Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Congratulations all!

I'll see whoever of ye in UCD in a few weeks time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Over-eager I know, but when did people start to receive things in the post from UCD re: health screening/registration etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

Hey guys,

Yeah, I got a Round Zero offer to attend UCD as well. If I can organise my finances in time, I hope to see some of you there come beginning of September.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

UCD-bound too.

Ps. Congrats to all. The wait is finally over (and will be soon for subsequent offers too)

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has gone up already, but here are the Round 0 cut-offs:

http://www2.cao.ie/points/Graduate%20Medicine%202013%20Round%200.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Jammyc wrote: »
    Over-eager I know, but when did people start to receive things in the post from UCD re: health screening/registration etc.?

If I were you I'd get the Garda vetting out of the way. It can take 8 weeks to do whereas health screening is a lot faster. The health screening part will be explained to us I'm sure :) or we'll get the information at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Wow, I've only counted four or five people for RCSI so far, compared to a huge load for UCD. Mainly the financial issues? I plumped for RCSI in the end because I'm not 100% sure that I'll be staying in-country, but got the impression that the two schools were pretty much evens-up in terms of quality of teaching and respect within Ireland - is that so?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Wow, I've only counted four or five people for RCSI so far, compared to a huge load for UCD. Mainly the financial issues? I plumped for RCSI in the end because I'm not 100% sure that I'll be staying in-country, but got the impression that the two schools were pretty much evens-up in terms of quality of teaching and respect within Ireland - is that so?

They're both excellent to study medicine in. UCD is very convenient and for me it was the convenience of having to get only 1 bus and Vincents is just a walk away. Also the financial aspect came into play. I'm also so familiar with UCD that I'll be walking back to my home uni and I know how everything works there and where everything is so no adapting.

The med library is gorgeous and it's in the med building so everything is just there. I've also seen the cadavers and dissection labs, bones etc during an elective module I took called 'Forensic Anthropology' so I was very impressed with the set up.

I know this may seem little, but the white coat ceremony is another nice add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Both places do that last thing Hypnos, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Kara27

I know its still a guessing game but just wondering if you think the points will go down in the next round?
    For example UCC is 56*. Do you think it will go to 56? Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

Jammyc wrote: »

You will receive a preliminary batch of materials shortly (mine arrived about a week after Round A) by both e-mail and by post.

The e-mail is as follows:
    CAO Number: 13700715

Course: DN401

Dear <snip>

Congratulations on gaining a place in University College Dublin. We note you have now accepted your offer with the CAO.

To help you plan your summer, here are some important dates for you to note:

19 August Information packs will be posted to incoming first years

From 22 August Online registration will be available (instructions will be included in the pack)

3-6 September Compulsory First Year Orientation week. (Check online for your individual schedule of events www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents from mid-July)

9 September Semester 1 starts

In the meantime if you require any further information about courses and modules, please visit www.myucd.ie or, if you can’t find the answer there, contact studentdesk@ucd.ie.

You should bookmark the following website now www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents and refer to it from early August. This will be your one stop shop for key support information including registration and orientation information as you prepare to commence your studies in UCD this September.

We look forward to welcoming you to UCD in September and hope you will be successful in your studies and enjoy your time here.

Yours sincerely

<snip>
    Director of Admissions

The postal mailing included some information on Infectious Diseases and General Health, a Garda Vetting Form and details on some mature student courses available in August.

Check out the Programme Requirements page for more information on Garda Vetting and Health Screening. For the Garda Vetting you should start putting together a list of everywhere you have lived.

Orientation will be Wednesday 4th to Friday 6th September. The timetable is here.

Academic timetable for 2013/14 is here

Kara27 wrote: »
    I know its still a guessing game but just wondering if you think the points will go down in the next round?
    For example UCC is 56*. Do you think it will go to 56? Thanks

I'd be really surprised if there weren't at least a slight drop in points on the next round. I suppose you'd have to look at the percentile curve and estimate the number of people who got 56, 55, etc., to get a more reasonable guess on the odds, as the more there are on each score the less visible drop there will be. But given that there's always been some degree of drop-off in subsequent rounds, and that financing the course and living costs, etc., has not exactly gotten any easier since last year (at least not to my knowledge), I'd say that the odds were in favour of someone who is sitting on a 56 and didn't get into the Round 0 *lottery the first time still getting an offer from Cork before time is up.

Incidentally, does anyone have the percentile curve for this year? I believe it was on the ACER site, but I took GAMSAT last year and I think my access to the site ran out. Purely a matter of academic curiosity for me now, but I am curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I'd be really surprised if there weren't at least a slight drop in points on the next round. I suppose you'd have to look at the percentile curve and estimate the number of people who got 56, 55, etc., to get a more reasonable guess on the odds, as the more there are on each score the less visible drop there will be. But given that there's always been some degree of drop-off in subsequent rounds, and that financing the course and living costs, etc., has not exactly gotten any easier since last year (at least not to my knowledge), I'd say that the odds were in favour of someone who is sitting on a 56 and didn't get into the Round 0 *lottery the first time still getting an offer from Cork before time is up.

