Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I wonder will I just be able to string enough together to hold out for UCD for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

I don't know if this will be helpful to any of you. I sat GAMSAT last year and scored a 63 (60-63-65) and applied for an international spot in 2013.

I was accepted at UCD & UL. Rejected by RCSI (pre-interview). I withdrew my application from UCC after receiving the UCD acceptance so I don't know what would have happened there.

Why were you rejected before having an interview with RCSI?

As an international applicant, they must have considered other criteria in addition to your GAMSAT score, e.g. GPA, personal statement, references, etc.

So are you going to be attending UCD this September? Why did you choose UCD over UCC, as a matter of interest, please?

By the way, I've been looking at the estimates on accommodation and cost of living on the UCC website and UCD websites. It seems there isn't that much difference. Is that accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snizzledan

hey guys. I found this very interesting thread that is about 4 years old at this point however.
    If you haven't seen it already it may be handy for offering an insight to the course outline for ucd
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627622
    also i saw that ucd have an open day on the 20th of next month. Might be cutting it a little short for some on decisions (https://myucd.ucd.ie/events/eventRegistration.do?eventRegistrationAction=registration&stringEventID=Mjg0).
    Here's hoping CAO points don't skyrocket this year.

"Also stole a previous post here. It is relatively old but helpful list of the criteria for assessment for picking colleges
    Prestige of RCSI v UCD
    Class size of 77 in UCD v 30 in RCSI
    Fees of 16,440 in UCD v 13915 in UCD (Could do with a confirmation of these figures)
    Campus of UCD v Hospital Setting of RCSI
    Earlier hospital visits of RCSI v Later in UCD (I've been given the impression at least"
    please feel free to add or correct anything you feel

snizzledan wrote: »
    hey guys. I found this very interesting thread that is about 4 years old at this point however.
    If you haven't seen it already it may be handy for offering an insight to the course outline for ucd
    also i saw that ucd have an open day on the 20th of next month. Might be cutting it a little short for some on decisions (https://myucd.ucd.ie/events/eventRegistration.do?eventRegistrationAction=registration&stringEventID=Mjg0).

"Also stole a previous post here. It is relatively old but helpful list of the criteria for assessment for picking colleges
    Prestige of RCSI v UCD
    Fees of 16,440 in UCD v 13915 in UCD (Could do with a confirmation of these figures)
    Earlier hospital visits of RCSI v Later in UCD (I've been given the impression at least"

RCSI have a class size about 60 now (according to its website). Don't know about UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PLAYSTATION4

House_QC wrote: »
    Why were you rejected before having an interview with RCSI?

As an international applicant, they must have considered other criteria in addition to your GAMSAT score, e.g. GPA, personal statement, references, etc.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=84765356
    So are you going to be attending UCD this September? Why did you choose UCD over UCC, as a matter of interest, please?

By the way, I've been looking at the estimates on accommodation and cost of living on the UCC website and UCD websites. It seems there isn't that much difference. Is that accurate?

I'm not sure why I was rejected by RCSI, they don't really give you an explanation, you basically get a form letter "there were a lot of competitive applicants this year... yada yada yada".

I couldn't tell you what the main factor was, I thought I would at least get an interview since my application was reasonably strong overall. I'm not disappointed. RCSI charges about €50,000 per year for international students and UCD about €40,000 so UCD was my top choice anyway for financial reasons (we don't formally rank schools in our application).

Yes, I will be attending UCD this September! Why UCD over UCC?

Tuition is the same at both (housing is probably cheaper near UCC).

Dublin is a bigger city and I thought I would feel more at home there being from an urban part of America, rather than in a smaller city like Cork.

Aer Lingus flies Boston to Dublin and Dublin to Boston (my home airport) twice daily whereas it would have been a bit more challenging to get to and from Cork.

It was a choice I didn't have to make anyway. UCC didn't accept me and their first round offers came out before UCD!

