Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Hypnos wrote: »
    I think that chips is a she :)

Ah, my apologies if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SunshineGirl22

pc11 wrote: »
    I was being nothing but empathic. I have been in exactly the same boat as the poster. I was writing from bitter experience of my own. What I needed was a strong dose of reality, to decide what I really wanted, and how to pursue it.

I was supporting him in the possibility that maybe GEM is not for him and that's ok. This is exactly what he asked for. I was typoreflecting to him that his difficulty in prepping well sounded like he didn't truly want it. That may be wrong, of course, only he can know that ultimately.

I'm all for repeating GAMSAT, I have written many posts urging exactly that. But, I am also urging realism and facing up to what needs to be done.

I'm baffled if you read my post as arrogant, sorry.

And I didn't say anything about what the GAMSAT measures. But the reality is you need to do well in it to get in, nothing can change that. If he wants this, he has to find a way to do that.

Ha sorry the 'arrogant' remark wasn't directly pointed at you but other comments from various threads! I fully understand what you mean though. Sometimes what is typed out in a comment comes across more harsh than intended as opposed to what it would be like in person. Oh communication haha. Anyway I'm over and out, boards.ie scares me a little haha

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

I don't think that any long term posters on this thread means to dishearten or offend. If somebody expresses something in a forthright way it might be a little irksome, especially today but were all in the one boat or have been in the boat. (clunky metaphor use).
    everyone on this thread is pretty passionate about what their doing if they're taking gamsat.
    Incidentally, I agree that there should be an interview process. I'm sure that the panel would be interested in passionate hard working people. The kind that take gamsat three times and offer free advice which has been very useful to people like me and other first timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Riibiik

My post wasn't intended to be 'diplomatic'. It was intended to tell you about the reality of GEM and of getting into it and how you need to find out about it. And it's funny how you're blind to the other posters telling you the same thing.

Is it funny though? Maybe it's because the other posters' responses were more cordial and didn't feel it necessary to include snide remarks. They were also more informative. I agree with you that an important quality for a doctor is the ability to take criticism. Diplomatic skills and the awareness that different people react differently to criticism and sarcasm might also be helpful. Just a thought, but feel free to disregard it seeing as it is coming from someone who shouldn't even be allowed to graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Glad to see that everyone here is very comfortable and confident with assessing what constitutes being a good doctor and just so happens that everyone is sure that they the perfect set of characteristics to become the best.... No big heads here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Bahahaha... lads.. I've read this forum for the last 2 years, posting the odd time. What's with the total catfight going on today? Meee-ow!
    It's only a feckin' exam. Some people take multiple times to do it, some get it on their first shot.

And yes, the internet can be an awkward place to put something across and it being taken up the wrong way... I seriously doubt anyone is actually trying to cause offense/be unpleasant here, so calm the buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Beardedmaster, how dare you. This forum has only been going for 1 year. :P:D

But seriously guys, the b1tching is a bit much now, noone has any idea yet if they themselves will be a good doctor in the future, let alone comment about anyone elses potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Ok, here's the tough love answer. Only you can answer whether it's a waste of time. Given what you told us, you didn't put in any serious prep and frankly you got a bad score. Dressing it up any other way would do you no favours. I think your trouble was more than poor timing.

Now, you can get up and register for the UK in September, and if you're serious about this, you would be crazy not to. But, if you found it so hard to get going the last time, you need to ask yourself some tough questions: why was it so hard to do the work? why did you do so little prep? do you *really* want this?

These are not questions to answer here. You need to think about them yourself and get the true answers. If you want this, you should go hard for it. But, if it's just not there, that's ok; it's not for everyone. I don't yet know if it's definitely for me either but at least I got the score.

It's your life, your call. Good luck. This is a tough process, it's not easy for anyone.

First off I do appreciate your comment and all the other comments from other posters.

No need to point out my score was bad, as you can see from my post i used the word "ashamed" so I am in no way delusional about it. Nobody ever seems to post low scores on this so I wanted to find out if others have had a similar experience and turned it around completely on there 2nd and even 3rd sitting of the exam.

Is this for me? bit of background info, I am a qualified nurse (1 year), first class honors degree. I have worked in many departments in healthcare over my degree and I love what I do. So is this for me, most definitely yes!

