Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

demure wrote: »
    Well Done you! That's a super comfortable situation you're in!

Thank you very much :D I'm absolutely convinced it was a lot of luck but I won't turn it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ashiii

Hi is anyone going to sit gamsat in uk this September 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Ashiii wrote: »

I'm repeating myself now, but I strongly urge everyone to do the UK GAMSAT in September. I personally went to Bristol and that worked well.

IMO it would be certifiably crazy not to do so if you're serious about GEM, and sitting it ASAP is a good way to find out if you are serious.

EDIT: I didn't mean this it way it might sound. I was talking about myself here; I sat the UK partly to see if I was serious about it and if it was realistic for me to get a good score. It was a great reality check for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

Hi all,

Have been following for a while (well over a year) but this is my first post, I sat GAMSAT in March and got a 59 which I was fairly pleased with since I was also trying to write my final year project at the time, and found out I got my 2:1 in Biomedical science a few weeks back from Cardiff Uni so I think I've met the academic requirements for GEM.

I have RCSI down as first choice ahead of UCD but would be ecstatic with either, TBH the smaller campus / class size really appealed to me more than anything - the unfortunate thing though is if I'm offered a place I'm unlikely to be able to take it up because of fees etc, I've been studying for 4 years having had to do a foundation year first so I have absolutely no savings.

In the interim I'm probably going to seek out work for a year, I know its been mentioned on this thread before but can anyone shed any light on deferring entry for a year - has anyone been able to do this or know anyone who has.

One last thing, I know the UK GAMSAT is accepted in Ireland, can an Irish score be used in the UK?

Thanks, Horse

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been following for a while (well over a year) but this is my first post, I sat GAMSAT in March and got a 59 which I was fairly pleased with since I was also trying to write my final year project at the time, and found out I got my 2:1 in Biomedical science a few weeks back from Cardiff Uni so I think I've met the academic requirements for GEM.

I have RCSI down as first choice ahead of UCD but would be ecstatic with either, TBH the smaller campus / class size really appealed to me more than anything - the unfortunate thing though is if I'm offered a place I'm unlikely to be able to take it up because of fees etc, I've been studying for 4 years having had to do a foundation year first so I have absolutely no savings.

In the interim I'm probably going to seek out work for a year, I know its been mentioned on this thread before but can anyone shed any light on deferring entry for a year - has anyone been able to do this or know anyone who has.

One last thing, I know the UK GAMSAT is accepted in Ireland, can an Irish score be used in the UK?

Thanks, Horse

AFAIK only 2 or 3 deferrals are allowed each year. Contact the admissions office the minute you get the offer and make sure you have your case for deferral ready.

Yes, any GAMSAT is allowed anywhere (that GAMSAT is used).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

pc11 wrote: »
    I'm repeating myself now, but I strongly urge everyone to do the UK GAMSAT in September. I personally went to Bristol and that worked well.

IMO it would be certifiably crazy not to do so if you're serious about GEM, and sitting it ASAP is a good way to find out if you are serious.

How many times have you sat the exam?

chips365 wrote: »
    How many times have you sat the exam?

Just once, but I had planned to do it twice, i.e. in UK as a practice and then in Dublin for real. This is what I urge people to do.

But, I did much better than I expected in the UK and then didn't need to sit in Ireland.

Sitting the UK test gives you practice in what is a complex exam, it focusses you to study now and it gives you a reality check as to where you are and if this is for you. And it saves you waiting until next March to find out. And you may do well enough to not even need to do Dublin. I know that going in relaxed in the UK helped me as I wasn't expecting much.

I honestly can't think of a good reason not to do the UK sitting. The cost isn't huge in the big scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks, Horse

As PC said, there are no more than 2-3 places to defer per year. In UCD this year there are 2 places this year which I happened to find out accidentally because I know a person who is seeking one. You have to accept an offer before you defer the place (I think*, you might wanna just email admissions office to be sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Ashiii wrote: »

Me! In the thick of preparation now. Have just moved from going though each of the science areas from scratch to now working through sample exam questions. Are you sitting it in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

So, it's time to wait now, right?

With nearly 4 weeks ahead of us before we know where we got in, and some 4 more weeks before the actual course starts, is anyone intending to do some preparation for the course? I am personally tempted to get my hands on some books for a taster. Anyone else :)?

