Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Just out of interest. I haven't seen anyone here yet who put down UL/UCC as their first choice. Anyone here have UCC/UL as their number 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Hypnos wrote: »
    I put down UL as 3rd having visited the place. It has the nicest campus by a long shot. Very accommodating to gradmeds. They also have on campus accommodation for GradMeds exclusively, though I think it's booked out now.

It's cheaper than Cork which is why it's 3rd on my list along with the whole campus thing.

How is UL cheaper than UCC, Hypnos? Is it rentwise?

demure wrote: »
    How is UL cheaper than UCC, Hypnos? Is it rentwise?

Rentwise most certainly (if you're getting campus accommodation I doubt it will make much difference). To save money you need to find a place outside campus. On campus accommodation in UL is 4200 (10 month term for GEM). And commutewise if you're in Dublin anyway. A lot cheaper to get to UL than UCC from Dublin by train (€21 return) or bus (€varies). Transportation is also cheaper in Limerick as far as I know (€1.50) to get around the city is the average price with the buses. Was surprised at how regular their bus lines were. Every 10-15mins which is pretty good outside any capital. There is also a direct bus from UL to Dublin which I only found out when I went there.

Also if you're getting food or a few drinks (outside the shops) then you'll save a small bit there too. Rent and transport are the main focal points of saving though. Rent and living expenses in Cork are higher than Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

RCSI - 59
    DCU- 60
    UCC - 56
    UL - 54

My guess at cut offs.. Based on a feeling in my waters. Feel free to tear it apart

Dreamer4 wrote: »
    RCSI - 59
    DCU- 60
    UCC - 56
    UL - 54

My guess at cut offs.. Based on a feeling in my waters. Feel free to tear it apart

I won't :) Apart from the DCU bit :) I know you mean UCD. I don't think we will see a 3 point jump for UCD. It's too much. Possible but it would be a massive leap that I don't see happening. Worst case scenario for UCD would be 59 in my opinion. 3 points is a big percentile jump.

• Advertisement

I won't :) Apart from the DCU bit :) I know you mean UCD. I don't think we will see a 3 point jump for UCD. It's too much. Possible but it would be a massive leap that I don't see happening. Worst case scenario for UCD would be 59 in my opinion. 3 points is a big percentile jump.

I always mix UCD and DCU up! Damn, to be honest I just picked thos figures out of my head to kick off some discussion about cut offs this year... Sorry if I got anybody worried.

I always mix UCD and DCU up! Damn, to be honest I just picked thos figures out of my head to kick off some discussion about cut offs this year... Sorry if I got anybody worried.

I was worried about about a 3 point increase till I converted it to percentile marks. It makes a big big difference. But sure, speculating is fun, till the actual cut-offs come out August.

Just to follow up on this... Last year UCD was 57* which is a percentile mark of ~77 similar to this year.
    To go to 60pts that would mean a jump to 91st percentile based on the curve which would be ridiculous considering that the overall GEM applicants has decreased this year in Ireland. I think the most realistic increase for UCD is 58-58* (83rd percentile) . Just my opinion though :)

I was worried about about a 3 point increase till I converted it to percentile marks. It makes a big big difference. But sure, speculating is fun, till the actual cut-offs come out August.

Just to follow up on this... Last year UCD was 57* which is a percentile mark of ~77 similar to this year.
    To go to 60pts that would mean a jump to 91st percentile based on the curve which would be ridiculous considering that the overall GEM applicants has decreased this year in Ireland. I think the most realistic increase for UCD is 58-58* (83rd percentile) . Just my opinion though :)

I called up CAO to ask if numbers are up or down and the guy on the phone informed me they were slightly up but of course it is not final as ppl need to get 2;1 to qualify ect ect,
    I wonder what is the lowest percentile is that would assure a place this year?

I called up CAO to ask if numbers are up or down and the guy on the phone informed me they were slightly up but of course it is not final as ppl need to get 2;1 to qualify ect ect,
    I wonder what is the lowest percentile is that would assure a place this year?

The number of overall applicants are up? But I seem to remember that the newspaper article that said overall GEM applicants were down used CAO as it's source. Strange.

In Ireland: 65th (which is a score of 55). Definitely should get you in somewhere.

Dublin: >90th should do it. Minimum in the low 80's with a bit of luck :)

I have a question. I sent my transcript and proof of degree etc to CAO just this weekend. When they get the info will the upload that to your CAO account? Like the degree name, award etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

I have a question. I sent my transcript and proof of degree etc to CAO just this weekend. When they get the info will the upload that to your CAO account? Like the degree name, award etc?

Well they didn't on mine so I hope not. I rang them after I sent mine in and they said they had everything on my file so hopefully everything's ok.

Just checked again to be sure to be sure- it just says "you will be assessed based on the information supplied to the CAO"

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

They don't upload this info. Only your GAMSAT score. I imagine that you should get a letter confirming your eligability for GEM though...

Well they didn't on mine so I hope not. I rang them after I sent mine in and they said they had everything on my file so hopefully everything's ok.

Just checked again to be sure to be sure- it just says "you will be assessed based on the information supplied to the CAO"

Totally agree ring and make sure everything is in order! While you have the time

Have you still got UCD down as number 1 Hypnos or have you jumped ship to RCSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

About the points, I spoke to RCSI Head of Admissions last week. I wrote it up in detail in the UCD vs RCSI thread, but the relevant bit here is that RCSI are very aware that UCD could soon overtake RCSI for points.

He confirmed to me that RCSI is eager to remain the top points course as it is a prestigious and they are looking at ways to ensure that, primarily by keeping the costs differential to a minimum.

