Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phpbb upload/restore/overwrite issue

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any experience with phpbb?

A chat forum was set up for a group on free hosting site. After a few weeks I offered to host the forum as a subdomain to a website, which is stored on paid hosting. I created a new DB and set up a blank phpbb forum, with the plan of transferring over all the data.

At first we tried a basic backup/restore from the APCs, but that didn’t bring over any of the users, or posts.

We then exported all the files from the free hosts phpMyAdmin DB and loaded them directly to the DB on the paid site. But while we have a working forum, we don’t have the posts, members or any of the files.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a forum, with all of its content, to another hosting site?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

K_user wrote: »
    Anyone got any experience with phpbb?

A chat forum was set up for a group on free hosting site. After a few weeks I offered to host the forum as a subdomain to a website, which is stored on paid hosting. I created a new DB and set up a blank phpbb forum, with the plan of transferring over all the data.

At first we tried a basic backup/restore from the APCs, but that didn’t bring over any of the users, or posts.

We then exported all the files from the free hosts phpMyAdmin DB and loaded them directly to the DB on the paid site. But while we have a working forum, we don’t have the posts, members or any of the files.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a forum, with all of its content, to another hosting site?

Make sure to edit the config.php file to point to the new database. also from memory with PHPBB you need to delete everything in the "cache" folder when you transfer it to another enviornment so try this and see how you get on.
    To transfer the site do a dump of the old forum db from PHPMyadmin and save it as a BGZiped file or whatever its called.
    Then copy the entire site folder if you can FTP in and transfer its files onto the new site (don't download the new files from phpbb.com). Then create a new db in phpmyadmin, import the sql you exported previously, then look for the config.php file in the files and change the db details to be pointing to the new server, then delete the cache files and see how you get on.
    Will move to development which is more appropriate for this thread

Nick

Advertisement