Why did I chose UCD or UL? UCD is eligible for US Federal Loans (which will cover my entire tuition + academic, transportation & living expenses, and allow me to to defer payments until graduation. Its not as good as it sounds, it comes at a price, 7.9% APR + 4% dispersal fee), UL is not eligible for Federal Loans yet due to the age of the program.

On campus accommodation at UCC & UCD might be the same price since they're kind of like sister universities. I'm probably going to live off campus at UCD since I wasn't very impressed with what I saw on their website, and the fact that you don't get to pick who you live it, evidently it's lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 PLAYSTATION4

snizzledan wrote: »

Prestige of RCSI v UCD

Those are EU/Irish quotas.

I know 1/5 of UCD's class is made up of international students, so there are 20-25 internationals, and approximately 100 students overall in Graduate Entry Medicine.

At RCSI there are about 70 students in the Graduate program. 35 EU/Irish, and 35 international.

I don't know anything about the number of students in the undergraduate entry programs.

Obviously these numbers can fluctuate slightly from year to year.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Faro123

CiMaster wrote: »
    Hello All,

In the interest of paying it forward, i decided to write this post on my experience in sitting the Gamsat for ye eager (and crazy) enough to give the silly archane thing a bash. It's probably a result of this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681118 which i found incredible useful and read over and over, printed out and read some more during my contemplation phase of sitting the GAMSAT. It's also the reason why i am not going to delve too deeply into the exam composition (PhoenixIre does a more than sufficient job at this in the above post so i recommend you give it a read).

WHAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE:
    I sat the GAMSAT twice, both in Dublin in 2011, and 2012 scoring 55 and 61 respectively. I was quite unexpectedly offered a place in UL in August 2011, but had never planned on taking it (mainly economic reasons, was due bonus, decided to save for an additional year). My prep for the GAMSAT was stressed, disorganised at times, hap hazard and always felt wildlly insufficient. I think now, this might be normal. I was (still am) working for a bank in NYC which takes up between 50 to 70 hours of my week (included a 2 hour daily commute) so study was primarily left to the weekends, with some early mornings / late evenings in the last 4-6 weeks, always taking a full week beforehand off. I add this because people often ask if its do-able with full time work. My answer is yes, but you have to be pretty committed. ie. leaving the party early on Saturday knowing you've to be studying by 10am on a Sunday, and saying no to pretty much all unnecessary social activities at the weekend, especially in the last 10wks or so. Remember it'll take you 7weeks (ie. weekends) to do what full time studiers can do in 2wks, so every study day counts.

I bought all the official papers from Acer (as above poster correctly states they are over priced, insufficient but completely necessary). I bought a number of Bio books (a mcat one, but any you find concise and engaging to read should be fine), i bought Organic Chemistry for dummies (on a posters recommendation) and the partnering workbook, Chemistry for dummies, a physis books (never gave the latter much attention to my own detriment).

I'll try outline my approach as i know there is an element of 'where the hell do I even start?!' when it comes to Gamsat.

WHAT I DID: (scores from 2011, 2012)

Its important to familiarize your self with the exam structure (see link above). In a nutshell there are three sections with the science section (Section three) holding double weighting.

Ie. Final Result = [S1 + SII + (SIII*2) ] / 4

SECTION ONE (SI): (63, 66)
    (Verbal compositions made up of Passages / Poetry and other weird and wonderful brain-teasery things)
    My entire study for SI was done through this book: ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning by Orsay which i bought twice (One for each year i took the GAMSAT). It encompasses 14 practice verbal composition exams, timed at one hour each. I found it really useful in getting into the right mindset for the exam (ie. MCQ style), not only for SI but SIII also. You learn how to skim passages, deduce answers quickly, how to eliminate the incorrect ones, all in a TIMED environment (timing is crucial). All sounds very 'common sense' but a couple of tests in, and producing very mediocre scores, you'll figure out you have potential for a lot of improvement. I tried to start my study with one of these because (i) thats when i was most fresh and most unlikely to get seduced into something more engaging like system bio (ii) that's the sequence of the exam and (iii) because in preppin for gamsat i was determined to take a holistic approach and not get sucked in the black hole that is the science prep. I felt that by dedicating one hour to SI i was ticking it off the list. Its still 25% at the end of the day. Although not a great improvement from 2011 to 2012, i was probably less committed (a general theme for me) to my studies in 2012. I'm not sure i even completed the book. Suffice to say, i was happy with my score.