With regards my prep, I did as much as I could between working 48 hour alternating day/night shifts. Some days I was falling asleep at my desk learning acid and bases pKa and all that. I can't change that I just have to manage my study time a bit better which is hard to do because when you clock out from a shift, its hard to switch off and get into study mode. Work comes home with you in healthcare.

Couple of other interesting points made, empathy in my experience is not something you can learn, you just have to have it!

Oh and chips is a man :)

and well done to all those who got the score they wanted! well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Chips, is there much science in the undergrad nursing degree? Wonder would you be better off concentrating on your section 1 and section 2?

There's 2 bits of advise Id give most people. First, a lot of the big scores seem to come from high section 2 results, 70 and above in section 2 really brings up your overall score provided you did ok in the other 2 sections. As a non science grad myself, my strategy was to do well in section 1 and 2.

Secondly, and this is the most important bit of advise, try and keep a clear head. I am living proof that a muddled tired head on the day can cost you big time in the gammy. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, try and stay as relaxed as you can because a relaxed brain will allow you to see answers clearer or allow you to remain on topic in the essays.

Finally, dont beat yourself up too much, you should be proud of yourself that you managed to even sit the gammy given the work you'd have been doing the last year. It'll all work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Chips, is there much science in the undergrad nursing degree? Wonder would you be better off concentrating on your section 1 and section 2?

There's 2 bits of advise Id give most people. First, a lot of the big scores seem to come from high section 2 results, 70 and above in section 2 really brings up your overall score provided you did ok in the other 2 sections. As a non science grad myself, my strategy was to do well in section 1 and 2.

Secondly, and this is the most important bit of advise, try and keep a clear head. I am living proof that a muddled tired head on the day can cost you big time in the gammy. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, try and stay as relaxed as you can because a relaxed brain will allow you to see answers clearer or allow you to remain on topic in the essays.

Finally, dont beat yourself up too much, you should be proud of yourself that you managed to even sit the gammy given the work you'd have been doing the last year. It'll all work out.

I really appreciate the reply mate, thank you!

I could sit and make excuses but in reality it was a terrible score and the day before that exam i knew it wasnt going to go well I had a rough few days in work leading up to it! On the plus I know what to expect and where i need to focus.

There is a lot of science but its all relevant to clinical practice. Not like the gamsat where the information is manipulated. You wouldn't be learning about the lung capacity of a fish versus the capacity of a monkey in a certain environment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

Anybody care to hazard a guess at possible round 0 cut off scores?

Dreamer4 wrote: »

Can't imagine that it would be higher than last year with less applications this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Riibiik

Bahahaha... lads.. I've read this forum for the last 2 years, posting the odd time. What's with the total catfight going on today? Meee-ow!
    It's only a feckin' exam. Some people take multiple times to do it, some get it on their first shot.

And yes, the internet can be an awkward place to put something across and it being taken up the wrong way... I seriously doubt anyone is actually trying to cause offense/be unpleasant here, so calm the buzz!

Meee-ow indeed! I admit to having overreacted a tad in response to pc11's comment. I just didn't appreciate being attacked on my first post here. Anyhoo, it was all very entertaining all the same..just the sort of procrastination I needed to avoid writing my thesis today :p

Wishing the best to all of you this August! Well done on your results those of you who got what they wanted and keep up the good work if you need to take it again in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legallyblondex

Hey does anybody have any experience applying for or know anybody successful in obtaining the Limerick scholarship? I know this has been discussed in other threads but as this is a more recent discussion I thought I'd ask,
    also does anybody know how the loan is handed over I.e. cheque payable to college, cash( wahoo off to the Bahamas) or just direct money transfer to said college (booo).
    And finally campus or private accommodation? What are we thinking??

you may need to check application date for scholarship, it was April last year and they refused to accept any late applications as far as I am aware.

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    Can't imagine that it would be higher than last year with less applications this year.

Thanks for the reply,
    Great stuff! Just wondering how we know there are less applications this year? Is it published somewhere or is it just obvious from numbers present at the various venues?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

So last year round 0 was:

RCSI - 59*
    UCD - 57*
    UL - 54*
    UCC - 56*

I don't think it will change too much either, applications for Med across the the board are down 6%. I haven't heard of any places being cut. Can't see them going up.

you may need to check application date for scholarship, it was April last year and they refused to accept any late applications as far as I am aware.