I ended up putting the two Dublin colleges as my top choices, followed by UCC and UL. I wonder, does anyone know should I be offered a course below my preference, if I accepted it, could I still be considered in next rounds for a higher level choice? I appreciate your advice :)

• Advertisement

kaya770 wrote: »

With nearly 4 weeks ahead of us before we know where we got in, and some 4 more weeks before the actual course starts, is anyone intending to do some preparation for the course? I am personally tempted to get my hands on some books for a taster. Anyone else :)?

I ended up putting the two Dublin colleges as my top choices, followed by UCC and UL. I wonder, does anyone know should I be offered a course below my preference, if I accepted it, could I still be considered in next rounds for a higher level choice? I appreciate your advice :)

I am tempted too but I actually wanna just enjoy and relax this summer, because I don't see myself having another summer break like this for a good while so I'm gonna refrain from starting early.

I was fortunate enough to get a couple books for free. (From a final year med student). I also have the names of a few books that are quite useful which I got from the same med students and there is one that I heard any med student will need:

"Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine" Heard it's an absolute must have from a few students. I'll have to get that one.

Apart from that you don't really need* to buy books. Most can be taken out of the library. However, the one you will need is the one above (apparently) and books on anatomy since you'll be using them so often.

:) So I'm waiting until I get an offer and sort out my loan before I start buying stuff to make sure everything gets sorted on that end.

I wonder, does anyone know should I be offered a course below my preference, if I accepted it, could I still be considered in next rounds for a higher level choice? I appreciate your advice :)
    Yes. If the points drop for your higher choice in a later round and you have have enough points, you will be offered a place (regardless of whether or not you've accepted a lower preference course).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

With nearly 4 weeks ahead of us before we know where we got in, and some 4 more weeks before the actual course starts, is anyone intending to do some preparation for the course? I am personally tempted to get my hands on some books for a taster. Anyone else?

Yes. I took GAMSAT last year but had missed the CAO date by a few hours (the information provided was harder to get hold of than it should have been), so will be starting this year. I've pretty much spent the last year studying in preparation, as I gather the first year does dump a lot of stuff on us, pretty fast.

Two texts that I think I would strongly recommend, and that get the best reviews from med students overall (including at RCSI) are the "First Aid for the USMLE Step I" (even if you never ever intend to consider taking the USMLE, this is a brilliant summary and memorization aid for, well, pretty much everything) - and "Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" (pathogens of all varieties and their treatments, another brilliant intro, summary, and memorization aid). Having a good look at the basics of anatomy before coming face-to-face with a cadaver (or digital analog thereof if you're going to Limerick, I guess) strikes me as a pretty good idea too. At least I hopefully won't be going "Duh wha'?" when someone puts a scalpel in my trembling fingers and says, "Expose the femoral triangle", or whatever.
    I ended up putting the two Dublin colleges as my top choices, followed by UCC and UL. I wonder, does anyone know should I be offered a course below my preference, if I accepted it, could I still be considered in next rounds for a higher level choice? I appreciate your advice

My vague, very very vague impression was that once you've accepted an offer, that's that and you're stuck with it - but I'm not completely certain, and not even sure that could work the way things are done, or we'd have people lamenting that they'd say, accepted Cork in the first round but then couldn't take the offer they got from Dublin in the third. Anyone got a better clue?

Oh...and I'm hoping for RCSI, assuming CAO hasn't found a new and interesting way to bollix up my paperwork (yeah, I was shocked when I found out they'd just not been bothered to process my EU data when I sent it in November). My GAMSAT was pretty good (66), so I think I'm set.

The main reason I chose RCSI for first choice was because I'm still not certain whether we'll be staying in Ireland or going somewhere in North America after graduation, and RCSI seems to be the best-known and best-respected of the Irish schools (that even do GradMed) internationally. Also, I really like the early start in hospital. UC Dublin was my second choice; can't remember whether I put Cork ahead of Limerick or vice versa for 3 and 4.

As I got my GAMSAT last year, I wondered about doing some serious study in the 10 months that I had to prepare for med school. But, the strong advice I got was not to bother and save yourself for the intensity of the course. Better to relax and get organised and go in fresh they said.

Yes, you can be offered a higher preference in the later rounds of offers, but not lower.