Also, I did ring the CAO last week to check explicitly that they had all my documentation recorded: transcript, parchment, proof of EU status, as well as GAMSAT, so I recommend you do that.

The college admissions people will be meeting in the next few days to review everyone's eligibility. I don't know how possible it will be to rectify any problems after that meeting. I would assume that it's not possible so check with CAO immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

kaya770 wrote: »
    1. RCSI
    2. UCD
    3. what? UCC or UL?

Anyone?

Mine will be

1: UCD
    2: RCSI
    3: is a toss up.

Got a score of 70 though so UCD will be the way for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Somalion wrote: »
    Mine will be

1: UCD
    2: RCSI
    3: is a toss up.

Got a score of 70 though so UCD will be the way for me :)

Well Done you! That's a super comfortable situation you're in!

I have RCSI followed by UCD. I have a 67 so no doubt I'll be offered RCSI. I still feel nervous about the choice but time is running out!

Seems like a majority of UCD people here. Is there a swing to UCD this year I wonder?

aggggggghhhhh I'm still not sure!!!!

aggggggghhhhh I'm still not sure!!!!

Tell me about it!!

• Advertisement

does change of mind expire at 5.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

does change of mind expire at 5.30?

It expired at 17:15

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutCOM&ln=i

That's what I thought. It was still allowing me to change at 20 past so I thought it might have been 5.30 instead. I was eager for it to close so I couldn't keep changing my mind!

That's what I thought. It was still allowing me to change at 20 past so I thought it might have been 5.30 instead. I was eager for it to close so I couldn't keep changing my mind!

HAhahahahah I completely forgot that today was the closing date. I was all sicky these past few days and being on the summer holidays makes me lose track of time and days, so I'm happy I don't have to decide anymore :)
    Summer brain :P

1) UCD
    2) RCSI

I hope a 60 will secure a place in UCD/RCSI.

And yeh nomore :) UCD #1 looks like it. Happy about my choices there. I'd be grateful for either so I won't be disappointed if I get an offer from either, though RCSI is gonna hit me hard as I'll have to blow all my savings on covering the difference between the loan and fees.

HAhahahahah I completely forgot that today was the closing date. I was all sicky these past few days and being on the summer holidays makes me lose track of time and days, so I'm happy I don't have to decide anymore :)
    Summer brain :P

1) UCD
    2) RCSI

I hope a 60 will secure a place in UCD/RCSI.

Ah 60 will deffo be enough! Very jealous you'd a stress free day- meanwhile I've no fingernails left and I'm pretty sure I've my first grey hair. Very stressful.

Ah 60 will deffo be enough! Very jealous you'd a stress free day- meanwhile I've no fingernails left and I'm pretty sure I've my first grey hair. Very stressful.

Hope you're not stressed about this whole GEM business. Out of our hands now. I'm gonna ring CAO tomorrow to make sure everything is in order. I checked the delivery record. They got my post this morning :)

I'll start getting grey hair closer to August. 4 weeks isn't long but still a bit to go + I'm not looking forward to my holidays. I'm haunted at the prospect that I might be called while I'm out of Ireland to be told something is wrong or missing and that would just ruin it for me... I'm back on July 31st when I leave in a couple of weeks, so bad timing, but it was that or no holiday... + haven't had a summer break in 3 years.

Hope you're not stressed about this whole GEM business. Out of our hands now. I'm gonna ring CAO tomorrow to make sure everything is in order. I checked the delivery record. They got my post this morning :)

I'll start getting grey hair closer to August. 4 weeks isn't long but still a bit to go + I'm not looking forward to my holidays. I'm haunted at the prospect that I might be called while I'm out of Ireland to be told something is wrong or missing and that would just ruin it for me... I'm back on July 31st when I leave in a couple of weeks, so bad timing, but it was that or no holiday... + haven't had a summer break in 3 years.

Now the decision is made I'm so much happier! The CAO stuff will be grand, you've done everything right by the sounds of things. Fingers crossed we'll be starting UCD in a few weeks!!

Yeh. Think it's the fee difference that's causing people to put UCD down first. So UCD got a big influx of students this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

Yeh. Think it's the fee difference that's causing people to put UCD down first. So UCD got a big influx of students this year.

I went UCD first and I spoke to a few guys about why they were going the same route.

The facilities, campus and the hospitals were the main reasons. I've heard the fees mentioned a few times but I would put the aforementioned first.

• Advertisement

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    I went UCD first and I spoke to a few guys about why they were going the same route.

The facilities, campus and the hospitals were the main reasons. I've heard the fees mentioned a few times but I would put the aforementioned first.

Yeh, it could well be, but nothing has changed in UCD GEM in the past 3 years. Apart from having the new sports center with the pool, cinema, etc. But I've attended UCD and I can honestly say never went once :P. Still Vincents, facilities the same. Campus is good. I hope the pool and cinema aren't the reasons but UCD is investing €500m into it's campus renovations and is gonna go up this year in uni rankings.

For me the choice was financial more so than anything else, considering I just finished an undergrad degree in UCD, so a change of scene would have been welcome. RCSI has a smaller class and is more personal than UCD. If the fees were identical I can't say that I wouldn't have put down RCSI first. I have enough savings to keep me going for a while in UCD while in RCSI I'd have to cover the gap with the money.

Anyways, I have no regrets and either would be perfect. Now comes the 30 day wait for the offers followed by the banks, which is the part I'm worried most about, but hopefully all goes ok. Sure we will cross paths with the RCSI GEM's in our final 2 years.

Advertisement