Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

pc11 wrote: »
    Fair play for being certain. What did you put down #1 in the end? I'm the opposite in that I have no worries about the offer (RCSI), but I do have worries about the loan and doubts about actually going ahead. Some days I really feel like it would all just be too much.

I'm still more likely than not to go ahead, but still. For one thing, I just hope fervently the hospital working hours will finally be reorganised by the time we get there.

Follow your heart :)! If you are passionate about medicine you should definitely go for it. I think we just need to accept it's going to be tough at times, the financial burden, the working hours and all the rest of it, but I simply cannot think of a more amazing job one could have.

I put down RCSI as my first choice, I suppose it's the one that really clicked for me, would absolutely love to get in there, but we'll see!
    How many hours now???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madslondon2013

Hey does anyone know what time tomorrow results are out?

I've read two different times 06:00 and 10:00 :|

Also...I've got a score of 58 Im just really hoping I get in cork or maybe somewhere in Dublin although that could be wishful thinking with 58???

Will be very hard to sleep tonight! :p
    Good luck everybody! X

Hey does anyone know what time tomorrow results are out?

I've read two different times 06:00 and 10:00 :|

Also...I've got a score of 58 Im just really hoping I get in cork or maybe somewhere in Dublin although that could be wishful thinking with 58???

Will be very hard to sleep tonight! :p
    Good luck everybody! X

Same here!

Fingers crossed!!

The CAO website states that the information is available from 6 am... I sure know I will be checking from then on ;-)!

Hi Demure....ok 6am it is then! What uni are you hoping to get an offer for? Do you know if the offers roll out slowly all day or is it all at once? I'm kinda hoing for RCSI myself seeing as theyve had less people put it as first choice and gamsat scores are a little lower i thought maybe id get in! :rolleyes:that's my logic anyway

xxxx cant wait for tomorrow! :P xxxx

Hi Demure....ok 6am it is then! What uni are you hoping to get an offer for? Do you know if the offers roll out slowly all day or is it all at once? I'm kinda hoing for RCSI myself seeing as theyve had less people put it as first choice and gamsat scores are a little lower i thought maybe id get in! :rolleyes:that's my logic anyway

xxxx cant wait for tomorrow! :P xxxx

Hey! We're in the same boat then :-) I am really hoping for RCSI, who knkws we might just be very lucky! If nit RCSI, I'd like UCD and I put Cork as my third choice. How about you?

I absolutely can't wait for the news! It's been too long!

I have ni previous experience with the CAO so I am not sure how they release the offers, it would be great to know! Anyone any idea please :-)?

Best of luck to all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Any chance of the points going down? V borderline as it stood last year. Think I will be repeating but I would be happy with limerick at this point.

I put UCD RCSI UCC UL in that order I'm hoping for an offer from one of the Dublin unis maybe not in round zero but a later round and il be happy just to go anywhere tbh.

I don't have any experience with CAO either! I'm from the UK...

I thought the general quality of Gamsat results had gone down slightly this year? The curve looks like its shifted to the left anyway. But I guess there could be more applicants to grad med Ireland this year? Who knows! :p xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Will we get offers both by email and post? Will we be able to accept online?

I'm still unclear what BOI require for the loan even though I've asked them several times. They say "proof of acceptance" but I think that means acceptance by the college, ie the CAO offer. But some interpretations say that means my acceptance of that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I got my offer by text message, then logged in online and accepted it. I think an offer came by post the next day but said to ignore it if you accepted online. The college then sent me an acceptance letter (more cynical people would just call it an invoice), which is probably what the banks are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

Good luck everyone for tomorrow. My nerves are absolutely shot at this point. :)

• Advertisement

Biologic wrote: »
    I got my offer by text message, then logged in online and accepted it. I think an offer came by post the next day but said to ignore it if you accepted online. The college then sent me an acceptance letter (more cynical people would just call it an invoice), which is probably what the banks are talking about.

So you found out from a text message where you were going?

I put UCD RCSI UCC UL in that order I'm hoping for an offer from one of the Dublin unis maybe not in round zero but a later round and il be happy just to go anywhere tbh.

I don't have any experience with CAO either! I'm from the UK...

I thought the general quality of Gamsat results had gone down slightly this year? The curve looks like its shifted to the left anyway. But I guess there could be more applicants to grad med Ireland this year? Who knows! :p xxx

Let's hope so!!!

Just curious, have you tried any of the UK colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

I'm for RCSI - my choices were RCSI, Dublin, Cork, and Limerick in that order.

The general expectation seems to be for points to drop slightly, except possibly in UC Dublin (I'm guessing that rising fees and the increasing problem with loans is causing a fair few people to choose UC Dublin over RCSI this year).