As I got my GAMSAT last year, I wondered about doing some serious study in the 10 months that I had to prepare for med school. But, the strong advice I got was not to bother and save yourself for the intensity of the course. Better to relax and get organised and go in fresh they said.

Yes, you can be offered a higher preference in the later rounds of offers, but not lower.

Thanks all for your advice and some interesting ideas on what to treat myself to in Hodges and Figgis next time :)

I am also hoping for a spot in Dublin, and scared a little about the fact that this year's GEM applications have gone up in comparison to last years'. So, could you elaborate on this, should I be offered a lower choice order course, do I still click accept and will still be considered in further rounds for my higher preference courses?

Thanks a mill :)

Oh by the way, I looked on UCD's GEM website today http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/studywithus/undergraduatecourses/graduateentrymedicine/ and it now says under key info that the GAMSAT requirements are 58*... Should this mean it's this year's requirements? :)

Good luck to all and hopefully see you soon :)!

Thanks all for your advice and some interesting ideas on what to treat myself to in Hodges and Figgis next time :)

I am also hoping for a spot in Dublin, and scared a little about the fact that this year's GEM applications have gone up in comparison to last years'. So, could you elaborate on this, should I be offered a lower choice order course, do I still click accept and will still be considered in further rounds for my higher preference courses?

To be assured a place in GEM, accept whatever you are offered. If it's not the one you want, accepting it will have no impact on whether or not you are offered a place in later rounds for higher pref courses. This is why CAO is designed so that you can rank courses in order of preferences rather than down a course 1st in the belief that it will have lower points.

Oh by the way, I looked on UCD's GEM website today http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/studywithus/undergraduatecourses/graduateentrymedicine/ and it now says under key info that the GAMSAT requirements are 58*... Should this mean it's this year's requirements? :)

That page was updated on May 27th 2013. It does look a bit iffy so I wouldn't trust it because it was made before the CAO even received the transcripts from the students finishing up this year. I wouldn't take it to heart but if it is, then I would be pretty happy with that cut-off score :)

That's not this year's requirements, no-one knows yet what they are, not even the CAO.

Lads, you will drive yourself nuts speculating. We won't know before August 1st or so. But, the points will hardly change more than a point or 2 at most.

That's not this year's requirements, no-one knows yet what they are, not even the CAO.

Lads, you will drive yourself nuts speculating. We won't know before August 1st or so. But, the points will hardly change more than a point or 2 at most.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it's not driving me nuts personally. The speculation is an enjoyable past time to me, and it's a nice reward after a year of hard work towards this goal :)

I'm not sweating the points...but I'm living in terror that CAO will find some new and interesting way to screw my paperwork up. Curse them for not being willing to check the checklist until April, then no rechecks until final processing when it's too late! Would it kill them to do a quick evaluation of materials received when they get them? (am I *still* pissed that they failed to file a crucial piece of information of mine in November? Yes.)

Odd that UCD have the 58* listed as minimum GAMSAT points on their website now, when elsewhere on the website they mention that last year's score range ended up as 57-75. Error on someone's part? Or just an estimate? Can't see them pre-deciding a final cut-off unless Ireland's overall points dropped considerably - especially one with an asterisk, which would defeat a decision to, just on principle, allow no points lower than a given level. Still, rather strange and rather annoying, given that no one will know what the final cut-off for this year will really be *anywhere* until the final round of offers go out - no way to predict how many will have to decline an offer on financial grounds, etc., leaving space for someone who might have scored a little lower.

• Advertisement

I'm not sweating the points...but I'm living in terror that CAO will find some new and interesting way to screw my paperwork up. Curse them for not being willing to check the checklist until April, then no rechecks until final processing when it's too late! Would it kill them to do a quick evaluation of materials received when they get them? (am I *still* pissed that they failed to file a crucial piece of information of mine in November? Yes.)

Odd that UCD have the 58* listed as minimum GAMSAT points on their website now, when elsewhere on the website they mention that last year's score range ended up as 57-75. Error on someone's part? Or just an estimate? Can't see them pre-deciding a final cut-off unless Ireland's overall points dropped considerably - especially one with an asterisk, which would defeat a decision to, just on principle, allow no points lower than a given level. Still, rather strange and rather annoying, given that no one will know what the final cut-off for this year will really be *anywhere* until the final round of offers go out - no way to predict how many will have to decline an offer on financial grounds, etc., leaving space for someone who might have scored a little lower.

You're right about the CAO. I called them up on Friday to make sure everything is in order and they said they'll have everything sorted (documentation wise) by Wednesday for the GEMS so to call then. I don't think this applies to people who didn't graduate this year. I wish they just listed all the documentation they have on file on our CAO accounts. That way we wouldn't have to double check and take their word for it.

As to the second part, if you view page info of that or the source code, you will see that it was updated on May 27th 2013, after the CAO results were released. And it is true that they have a page that says last years points range went from 57-75. Although I do think it's an estimate, I think it's a rather reasonable one. They wouldn't just put that up for no reason whatsoever, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

They said to call Wednesday? ... For an indication of cutoff? Or am I adding 2 and 2 and gettin 6?

Dreamer4 wrote: »
    They said to call Wednesday? ... For an indication of cutoff? Or am I adding 2 and 2 and gettin 6?

They meant with regards to documentation. When I called them they were going through and the documents supplied by GEM applicants and storing them on their computers. They'll all be filed, scanned and in order by Wednesday. They will know the cut-offs by July 20th but they won't tell you as far as I know (I mean, why would they?). Pretty sure you'll get nowhere asking them. The most I got out of them is that there is an overall increase in the number of applicants and that the cut-offs will be marginally affected (i.e Polite way of evading the question)

However, CAO did say over the phone (whether it's true or not I do not know and I took it with a pinch of salt) that a surprising number of applicants sent in transcripts of a 2.2 degree, which disqualifies them and although this happens every year this year there were substantially more 2.2's sent in.

I didn't commit to this or take it to heart but I don't know why you would send in your transcript if you know you don't qualify.

Anyways if anyone does contact CAO to verify their documents have been received and verified etc, do ask about cut-offs and see can you get anywhere with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

I wonder, does anyone know should I be offered a course below my preference, if I accepted it, could I still be considered in next rounds for a higher level choice? I appreciate your advice :)

It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

Check out page 23 of teh CAO Handbook. http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index23.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

Hypnos wrote: »
    You have to accept an offer before you defer the place (I think*, you might wanna just email admissions office to be sure).

If you wish to defer taking up the place for one year, do NOT accept the offer. Instead, follow the instructions as laid out on page 6 of the CAO Handbook.

As to the second part, if you view page info of that or the source code, you will see that it was updated on May 27th 2013, after the CAO results were released. And it is true that they have a page that says last years points range went from 57-75. Although I do think it's an estimate, I think it's a rather reasonable one. They wouldn't just put that up for no reason whatsoever, would they?

Having been the webmaster of more than one 3rd level institution in this country, the idea of trying to determine college policy by looking at the source code of a webpage is, well let's just say ill-founded and even kind of comical. That's just not the way colleges work, trust me. Your faith in the internal processes of colleges being so coherent is touching, but misplaced.

Webpages in a content management system get updated all the time for all kinds of reasons. There could be a new header or menu or just purge of the cache on the server, it doesn't have to be a substantial change to content. The 'last updated' info doesn't mean very much, it's usually automatic and any change of any kind will update it. Trust me, I build these websites.

To anyone reading this thread, do not put any faith in this 'detective' work. Hypnos, you're not helping anyone with this, frankly, including yourself.

The colleges are only meeting around now to review everyone's eligibility. Before that happens, it's not possible for anyone to know what the points could be.

I'm surprised the Mods are allowing this TBH.

EDIT: Look at the cache of this same page from last October, it said 58* then also
    http://web.archive.org/web/20121012065824/http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/studywithus/undergraduatecourses/graduateentrymedicine/

Having been the webmaster of more than one 3rd level institution in this country, the idea of trying to determine college policy by looking at the source code of a webpage is, well let's just say ill-founded and even kind of comical. That's just not the way colleges work, trust me. Your faith in the internal processes of colleges being so coherent is touching, but misplaced.

Webpages in a content management system get updated all the time for all kinds of reasons. There could be a new header or menu or just purge of the cache on the server, it doesn't have to be a substantial change to content. The 'last updated' info doesn't mean very much, it's usually automatic and any change of any kind will update it. Trust me, I build these websites.

To anyone reading this thread, do not put any faith in this 'detective' work. Hypnos, you're not helping anyone with this, frankly, including yourself.

The colleges are only meeting around now to review everyone's eligibility. Before that happens, it's not possible for anyone to know what the points could be.

I'm surprised the Mods are allowing this TBH.

EDIT: Look at the cache of this same page from last October, it said 58* then also
    http://web.archive.org/web/20121012065824/http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/studywithus/undergraduatecourses/graduateentrymedicine/

Oh Dear... I'll do my best to address you but I'm somehow reluctant to believe it will achieve anything.

Guessing GEM points is hardly what I would call determining university policy. I checked when the page was updated and that's about it and I never made it out as doctrine. I don't recall saying that I was investigating the UCD's internal affairs? :P Where you getting this from, honestly? Well even if everything you said was true, I'd at least expect a laugh if you found me comical. :)

The cache of that page from last October said 58*? UCD last year was 58 on round 0. Like I emphasized in my post and numerous times before... I wouldn't take it to heart and I encouraged skepticism of the page

In regards to the part where you ask me to take your word for it and to trust you, my response would be that trusting people on the internet is not really my specialty so forgive me if I don't trust your understanding of the university system. I'm not saying you're wrong.

Right click
    > View Page info isn't good detective work? Damn, well now it makes sense why I wasn't contacted by MI5 after I made that previous post. I was hoping their counter-intelligence team would spot my post and meticulous in depth analysis of the UCD's web page and offer me a place on their team. I heard they're looking for people who can use a web browser and a mouse.

Well if I'm not helping then surely I'm doing some good, you said yourself my detective work is comical. Surely a few laughs never did any harm.

You're surprised the mods didn't censor me? I was thinking the same thing. Before you know it, something crazy like free speech may be granted and then we're all F**cked. Luckily we all have you to listen to :) After all, why wouldn't we? Given all those prestigious accolades you have.

I would refrain from providing your previous working positions here because when you end up saying something stupid, like in your previous post not too long ago, it looks so much worse when you're older, more experienced and well educated. I expected more. After all, you can't fall back on youth and lack of experience as an excuse for arrogance, ignorance or stupidity.

I never claimed what I said to be more than speculation as stated repeatedly and if you think that's harmful for others then you don't give them much credit do you. Not many people on this thread are naive.

By the way, I'm flattered with the interest you've taken in my posts and my well being. If you think it's not doing me any good thinking and guessing, then all the better for you. ;)

<rambling justifying nonsense snipped>

By the way, I'm flattered with the interest you've taken in my posts and my well being. If you think it's not doing me any good thinking and guessing, then all the better for you. ;)

That's quite funny, I was going to comment on the interest you take in MY posts a while back but I have a life.

Hynos, I refrained from responding to your trolling in the past and I will continue to take the high road. You have fun now.

However, CAO did say over the phone (whether it's true or not I do not know and I took it with a pinch of salt) that a surprising number of applicants sent in transcripts of a 2.2 degree, which disqualifies them and although this happens every year this year there were substantially more 2.2's sent in.

I didn't commit to this or take it to heart but I don't know why you would send in your transcript if you know you don't qualify.

That is surprising. Only thing I can think of is maybe that an unusual number of people took the GAMSAT just before graduating, expecting a 2.1, then were unpleasantly surprised by their degree results? Can't see why someone would put themselves to the expense and trouble of GAMSAT otherwise, if they knew their degree transcripts would disqualify them anyway.
    Awful luck for those folk if so, and my sympathies to them!...but maybe slightly better luck for those whose points are in the "high enough to have a chance at the desired school, but low enough to worry about it" zone.

• Advertisement

That is surprising. Only thing I can think of is maybe that an unusual number of people took the GAMSAT just before graduating, expecting a 2.1, then were unpleasantly surprised by their degree results? Can't see why someone would put themselves to the expense and trouble of GAMSAT otherwise, if they knew their degree transcripts would disqualify them anyway.
    Awful luck for those folk if so, and my sympathies to them!...but maybe slightly better luck for those whose points are in the "high enough to have a chance at the desired school, but low enough to worry about it" zone.

Yeh that's pretty much spot on. It's those expecting a 2.1 that probably sent in 2.2 to their surprise. There are lots of applicants who are coming straight from their previous degrees.

Advertisement