Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Jammyc wrote: »
    I have no idea what I'm basing this on but I'm going to guess...

UL - 54
    UCC - 56
    UCD - 59
    RCSI - 60

Pulled straight from the air! Anyone have any logic to say they're wrong?

Pretty ok predictions, but there is no reason for the points of RCSI to increase. The overall number of applicants for GradMed dropped and the first choice applicants dropped for RCSI so there is just no way they're going up from 59, I maybe even expect a drop to 58*. I'm thinking maybe this will be the first year where the points for UCD gradmed surpass RCSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

Am reapplying for the gamsat in the uk and have a q about the uk test centres. Which one is the more quiet and less stressing ? I read on boards somewhere that bristol is better since its in some hotel there. Any suggesrions ?

Got 55 ,could take ul and head for the swimming coaching too but ucds on the cards so im caught by choice and safety

I can't really advise as to which is the quietest test centre, but I sat it in London and found it well organised and laid out and wasn't remotely stressful in the slightest. In fact from talking to some of my course mates London was a lot more efficient than Sheffield where they sat it. I wouldn't worry too much about how busy they are unless you think it would really stress you out. It's held in the ExCel in London so there's plenty of hotels etc near by where you can stay and just roll in there the morning of. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

amorris452 wrote: »
    I can't really advise as to which is the quietest test centre, but I sat it in London and found it well organised and laid out and wasn't remotely stressful in the slightest. In fact from talking to some of my course mates London was a lot more efficient than Sheffield where they sat it. I wouldn't worry too much about how busy they are unless you think it would really stress you out. It's held in the ExCel in London so there's plenty of hotels etc near by where you can stay and just roll in there the morning of. :)

You don't know the usual location of the (less efficient!) Sheffield test centre by any chance?

letsdothis wrote: »
    You don't know the usual location of the (less efficient!) Sheffield test centre by any chance?

Haha, well the point I was making wasn't that it was less efficient just don't be put off by large crowds as they're dealt with well. No I don't sorry, but I'll try to find out for you!

letsdothis wrote: »

Just asked a friend, apparently it's in Ponds Forge International Sports Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

amorris452 wrote: »
    Just asked a friend, apparently it's in Ponds Forge International Sports Centre.

Thanks for that. Makes sense too ACER told me it was on Sheaf Street but wouldn't say where exactly.

For anyone that sent documents to the CAO I have a question. In the info sheet with regards to GEM applications what does the following point mean:

"In all cases where an applicant sends supporting documents to the CAO, they should enclose a stamped addressed card/envelope giving details of the documents submitted. This card/envelope will be date stamped when received by CAO and posted back to the applicant."

Kind of confused about it. They want you to put in an address card or enveloped with the documents so they can send it back as verification that the documents were received? Did anyone send it by registered post? Seems less complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

Hypnos wrote: »
    For anyone that sent documents to the CAO I have a question. In the info sheet with regards to GEM applications what does the following point mean:

"In all cases where an applicant sends supporting documents to the CAO, they should enclose a stamped addressed card/envelope giving details of the documents submitted. This card/envelope will be date stamped when received by CAO and posted back to the applicant."

Kind of confused about it. They want you to put in an address card or enveloped with the documents so they can send it back as verification that the documents were received? Did anyone send it by registered post? Seems less complicated.

Yeah it's just verification that they got it. I just sent the stamped addressed envelope. It wasn't really any hassle.

Yeah it's just verification that they got it. I just sent the stamped addressed envelope. It wasn't really any hassle.

Ah I see, and do they send it back to you empty or do they confirm what they received? Thanks by the way!

Ah I see, and do they send it back to you empty or do they confirm what they received? Thanks by the way!

They just send it back empty. Registered post would work too but maybe the empty envelope way ensures the right person in the right dept gets it as opposed to someone at front desk just signing off that they took the registered package?!

• Advertisement

They just send it back empty. Registered post would work too but maybe the empty envelope way ensures the right person in the right dept gets it as opposed to someone at front desk just signing off that they took the registered package?!

Yeh I see. Might end up doing both. Registered and stamped envelope. Might be overkill but I'll be going on a small holiday soon after and can't afford that have any hiccups. Thanks a million!

Yeh I see. Might end up doing both. Registered and stamped envelope. Might be overkill but I'll be going on a small holiday soon after and can't afford that have any hiccups. Thanks a million!

No worries. Can't say I blame you. It's not something you want to take a risk with, I have nightmares about not getting an offer because I missed something for CAO :)

No worries. Can't say I blame you. It's not something you want to take a risk with, I have nightmares about not getting an offer because I missed something for CAO :)

Hahahah, I had a similar dream the other night. Went on holidays and CAO rang me and said they're missing something and I couldn't get back... Never been more happy to wake up.

Hahahah, I had a similar dream the other night. Went on holidays and CAO rang me and said they're missing something and I couldn't get back... Never been more happy to wake up.