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow - and it is only the first round, though I must say the whole "one month to no time to sort out lodgings and funding" thing is downright inhumane. I'm reasonably certain on my GAMSAT points, and I've been having a bitch of a time finding a decent place...finally settled for an apartment with mixed reviews in an area that is somewhat questionable (Herberton), but at least the LUAS is right across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

demure wrote: »
    So you found out from a text message where you were going?

Yup. And, for various CAO related reasons, was convinced I wasn't getting an offer at all that year. So the text came as a pleasant surprise.
    Good luck tomorrow everyone, and enjoy your last month of freedom from friends and family cornering you to ask medical questions.

Let's hope so!!!

Just curious, have you tried any of the UK colleges?

Yes... I applied last year did the ukcat and got 1 interview - interview went well but like many others that year I got wait listed then rejected :( it wasn't that bad but it knocked my confidence a bit so I gave up the ukcat did the Gamsat in march and decided to try again then I learnt about the unis in ireland so applied there. I went for a tour around UCD RCSI and UCC and thought they were all fab! :)

Yes... I applied last year did the ukcat and got 1 interview - interview went well but like many others that year I got wait listed then rejected :( it wasn't that bad but it knocked my confidence a bit so I gave up the ukcat did the Gamsat in march and decided to try again then I learnt about the unis in ireland so applied there. I went for a tour around UCD RCSI and UCC and thought they were all fab! :)

I tried to get in on the GAMSAT, also got 1 interview (Swansea) and whilst I thought I did well (considering how tricky the questions were ;-) ), I didn't get past the waiting list. It's just as well probably as it would mean a lot of hassle moving to Wales with my dogs :-)

Are you in Dublin already yourself?

Another thing I meant to ask, has anyone any idea whether further offers were made past round 0 in UCD and RCSI in previous years?

I tried to get in on the GAMSAT, also got 1 interview (Swansea) and whilst I thought I did well (considering how tricky the questions were ;-) ), I didn't get past the waiting list. It's just as well probably as it would mean a lot of hassle moving to Wales with my dogs :-)

Another thing I meant to ask, has anyone any idea whether further offers were made past round 0 in UCD and RCSI in previous years?

No I'm a Londoner only visited Dublin and cork once recently. That's a shame about Swansea I know how soul destroying it can be esp when the interview goes well! Good luck for tomorrow! Xxxxx :)

No I'm a Londoner only visited Dublin and cork once recently. That's a shame about Swansea I know how soul destroying it can be esp when the interview goes well! Good luck for tomorrow! Xxxxx :)

Thanks a mill and good luck to you too :-) :-)

We should all post here where we got in the minute we find out!

Biologic wrote: »
    Yup. And, for various CAO related reasons, was convinced I wasn't getting an offer at all that year. So the text came as a pleasant surprise.
    Good luck tomorrow everyone, and enjoy your last month of freedom from friends and family cornering you to ask medical questions.

Freedom, ha, I've been getting it since I mentioned studying for the exam last year - friends, family, and pets too. Occupational hazard...

I'm pretty sure that both RCSI and UCD have been sending out offers after round 0 regularly every year. Even in RCSI's highest-ever year (2010, I think it was?) the final points dropped from a round 0 64 to 63 at the end - and since I don't think their final-round cutoffs have been over 60 the last two years (I think it was 59 last year)... well, if I were sitting on a 58, I'd hold my breath and pray, but not without some hope. Especially given the trouble getting loans; I shan't be surprised at all if some people who got in on round 0 or 1 were still screwed over by financial issues.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that both RCSI and UCD have been sending out offers after round 0 regularly every year. Even in RCSI's highest-ever year (2010, I think it was?) the final points dropped from a round 0 64 to 63 at the end - and since I don't think their final-round cutoffs have been over 60 the last two years (I think it was 59 last year)... well, if I were sitting on a 58, I'd hold my breath and pray, but not without some hope. Especially given the trouble getting loans; I shan't be surprised at all if some people who got in on round 0 or 1 were still screwed over by financial issues.

I think you're right with RCSI it's been 59 for the last 3 years (correct be if I'm wrong) and this year app more people put UCD down as their first choice instead of RCSI so by that logic I'm hoping il get into Dublin it really stinks about funding. I have to ask my family to fork out which is a big ask as I can't get a loan from Irish or uk banks. Even in the uk the fees have gone up and up. :( x

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

finally settled for an apartment with mixed reviews in an area that is somewhat questionable (Herberton), but at least the LUAS is right across the street.