SECTION TWO (SII): ( 68, 80)
    (Essays, one argumentative, one personal to be completed in 60mins)
    If you are not from a science background, i suggest you make this section your absolute bread and butter. You *MUST* perfect your skills in this section. It is vitally important to your success. It is 25% and i'd imagine has much greater variance in results then the other two sections. Had i scored 60 (a respectable score) and not 80 in my 2012 test i would be five points worse off and probably not readying for a place in Dublin. Please if you take nothing else away from this post, hear me when i say DO NOT OVERLOOK / UNDERESTIMATE this section!

I have always liked english, but there is something about sitting down at 3pm on a saturday afternoon to write an essay that makes you groan and mutter 'FML". Here are my practical tips:
    - Tip one: get an opinion.
    When i started trying to respond to practice exam questions i realized, unlike my 18 year old self sitting the LC, i had nothing to say. Didn't really have the same convictions of thought / strong opinions as i once did. ie. I knew that morally racism / war was wrong, but alas after three years of working in a bank i'd forgotten how to articulate myself. Cue tip two...
    - Tip Two: if you can't find an opinion, steal one.
    I bought the Economist / Times a couple of times, and read through them with a highlighter on the train in the mornings, marking (i) points of interest to me (isnt the way US healthcare is going mad?) and (ii) words / strings of words i found aurally appealing ("the country is completely tax incontinent" / "the whole system has become sclerotic"). No one marking your exam is going to realise you've been swatting up and a couple a sentences / phrases like that can really boost the quality of your piece. Also i would memorize engaging anecdotes throughout history that you can center a whole paragraph around in various different threads / themes and adds an enormous amount of weight to your arguments (ie. Einstein was a pretty medicore student, who's college application was initially rejected. Gandi wrote to the Jews during WWII asking them to appease Hitler, 90% of people on Death Row in the US are from minority groups - egalitarian? etc etc)
    - Tip Three: Once you have an opinion, be outrageous in it:
    Here is an intro to an essay I wrote on war being bad (i actually took the stance of being a proponent of war on the basis of its necessity in securing peace. Remember you are not being graded on your opinion but how well you can support your argument)
    "I wholly disagree with the above statement. It is idealistic to assume that real peace comes from 'enlightenment' and 'enduring people to behave in a more divine manner'. What nonsense! War is an unfortunate but necessary prelude to peace. Yes, war is an ugly thing. But it is not the ugliest thing. Benjamin Franklin said that 'never has their been a good war, or a bad peace'. Yet I challenge him to give his opinion on a beautiful dictatorship? A pleasant suppression of human rights? A nice genocide? These are the consequences of failing to 'drop bombs' and these cannot be ignored, despite flowery ideals which boost the contrary."
    For example, if you find yourself writing 'i think racism is bad' rewrite as 'Racism is obviously bad and this is frankly the only rational conclusion when one examines the evidence' It takes a bit of practice but it is a method i found highly effective in adding conviction to your argument.
    - Tip Four: STRUCTURE!
    For those of you who forget, here's how to structure a paragraph: Intro sentence, evidence, conclusion, hanging sentence which leads directly into... intro sentence of paragraph two, evidence, conclusion etc etc. Here's an example of third paragraph in the same essay:
    "Yes, war is not good. But neither is the alternative. Nations that choose to be apathetic toward offenses on global citizens are violating their duty to protect the vulnerable citizens of this world. Recently at a UN Security Council gathering Russia and China vetoed interference into the Syria Crisis which is reaching boiling point, much to the ire of their western counterparts. American and European proponents of action accused the countries of giving Mr Assad, the Syrian President, a license to kill his own people. I wonder if the ideas put forth by the essay title has been proposed as a strategy to the UN in dealing with this murderer?;
    “Dear Mr Assad, Can we please endure you to behave in a more divine manner toward your people? Thanks in advance, the United Nations.”
    I, for one, am dubious of compliance. Countries that sit back and allow atrocities occur in our global community are not defenders liberty and I hasten to quote the axiom 'if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem'."

