Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours maths help needed!

• 23-04-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can someone post a link to a video or text guide to proof by induction? Seems this is an important question our teacher missed :(

Less urgently, I need an explanation of the factor therom...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Can someone post a link to a video or text guide to proof by induction? Seems this is an important question our teacher missed :(

Less urgently, I need an explanation of the factor therom...

Hey, I'm only on my phone so I can't post any links but if you Google search 'Khan Academy' they should have both covered in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 extremebogman

ok khan academy vid was a great help. thanks. factor theorem still eludes me...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

we didnt do induction or sequences and series...or binomial. is it too late to start learning it now? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

brownstone wrote: »
    we didnt do induction or sequences and series...or binomial. is it too late to start learning it now? :/

considering it could come up in question 1/2 you should

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Question 1/2?? That's algebra..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Am I not right in saying binomial and induction are most likely question 5 and seq+ser are always question 4? Please tell me I'm right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Am I not right in saying binomial and induction are most likely question 5 and seq+ser are always question 4? Please tell me I'm right :pac:

You would be correct but they throw bits of questions in other parts. It's to punish those who don't cover the full course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Uggggggghhhhhhhh we're leaving out a full question and a half because the course is too big, not fair to punish us imo, I didnt want to :(
    I know a bit on complex numbers and the basics of matrices (very basics) and I'm going to know how to solve simultaneous equations using matrices, and I told my teacher we need to do induction, but is binomial expansion necessary?

Tbh if you take some time you can do it yourself it's not too bad. I did them at home but tbh I have 8 very average questions instead of 6 strong ones. They might be a bit kinder this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

because the course is too big,

not its not. I my leaving in 1990 and we did the whole course and there was more on the course then than now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you do anything... do induction. It's ridiculously easy and probably saved me in last year's exam. It was the only "normal" question on last year's paper.

amen wrote: »
    not its not. I my leaving in 1990 and we did the whole course and there was more on the course then than now.

*Cough* Project Maths *Cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

If you do anything... do induction. It's ridiculously easy and probably saved me in last year's exam. It was the only "normal" question on last year's paper.

This. You can get a good chunk of marks without really knowing what's going on. And they're fairly alright questions - if there's a Q with induction part c) I'd be inclined to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Uggggggghhhhhhhh we're leaving out a full question and a half because the course is too big, not fair to punish us imo, I didnt want to :(
    I know a bit on complex numbers and the basics of matrices (very basics) and I'm going to know how to solve simultaneous equations using matrices, and I told my teacher we need to do induction, but is binomial expansion necessary?

Well we've been working off exam papers mainly since january...and we've covered all 8 questions on paper 1! It just depends on whether your teacher wasted time explaining simple enough things in 4th year or not!

I didnt do 4th year and I think its pretty unfair of people who did 4th year to use it to do 5th year material, no one in my class who did TY is ahead of us, and we havent exactly been going at a snail's pace either.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Did anyone do the Exam craft pre? If so, what was it like?

I didnt do 4th year and I think its pretty unfair of people who did 4th year to use it to do 5th year material
    Staying for an extra year of school and using it to study fifth year material is hardly unfair.

It wasnt too bad but the P2 Q8 was absolutely awful.
    Staying for an extra year of school and using it to study fifth year material is hardly unfair.
    It sort of is considering the leaving cert is a two year course...but anyway, thats not the topic of this thread so I wont drag it off course. I know I'm one of the few LCers here who didnt do TY so my opinion wouldnt be very popular, but thats just what it is, my opinion - the year is optional and I dont think I should be at a disadvantage for skipping it.

It sort of is considering the leaving cert is a two year course...but anyway, thats not the topic of this thread so I wont drag it off course. I know I'm one of the few LCers here who didnt do TY so my opinion wouldnt be very popular, but thats just what it is, my opinion - the year is optional and I dont think I should be at a disadvantage for skipping it.
    I didn't do it either but I still don't think it's unfair.

Doing an optional year as a "foundation" for the LC is fair in my book. Saying it's unfair is like saying "3rd years who study the LC course over the summer before the LC have an unfair advantage"

Not very hard at all, but simpler than DEB.

If you can get Q8 on P2 it was grand for the rest, and anyway, if you couldn't get it, it is great to know it's now covered for the actual exam as any question like it is almost exactly the same. The statistics were awfully annoying.. too much writing with no maths involved, and there is a mistake in the Q2 about the Lottery as well (wrong in marking scheme).

But on P1, there were no really hard questions. Just be very careful of your signs! They can go wrong all over the place and in the marking scheme there are some mistakes (Q3 a I think). Also, it covers the rate of change question on Q7 which never seems to come up on the honours papers so it is great revision. But definetly do it if you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Well we've been working off exam papers mainly since january...and we've covered all 8 questions on paper 1! It just depends on whether your teacher wasted time explaining simple enough things in 4th year or not!
    We've been finished the course since February and I didn't do 4th year! :p Everyone seems to be way behind us in their course.. Fairly glad we have such a class teacher :D We have all Paper 1s done as far back as 2003 and nearly all Paper 2s done.. If I don't pass now with all this revision I'll actually cry! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

Does nobody else think that question 4 and 5 can be some of the easiest? I don't understand why more people don't do them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

cillian95 wrote: »
    Does nobody else think that question 4 and 5 can be some of the easiest? I don't understand why more people don't do them?

Q4 & 5 usually are the easiest on the paper! Usually they don't have any tricks in them, like q2 can be riddled with tricks and same with q6. But it just takes time to get accustomed to them. Its extremely easy to get at least 40 out of 50 in Q 4 my teacher said. You just need to learn 2 or 3 formulae for that question.

Q5, if you learn induction, you are sorted! Just know some log rules and how to get the log of both LH/RH. Also, learn biinomial expansion etc. Tr+1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

ChemHickey wrote: »

Q4 & 5 usually are the easiest on the paper! Usually they don't have any tricks in them, like q2 can be riddled with tricks and same with q6. But it just takes time to get accustomed to them. Its extremely easy to get at least 40 out of 50 in Q 4 my teacher said. You just need to learn 2 or 3 formulae for that question.

Q5, if you learn induction, you are sorted! Just know some log rules and how to get the log of both LH/RH. Also, learn biinomial expansion etc. Tr+1 too.
    Any info about line and circle i just cant get my head around them !! When i try and do the exam papers I find myself looking at the question not knowing what to do!! Any advice on how to get the hang of them any1?

Any info about line and circle i just cant get my head around them !! When i try and do the exam papers I find myself looking at the question not knowing what to do!! Any advice on how to get the hang of them any1?

Well the table books will help you hugely there, even if you're not a hundred per cent sure what you're doing. Circle questions can be tricky.

Any particular questions or types of questions? I have edco papers if you're referencing sample papers

Yeah I definitely think I'll be answering them. Induction is fairly easy in fairness, you can pick up a decent amount of marks by bluffing you way through it. Log rules can be read straight from the tables, as can the binomial expansion. And sequence questions are usually the same.

People are mad not to answer it. Must be because loads of teachers don't have time to finish the course or just don't bother with it.

We do Q4 instead of Q3 and we'd try the (a)'s in Q5 but we didnt do induction etc.
    I told my teacher we need to because its been asked in Q4/Q6 before as the entire c part and he said we would but I dunno....might just learn it myself, so worried :/

First of all, if it's the circle, if given the equation, write down the centre and radius. If given a point (tangental) you can find the equation using the perpendicular distance formula. if it's finding the equation of a circle by given 3 variables, write all in terms of g f c.

With the line, find x and y intercepts. Find slope.
    if given two lines, find slopes(if you can) and you'll probably have to find a second slope if given an angle (45*) usually.them use the tanθ formula.

• Advertisement

We do Q4 instead of Q3 and we'd try the (a)'s in Q5 but we didnt do induction etc.
    I told my teacher we need to because its been asked in Q4/Q6 before as the entire c part and he said we would but I dunno....might just learn it myself, so worried :/

Definitely look over it. a proof (standard proof) is due up which will either appear in q 5 or 6. it's easy to do and takes very little time to write. may take a while if you're not good abstractly, but well worth it. Its used all throughout college as well. And if you're thinking on doing maths/science in college, I don't know why you're leaving out q3! Complex numbers appear everywhere and matrices even are used in business!

Advertisement