Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 and new job. URGENT REPLY NEEDED TONIGHT

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey everyone,

I manage to get myself a new job and i start training tomorrow.
    They want my p45 and I'm wondering if the p45 i have is in date and if its not what do I do?.

I finished my first job I ever paid tax for on the 20th of december 2011 and haven't worked since. I revived my p45 but like i said i'm not sure if i can use it because its dated 2011 and the irish tax year is from jan-dec.

Would really appreciate a quick reply.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

it's no good to you

ask your new employer for their PAYE number and ring revenue requesting a certificate of tax credits and standard cut off rates for this employer. mention that you have not worked this year

PS. Congrats on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

You can use the P45. Same answer as I gave in the other thread.

Where a P45 is less than 2 years old the new employer can operate the credits and rate band on the P45 on a temporary basis until the new tax credit certificate is received even where the P45 is for a different year.

Give your new employer the P45. Your new employer should use the details on the P45 on the temporary basis until they receive the new tax credit cert it is not useless just because it is different tax year.

Just make sure your PPS number is on the P45 or you have other proof of it if it's missing they have to operate emergency tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

sorry ; i wasnt aware of this! just had a look at the guide to paye and looks like last years one is ok to use

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Yes here it is - I was being lazy not digging it out but people do like proof of these things. Oh and congrats on the new job as well.

Here's the relevant part in the Guide http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/pa...ommencing.html

7. Where form P45 relates to an earlier tax year

An employer who is given parts 2 and 3 of form P45 for the tax year ended on previous 31 December should act in accordance with paragraph 5. However, where the form does not relate to either the current year or to the previous year, part 3 should be completed and sent to Revenue and the emergency basis (Calculation of Tax Under the PAYE System parts 8 - 9) should be applied.

5. Where the employee gives form P45 to the employer

An employer who is given parts 2 and 3 of form P45 should follow the instructions to the new employer on part 2 of the form. They should retain part 2 of the P45 and immediately send part 3 (and part 4, if given to the employer) to Revenue. This can be done electronically through the Revenue On-Line Service (ROS).

Revenue will issue a tax credit certificate to the new employer.

If a pay day occurs before receipt of either document the new employer should operate PAYE either on the temporary basis (Calculation of Tax Under the PAYE System part 7) or on the emergency basis (Calculation of Tax Under the PAYE System parts 8 - 9)

Where the temporary basis is used, the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point information on the P45 can be used on a week 1/month 1 basis but the previous pay and tax should not be used to operate the PAYE cumulative system. The previous pay and tax will be notified to the employer on the tax credit certificate issued by Revenue (see paragraph 9).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 potatohead90

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply, It turned out they wouldn't accept the P45 but they were cool about it. I just to contact the tax office.

Cheers Guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement