Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I tax a new(to me) bike?

• 23-04-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I just remembered I have no tax on my bike.

I bought it about two months ago. I received the vehicle log book. So how do I go about taxing it? I am used to receiving a pin in the post and paying online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

you can pay in the tax office with a laser card. Bring in your cert and your insurance details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Fill this in and post or drop into your local tax office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you havent used the bike for the last 2 months,then pop down to your local garda station and get a "declaration of non use" form filled out and stamped by the garda there.

Very quick and easy to do this.

Then go to the motor taxation office with your stamped form,licence,log book and insurance cert and you can get the bike taxed from present day for the next year,

You wont have to pay for the last 2 months either.

Simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I bought it about two months ago. I received the vehicle log book. So how do I go about taxing it? I am used to receiving a pin in the post and paying online.

If you havent used the bike for the last 2 months,then pop down to your local garda station and get a "declaration of non use" form filled out and stamped by the garda there.

Very quick and easy to do this.

Then go to the motor taxation office with your stamped form,licence,log book and insurance cert and you can get the bike taxed from present day for the next year,

You wont have to pay for the last 2 months either.;)

Simples. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Thanks guys. I'll print out that form and drop it to the tax office.

Do I need to fill out the past owner period? The last time the bike was taxed was in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

No, this is for back taxing the bike. Page two explains sections. As said get a declaration of non usage stamped otherwise you'll be charged to tax the bike back to 2010.

You will have to pay back tax of 2 months as they will check when the bike ownership was changed. So you'll pay for one year I.e. Feb2012 till feb2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No, this is for back taxing the bike. Page two explains sections. As said get a declaration of non usage stamped otherwise you'll be charged to tax the bike back to 2010.
    OP only has the bike 2 months so they won't be liable for the period before they owned the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Go onto motortax.ie and click on pin retrieval. put in your details exactly as it says on the log book. they will email you a new pin. I did it last week for a school bike i bought last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Roadskill wrote: »
    Go onto motortax.ie and click on pin retrieval. put in your details exactly as it says on the log book. they will email you a new pin. I did it last week for a school bike i bought last month.

100% this, unless your arsed filling out the form and bringing it to the office to get 15 Euros off the tax for the year. Not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just did this now, never knew it existed. Cheers for posting:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This is perfect!! I never knew this was even possible. They seem to hide this sort of information from the user.

I'll give that a go tomorrow :)

Advertisement