Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant I raise money for charity?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I tried to raise some money for charity with a thread in afterhours. Why am I not allowed. We could of raised lots of money that would of came out of my pocket! I was not asking anyone for money it would of all came from me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Read the Charter, buddy. Make note of this part:

Do not post here to reach a larger audience

and this part:

No advertising/spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Read the Charter, buddy. Make note of this part:

Do not post here to reach a larger audience

and this part:

No advertising/spam.

Where is your sense of charity. I am not a thanks whore or anything like this I thought it was a genuine idea to raise money. Plus I reject the allegation that I am advertising/spaming please withdraw that remark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The most amount of thanks is over 1600 i think, which would be €8.
    Hardly worth the effort tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

bensweeney wrote: »
    Where is your sense of charity. I am not a thanks whore or anything like this I thought it was a genuine idea to raise money. Plus I reject the allegation that I am advertising/spaming please withdraw that remark!
    If they allow you, whats to stop every charity coming and clogging up the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If they allow you, whats to stop every charity coming and clogging up the forum?
    That, and how are we to be assured of charitable status and legitimacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

To be honest I hate Grafton street now with all of the charities chasing you down the street, work also - every day there is someone else popping around for some event as well as the collection tins at the checkouts for your change.

If I had to face that here - well I am just glad I don't.

OP - please read the charter - as well as protecting us it protects you - best of luck with your event.

Gordon wrote: »

Yes but it would be my money, all I am asking for is people to thank the post. I plant to have 10,000 Thanks which would make fifty euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gordon wrote: »

Yes but it would be my money, all I am asking for is people to thank the post. I plant to have 10,000 Thanks which would make fifty euro.

If I wanted to donate to charity, I would. I don't want it pressed into my face in the one of two places I come too to get away from the real world...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If people could buy thanks for half a penny some sad cases would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Why don't you just donate the money? Why do you need the thanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So why don't you just donate and tell people you've donated?

If we were to let everyone do what you did, we'd get similar threads, we'd get people also trolling by not donating, by linking to videos that need hits for their YouTube success, donating to dodgy charities etc etc.

What makes your cause so different that we should break with tradition and allow charity pimping?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

jaysus, the lengths people will go to for thanks now is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I wouldn't mind but the second post in that thread was far more thanks-worthy and would've ripped your piss-poor effort a new one in a race for thanks, tbh.

*whistles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It's a poor effort to defend spamming.

I've an idea.

Submit a deposit of 200 Euro to the administration. If you reach a target of say 10,000 thanks at a penny a thanks, boards will donate the 100 to Santa's strike force and refund you your other tonne. If you fail, they will refund you 150 and donate 50 to santas strike force. Win win

Boards.ie does enough for charity; the SSF appeal every Christmas, people raising money through Shave or Dye, Movember and so on.

It's a poor effort to defend spamming.

I've an idea.

Submit a deposit of 200 Euro to the administration. If you reach a target of say 10,000 thanks at a penny a thanks, boards will donate the 100 to Santa's strike force and refund you your other tonne. If you fail, they will refund you 150 and donate 50 to santas strike force. Win win

I will do that so, I will pm you my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I tried to raise some money for charity with a thread in afterhours. Why am I not allowed. We could of raised lots of money that would of came out of my pocket! I was not asking anyone for money it would of all came from me.

There are better ways to raise money for charity. How much did you expect make in AH? What is more important you getting thanks or money for charity?

hondasam wrote: »
    There are better ways to raise money for charity. How much did you expect make in AH? What is more important you getting thanks or money for charity?

I dont care about the thanks at all. I could of raised a lot money and still can. I wil be sending 200 Euro to be held until the thread is closed. I am waiting for pm back from above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

I dont care about the thanks at all. I could of raised a lot money and still can. I wil be sending 200 Euro to be held until the thread is closed. I am waiting for pm back from above

If that's the case why not ask the mod to "Sticky" your original thread and pay the money over for the thanks on the second post, it already has a lot of 'thanks' so it's a good start for the charity.

If that's the case why not ask the mod to "Sticky" your original thread and pay the money over for the thanks on the second post, it already has a lot of 'thanks' so it's a good start for the charity.

because it was my idea I should be getting the thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, so you are just taking thanks-whoring to a new level. This isn't about charity at all! Oh, how bitter and painful is this sense of disappointment. *weeps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Where is your sense of charity. I am not a thanks whore ...
    I dont care about the thanks at all...

Hmmmm.

Well i wont be reopening or stickying it so maybe you should just be nice and donate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

This is the point I was making, what's more important thanks or charity? Thanks is obviously what you want.
    In other words you want to be the most thanked person on boards, how sad. Using a charity as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I dont care about the thanks at all
    Here's a crazy idea. I know you're going to think this is insane, and wildly outside-the-box thinking, but give it some thought:
    1. Don't post a thread yet
    2. Find a charity you're interested in, one that could do with some money
    3. Continue to hold off on posting your thread on boards
    4. Decide on an amount to give, whatever you think would help them
    5. Write out your thread, but don't hit "Submit Reply" yet!
    6. Give the amount you decided on in step 4 to the charity you decided on in step 2
    7. Now these next steps are important:
      1. Look at the post you've written
      2. Highlight all of the text using your mouse
      3. Find the Delete key on your keyboard
      4. Press it
      5. Find the big 'X' in the top-right corner of your browser
      6. Press that too
    The next time you feel the urge to give to charity, you can whittle it down to steps 2, 4, and 6, but for this first time, I strongly recommend you follow the full guide above

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think the main point is being overlooked here. Posting just to accumulate "thanks" is not allowed - despite objections it is being a "thankswhore".

@bensweeney: while you have good intentions the issue is not with you raising money for charity, its for the precedent that would be set. Posting with the sole purpose of accumulating thanks is against the rules and just as you would be turned down if you walked into a garda station and said "I'd like to walk down O'Connell street firing off my flamethrower during rush-hour and I'll donate €10 to charity for each person I set on fire" you are being turned down here. If you want to donate to charity, then do that, donate but please dont start "chugging" people on this site. After all, which is more important, the warm glowy feeling you get from seeing anonymous usernames "like" what you've posted or the good work your money will be put to by whatever charity you donate to?

closing this thread as it has more than run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement