Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

When do these scores appear on cao?

When are the first round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Oh my ****ing God... 60... Finally! Yessssssssssssss. ****ing chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Did better than I thought but not good enough! So shocked that I did the best in my essay questions... I'm doing a science course at the minute and it was that section that let met down!!! Oh well! Glad I know now what to expect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Third time lucky, got 63 this year. Completely unexpected!!!

Im thrilled, comgratulations to whoever was happy with their result, commisserations to whoever didnt. One thing I can say to you is that I've been in your shoes twice now, it'll all work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

Third time lucky, got 63 this year. Completely unexpected!!!

Im thrilled, comgratulations to whoever was happy with their result, commisserations to whoever didnt. One thing I can say to you is that I've been in your shoes twice now, it'll all work out.

Well done! Perseverance pays off.

What percentile does that put you in?

How about 62, please?

House_QC wrote: »
    Well done! Perseverance pays off.

What percentile does that put you in?

How about 62, please?

62... 94-95 percentile so you're grand :) Got myself a 60, bang on 90th percentile so I'm just euphoric... Was shocked at how well S2 went compared to what I thought,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thomasdavis

When do the offers go out?

I was at an RCSI open day in February and they were explaining the GAMSAT points system. It was stated that UL usually doesnt fill there quota of places for Graduate Medicine (they have around 90 places which is alot more than any other place) so they use 54 as a cut off based on the fact that this is the minimum someone should get as opposed to the score being set by the take up of places. So basically if you get 54 you should at least get a place in Limerick. Please note that this is how I interpreted the explanation so I accept no responsibility for your disappointment if you dont get a place in UL with a score of 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Really hope 58 is sufficient!

Congrats all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Would 55 be sufficient ? First timer for gamsat, did waaay better than my expectations

Would 55 be sufficient ? First timer for gamsat, did waaay better than my expectations

That was the cut off for UCC second round and also you'll be fine for Limerick. So UCC possibly and Limerick

demure wrote: »

Congrats all!!!

would you take Limerick, if so I would think your safe..

http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=17076

demure wrote: »

Congrats all!!!

58 I think* will be enough for UCD, UCC and UL. Last year UCD was 58 and 57 round 2. The number of applicants dropped so I thin you have a very good chance quite honestly!

55 will do for ul, possibly ucc. Probably not ucd, defo not rcsi. Good score for a first timer from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Hypnos wrote: »
    58 I think* will be enough for UCD, UCC and UL. Last year UCD was 58 and 57 round 2. The number of applicants dropped so I thin you have a very good chance quite honestly!

Please God, that's what I'm hoping for.
    So if I don't get UCD and Coed makes me an offer, do I reject it and wait hoping for the former? I obviously would happily go to Cork should I not get Dublin so don't want to miss the opportunity altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Babs_1208

I got a 56.....up from 54 from September - so UCC and UL should be pretty fine, but it's UCD I want :-(

Would anyone like to throw me the tiniest bit of hope that there's a chance I might still get UCD??

Also need to now figure out how to order my preferences for UCC vs UL before July 1st.....I really haven't come across that much about UCC and kind of have had UL in my head since the UK exam just in case my points went down.....ohhhhh limbo land until August 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Riibiik

Got 56 as well, also really wanted UCD..when are the cut off scores released? August? I put UL as my first choice just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Can someone post the percentile curve please? Just paste in the image from the results site. I was able to do it for the UK results last year.

Riibiik wrote: »
    Got 56 as well, also really wanted UCD..when are the cut off scores released? August? I put UL as my first choice just to be on the safe side.

I think you need to put some time into understanding the way the CAO works. Your order of preferences should reflect where you would prefer to go and not where you think you will get in with your points. You should put UCD as your first choice if it is your preferred location, you might get in. If you dont you will get your 2nd or 3rd choice. Putting UL last will not effect your chances of getting there unless you get one of your preferred options instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

Got a 60! Delighted. Really want RCSI though so am hoping it might be enough but don't think so! Have to give 3months notice for work so gonna have to do it without knowing for sure....argh! Hopefully I'll get RCSI/UCD!

Well done everyone!

I think you need to put some time into understanding the way the CAO works. Your order of preferences should reflect where you would prefer to go and not where you think you will get in with your points. You should put UCD as your first choice if it is your preferred location, you might get in. If you dont you will get your 2nd or 3rd choice. Putting UL last will not effect your chances of getting there unless you get one of your preferred options instead.

Well said. It's worrying that people who have been through college already don't get this.

Well said. It's worrying that people who have been through college already don't get this.
    I'm new to this whole forum business and just thought I would ask a question...There is no need for snide remarks. I'm very sorry for you that you might have to interact with intellectually inferior individuals such as myself who haven't grasped how the CAO works yet (I am foreign and the systems I have used previously were quite different).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mabs12

Got 55, the exact same as the first time I sat it, marks for the sections just shuffled around a bit! Disappointed because I wanted UCD but oh well. I'll absolutely take Limerick or Cork.

What I'm really interested in now is how relevant your place is on the percentile curve in terms of allocation of places, because even with the same score I find myself in a different percentile for the UK Sept sitting and the Irish March sitting. Is the curve more of an indicator as to what the cut off marks will settle on for the particular year?

Also just to make sure, for CAO application is there a minimum score for each section?

Thanks and congrats to everyone getting results!

Here is the 2013 percentile curve in case you're interested:

percentile-curve-ireland.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

Has anyone checked their score on CAO? Mine has been updated as follows:

Exam..........Score 1......Score 2.......Score 3........Result 1.....Result 2
    GAMSAT...........000............000............000............000.............n/a

Have other people got their actual result in there? :eek:

EDIT ****Ah sorry it's been updated now with my scores, mini panic over :) Congrats to everyone*****

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orla 2012

Does anyone know what date the course starts in ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Captain Teebs

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Back to the drawing board for myself with a score of 51. First time sitter with a non-science background so I guess I can't be too disappointed. Hats off to everyone who got what they wanted.

• Advertisement

Riibiik wrote: »
    I'm new to this whole forum business and just thought I would ask a question...There is no need for snide remarks. I'm very sorry for you that you might have to interact with intellectually inferior individuals such as myself who haven't grasped how the CAO works yet (I am foreign and the systems I have used previously were quite different).

Ok, calm down, no need to overreact like that. I, and the other user who replied to you, are pointing out that you need to do some research of your own, regardless of where you went to college before. The information is freely available and it's your duty to understand it.

Advertisement