I wonder do they know they're such a big part of our thoughts these days! Haha. I'm just back from holidays & the break from waiting on offers & trying to decide which college to put as first preference was amazing! Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

So:
    1. UCD
    2. RCSI
    3. UCC
    4. UL

Anyone else... :)?

demure wrote: »
    So:
    1. UCD
    2. RCSI
    3. UCC
    4. UL

Anyone else... :)?

I'm gonna sit town today and figure out the exact difference in cost as of this year and see how much more RCSI ends up. Might put down RCSI. I'll take a closer look at it soon, but for now my list is the same as yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

I would strongly recommend ringing after a couple of days and making sure they have *every item* in what you sent.

I sent the self-addressed-stamped envelope, *with* a list of the contents of the original envelope, in November. The contents included my documentation for EU status (which I had rung each of the universities to check what they required).
    Surprise, surprise, in April I got that "ineligible due to one of these reasons, contact colleges" e-mails. So I contacted the colleges. And my documentation for EU status was not in the CAO file on me. I called the CAO. Nope, not there, no indication that they ever did anything with that piece of paper but bin it.
    (I had plenty of time, of course, to resend the required information - but you can bet I kept phoning the CAO until they could verify that not only did they have it in their possession, they had scanned it into my file!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

Anybody know how many people sat gamsat ireland this year?

Dreamer4 wrote: »
    Anybody know how many people sat gamsat ireland this year?

In Ireland, shy of 1K. There are UK test centers too for the Irish Gamsat and I don't know how many sat it over there.

Just Wondering what the demand for limerick will b this year, also does anybody know the total number of places for there is for all GEM colleges in ireland? Getting nervous now

• Advertisement

Dreamer4 wrote: »
    Just Wondering what the demand for limerick will b this year, also does anybody know the total number of places for there is for all GEM colleges in ireland? Getting nervous now

If you have a score in the 80th percentile, you will get a place somewhere without any worries. Some guy here on boards was nice enough to call the universities to get that info and the people in the admissions offices said:

UCD: Increase of 40% in first choice applicants and higher GAMSAT cut-offs are expected.

UCC: Decrease in first choice applicants so a similar Cut-off is expected or a tiny drop.

RCSI: Same as UCC

UL: Reluctant to give out info any concrete info but they have an increase in first choice applicants.

Overall, there was a small 5-8% drop in GEM applicants in total compared to last year so you can expect a few more places for people overall but the gamsat scores will most likely fluctuate based on people's CAO applications. :)

If you have a score in the 80th percentile, you will get a place somewhere without any worries. Some guy here on boards was nice enough to call the universities to get that info and the people in the admissions offices said:

UCD: Increase of 40% in first choice applicants and higher GAMSAT cut-offs are expected.

UCC: Decrease in first choice applicants so a similar Cut-off is expected or a tiny drop.

RCSI: Same as UCC

UL: Reluctant to give out info any concrete info but they have an increase in first choice applicants.

Overall, there was a small 5-8% drop in GEM applicants in total compared to last year so you can expect a few more places for people overall but the gamsat scores will most likely fluctuate based on people's CAO applications. :)

Thanks Hypnos! Wow 5-8% is significant (not sure if its significant in the strict statistical sense of the word but you know what I mean) which is a help in the right direction, thanks again for helping great sense of comradary on this forum!!!

New day, new ideas ;-)

1. RC101 Medicine - (Graduate Entry) (Restricted)
    2. DN401 Medicine - Graduate Entry (Restricted)
    3. LM101 Medicine - Graduate Entry (Restricted)
    4. CK791 Medicine - (Graduate Entry) (Restricted)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

New day, new ideas ;-)

1. RC101 Medicine - (Graduate Entry) (Restricted)
    2. DN401 Medicine - Graduate Entry (Restricted)
    3. LM101 Medicine - Graduate Entry (Restricted)
    4. CK791 Medicine - (Graduate Entry) (Restricted)

Why rcsi first?

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    Why rcsi first?

That's a good question ;)

I suppose, living in Killiney, it is further away from me, however, I attended both the Open Days, and I fell head over heels for RCSI... I've no better explanation... Have you decided yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

That's a good question ;)

I suppose, living in Killiney, it is further away from me, however, I attended both the Open Days, and I fell head over heels for RCSI... I've no better explanation... Have you decided yourself?

Ya gotta gimme more than that!!!

No not yet. The open day swayed me toward ucd but I didn't do the rcsi one which isn't helping.

If you were to point to one thing in particular at rcsi what would it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    Ya gotta gimme more than that!!!

No not yet. The open day swayed me toward ucd but I didn't do the rcsi one which isn't helping.

If you were to point to one thing in particular at rcsi what would it be?

Hah, you're really tortured aren't you!

Just like me... :confused:

pc11 wrote: »
    Hah, you're really tortured aren't you!

Just like me... :confused:

And me! I literally think of nothing else these days.

Ditto ;)

I would say that what really appealed to me about RCSI is the fact that they take a very individual approach with teaching...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

And me! I literally think of nothing else these days.

What are we going to do? We gotta come up with something.

Or will inertia win and we'll just leave our preferences as-is? I have RCSI first and I can easily see myself doing nothing.

Advertisement