Incidentally, does anyone have the percentile curve for this year? I believe it was on the ACER site, but I took GAMSAT last year and I think my access to the site ran out. Purely a matter of academic curiosity for me now, but I am curious...

The percentile curve was posted somewhere here when the results came out, have a search. I posted the UK curve myself last November here.

Here's a wild guess: points are more likely to fall for UCD than RCSI. I say this because UCD is a bigger cohort so more may be likely to drop out in absolute numbers. Plus, my guess is that RCSI people may have already planned for the higher costs and may be a little more definite in their funding plan.

I'd also be very interested to know the average ages in UCD vs RCSI. My guess would be RCSI students may be a fraction older and hence more definite in their finances. This is all speculation.

Now, how this translates to points is hard to know as we don't now how many random selections there were and how many people are sitting on the points cutoff but without an offer.

I do know the colleges at least attempt to avoid random selection in regular undergrad courses and will actually juggle the class size a little to do so. But, this doesn't really apply to GEM as the class sizes are essentially fixed.

Does anyone have any updates from BOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dbmr7

pc11 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any updates from BOI?

I got a phonecall this morning and they sent an email with details just afterward. If anybody would like me to forward it just PM me an email address and I'll happily oblige.

dbmr7 wrote: »
    I got a phonecall this morning and they sent an email with details just afterward. If anybody would like me to forward it just PM me an email address and I'll happily oblige.

What did they say as regards the time-frame for deciding on the loans? Someone yesterday said August 20th which would be ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

Has anyone got the loan application form that they can forward to me? I've asked the bank now three times to email it to me and they keep saying they will and then they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Can anybody answer this, I'm sitting on a 57 and hoping to get a higher offer on the next round. When I calculate my score it is actually 57.25, so does this mean I am at an advantage versus somebody who got bang on 57 (so 57.0)?

gh1 wrote: »
    Can anybody answer this, I'm sitting on a 57 and hoping to get a higher offer on the next round. When I calculate my score it is actually 57.25, so does this mean I am at an advantage versus somebody who got bang on 57 (so 57.0)?

No, your score is 57, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

Has anyone got the loan application form that they can forward to me?

I received the attached form today.

DeadEight wrote: »
    I received the attached form today.

THANK YOU!!! :D

I received a package from RCSI today. It has info on screening, garda vetting and so on. And a request for €1,000 deposit by next Thursday. I was rather miffed at this at first as I don't even have the loan yet and it says it's non-refundable.

However, it does then say it can be refunded if I don't get the BOI fees loan.

It also asks me to supply 2 passport photos. You would think for 17K per year they could take a bloody photo. I've studied and worked in 6 different colleges and I've never had to supply my own photos. Apart from the cost, they normally want to take their own photo to ensure it's current and it's me.

Must. Remain. Calm.

I received a package from RCSI today. It has info on screening, garda vetting and so on. And a request for €1,000 deposit by next Thursday. I was rather miffed at this at first as I don't even have the loan yet and it says it's non-refundable.

However, it does then say it can be refunded if I don't get the BOI fees loan.

Does anyone know if UCD have the same policy? Can't say I was expecting that!

The percentile curve was posted somewhere here when the results came out, have a search. I posted the UK curve myself last November here.

I saw this year's post when it came out, but for some reason the actual image refused to come up on my computer - not sure why.

Here's a wild guess: points are more likely to fall for UCD than RCSI. I say this because UCD is a bigger cohort so more may be likely to drop out in absolute numbers. Plus, my guess is that RCSI people may have already planned for the higher costs and may be a little more definite in their funding plan.

That sounds fairly plausible to me.

I'd also be very interested to know the average ages in UCD vs RCSI. My guess would be RCSI students may be a fraction older and hence more definite in their finances. This is all speculation.

That, too, is plausible; both certainly apply to me, for all a sample of one is worth (i.e., bugger-all in real terms, I know).

Now, how this translates to points is hard to know as we don't now how many random selections there were and how many people are sitting on the points cutoff but without an offer.

Yeah...

I had a similar reaction to the RCSI package - surprised at the request for photos, and even more surprised at the sudden demand for €1000 before folk had a chance of getting their loans sorted. Would it have killed them to mention that in the "fees" section of their website so that applicants could be prepared to have metaphorical cash in hand when the time came?

(Also, the booklet annoyed me because it reminded me of the Bloody. Useless. Ill-Organized. Uninformative. Website. I expect to love RCSI itself - if I didn't, I'd be going to UCD, which impressed me immensely at last year's Open Day - but I hate its website, I do).

I saw this year's post when it came out, but for some reason the actual image refused to come up on my computer - not sure why.

That sounds fairly plausible to me.

That, too, is plausible; both certainly apply to me, for all a sample of one is worth (i.e., bugger-all in real terms, I know).

Yeah...

Gotta work on that quoting Stephan! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

So who else is going to RCSI? So far I see yourself and pc11...

Any idea is there a FB page set up for us yet...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

I'm heading to RCSI too! Passport photos may be for Garda Clearance as well as file. I've had to supply far too many passport photos in the past for Garda clearance so assumed it was for this reason. No idea if there's a fb page yet (i'll check). Might make one and post details here if not! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

Fb already in existance. RCSI GEP class of 2017. :)

Advertisement