after exam... Ahhhh!!
    Good luck everyone x

• Advertisement

I emailed yesterday morning as well. It'll be next week. No specified day. I reckon it's cause peeps are finishing exams so cao told them to hold off!

Advertisement