I know i am being a bit crash, but feck it, you wanna get the markers attention, just make sure all of your statements are backed up with evidence. If you dont have evidence, see Tip Two :)
    - Tip Five: Remember to practice BOTH styles!
    This was my biggest take away after my first shot at GAMSAT. I had really prepped for the Argumentative essay, but felt like the personal essay would just 'come to me' on the day. Big mistake. My essay two on the day (On 'happiness') ended up being horrific - i painfully muddled through writing complete tripe, and ended up leaving it unfinished. If you've no idea where to start pick a title like 'Growing up in my family' or 'My favourite holiday' Basically the chessier the better. It should be of a reflective tone with a descriptive element.
    - Tip Six: TIMING!
    Make sure you get into the habit of writing your essays in a timed environment. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like things to sound very well thought out and clever. You don't have that luxury in the GAMSAT - you have to be quick. My advice is after you have written a few strong essays, get out a blank sheet of paper ,your acer sample exams, and a stop watch. Its the only way to get you used to the process and is invaluable prep.

SECTION THREE (SIII): (44, 49)
    (40% Bio, 40% Chem, 20% physics)
    *shudder*
    This is by far the most intimidating section of the Gamsat and i'm probably not at all qualified to advise anyone on it - but i'll let you know how i muddled through, having only done Chemistry for the LC. Being time poor and cash rich at the time prep, i enlisted the help of a tutor to help me started. Getting up to speed on the basics of science is the nearest 'study' like thing you will do, and even then DO NOT MEMORIZE ANYTHING. I worked from a couple of different books, and utilized Khan Academy (fantastic online resource) to clarify anything i didn't understand. Remember, Gamsat is not testing your Science Knowledge, its testing your Scientific reasoning. In 2012, the science section had countless number of maths questions - you would've been better off with a prepping with a logic book, then a chemistry book. In the end, i just did as many science questions as i could. Ensured my stereochemistry was sharp, i understood how cell gradients work, could conceptualize circulation in the heart, and gas exchange in the lungs, feedback mechanism of hormones, ensure i was comfortable with scientific notation: all the basics you find outlined in the above post. I also bought the des o neil practice exams and did them in a timed environment to get a sense of the exam which helped, though are on perfect (they are easier, have mistakes and sometimes ask 'knowledge base' questions which simple don't appear on gamsats. I neglected Physis's in 2011, promised myself i would do better in 2012, but actually went into the exam AGAIN with very little knowedge. Physic questions are quite similar in nature every year so being astute with them, is obviously a massive plus.

I remember someone sitting in front of me in the exam hall said before we started SIII 'I just aiming to get 50% right'. I thought that was a great strategy! Its so easy to get completely disheartened because even when you know all about the heart (lets say) they manage to word the questions in such a way, you feel completely useless. Again, i'm not a pro, but can only say its do-able! Just do lots of science questions.

WHAT I LEARNT:
    - The Gamsat is *NOT* about studying. If you find yourself "studying" (ie. Memorizing a bone, or a formule) STOP! Put down the book and back away from your desk because you might aswell be watching an episode of ER. The GAMSAT is about PRACTICING. For every section. Which brings me to my next point...
    - Do not underestimate SI and SII. They really can make or break you. Give the essay section the time and attention it deserves. Make it your business to really perfect your skills.

Keep your chin up and stay positive. I remember thinking, i can never ever do this and thinking about the perceived 'genius' i must be competing against. At the end of the day, its just people like you and I. Once you have prepared for the exam, it is very do-able and passable!