Hey Stephan,

Just a heads up in case you weren't aware, if that's Heberton Apartments (ex Fatima Mansions) in D8 you're on the wrong Luas line! You need the green line which runs from Stephens Green to RCSI Sandyford whereas you're on the red line. They are connecting the two but work is literally only beginning on it so won't be finished for years yet. It's still not a bad commute - etymon lived near James' hospital in first year & remember it only took her 25-35 mins to walk to green Luas in morning, but just in case thought I should let you know.

tiredcity wrote: »
    Hey Stephan,

Just a heads up in case you weren't aware, if that's Heberton Apartments (ex Fatima Mansions) in D8 you're on the wrong Luas line! You need the green line which runs from Stephens Green to RCSI Sandyford whereas you're on the red line. They are connecting the two but work is literally only beginning on it so won't be finished for years yet. It's still not a bad commute - etymon lived near James' hospital in first year & remember it only took her 25-35 mins to walk to green Luas in morning, but just in case thought I should let you know.

Yep, that's the place - thanks for the info! I figured it would be easy enough to take the red line to city centre and switch to the green for Sandyford, yes?

Yep, that's the place - thanks for the info! I figured it would be easy enough to take the red line to city centre and switch to the green for Sandyford, yes?

Yep! You can get the red luas to middle abbey st and walk up o'connell st -> past trinity -> grafton st & get the green luas from stephen's green but it's still probably a 15min walk. Every year people rent places on the wrong line unintentionally so just wanted to make sure you knew. Heberton itself is lovely but if you're not familiar with the area just be really careful wandering about til you are. Rialto is not exactly the safest place to live but if you're relatively copped on & mind your own business you should be grand. It's inner city Dublin so there's similar problems in lots of the developments.

Yep! You can get the red luas to middle abbey st and walk up o'connell st -> past trinity -> grafton st & get the green luas from stephen's green but it's still probably a 15min walk. Every year people rent places on the wrong line unintentionally so just wanted to make sure you knew. Heberton itself is lovely but if you're not familiar with the area just be really careful wandering about til you are. Rialto is not exactly the safest place to live but if you're relatively copped on & mind your own business you should be grand. It's inner city Dublin so there's similar problems in lots of the developments.

That sounds fine to me, not a bad transition at all, especially since I gather that things like the main library and the gym and such are in Stephen's Green? Happily, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with keeping out of trouble in grotty areas of cities - parts of Dallas, and, indeed, London where I used to hang out were probably a good bit worse than Rialto, from what I've seen and heard of it - so not unduly worried about the neighborhood

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Hey Stephan,

I was just about to post this! That's the wrong Luas line, there's a fair gap between the 2 lines. I suppose it's too late to change now Stephan??

That sounds fine to me, not a bad transition at all, especially since I gather that things like the main library and the gym and such are in Stephen's Green? Happily, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with keeping out of trouble in grotty areas of cities - parts of Dallas, and, indeed, London where I used to hang out were probably a good bit worse than Rialto, from what I've seen and heard of it - so not unduly worried about the neighborhood

The vast majority of folk round there are absolutely grand and huge amounts of money was poured into the regeneration. Unfortunately the area has dusted off its prior reputation due to rare incidents like this. You're going to get well acquainted with the local characters one way or another taking the red line and there's a busy methadone clinic in James' so for your own sake just always be excessively careful with smartphones etc. Standard city precautions which you're well aware of already! I wouldn't really recommend the area if you were some 18 year old foreign ingenue who'd never lived away from home and didn't know the city, but you seem to know what you've signed up for so you'll be fine and I'm sure it'll suit you well. Loads of students live in the blocks.

As regards library and gym, the library is fine but a lot of people studied in Sandyford and lugging anatomy books around all day is exercise enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who will likely not be able to take up my place even if I get an offer because of the loan situation, when the loan potentially covered living expenses it was at least feasible to start the GEM straight out of a degree but with the debt I'm in from overdrafts and having no savings from the 4 years previous I can't see a way of managing and I'm gonna have to take a year out to work and save, and hopefully defer any offer for a year.

Anyone else in a similar position of not being able to take up offers due to finances?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Wish CAO would just release the offers now so I can at least fall asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm one of those people who will likely not be able to take up my place even if I get an offer because of the loan situation, when the loan potentially covered living expenses it was at least feasible to start the GEM straight out of a degree but with the debt I'm in from overdrafts and having no savings from the 4 years previous I can't see a way of managing and I'm gonna have to take a year out to work and save, and hopefully defer any offer for a year.

Anyone else in a similar position of not being able to take up offers due to finances?

You going to attempt to defer a place?

Advertisement