Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Hypnos wrote: »
    Wish CAO would just release the offers now so I can at least fall asleep!

Yes!

What kind of time is it 6am anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

demure wrote: »
    Yes!

What kind of time is it 6am anyway?!

I know I will pass out from exhaustion but the question is when. The wait is making me nauseous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

You going to attempt to defer a place?

Yeah, I'm hoping to get someone sympathetic on the phone (or in person) and try to explain that the application was made this year in good intention, hoping I would be able to fund it - I don't know how that will work out and I don't know how favourable they would be for someone to turn down a place then reapply the next year (I only sat the GAMSAT in March so I've another year left with a relatively decent score).

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm hoping to get someone sympathetic on the phone (or in person) and try to explain that the application was made this year in good intention, hoping I would be able to fund it - I don't know how that will work out and I don't know how favourable they would be for someone to turn down a place then reapply the next year (I only sat the GAMSAT in March so I've another year left with a relatively decent score).

Best bet is call the university as soon as their lines open. You don't accept the place on the CAO if you wish to defer. You ring the uni. So I'd say the sooner you get on to them, the better chances you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Well best of luck to all you folks who're finding out tonight/tomorrow morning - I did the GAMSAT this year but am applying next year... so it's good to see what's ahead of me...!

• Advertisement

Best bet is call the university as soon as their lines open. You don't accept the place on the CAO if you wish to defer. You ring the uni. So I'd say the sooner you get on to them, the better chances you have.

Thanks for the advice yeah, preferable would be a conditional deferral, as in 'if I'm unable to secure the loan for fees can I secure a deferral' but I think that would largely be taking the piss so I need to make a judgement tomorrow morning - obviously I need an offer first though!

Oh yeah, best of luck to everyone for the morning, I've been reading this thread for 6 months or so but have only recently started posting so I'll be looking forward to seeing how everybody gets on,

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

Thanks for the advice yeah, preferable would be a conditional deferral, as in 'if I'm unable to secure the loan for fees can I secure a deferral' but I think that would largely be taking the piss so I need to make a judgement tomorrow morning - obviously I need an offer first though!

Haha I think we'd all conditionally defer then :) I'll be accepting my offer but may not be able to take it up if the bank refuse my loan application. If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a bean of savings, but plan to work during the year (and especially work every hour that God sends during christmas & summer) to keep myself going. It will definitely be challenging but I'd rather be absolutely exhausted & be pushed to the pin of my collar than to wait another year. In saying that, if you're straight out of undergrad you have age on your side, so in terms of time you can afford to work & save!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Good luck tomorrow, hope you're all happy with whatever the morning brings! Feels like yesterday I was having the same anxious night's sleep, yet somehow we're all heading into final year. Know the funding issue has put a major spanner in the works for a lot of people and it's atrocious that it's been allowed to devolve into this from the original idealism, but from the bank's POV under the current timeframe for loan repayment it's probably justifiable. Nonetheless, if this is what you really want to do, you'll hopefully find a way and working for a year is but a blink in the scheme of things.

Haha I think we'd all conditionally defer then :) I'll be accepting my offer but may not be able to take it up if the bank refuse my loan application. If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a bean of savings, but plan to work during the year (and especially work every hour that God sends during christmas & summer) to keep myself going. It will definitely be challenging but I'd rather be absolutely exhausted & be pushed to the pin of my collar than to wait another year. In saying that, if you're straight out of undergrad you have age on your side, so in terms of time you can afford to work & save!

Eh no, I'm 32, went back as a mature student and studied biomedical science but I still look youthful enough to be mistaken for a young doctor if the time eventually comes :P

But yeah, it's looking like a year out, hopefully with work in a relevant field so my brain doesn't turn to mush in the meantime

• Advertisement

Eh no, I'm 32, went back as a mature student and studied biomedical science but I still look youthful enough to be mistaken for a young doctor if the time eventually comes :P

But yeah, it's looking like a year out, hopefully with work in a relevant field so my brain doesn't turn to mush in the meantime

You got me! I thought I read something about just out of undergrad and I jumped to conclusions. A year is very little time in the grand scheme of things & if that years savings makes life easier in the long run it'll probably be worth it especially if you don't want to work & study.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Wow - I'm impressed at your determination and energy, really hope things work out for you! For everyone, truly; but that kind of dedication is notable.