Wishing you all the best of luck :)

Thanks for the help!! I have chemistry degree :) and my main concern is to know what books I need for the essay part and how long is the essay? Its been while since writing essays and plus english is my second language!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

Well I hope the results went well for all :) Despite being convinced I had bombed the test it turns out I got a 70 overall so have my pick of colleges :) If people would like me to post what I studied or a little sort of guide as to what I did just let me know!

Somalion wrote: »
    Well I hope the results went well for all :) Despite being convinced I had bombed the test it turns out I got a 70 overall so have my pick of colleges :) If people would like me to post what I studied or a little sort of guide as to what I did just let me know!

Well done, Somalion. Yes, by all means share your successful preparation strategy, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

House_QC wrote: »
    Well done, Somalion. Yes, by all means share your successful preparation strategy, please.

Thanks, honestly reckon that luck was with me on the day! I created a thread with all my advice and what I did for it just to make it easy to find.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84786284

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

I've only just found out my GAMSAT results 5 minutes ago. I had completely forgotten about them and hadn't bothered checking my email account in ages, so it was a bit of a shock when I saw the email just there now (I also broke my ankle playing football last week which didn't help matters).

Anyway, it turned out to be quite a nice shock as i got 60, which is a pretty good score i suppose according to the percentile graph on their website. I have applied for UCD, so i was just wondering would anyone be able to tell me how likely I would be to get a place?

I think it would be prudent to start looking at loans, accommodation etc.. as soon as possible, but i don't want to be getting ahead of myself and then end up looking like an idiot without an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

boynesider wrote: »
    I've only just found out my GAMSAT results 5 minutes ago. I had completely forgotten about them and hadn't bothered checking my email account in ages, so it was a bit of a shock when I saw the email just there now (I also broke my ankle playing football last week which didn't help matters).

Anyway, it turned out to be quite a nice shock as i got 60, which is a pretty good score i suppose according to the percentile graph on their website. I have applied for UCD, so i was just wondering would anyone be able to tell me how likely I would be to get a place?

I think it would be prudent to start looking at loans, accommodation etc.. as soon as possible, but i don't want to be getting ahead of myself and then end up looking like an idiot without an offer.

I would say there is a near certain chance that you will be offered CAO provided all your documentation is in order. Anyone of a score higher than 57 were offered a place last year and your score is on the same percentile as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

Does anyone know how many people took GAMSAT Ireland this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

GAMSAT advises that "over 800" sat GAMSAT Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

I would say there is a near certain chance that you will be offered CAO provided all your documentation is in order. Anyone of a score higher than 57 were offered a place last year and your score is on the same percentile as last year.

Absolutely true. There was a small drop in the number of applicants. UCD and RCSI have a combined allowance of over 100 students. If I was to take a guess I would say that Round 0 offers would be:

RCSI: 59
    UCD: 57*
    UCC: 56
    UL: 54

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OrionsShoe

Hypnos wrote: »
    Absolutely true. There was a small drop in the number of applicants. UCD and RCSI have a combined allowance of over 100 students. If I was to take a guess I would say that Round 0 offers would be:

RCSI: 59
    UCD: 57*
    UCC: 56
    UL: 54

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid that may not be entirely true. A lot of people on these boards have been saying there was a drop in the number of applicants this year, and maybe I'm missing something, but the only reliable source I could find quotes a significant 40% increase in first preference applicants to UCD GEM. I couldn't find any information about the other universities.

Here is the link, if you scroll down to the 'Human Health' bit at the bottom you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.ucd.ie/news/2013/03MAR13/140313-UCD-continues-to-attract-the-most-first-preferences-for-university-degrees.html

Hopefully this won't translate into too much of a rise in the points.

OrionsShoe wrote: »
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid that may not be entirely true. A lot of people on these boards have been saying there was a drop in the number of applicants this year, and maybe I'm missing something, but the only reliable source I could find quotes a significant 40% increase in first preference applicants to UCD GEM. I couldn't find any information about the other universities.

