Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the craic with WoW these days?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I recently posted in the SWTOR forum asking about that game as I want to get back to some MMO after my leaving cert is done with. Originally I had intended on starting SWTOR as i wanted a new challenge but a friend of mine wants to go back to WoW and id rather be with him then alone so im kinda shopping around. I ended my sub in september 2010 a few weeks before cata came out so i know the story until then, what im wondering is: how is WoW doing now? Is it finally coming into its waning years or are things okay? im kinda skeptical about going back in july cos i (may be wrong) think that all or most of the raid content is done with and people are already prepping themselves for MoP and i am afraid ill be bored outta my skin with not much to do. Is there still fun to be had or would i be better off going elsewhere?

PS iv been looking at Mists of Pandaria too so that is part of my thinking as to whether or not itd be worth coming back cos i want a game i can get back into for a while.

PPS im looking at this from a raiding and pvp point. if i were to come back itd be with a view to go at some progressive raiding and ****loads of pvp if that helps you make suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

I can't give you any suggestions for the game itself but from what you said you don't have cata expansion. So get someone to send you a SoR, the account will get upgraded to cata for free plus you get a free level 80

Not sure if there is an expiration date on this offer so sign up soon i'd say in case there is.

http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/scroll-of-resurrection-faq

cheers,
    tom

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Screw the scroll of res. Hes asking wether or not its worth coming back.. A week of gametime isnt gonna sort that! M8, nothin we can say will decide wether or not u should come back, did u like the game b4 u left? If yes, then come back. Ppl wil stil be raiding, not like ppl prepare for mists by NOT raiding??!

2 months from now, everything will be the exact same as it is right now, **** guilds wil stil be ****! And the good guilds wil be stil raiding, hopefully with everything on farm!

So if u dont like wow, dont come back. But if u do, im sure when you come bck ul have a great time. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i just came back casually, after about 2 years aswell. im not paying to play though, im playing wotlk on 'molten wow'. its the same as retail (apart from leveling quicker) and i loved wotlk so im happy as larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I think you should watch some Videos of Mists's of Pandaria, Jesse Cox on Youtube has a lot of content for Pandaria out on his Channel. If you feel like you like the direction that wow is heading then you might enjoy going back.

World of Warcraft was/is (was imo) a fantastic game. There are tons of content and lots of fun elements to the game but also there are some serious issues with the game which have forced a lot of people to leave the game.

First off wow is near 8 years old and while i believe it was fantastic in its day. But i believe their archaic business plan and game-play elements will leave you looking for something a bit more.

WoW was fine back in the day. The text based quests where great and a lot of people really enjoyed the game but a lot more people have moved on from that and find that wow feels very outdated.

I dont want to go into a long argument about World of Warcraft and its design choices of the last few years. But what you can take from this is that if you where a wow player and left and now want to go back chances are high within 2 months you might leave again ( trust me ive done this at least 20 times ).

My advice If you are shopping around for a new MMO to join then i think you should start watching some videos of Guild Wars 2. It will have no monthly Subscription fee either and only a one time purchase to own the game.

It also is a triple A game that looks fantastic. Beta weekend is this weekend for anyone who pre-purchased the game and there will be some streams up if you want to check it out.

=]

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Cheers for the swift replies guys.
    @tom - Im not able to play til summer so ill have to wait anyway and im not really interested in 7days, if im gonna pick anything up itll be to play it properly.

@cope - as i said im more progression based and tbh i found WoTLK to be a little boring, i much preferred TBC

@mikey - yeah thats a good idea i was looking at some videos before but i hadnt checked his out thanks. ive heard loads about GW2 so i was planning on getting that anyway but its not gonna be out for a good while i thought? or maybe im wrong. i didnt leave for dislike of wow i just wasnt allowed keep it with school n all. i was only able to keep the xbox cos it was broken at the time and after id fixed it my parents didnt really care haha

I have time to research my options so ill be grand, was just wondering what other warcrafters experiences have been with cata and what their plans are with MoP. if anyone else has any other thoughts id be glad to hear, im pretty open as far as options go.

thanks again guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Nice one! :D and hmm guild wars release should be the end of June i reckon judging by how fast the game is progressing and the fact beta is almost upon us :D so i would say June at the latest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

I wouldn't hold out much hope for GW2, it's NCsoft, everything they ever touch turns to shít.
    I'm told at least you can actually jump in this new GW, there's something at least.

Mikey stop trying to pouch the wow players ... No1 wants to join your crappy Mountain guild :p

Also D3 is being released soon.. So to hell with GW2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness I put a pre order down on GW2 in HMV, selling for €30.

For a free mmo wont be too bad to plug away at

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I think the date for MoP thats kicking about at the minute is some time in June/July, so it will be a decent time to start back things will be very active with a new expansion out or very nearly out.

The game has lost some subs, I think its peak was 11.3 ish then it dropped to around 9 million is it?

People love to point this out and say WoW is dieing, which quite frankly is ridiculous, how many wow killers have came and gone without killing it?

Games like Swtor, Rift, Aion etc are all lucky to get about 1 million subs. WoW is still the biggest mmo out there, wether or not its the best is down to the individual.

Things are looking good in MoP from a pvp point of view, seem's it will be less blowing people in in single GCD's. Havent seen a lot of PvE content yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

started playing on a pure pvp server on molten yesterday, you create a toon and its instant 80 with unlimited gold and access to the furious set (its woltk for another 2 weeks, theyre updating this server to cata then), theres a zero wait tim on horde anyways, havent tried alliance yet.

great craic, free gems ect. makes for some interesting bg's.

gonna speck a warr in tank gear tonight, see if theres any craic with tank spec in it!!

highly recommend it for the pvp side of the game without having to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

wow is still wow, only it keeps getting better. more rares and quest and bug fixes.

You best be trollin... -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nialinius

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    I think you should watch some Videos of Mists's of Pandaria, Jesse Cox on Youtube has a lot of content for Pandaria out on his Channel.

Him and Crendor are awesome youtubers. I reckon I will be getting MoP when it is released but I doubt it will be as epic as the previous expansions. Wotlk was my favourite expansion (Storm Peaks ftw) but MoP should be good anyway.

Soon I'll be getting a gamer PC so I'll be looking at many other MMOs worth trying like GW2. Might even do some videos of them too :D

Advertisement