And even at 32, Dr HoRse has age on his (apologies if I'm wrong on the gender there) side, at least from my ancient perspective...

Damn. Am I the only one awake? 7 more mins

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo UCD baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ojomhgoek

UL here I come:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

ojomhgoek wrote: »
    UL here I come:)

Me too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo UCD baby!

Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

amorris452 wrote: »
    Congratulations! :)

Congratulations :-)!

RCSI here Wooooohoooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

UCD baby!!!

Congrats to everyone who receives an offer for wherever, Im sure we'll all make fantastic (broke, exhausted, frustrated :D ) doctors and I look forward to hopefully working with a lot of ye!!

On those who received an offer, commiserations but keep the head up, I was in your position before and it'll all work out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madslondon2013

Got Ito my first choice UCD with 58 can't believe it!! Xxxx so happy! Does anyone know what halls are close to the Uni that are nice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ojomhgoek

amorris452 wrote: »
    Me too! :)

Congrats! I'm so happy this waiting is over, its been awful.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Conor W. B

I got UCD too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SunshineGirl22

Congratulations guys! Just to check: if we accept an offer for a lower preference and the points drop in the second round for our higher preference to meet our score - we are offered it right? Even though we have accepted the other choice? The CAO confirmed this with me before but just wanna double check with others! Got offered UL which I'm delighted about but I'm really hoping for Cork. Sitting on a score of 56 so Cork was definitely 56* or above again first round (same as last year).

Got my first pref - RCSI, delighted but bittersweet. Now to arrange a deferral or win the lotto

BOOM UCD, 2 hurdles down, 1 to go, bring on the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Captain Teebs

UCD heads, please see below for a facebook group to join your future colleagues. Well done on getting a place to those who have and if you haven't and still have your heart set on it keep trying, plenty of people do it multiple times over multiple years!
    Hi there,

Congrats on getting a place! Linked below is a facebook page for your class. I'm in the class of 2016 and each year the class from the year ahead set up a page for incoming students to ease you in and let you ask questions of current students etc. There'a a few of us already in the group who have volunteered to be 'peer mentors' from September and show people around and try help out with any problems you might have.

For anyone else reading this feel free to add yourself if you'll be in the class.

As you've said, the Irish students won't get their GAMSAT scores until next week (I think) and then won't get their official offer/acceptance until the beginning of August so it will be a while yet for the majority.

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/589669644391172/

If you don't have a facebook account it's advisable to create one (if only) for the course because a lot of useful information is shared on the class page throughout the year.

I should have added this group for North Americans actually. It's for any students from Canada/USA studying medicine in Ireland and helps you out with queries about preparing for/applying to work in North America. https://www.facebook.com/groups/151843591542652/

Got Ito my first choice UCD with 58 can't believe it!! Xxxx so happy! Does anyone know what halls are close to the Uni that are nice?

I got my undergrad degree in UCD. The med building is absolutely spotless. It has lovely, new, clean lecture halls and anatomy/dissection labs + there is a med library in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Emma Catherine

Just got offered UCD :):):)

Can anyone help me with what I've to do loan wise.. Who should I ring now?? Or how will I go about it? I appreciate any advice you guys have! Hope there's plenty of happy people this morning :):):)

Just got offered UCD :):):)

Can anyone help me with what I've to do loan wise.. Who should I ring now?? Or how will I go about it? I appreciate any advice you guys have! Hope there's plenty of happy people this morning :):):)

Relax :):):) Wait for the little slip CAO sends to your post. You use that as proof of acceptance, and then go to BOI Montrose branch across the road from UCD and apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

UCD choice number 1 accepted!!! Brillo pad

Advertisement