Here is the link, if you scroll down to the 'Human Health' bit at the bottom you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.ucd.ie/news/2013/03MAR13/140313-UCD-continues-to-attract-the-most-first-preferences-for-university-degrees.html

Oh I see. People have been saying a national drop which is true. Just didn't realize that there was such a dramatic spike for UCD GEM. Didn't notice that. Just because there is an increase in demand doesn't mean that the points will necessarily rise. Increase in applicants doesn't have to correspond to increase in points, but maybe a 2 pt rise or up to 58. Remember that you have to apply before you even see your GAMSAT result and for some before they even get their final degrees so we shall see :)

OrionsShoe wrote: »

Btw could have so gone without knowing that :) Trying to cast doubt in my mind and fear eh?

Guys can you post your predictions in general and as to why you think it will be those scores... :)
    If there is such a dramatic increase in UCD applicants, I expect the score of UCD to go up to 58* maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OrionsShoe

Btw could have so gone without knowing that :) Trying to cast doubt in my mind and fear eh?

Guys can you post your predictions in general and as to why you think it will be those scores... :)
    If there is such a dramatic increase in UCD applicants, I expect the score of UCD to go up to 58* maybe?

ha yeah sorry, don't mean to be causing fear and doubt!! :) But I figured the exams are done now and the dye is cast, so the more info we have the better we can start planning for where we might end up going.

With regards to predictions, it's just so hard to tell. Like I was trying to figure out why would there be such a dramatic rise in applicants? UCD undergrad med applications are also up slightly which bucks the national trend.

Maybe people are opting away from RCSI towards UCD because of the lower fees and trouble with financing? Or there could be some other weird reason like a UCD spreadsheet error or something :D It's just so hard to tell. But based on the information we do have at the moment, it does look like UCD points will be increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

40% is a huge jump if correct. It surely has to translate into a higher entry threshold, otherwise it would defy common sense.

Re: the question about how many people sat GAMSAT Ireland this year, if you're trying to get a handle on the competition to get a place, bear in mind a huge number of Irish went to the UK last September and may well have not needed to sit the Irish exam. I was one of these, and half the exam hall seemed to be Irish. So, assume that 800 competing for a place is a big under-estimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

oh Christ on the cross!

40 % increase?!

that is not so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

I think or at least i hope the 40% must be a typo or a mistake of some kind. I rang up each of the 4 med schools last week. Admissions at UCC and RCSI told me that there was a slight decrease in the number of applicants this year. UCD said there was a slight increase (perhaps the 40% was meant to be a 4%). UL were quite evasive but I got the feeling that they thought the demand had increased slightly. However I must point out that they all emphasised that none of these were based on any real figures, all just estimates. Also if UCD had a 40% increase then Im assuming since anyone who has applied to UCD has also applied to each of the other 3 GEM programmes then there would have to be a 40% increase over all 4 of the programmes. Also I reckon that an overall increase of 40% in the number of applicants to GEM would have be bigger news than a a few words on some UCD bulletin but then again my judgement might be considered slightly biased for obvious reasons!

John432 wrote: »
    I think or at least i hope the 40% must be a typo or a mistake of some kind. I rang up each of the 4 med schools last week. Admissions at UCC and RCSI told me that there was a slight decrease in the number of applicants this year. UCD said there was a slight increase (perhaps the 40% was meant to be a 4%). UL were quite evasive but I got the feeling that they thought the demand had increased slightly. However I must point out that they all emphasised that none of these were based on any real figures, all just estimates. Also if UCD had a 40% increase then Im assuming since anyone who has applied to UCD has also applied to each of the other 3 GEM programmes then there would have to be a 40% increase over all 4 of the programmes. Also I reckon that an overall increase of 40% in the number of applicants to GEM would have be bigger news than a a few words on some UCD bulletin but then again my judgement might be considered slightly biased for obvious reasons!

To be honest that does sound more plausible than a massive 40% increase in applicants. It's true that more colleges would have seen an increase if UCD had a 40% one, unless you guys are keeping something from me, like no gradmed fees in UCD this year :P (hmmm) 4% sounds much more reasonable.