Cool, thanks.
    Yeah I heard that also it's done in 2/3 phases I read with the first dead line as you said in April, thanks for the heads up!

RCSI - 59*
    UCD - 57*
    UL - 54*
    UCC - 56*

I don't think it will change too much either, applications for Med across the the board are down 6%. I haven't heard of any places being cut. Can't see them going up.

I would imagine that the loan issue is going to start to have an effect on points however with a lot of people unable to get a guarantor for a BOI loan and UL being the only college offering an Ulster Bank loan

Thanks for the reply,
    Great stuff! Just wondering how we know there are less applications this year? Is it published somewhere or is it just obvious from numbers present at the various venues?

Med applications down 7%. heard it on the news about 6 weeks ago. Don't know the exact breakdown between gmed and undergrad but I assume it's down across the board therefore, good for me and you!!

Med applications down 7%. heard it on the news about 6 weeks ago. Don't know the exact breakdown between gmed and undergrad but I assume it's down across the board therefore, good for me and you!!

Defiantly! Observe the masses and do the opposite!

• Advertisement

Great ! Observe the masses and do the opposite! So offers are released early August!

Defiantly! Observe the masses and do the opposite!

Definitely* whoops,

Yes, it's long closed. Absolutely no late applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

RCSI - 59*
    UCD - 57*
    UL - 54*
    UCC - 56*

I've been in touch with UCD. Apparently, last year, every applicant with 58 and above was offered a place. And the remaining places were given to applicants with a score of 57 through random selection.

As for RCSI, I haven't spoken to them directly. But on their website, they effectively give two cut-off scores for last year on different pages. One is 59 and the other is 63. Perhaps it was a typo. So it is worth checking with them tomorrow for clarification. Or perhaps someone else on this forum has the correct information?

Yes, it's long closed. Absolutely no late applications.

Sure would be sweet to get! It says on the website "and a modest lining contribution" or something like that wonder how much?

Sure would be sweet to get! It says on the website "and a modest lining contribution" or something like that wonder how much?

Fees paid and around 10k per year I think. The problem is you won't find out until several weeks into the course, so you have to have started it already which is a bit counter-productive really.

If I got the UL scholarship I would definitely go there, but as I would be 50/50 at best to get it, I'll probably stay in Dublin. So, it means some very good candidates will end up not going to UL and they lose them. Not sure it makes sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

House_QC wrote: »
    I've been in touch with UCD. Apparently, last year, every applicant with 58 and above was offered a place. And the remaining places were given to applicants with a score of 57 through random selection.

As for RCSI, I haven't spoken to them directly. But on their website, they effectively give two cut-off scores for last year on different pages. One is 59 and the other is 63. Perhaps it was a typo. So it is worth checking with them tomorrow for clarification. Or perhaps someone else on this forum has the correct information?

Yes that's correct and in subsequent rounds they can fall again, round 0 is in early August. I know UL fell to random selection on 53 last year so everyone on 54 would have received an offer.

I'm sure 59 was the cutoff last year for RCSI. Maybe 63 was a couple of years ago or as you said a typo?

Fees paid and around 10k per year I think. The problem is you won't find out until several weeks into the course, so you have to have started it already which is a bit counter-productive really.

If I got the UL scholarship I would definitely go there, but as I would be 50/50 at best to get it, I'll probably stay in Dublin. So, it means some very good candidates will end up not going to UL and they lose them. Not sure it makes sense really.

Scholarship is fees plus about 4000/5000 not 10,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

the scholarship isnt about getting the best candidates, gamsat scores dont come into it....its supposed to be about providing access to med for people who wouldnt be able to afford it otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Yes that's correct and in subsequent rounds they can fall again, round 0 is in early August. I know UL fell to random selection on 53 last year so everyone on 54 would have received an offer.

I'm sure 59 was the cutoff last year for RCSI. Maybe 63 was a couple of years ago or as you said a typo?

RCSI was:

2012 59 2011 59*

in 2012 everyone with 59 got a place

Advertisement