And it does say:

"At UCD, first preference demand rose by almost 4% with a very strong growth of 40% in the graduate entry to medicine (DN401) compensating for the slight fall in undergraduate medicine (DN400)."

by 4% with a strong growth of 40% compensating for the slight fall in undergrad? If it compensates the undergrad fall then the undergrad applicants can't have had a "slight" (~30% drop). 40% seems just a bit too intense for me with the conditions and loans for gradmed getting progressively worse that it's managing to attract more and more people.

I am almost certain that I read somewhere a few months ago that CAO applications to GEM had decreased overall this year.

If that is true, it surely isn't possible that the UCD applications have increased by 40%?

But then again it does say a "very strong growth of 40% in the graduate entry to medicine (DN401)". So even if the 40% is a typo, they would hardly use the phrase "very strong growth" if there wasn't very strong growth of some sort?

If this is true, I think a 2-3 point increase from last year is not inconceivable.

Knew there would be a spanner in the works somewhere :rolleyes: And here was me thinking I could relax and enjoy my summer without having to worry

I just don't see the points going higher than 59 for any university. RCSI said they saw a drop in applicants and last year a 59 was sufficient and I think that it will be this year too. If the 40% increase is accurate, I expect UCD to go 58*/59. There are more applicants yes, but we had to apply before the gamsat and realistically only people in the top 15-18 percentile secure a place in Dublin. I can't relax too much now either. It keeps plaguing my mind :( What if goes over 60 for both. I'm totally screwed then.

But guys it says that there was a 40% rise in first preference* applicants. Not applicants overall. So isn't that different. Sure there isn't more people applying overall, it's less in Ireland, just more people picked UCD as first preference, and having looked through this forum a LOT of people have UCD as their first choice. May reconsider and put down RCSI myself. Yeh the first preference would bump up UCD points, but pull down RCSI a little. Though I wonder how low would RCSI go out of pride. I'm sure they would never go below 58... They are the best and most expensive program most probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

I rang up Ucd yesterday and got through to the head of admissions. She said that the 40% thing was the first she heard of it and actually asked if I could email her the link to where I saw it as she didn't believe it would be on the ucd website. She did however say that demand had increased into double figures (although nothing nearly as high as 40%) but did not expect the gamsat cut offs to be greatly affected. Hope this provides some relief!

John432 wrote: »
    I rang up Ucd yesterday and got through to the head of admissions. She said that the 40% thing was the first she heard of it and actually asked if I could email her the link to where I saw it as she didn't believe it would be on the ucd website. She did however say that demand had increased into double figures (although nothing nearly as high as 40%) but did not expect the gamsat cut offs to be greatly affected. Hope this provides some relief!

<3 It helps :D

"Not greatly affected" sounds reassuring, but by that she may just mean that it won't be a 5 point jump. Still wouldn't rule out a 2-3 point increase which would leave a lot of people sweating.

So is it possible that UCD points could go above RCSI's for the first time?

If RCSI was 59 last year and applications decreased slightly this year, I would be reasonably confident that i will still get offered somewhere in Dublin with my score. I suppose I'm needing some degree of certainty if I'm going to start looking for accommodation and other things.

Of course I wouldn't be dissapointed if I was offered a place in RCSI, its just that I really like UCD. I was an undergrad there and I loved it. Plus the science facilities that they were building as I was leaving seemed incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

But guys it says that there was a 40% rise in first preference* applicants. Not applicants overall. So isn't that different. Sure there isn't more people applying overall, it's less in Ireland, just more people picked UCD as first preference, and having looked through this forum a LOT of people have UCD as their first choice. May reconsider and put down RCSI myself.

It makes no sense to change your order based on you chances of getting your number one. You will get your highest preference that you have the points for.

• Advertisement

letsdothis wrote: »
    It makes no sense to change your order based on you chances of getting your number one. You will get your highest preference that you have the points for.

I know :)

Advertisement